Tourism minister gets tough with Phuket taxi and vehicle-rental cowboys

webfact

Tourism minister gets tough with Phuket taxi and vehicle-rental cowboys
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- Tourism and Sports Minister Somsak Pureesrisak has blankly called for an end to the age-old Phuket practice of foreigners’ passports being held as a condition of renting motorbikes, cars and jet-skis

“We are deeply concerned about this situation. Rental-vehicle operators demand the passports of customers. Strictly speaking, this is illegal – passports simply cannot be handed-over to third-parties,” Minister Somsak said.

“Because passports are the properties of the governments that issue them, those who seize them – for any reason – are in fact seizing the property of a foreign government.

“The Ministry of Tourism and Sports and the Foreign Affairs Ministry are trying to formulate a law to rectify this situation, and to establish penalties for offenders, as soon as we can,” he said.

Minister Somsak suggested temporary drivers’ licenses be issued to visitors as a substitute. These would require the renter to prove that he or she already has a valid license in their own country.

“If the individual forgets to bring their home-country driver’s license, or they do not have one, they would have to contact the Land Transportation Office, which would be able to providing a temporary license within four hours of testing the person’s driving skills,” he said.

Minister Somsak did not elaborate on the practice of law-enforcement agencies confiscating passports of tourists while conducting investigations.

Department of Special Investigations (DSI) chief Tarit Pengdith, accompanying Minister Somsak on his visit to Phuket this week, offered a counter-suggestion.

“Vehicle-rental operators should accept a signed copy of the customer’s passport* instead. This means we could still coordinate with Immigration Police if the renter does not return the vehicle or seriously damages it, and then tries to escape from Thailand. Immigration might refuse them permission to leave until the case is settled,” he said.

But DSI Chief Tarit also issued a clear warning: “Regardless of whatever measures are taken to facilitate Phuket’s tourism industry being cleaned up, after we have established our Organized Crime Center for Tourism [story here], we will crack down on all illegal businesses – including dodgy vehicle-rental operators, illegal taxis and other law-breakers.”

“We know of 59 businesses – including 13 in Phuket – that have used nominees [so they could be legally registered as companies], and we are conducting special investigations into these. We have taken legal action against 14 businesses already and are working through the list,” he added.

“Concerning organized crime in Phuket, this is my last warning – you have 15 days to legalize your activities. After that, we will clean up the entire island,” Mr Tarit warned.

DSI chief Tarit also levelled his warning at corrupt officials in Phuket.

“If we learn that local government officials have been involved, they will not be exempt from the full force of the law,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Tourism-minister-gets-tough-with-Phuket-taxi-and-vehicle-rental-cowboys-21788.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-07-27

• Like 1

“Vehicle-rental operators should accept a signed copy of the customer’s passport* instead. This means we could still coordinate with Immigration Police if the renter does not return the vehicle or seriously damages it, and then tries to escape from Thailand. Immigration might refuse them permission to leave until the case is settled,” he said.

So what if anything does this do to deal with the "damaged" jet ski scam in any way at all?

"Concerning organized crime in Phuket, this is my last warning you have 15 days to legalize your activities. After that, we will clean up the entire island," Mr Tarit warned.

Please, don't make us laugh. If you really want to get rid of organised crime, you'd better start recruiting a few thousand more police as replacements.

Edited by JetsetBkk

"Concerning organized crime in Phuket, this is my last warning you have 15 days to legalize your activities. After that, we will clean up the entire island," Mr Tarit warned.

Please, don't make us laugh. If you really want to get rid of organised crime, you'd better start recruiting a few thousand more police as replacements.

The last thing that's needed is even MORE corrupt BIB.

The last thing that's needed is even MORE corrupt BIB.

Well, the idea was to clean up the place by getting rid of the corrupt BiB and transfer brand new squeaky clean BiB's from elsewhere.

They DO exist, y'know. Really! biggrin.png

The Thais have now painted themselves into a corner.

If all this is cosmetic, as it surely is, Thailand and the authorities are going to lose face with the international community like they've never lost face before........

No no, I think you must be mistaken! This action is destined to do great things for the tourist industry and the minister will be a national hero...

• Like 1

“If the individual forgets to bring their home-country driver’s license, or they do not have one, they would have to contact the Land Transportation Office, which would be able to providing a temporary license within four hours of testing the person’s driving skills,” he said.

Never mind the licenses and driving skills of 9-year old kids running down the sois on dad's motorbike! Oh, that may be another Thai tradition...

hahahaha...yeah right, getting tough after all these years of tourists being ripped off. Guess he isn't getting his cut of the action.

Exactly my first thought!

