What to bring to a Thai birthday party

gavin310

I'm going to my good friend's wife's birthday party later today. According to my friend we're going to drink more whiskey tonight than should be humanly possible. I want to bring something to the party, but even though we'll be drinking whiskey it seems like bringing a bottle of whiskey wouldn't be appropriate. Also I know in Thailand it's typically the responsibility of the birthday person to supply drinks and food for their guests. So, what should I bring? Should I bring whiskey or some type of gift? Or nothing?

If you were given an invite card THEN you put some cash in THAT envelope and hand it over. If not, bottle of good whiskey, even though she probably will not drink it. thumbsup.gif

My wife wouldn't appreciate a bottle of whiskey as she doesn't drink it. She'd like either money or flowers or some chocolates.
  • Like 1

If you were given an invite card THEN you put some cash in THAT envelope and hand it over. If not, bottle of good whiskey, even though she probably will not drink it. thumbsup.gif

My wife wouldn't appreciate a bottle of whiskey as she doesn't drink it. She'd like either money or flowers or some chocolates.

My thought is that the lady host appreciates stuff that adds to the guests enjoyment. Perhaps we in different parts see things differently. smile.png

• Like 1

Thanks for all the good replies. She does drink with my friend and I occasionally so I'm pretty sure she'll be drinking tonight. I'm not even sure where to buy flowers around here and I don't have a lot of money, so I think I'll just pick up a decent bottle of whiskey.Thanks again.

• Like 1

I'd take some decent whisky and a card.

The not so smart males here in our office, would prefer black label to any other whiskey no matter how expensive it might be.

Edited by h90

B-day party (B200-B500); Wedding party (B1000+)

• Like 1

You can't go wrong with flowers. Spend as little or as much as you think is appropriate.

A nice lead crystal vase would complete the gift if you're feeling generous.

I reckon "Chickenslegs" has "nailed it" with the flowers and the quality vase. You probably won't find Birthday cards in every "corner store" but most of the bigger places like Robinson etc., will have them.

Enjoy!!!

Up here in Isaan, the thai people do not usually celebrate birthdays at all. It is a falang thing. In many cases the older generation, do not even know exactly what year they are born, month they usually know, but not the date.....

So I think for me, it sound that the most of the guys here do what I should do in this case. Just bring a bottle of whisky, 3 Spy for the lady and a big smile, and you will be just fine.

Glegolo

Up here in Isaan, the thai people do not usually celebrate birthdays at all. It is a falang thing. In many cases the older generation, do not even know exactly what year they are born, month they usually know, but not the date.....

So I think for me, it sound that the most of the guys here do what I should do in this case. Just bring a bottle of whisky, 3 Spy for the lady and a big smile, and you will be just fine.

Glegolo

Maybe "Up here in Isaan, the thai people" should take out their I.D Card which by law they must carry with them 24/7 and discover what their birth-date is...........w00t.gif

• Like 1

Glegolo

Maybe "Up here in Isaan, the thai people" should take out their I.D Card which by law they must carry with them 24/7 and discover what their birth-date is...........w00t.gif alt=w00t.gif>

And you really think that most of the older generation brings at all times their ID-card with them???? Come on.... look around

a bit plse...

Glegolo

• Like 1

A bottle of Johnny Black label is always appreciated.

And to hit the Jackpot, bring a Karaoke machine ;-)
Not even as a present but that is mandatory at a thai b-day Party.

But i'm sure they will have one anyway ;-)

Depending on your friends wife's taste , a small bottle of perfume , nicely presented , is something that most thai women will like ,or should i say all women will like, even if she never uses it it will go on her dressing table and she will be flattered that you thought of her, after-all , it is her birthday , not your friend's or his friend's birthday.

• Like 1