Call for Thai liquor industry to 'practise modesty'

webfact

The people who dream these things up live in a world of their own.

Prostitution is illegal yet it is the realms biggest industry...'biggest employer'

Gambling is illegal but it's openly engaged in...

Fornicating with the neighbours wife (or daughter) is frowned upon (according to their religion) but they are all at it including senior monks.

Drugs are likewise illegal 'refer to the line above.

It has long been and will continue to be a joke in the eyes of the world bah.gif

And that can apply to many other countries too.

Wow you don't say! problem is the thread is on forum and the subject is about Thailands over the top drinking problem.

why not contribute to answering on the topic, to answer like this is a cop out....have you any opinion on the subject ??

The biggest problem in Thailand is the authorities want majority of the public to adhere to the drinking announcements, and the elite CAN drink in hotels, but you cannot drink in a bar. Where is the logic ???--- meaning some holidaymakers can drink and others cannot. Brill for tourism, and NO farm person is going to stop drinking or local shop not selling.

• Like 1

I suppose like all other religions, Buddhism needs to be watered down to make it convenient for the masses.

It's not 'Buddhism' per se. I know just a handful of Thais who observe Khao Pansa, the rest just go on getting pissed.

Everything here's skewed to accommodate the locals wants and needs, even 'religion'. Much like my large Thai Muslim neighbours carrying on feeding their faces all day, even though it's Ramadam. I asked a Thai Muslim shopkeeper if she observed the fast, she said 'In Thailand most observe for the first and last days of the month's fast only'.

I'm pretty sure they have no idea that the reason for the fast is to enable them to concentrate their thinking on spiritual matters. Yes, well ...

Edited by jpeg

Well in my small country village the shops will still sell alcohol as per normal in knowing the police don't come to check out here but yet will still be a little bit wary as obviously they know it would be better if they didn't sell so the alcoholics will still be drunk as per normal but the majority of people will stop and reap the benefits of it's purpose to refill themselves with inner peace and happiness. :)

It won't help the Tourist Industry.

Observing Buddhist Lent is all very nice and I accept that, BUT what about tourists who have paid a lot of money to visit LOS and in most cases, their travel agent will have neglected to tell them about LENT Restrictions on Alcohol?

Could you imagine a group arriving to celebrate a member's birthday or whatever in Thailand, only to find out they could face heafty fines or be chucked in the Cells if they get caught drinking?

Even if they get away with having a drink, they'll go home and warn people to avoid Thailand like the plague.

Observing Buddhist Lent is all very nice and I accept that, BUT what about tourists who have paid a lot of money to visit LOS and in most cases, their travel agent will have neglected to tell them about LENT Restrictions on Alcohol?

Could you imagine a group arriving to celebrate a member's birthday or whatever in Thailand, only to find out they could face heafty fines or be chucked in the Cells if they get caught drinking?

Even if they get away with having a drink, they'll go home and warn people to avoid Thailand like the plague.

Ya millions will quit coming Thailand because they can not buy alcohol On the two days opening lent. they plan a big booze party in a foreign country to celebrate a birthday and forget to see what the alcohol laws are.

Probably be on the headlines of all the Major news papers around the world.

They could follow the plain packaging of cigarettes by putting all booze in brown paper bags, and make the Beer girls wear sack cloth?

Beer girls in sack cloth ! Ooohhh, I love it when you talk dirty

Wait until you see their ashes!!!

They could follow the plain packaging of cigarettes by putting all booze in brown paper bags, and make the Beer girls wear sack cloth?

Wait until you see their ashes!

Wait until you see their ashes!

OOOi, I can hardly keep my hands to myself, only myself. You bad boy

this option is by far the most ridiculous i have ever seen , seeing someone drink from a brown paper bag tells he is drinking alcohol

it is the same nonsense as blurring out the cigarette someone is smoking in a movie while the smoke is still coming from his mouth and the hand that holds it

Maybe you need to get out of the other side of the bed.

How does an industry practice modesty?

An industry can practice modesty by taking social responsibility. Quite common in the West, who the experts here normally love to compare Thailand to! whistling.gif

Funny enough, whenever something pops up, intended to limit your basic right to kill yourself with alcohol, there is no reaction from the Thais, but the everthirsty expatcommunity gets all animated!

It really makes no sense to place responsibility upon the supplier rather than the consumer. The supplier will always supply. The consumer has a CHOICE. Limit freedoms and you encourage excess regarding consumption over that which you are seeking to control. It's government controlled and therefore doomed to fail. It's never effective but it does feeds the egos of the dimwits in charge of controlling.

• Like 1

Ya millions will quit coming Thailand because they can not buy alcohol On the two days opening lent. they plan a big booze party in a foreign country to celebrate a birthday and forget to see what the alcohol laws are.

Probably be on the headlines of all the Major news papers around the world.

Great points gents and you'd like to think that good travel agents around the world would be on this and advise accordingly but lots won't because they're not that clued up or simply want the booking and let their clients find out for themselves.

Well in my small country village the shops will still sell alcohol as per normal in knowing the police don't come to check out here but yet will still be a little bit wary as obviously they know it would be better if they didn't sell so the alcoholics will still be drunk as per normal but the majority of people will stop and reap the benefits of it's purpose to refill themselves with inner peace and happiness. smile.png

In my small country village the local shop/restaurant is owned and run by the village cop. Business as usual, of course.i

• Like 2

Well in my small country village the shops will still sell alcohol as per normal in knowing the police don't come to check out here but yet will still be a little bit wary as obviously they know it would be better if they didn't sell so the alcoholics will still be drunk as per normal but the majority of people will stop and reap the benefits of it's purpose to refill themselves with inner peace and happiness. smile.png

In my small country village the local shop/restaurant is owned and run by the village cop. Business as usual, of course.i

Yes that is the reality of it.

EDIT : Sorry for this double post of mine but actually I only clicked the button once then it stalled then took me to a blank error page then when I reloaded this page I saw that my above reply had been double posted.

Edited by Shagz