The businesses he refers to are the foreign owned companies, what about all the illegal non tax paying Thai businesses?

Also hit the Taxi's, Tuk tuks and jet ski's, these are the tourists biggest problem. If I see that then maybe just maybe they are on the right track.

hahahaha...yeah right, getting tough after all these years of tourists being ripped off. Guess he isn't getting his cut of the action.

Exactly my first thought!

The businesses he refers to are the foreign owned companies, what about all the illegal non tax paying Thai businesses?

Also hit the Taxi's, Tuk tuks and jet ski's, these are the tourists biggest problem. If I see that then maybe just maybe they are on the right track.

He is referring to the rental companies, and these are Thai owned.

So here we have the Minister speaking firm words against Thai operators that are breaking the law. Then we have the DSI who are plainly targeting foreigners who have set up some form of business on the island and giving little attention to all the Thai operators who VASTLY outnumber the illegal activities of foreigners in both quantity and damage to the island or its tourist visitors.

Why oh why can't the DSI do its job without discriminating and concentrating on the people who are breaking the law in the most damaging way first. A guy with an illegal restaurant causes what damage to Thailand really compared to people stealing other people's houses, defrauding people, drugging and raping people and violently assaulting people not to mention gouging foreigners, violently usurping public land for developments, parking on the street and the despoiling the beach with their rotten umbrellas and seats for rent?

I plead with the DSI to concentrate where they can do the most good before focussing on nit picking issues for the sole reason that it targets foreigners. It is disgusting and pathetic.

• Like 1

I plead with the DSI to concentrate where they can do the most good before focussing on nit picking issues for the sole reason that it targets foreigners. It is disgusting and pathetic.

.....and a typical reaction by Thai authorities to blame anyone but the blame-worthy.

• Like 1

What was the first crackdown by the DSI? They busted the Karaoke bars for illegal music. Glad that menace has finally been taken care of.

There is no reason to think any action by the DSI will have an impact on the blatant corruption that operates at every level of politics and business here in Phuket (Thailand). Organized crime is defined by the DSI as the Russian businesses with Thai fronts. That's ridiculous! Business as usual.

really great if they actually do something about this scam

the immigration visa number is pretty much all thats [needed] required [and copy of passport ]

what happens if the people that take your passport get robbed/burgled ?

ive seen passports thrown into the draw of the desk /counter along with all the other passports

hopefully they will start the crackdown on samui soon as well

where foreigners[and thais ] [running vehicle rental businesses] do the same thing

i never use any rental business that uses this practice for my guests

and ive not had any problems hiring cars or bikes

stopping this practice is at least a step [a small one maybe ]

in the right direction

What was the first crackdown by the DSI? They busted the Karaoke bars for illegal music. Glad that menace has finally been taken care of.

There is no reason to think any action by the DSI will have an impact on the blatant corruption that operates at every level of politics and business here in Phuket (Thailand). Organized crime is defined by the DSI as the Russian businesses with Thai fronts. That's ridiculous! Business as usual.

Different DSI department. The scourge of the karaokes are from Surat Thani. The DSI department that is going to clean up corruption in Phuket is from Bangkok.

“If the individual forgets to bring their home-country driver’s license, or they do not have one, they would have to contact the Land Transportation Office, which would be able to providing a temporary license within four hours of testing the person’s driving skills,” ...

I'm sure any tourist will wait up to four hours for a temp. license in order to legally run around on a rented motorbike for a couple of hours! NOT!

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but my side's already splitting with laughter...

What time IS it, Boys & Girls?

It's CRACKDOWN time!

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

"Minister Somsak did not elaborate on the practice of law-enforcement agencies confiscating passports of tourists while conducting investigations."

so it's do as I say but not as I do - interesting

"Because passports are the properties of the governments that issue them, those who seize them for any reason are in fact seizing the property of a foreign government."

Are you kidding me??? Obviously there's a major difference between a law enforcement agency confiscating your passport because you were involved in some illegal activity for which you're investigated now and some shitty motorbike rental store confiscating your passport so they can rip you off later!!!

What's with some of this people in this forum lately???

Different DSI department. The scourge of the karaokes are from Surat Thani. The DSI department that is going to clean up corruption in Phuket is from Bangkok.

They should bring in the Bangkok DSI to investigate the corrupt b******* from Surat.

I have an idea. Why not have the tourist's contact the local embassy when they are forced to hand over their passport in exchange for rentals? It is property of that individual and their country. Let the embassy official put pressure on the Thai government to show them it is illegal and offer consequences. Wait this is Thailand we are talking about I almost forgot. Dealing with their government is totally useless and will cause further chaos and confusion and lead to basically nothing in the end except smiles. wai2.gif

• Like 1