Assist Thai Visa Services

Mekong Bob

Ok, but doing it yourself is actually easy and cheaper! .....................................

No doubt about it.... Doing it yourself is cheaper. That's fact.

But if it was so easy, why are there thousands of posts by hundreds of different people asking so many different questions about it. Wouldn't they just do it?

Not to say that dealing with Immigration is rocket science. Obviously it's not. But it IS 'jumping through hoops.' Not everyone feels like doing that.

So we each weigh the options; is it worth it to us to spend money not to have to jump through the hoops, or spend time and do it yourself. TNSTAAFL.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, but doing it yourself is actually easy and cheaper! .....................................

But if it was so easy, why are there thousands of posts by hundreds of different people asking so many different questions about it. Wouldn't they just do it?

Not to say that dealing with Immigration is rocket science. Obviously it's not. But it IS 'jumping through hoops.' Not everyone feels like doing that.

So we each weigh the options; is it worth it to us to spend money not to have to jump through the hoops, or spend time and do it yourself. TNSTAAFL.

It is easy to do just made more difficult by lack of preparation and planning by a lot of people. Usually the ones who complain the most.
  • Like 1

Physically and in terms of effort, I don't think there's much difference between the two options, using an agent or going to Immigration. But phsycologically there's a massive difference, just the idea of knowing I have to go to Immigration and what might happen, in light of the myriad of things that have happened in the past, is a real strain, for that reason I'm happy to leave it to an agent to take care of while I play golf or similar.

• Like 2

Physically and in terms of effort, I don't think there's much difference between the two options, using an agent or going to Immigration. But phsycologically there's a massive difference, just the idea of knowing I have to go to Immigration and what might happen, in light of the myriad of things that have happened in the past, is a real strain, for that reason I'm happy to leave it to an agent to take care of while I play golf or similar.

Yes, but think of the people who want you to waste your time, the same as them.

Even though they are in and out in 5 minutes laugh.png

Edited by uptheos

Ok, but doing it yourself is actually easy and cheaper! And, to answer the penultimate post, yes, you have to show up personally for extensions of permission to stay and (probably; not sure) any re-entry visas. That's basically once a year, if you get a multiple-entry visa. Is that too much to do ?!

Actually, it's more than I WANT to do. Although I'm perfectly capable of handling the immigration process alone I choose not to.

I just renewed my Thai drivers license, with the necessary paperwork, medical documents, etc by myself but the Land Transport Building is big and not as crowded as that tiny Immigration building. Probably my distaste for Immigration stems from my one and only extended visit there when I first arrived in Chiang Mai, about 20 months ago. The place was chaotic, packed with people, and after several unpleasant hours of waiting I vowed to avoid a similar experience if possible. It sounds as if Immigration is more organized now and maybe in the future I'll decide to renew by myself but for now am very happy that Assist Thai Visa offers this service. It's worth the cost for me.

Never understood the "jumping through hoops" comment,prevalent over the years.What "hoops" are we talking about ? its just basic paperwork requirements if you have a legal visa.The web site tells you exactly what you need to do and if in doubt ask the Imm staff or read the posts.

I can understand people that are working full time or disabled in some way using an agent but for us ageing retirees its a relative breeze.My on line booking and 4 visits for 90 day reporting (late afternoon) takes about 1.5 hours years out of my life every 12 months.

Never understood the "jumping through hoops" comment,prevalent over the years.What "hoops" are we talking about ? its just basic paperwork requirements if you have a legal visa.The web site tells you exactly what you need to do and if in doubt ask the Imm staff or read the posts.

I can understand people that are working full time or disabled in some way using an agent but for us ageing retirees its a relative breeze.My on line booking and 4 visits for 90 day reporting (late afternoon) takes about 1.5 hours years out of my life every 12 months.

I glad to know that you are happy with dealing with the required basic paper work.

As I said, we all are free to choose how and what we spend; time or money.

I beg to defer with you FG on the DIY 90 day being cheaper and easier.............when you live on the far outskirts of the city and have to drive 30k to the office, my fuel cost alone for that return trip is 200thb and you all know that a trip to the city always results in lunch and a shopping excursion for the wife.........since we're there.

Then if you are lucky enough to get in and out in an hour and lucky enough to find parking, what's 3 to 4 hrs of your time worth?? Mine is for sure worth more than 50thb!! So, unless AsistThai raises their prices drastically, I'll go the easier and cheaper way with them.

