Obsession with measuring BP at hospitals

SnareBear

What's up with this obsession with measuring blood pressure and weight at the hospitals here?

Every time you go to the hospital you are forced to do it no matter how trivial your visit is.

I recently removed two liver spots from my face. I had to come back every other day for the doctor to check my progress. Every time Im forced to measure BP. It doesnt matter if I complain and say "you think my weight and BP has changed from two days ago?"

Also, it seems like the BP can vary considerably during the day, or the equipment is faulty. I got in the range of 130/90 to 145/80. Ok, it is in the high range, but how is that a good indication of my cardio-vascular health?

Maybe the hospital is just trying to cover their ass. In case I die in the hospital, they can always say they checked my BP and everything was fine.

They also calculate BMI, which is a pretty useless measure of fitness.

• Like 1

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the time it is not taken correctly anyway. Either the arm band is put on to tight or loose .They do not understand when you show them the correct fitting.

That is in most cases but not all that I have experienced here.

• Like 1

There is no charge for the BP check and checking the weight. It is included in the office visit. I'm not sure where some of you come from but it is SOP in the USA too.

I'm assuming the OP went to Dr. Siri at his Sriphat clinic. For some reason he likes to have the BP and weight checked twice in 30 minutes. Never could understand that.

Yes the BP will be different each time.

• Like 1

I have high B.P.

Now using Dr. Morgan her machine had a 'Arm Band' which was too tight.

She told me this would result in a high reading which she allowed for, Dr Tavachai had told me same many years ago but he also has one with a large Arm band, which is difficult to obtain.

I bought an Omron 'Wrist' monitor and have used that for last 6 months.

The 'Tech' at the Parmacy explained that my upper arm size was 46 cms and most 'Arm Bands' only go up too 42 cms.

A tight arm band gives a higher then correct reading a loose band giving a low reading.

BP vaires over course of a day and will be high after any strenuous activity so your advised to check same time each day when not under stress.

john

Its another procedure they can charge you for if they wish.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They can charge you if you go to a private hospital

In state hospitals checking BP, weight, temperature and even height, is included in the charge for the doctor's consult.

It is a part of the consult....simple.

And the results can be very useful for the doctor

Edited by hansnl
  • Like 2

One nurse wanted to check my weight one hour after another one already had. I told her, "I don't think it's changed."

At BPH they also usually check my height. Once when they tried that the third time in two weeks, I just walked away commenting it was probably the same as two days ago ... and got a nasty look from the nurse.

They don't charge for checking BP & weight and, if it were accurate, the BP check could be useful. I doubt the nurse checking you in before seeing the doctor knows how often or how recently those things were checked.

The accuracy is the major issue I have with the whole thing. When I see the cardiologist my BP is checked by a nurse using a machine before seeing him and then he checks it the old fashion way with the stethoscope and sphygmomanometer. His results are always close to what I get when checking at home and always considerably different from what the nurse-operated machine comes up with.

Edited by Suradit69

There is no charge for the BP check and checking the weight. It is included in the office visit. I'm not sure where some of you come from but it is SOP in the USA too.

I'm assuming the OP went to Dr. Siri at his Sriphat clinic. For some reason he likes to have the BP and weight checked twice in 30 minutes. Never could understand that.

Yes the BP will be different each time.

Most times before you get to the hospital you may have been driving or perhaps climbed stairs etc before the first check.

By 30 minutes later you will probably be more relaxed and will show an improved set of figures.

Better check too often than never. If the nurses check every time, they won´t forgetsmile.png .

Does any of you know, how many millions just in Thailand, who have undetected high blood-pressure, that could and should be treatedwhistling.gif ?

Edited by Xonax

One nurse wanted to check my weight one hour after another one already had. I told her, "I don't think it's changed."

At BPH they also usually check my height. Once when they tried that the third time in two weeks, I just walked away commenting it was probably the same as two days ago ... and got a nasty look from the nurse.

They don't charge for checking BP & weight and, if it were accurate, the BP check could be useful. I doubt the nurse checking you in before seeing the doctor knows how often or how recently those things were checked.

The accuracy is the major issue I have with the whole thing. When I see the cardiologist my BP is checked by a nurse using a machine before seeing him and then he checks it the old fashion way with the stethoscope and sphygmomanometer. His results are always close to what I get when checking at home and always considerably different from what the nurse-operated machine comes up with.

Actually I am very surprised that all of the equipment in Thai hospitals (from the digital thermometers, IV machines, all the way up to surgical equipment) is calibrated on a regular basis. Every machine has a little sticker on it with the date and name of company/technician who calibrated it. I have a good friend who is a senior nurse here in C.M. (senior in rank but in her 30's wink.png ) and for a while she was the one who scheduled the appointments with all the companies to come and calibrate. She said those service companies are a huge business in Thailand that employ many, many thousands of people throughout the Kingdom.

All M.D.'s use the stethoscope and sphygmomanometer method of checking blood pressure. I think this is true in every country of the world. It is the most accurate. The digital device is used by the nursing/admitting staff only.

Edited by elektrified

If you check your invoice after the visit you will see that they have charged Baht 150 for taking blood pressure and weight, etc.

I once went back to BHP to get a receipt checked and was sitting in reception when the nurse came up and insisted that she checked my BP and weight. She was halfway through the process before I got it across to her that I was not there for any medical condition!

Just confirms the belief that BHP is just a money making machine.

There is a very good reason for the blood pressure reading by the nurse to be higher...have you ever seen an ugly one?

For the very pretty ones you can string the procedure out for a long while....just keep making the arm band come loose.

• Like 1

High blood pressure has no symptoms so you could have blood pressure that is dangerously high and not be aware of it. I was only diagnosed because I ASKED the doctor (in Scotland) to check it. It was 200 / 150! Now, with medication and a change of life style (retired and living here) it averages at 115 / 74.

I have a wrist monitor and the readings from it are usually close to that obtained at the Bangkok Pattaya hospital even allowing for the fact that I have walked to the hospital from the bus station.

Alan

BP is the simplest and best predictor of cvd and premature death in a health professionals toolkit

it is not so much the number that matters ( although of course it is important) so much as the pattern over time. ask the health care professional to do both arms, not just one. BMi is also a good predictor of your future health. keep in mind that hospitals do research and every bit of information collected from people like you can also help predict patterns in the larger population and help with treatment and drug therapies.

think of it as a community service which benefits you too.

• Like 1