Live-in housemaid/houseboy

ESCAPIS

My experience was the maid came with the house but maybe there are agencies these days. Before, if you were a new build or renter, then the word-of-mouth and whatever local grapevine used to be the norm. Once again, the landlord, security guard, motorcycle taxi guy or even a neighbour may know of someone looking for a position. Maybe the local 7-eleven or mom and pop store can assist?

I believe the really good ones are mostly accounted for so there may be a trial and error process before getting a compatible maid. There's also the option of a relative of your Thai partner (if you have such) being available? Over the years, there are less Thai and more Cambodian and Burmese maids and the latter two bring the added consideration of needing work permits so maybe agencies are much better positioned to handle all that.

Otherwise, places like Pattaya do have outcall maid services that can come by 2 or 3 or more days/week, depending on how messy things get. I am sure Bangkok has even more of the same. More expensive maybe but something to consider while shopping around. May get lucky and hire one of the agency staff if they do the work right.

Good luck!

Edited by NanLaew

My wifes younger brother has worked for me for over 4 years he does every thing cooks, cleans, does the garden, shops at times, cleans the car pays the bills for us but with my money :) fixers odd jobs around the house.

I pay him approx 7000 to 8000 bhat a month he works 5 and a half days a week. Starts at 8 finishes at around 5-15

My wifes younger brother has worked for me for over 4 years he does every thing cooks, cleans, does the garden, shops at times, cleans the car pays the bills for us but with my money smile.png fixers odd jobs around the house.

I pay him approx 7000 to 8000 bhat a month he works 5 and a half days a week. Starts at 8 finishes at around 5-15

She has two young brothers eh at 8k............hm..........whistling.gif ............smile.png

• Like 1

I also head the "brother" history before.

We would never have a live in house maid for many reasons, if you use one they should have their own room separated by the rest of the house.

We use a maid that comes 3 times a week and they are really expensive now, we pay 500 baht pr day now, take it or leave it we was told and since we know this woman (Thai) we accepted as she is really good.

300 baht/day is min wage now but very hard in the Pattaya area to find (good) one that will work for that.

Edited by guzzi850m2

My wifes younger brother has worked for me for over 4 years he does every thing cooks, cleans, does the garden, shops at times, cleans the car pays the bills for us but with my money smile.png fixers odd jobs around the house.

She has two young brothers eh at 8k............hm..........whistling.gif ............smile.png

My wifes younger brother does not live in he has his own wife and son and his own accomadation he is just a very good trustworthy hard working hard to get worker.

• Like 1

You can search this forum for similar threads as the payment question raises all sorts of contrary opinions. I recall that Thai's are more expensive than Cambodians or Laotians but there is the 'legality' issue. There's also what you consider his/her free time or time off. Does the job involve any cooking or just cleaning? Laundry? Running errands? Doing shopping, paying bills (with your money) picking up mail? Does he/she use their own motorcycle for that or use the owners? Does he/she get free use of the home's cooking facilities for her own meals? Most 'add-ons' would best be handled by separate payments if/when rather than included in the basic housemaid salary. Examples would be giving 100 baht for getting some fresh fruit and newspaper. Always ask for the change, give a 'tip' when appropriate but KEEP TABS on those tips. Over tipping may never be an issue for him/her but if you forget that your didn't tip for the last two errands, you may note that the laundry was late or a shower left uncleaned. They may feel it's not their place to remind you that you 'owe' them but they have more subtle methods so watch for them.

For a Thai, working 5 out of 7 days/week, with self-contained room on the property, doing cleaning, some laundry and some cooking, it is unlikely to get someone for less than 10,000/month. A salary of 10,000 baht is like 333 baht/day. Hours would be 6am to 6pm as a rule with no set meal times as generally speaking, Thai's eat like birds with small but frequent servings. Make sure she has her own small fridge and maybe even better, her own, single-ring gas cooker. A small TV and a floor standing fan are other considerations. Oh yes, he/she gets to go home for Songkran for 5 days and maybe a couple or three other long-weekends during the year. A reasonable donation towards the travel expenses would be acceptable but no more than 1000 baht. Up to you if you want to make those paid vacations or not but make sure they know that being late means -333 baht for each day overdue.

You may get a Cambodian or Laotian or Burmese for less but be prepared for language issues; initially anyway.

Get an older biddy, someone in her +40's, preferably married/separated or with grown kids. Maturity trumps the young cutey buggering about on her smartphone all day.

If you hire someone, try a mutually agreed probationary period, say 1-month. This allows for BOTH partners to see if there is compatibility which is the most important aspect. You may think you are just naturally very tidy whereas she may see you as an obsessive-compulsive house proud type. Unless you have been around Thailand and have an idea of their concept of clean, then it can be a steep learning curve, possibly contentious. Never assume that the maid, even an experienced maid can deduce what your concept of clean is. Make sure the duties, even the simplest ones, are explained and agreed. If you are a naturally messy bugger, don't expect the maid to clean everything up after you either. Be specific with simple guides such as anything IN the laundry basket needs laundering whereas clothes left on bed or over back of chair isn't. Don't leave stuff on the floor unless you want total confusion and misunderstanding!

How's that for starters?

• Like 1

'Starters' is very well what it appears to be :)

I am a single man, in my late 40s and live alone.

I keep my casual sex life outside my home, hence, a woman/man 40+ is exactly what i am looking for.

House cleaning is what i am mainly after. I cook my own food but would need help in chopping and post meal tidy-up.

I do my laundry, as i feel the proliferation of front-load washing machine is still in its infancy stage, in Thailand from what I have seen so far; of course I could be wrong.

Ironing is a complete mystery to me, and the help would be required.

I do my own shopping as my diet has a lot of ingredients that would be 'uncommon' to the average thai.

Unfortunately, at this stage, i can't offer separate quarters for the incumbent; waiting to reach 50 (retirement visa) when I would settle in a more appropriate lodging. I could, meanwhile, offer bed space either in the large studio i live in, or in a room adjacent to the kitchen. I live in a Thai wooden house, where my living quarters are upstairs and the kitchen is downstairs.

Your advice on holidays, pocket money/tips are well received.

I hope I am not too much to cater for;)