I was in their office yesterday and spoke to the falang and asked if their rates were increasing and he said that maybe, because of another new regulation saying that the 90 day slips may have to be mailed in and that will involve extra expenses in postage........fair enough, but I do worry about the Thai postal system, as I mailed in my 90 day check in a couple of years ago by registered mail and it took 2 months to make it from Doi Saket to the Immigration office.

I beg to defer with you FG on the DIY 90 day being cheaper and easier.............when you live on the far outskirts of the city and have to drive 30k to the office, my fuel cost alone for that return trip is 200thb and you all know that a trip to the city always results in lunch and a shopping excursion for the wife.........since we're there.

Then if you are lucky enough to get in and out in an hour and lucky enough to find parking, what's 3 to 4 hrs of your time worth?? Mine is for sure worth more than 50thb!! So, unless AsistThai raises their prices drastically, I'll go the easier and cheaper way with them.

I was in their office yesterday and spoke to the falang and asked if their rates were increasing and he said that maybe, because of another new regulation saying that the 90 day slips may have to be mailed in and that will involve extra expenses in postage........fair enough, but I do worry about the Thai postal system, as I mailed in my 90 day check in a couple of years ago by registered mail and it took 2 months to make it from Doi Saket to the Immigration office.

Hey! Careful with your attributions! That was Mapguy who said that.

Personally, I find Assist Thai Visa to be just my cup of tea, and I live withing walking distance! I'm more than content to simply bring them my business once a year, sit there for five minutes, and not deal with it for another year. Unless there is another regulation change that suddenly comes up, that is. Then I'll walk over and spend another 5 minutes. Frankly, if it cost more money I wouldn't change a thing. Time and money well spent. smile.png

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

Hey! Careful with your attributions! That was Mapguy who said that.

Personally, I find Assist Thai Visa to be just my cup of tea, and I live withing walking distance! I'm more than content to simply bring them my business once a year, sit there for five minutes, and not deal with it for another year. Unless there is another regulation change that suddenly comes up, that is. Then I'll walk over and spend another 5 minutes. Frankly, if it cost more money I wouldn't change a thing. Time and money well spent. smile.png

Sorry FG..........I read the post that MG wrote and should have addressed it to him, not you. Glad to hear that you are supporting ATV, as I hope that they stay in business and agree with you that is a good deal @1,000thb/year, but hope that it won't go up and that the immigration office doesn't push that postal regulation thru.

• Like 1

If, as sante asserts, it involved just 10 minutes at immigration with the Thai Assist girl then there is a huge difference vs. hours of heat and bustle involved in doing it yourself. Though it proved too much to hope for Thai Assist to do it all still, until there is a substantial improvement of system and delay, I'll employ them.

Now you go and pick up the original from the service doing the 90 day reports. What happens when the next report is due? Do you have to drop off the original to be filed with the form? Then what do you have in your passport?

I asked this question when I went in today. The answer was: 'we don't know what will be the case next week. The requirements often change from week to week, and you're not due for another two months, but we WILL keep you informed.'

That was more than satisfactory for me. It's less of an imposition for me to go to their office than to the Immigration Office, I don't have to make appointments, there is always parking right in front if I choose to drive, but about an hour's pleasant walk if I choose to do that.

Let me get this rite.

They are selling a one year service to do some thing they say changes week to week.

A service that by all reports recently is tops of 1/2 hour

I was in yesterday to do my yearly extension expected to be told come back tomorrow as it was 9:00 in the morning. Was told come back at 3:00 got there at 2:30 and had a chance to watch the proceeding. At 4: 00 you could have gotten any kind of reentry or 30 day extension as there was no one there waiting for it just walk up to the counter. I didn't see any at the marriage desk either.

In the Two Hours I was there (yes I got my one year extension) the 90 day report was max 10 minutes only one lady doing it and she was idle a lot.

At 9:00 in the morning and 2:30 in the afternoon we got a parking spot in the parking lot.

So, you've finished with Songtels? biggrin.png

It's a sad happy story but stay tuned. I have a list pasted on my computer of about 8 words maybe if I get the correct spelling I will add it. Maybe not it seems to be a source of posting conversation.facepalm.gif

Glad to hear that you are supporting ATV, as I hope that they stay in business and agree with you that is a good deal @1,000thb/year, but hope that it won't go up and that the immigration office doesn't push that postal regulation thru.

Actually your a little behind on recent changes at Assist

The new price at Assist is 1500 baht per year/375 baht per 90 day.

Still a good deal I guess for folks like you that live way out there?

As for the postal regulations??? If you mean Thai Assist claims that they need for you to pick up the original slip

from them that is not a new reg or one to be pushed thru.

It was always the rule that you need the original in your passport but was not a problem since

Thai assist was taking it ( the original ) with them each time to get your new one. Then they would email you a copy as you know since your a customer.

The problem probably started recently when folks started doing their own 90 day & went in with the copy given them by Assist.

At that point Immigration probably wanted to know why a copy. They are told that is what Assist gave them. Now Assist has asked all to come get their originals.

Which of course you will need to drop off again or mail to Assist if you want them to do your next 90 day unless of course

Assist gets a gimme on that? wink.png

Edited by meechai

I would like to add my opinion.

My opinion is that it is a matter of personal opinion in most cases. There are sadly some who it is a physical impossibility.

Then there is the rest of us. I do my own not to save money but it is a time filler. I am retired and no longer work. So I have lots of free time. I did not retire so I would not have enough free time to do a simple thing like drop in to immigration 4 times a year for up to half an hour. To me that is nothing all told the time getting there and home about an hour. It is a pretty sad retirement that would not allow that. I find it some thing different to do and a lot of times tie it in with a movie. Yes I realize to some that also is a waste of time.

The word psychologically came up. I am with folkguiitar on that one paper work is a psychologically demon to me.But I have the assistance of a knowledgeable wife and so manage to deal with it. All this is done at home of course so going in is just a formality to me.Truth be known if I chose to apply myself I could handle it by my self but why bother when I have a wife who is good at it.

Then we come to the yearly extensions. Yes they can be depressing if you allow it. I take my kindle with me and am quite happy sitting in the corner with it. Once again for me the psychologically aspect comes up what if I got it wrong this time or what if they have changed the system. Those are fears that an outfit such as Thai Assist can very easily deal with. Not that I am a miser but 5,000 baht seemed like a lot of money for that to me. That is the figure I was quoted when I met one of the fellows at an ex pat coffee several months back. I can supply my meds for a month with that kind of money and as I said I am retired and have left myself a lot of time to make adjustments with ease. So I bypass that solution and take my chances doing it in person and put up with my so far unfounded fears.

My physical may get to the point where this is to much for me and if it does I will with out a word of regret get an outfit such as Thai Assist to do it for me. Or for the ninety days have the wife take them in. I do hope that is a long long time in the future in fact I hope to never get that bad.

To each there own. No need to defend them it is just doing the same thing in a manner each one of us prefers.

Glad to hear that you are supporting ATV, as I hope that they stay in business and agree with you that is a good deal @1,000thb/year, but hope that it won't go up and that the immigration office doesn't push that postal regulation thru.

I renewed in September for 1,000 baht.

Guess you were lucky then wink.png

Rhys Bonney there at Assist

Said 1500 now due to "Office Expenses" smile.png

He also claimed most other services charge more so they felt it is fair.

No problem but it is now 1500 baht year for other/possible customers information.

PS: It is 1000 though if you do your yearly extension with them.

Although reading what you get for the yearly I cannot imagine anyone paying 5k + fees for that.

You basically still fill out all the forms but they drive you there? Then you wait in their car?

Then interview & they drive you back? Sheesh makes one think they should wear kiddy knickers

Edited by meechai

Guess you were lucky then wink.png

Rhys Bonney there at Assist

Said 1500 now due to "Office Expenses" smile.png

He also claimed most other services charge more so they felt it is fair.

No problem but it is now 1500 baht year for other/possible customers information.

PS: It is 1000 though if you do your yearly extension with them.

Although reading what you get for the yearly I cannot imagine anyone paying 5k + fees for that.

You basically still fill out all the forms but they drive you there? Then you wait in their car?

Then interview & they drive you back? Sheesh makes one think they should wear kiddy knickers

Not lucky, just had a word with one of the ladies.

There's no way I would do my yearly for 5k, it's so easy to book an appointment online and it's just 15 minutes with the officer and 15-30 minutes waiting for passport and receipt. 30-45 minutes at immigration once a year is plenty.

There's no way I would do my yearly for 5k, it's so easy to book an appointment online and it's just 15 minutes with the officer and 15-30 minutes waiting for passport and receipt. 30-45 minutes at immigration once a year is plenty.

That is exactly what happened with me.

A lady called me I believe she is Wanissa the owner

Asked me if I would renew I said no since it is 1500 now & Immigration is so easy I would go myself.

I said i thought 1000 was a good deal though & probably would have had the price still been 1k

She said ok please come down with your passport & renew for 1000

Went down & was given the story about office expenses by Rhys Bonney there at Assist

So as I said no problem but thought it was odd to tell me come down then that.

That is exactly what happened with me.

A lady called me I believe she is Wanissa the owner

Asked me if I would renew I said no since it is 1500 now & Immigration is so easy I would go myself.

I said i thought 1000 was a good deal though & probably would have had the price still been 1k

She said ok please come down with your passport & renew for 1000

Went down & was given the story about office expenses by Rhys Bonney there at Assist

So as I said no problem but thought it was odd to tell me come down then that.

When offering money always speak to the Thai, it's not often refused.

laugh.png yes understood & would have but was greeted by the falang

as he was hovering behind the counter girls

There are actually two of them ( falangs )now as they also sell insurance.

You know at the end of the day it is all good because I had just finished doing this years

1 year marriage based & also picked up my stamp after the 30 day wait.

Because of that I realized how changed Immigration really is so it was not a big deal to say

no problem to the falang.

Truthfully with having to pick up & maybe drop off? your original 90 day paper each of the

4 times now at Assist it is actually easier for me to go myself as the distance to both Assist &

Imm is the same for me. So it all worked out in the end

Edited by meechai

laugh.png yes understood & would have but was greeted by the falang

as he was hovering behind the counter girls

There are actually two of them ( falangs )now as they also sell insurance.

You know at the end of the day it is all good because I had just finished doing this years

1 year marriage based & also picked up my stamp after the 30 day wait.

Because of that I realized how changed Immigration really is so it was not a big deal to say

no problem to the falang.

Truthfully with having to pick up & maybe drop off? your original 90 day paper each of the

4 times now at Assist it is actually easier for me to go myself as the distance to both Assist &

Imm is the same for me. So it all worked out in the end

Yep, it's nice to hear that immigration is getting easier......I like everyone to get their visas/reports with as little hassle as possible. I'm sure it will start getting busier in November though, but hopefully it will never return to the chaotic place it was.

Actually, for the yearly extension I didn't have to do any of the paperwork, possibily because they've done my previous extension. I arrived at the Assist Thai Visa office with my passport and notarized income letter from the consulate. They took my photo, filled out the paperwork, and made all the copies. All I did was review the applications and then sign a pile of papers. Then I was told I would have to either meet them or be driven to Immigration sometime early next week (my initial appointment was on a Wednesday or Thursday, I've forgotten). I was surprised to get a call from an ATV employee the next day, saying my paperwork was ready and could I meet her at immigration. I couldn't, I was busy but we made an appointment for Monday. I opted to go to the office and drive there with her because I didn't want to take a chance of having to wait for her and spend unnecessary time at Immigration. Right before I arrived at the Assist office someone had driven over my paperwork so it was done by the time I arrived in person at Immigration.

As I've said in an earlier post, I'm glad they offer the service. If they decide to wear kiddy knickers, the entertainment factor will make the cost even more worthwhile to me.

As for the postal regulations??? If you mean Thai Assist claims that they need for you to pick up the original slip

from them that is not a new reg or one to be pushed thru.

It was always the rule that you need the original in your passport but was not a problem since

Thai assist was taking it ( the original ) with them each time to get your new one. Then they would email you a copy as you know since your a customer.

The problem probably started recently when folks started doing their own 90 day & went in with the copy given them by Assist.

At that point Immigration probably wanted to know why a copy. They are told that is what Assist gave them. Now Assist has asked all to come get their originals.

Which of course you will need to drop off again or mail to Assist if you want them to do your next 90 day unless of course

Assist gets a gimme on that? wink.png

At 1500 for 4 reportings I think that is too much now. I will go myself. Sorry Assist.

Could someone enlighten me as to why things seem to have got easier down at Immigration? Last time I went there, personally, I wasted 2 days after missing a ticket number that meant I could be dealt with that day-there were zillions of Burmese or other ethnic guest workers getting permits-what has changed?

BTW, I haven't been there since March.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1