Left card behind in ATM again ? Is it only me ?

roamer

Yeah I've done it once. The cash first/card second thing takes a bit of getting used to but I've adapted now.

I love it when I make a withdrawal and before the cash is out I get a beep on my phone to say I've made a withdrawal. I swear that once it nearly beeped before I'd pressed the YES button.

If it's an ATM in front of a convenience store then it's worth going back, going inside and ask if someone left the card there. (Check on the machine, then ask inside).

They all have a nice collection of forgotten cards. So if it's any consolation, it happens to everyone. ;)

Every now and then I forget to push English at the Aeon machine shear panic sets in thinking somehow the red cancel key means something else in Thai. I usually have to walk away and compose myself and start again.

I do wish they would call a duck a duck, current account, chequing account, cashing account make up your minds.

I'm not suggesting I'm special, just normal. I mean, people don't "normally" forget their ATM card in the machine, do they? If so, I may be mistaken in my definition of "normalcy."

I've lived in America for most of my life and I honestly don't remember how the ATM's used to be. Nowadays, it's mostly a swipe of the card. By the way, is Cambodia supposed to be the shining example of modern civilization?

Well as the OP I'm comforted to see there are more of us "sub normals" around biggrin.png . I think however you are missing the point, for many of us it's a conditioned response simply being used to the way an ATM works in many other countries. It's also not a case of "blaming" the Thais but as another poster pointed out the cashier "had a whole drawer full of cards" , what would you say is the more efficient system, one that makes it impossible to forget your card or one that allows you to ?

Perhaps I was a bit premature digging on you guys earlier. This seems to be more of a common problem than I realized. Some of the ATMs I've used in America simply had a quick swipe gadget where your card is not taken. That would probably be the way to go. But I can imagine someone swiping the card, then putting it down to key in the numbers, and forgetting the card on the ATM counter. So I'm not sure if any solution is full-proof.

Lost one in Thailand also.

In Indonesia one time I was in a large shopping centre and without realising, left my card in the machine and walked off. About ten minutes later and three floors away from the ATM a man came up to me and asked if I had lost my card... he had found it and knew by the name on the card and the logo that I wasn't Indonesian so had walked around looking for foreigners. Luckily for me I wasn't in a tourist area so I was probably the only foreigner in the place... he wouldn't take any money as a small thank you for going out of his way to find me either.

It happens to all of us, in time. Which is why I like to bank sometimes at the K-Bank at Airport Plaza because they have a couple of very attractive young ladies sat there watching for when people like me do silly things like that. And in the event that I do forget my card they will notice and come running after me and coo, "mister, you forget card", the smile is worth the embaressment but I think they might be catching on to my scam.

• Like 1

Cambodia didnt even have an ATM machine in the entire country 10 years ago.

Hundreds today.

And most places there wouldn't take my travelers checks back then, either. Had to traipse around the country with a load of cash on you. Total paranoia. But we digress.....

I haven't lost a card for a decade or so but i've had a few that have tried very hard to stay in the ATM.

Yeah I've has a few World Wresting Federation Royal Rumbles with ATMs as I try to grab the millimeter of card sticking out of the slot and me grunting "Give it back you bastard!"

Is there a more relaxing sigh of relief moment when you haven't got a single baht in your pocket and that ATM spews out the dosh and your card comes popping out nicely rather than at a speed that could be measured in decades.

I was in Nong Khai once and used one of those stand alone ATMs. Big mistake. Card goes in, didn't even have a chance to enter my pin number. Message comes up "CLOSED" and the bloody thing shuts down. Luckily had another piece of plastic with me. Lesson learned. Now I make sure I've definitely got 2 cards on me and preferably use an ATM at an open bank branch.

Edited by mca

It happens to all of us, in time. Which is why I like to bank sometimes at the K-Bank at Airport Plaza because they have a couple of very attractive young ladies sat there watching for when people like me do silly things like that. And in the event that I do forget my card they will notice and come running after me and coo, "mister, you forget card", the smile is worth the embaressment but I think they might be catching on to my scam.

Did you notice them jotting down your PIN as well? whistling.gif

I have never forgotten mine but I have found a few then tried to explain to the bank that it had been left in their machine! I have a small procedure that works wherever you insert your card, any order 1) cash 2) receipt 3) card ! So three steps and you walk away with your cash, receipt and card!

Slickclap2.gif

Slickclap2.gif

Is it the sort of smile they'd give their beloved grandfather with Altzheimer's Chiang Mai mate?

35 years of using ATMs I've never done it. Had my card eaten once, does that count?

Same here, never done it. Is TV populated by a bunch of senile old geezers who can't even remember to remove an ATM card from the machine? Appears so.

I manage to lose a card this way at least once a year

Did you notice them jotting down your PIN as well? whistling.gif

The ladies in question sit at a desk some five/seven feet away from a bank of ATM's and watch from afar, on the odd occaision one of them has sauntered over to provide assistance by looking over my shoulder I have always told her should could stay and watch my transaction in detail as long as I can look down her blouse, mostly that sends the right signals and when it does not, I change my PIN, the following morning.

you must be realy dumb " only joking " to leave your card in the ATM i can say i,ve never done that ,

but twice here in " udon tesco " i,ve payed for my shopping put it in a plastic bag and walked off without

my WALLET , once i noticed when i got on my motorbike the other time i,d gone to a bar for a cold 1

and did,nt notice untill i checked bin but when i got back to tesco they gave it back facepalm.gif

No, you're not the only one sad.png

"In the UK ..."

Yes, but in the UK they have to take into account the sort of people they're forced to deal with and aim for the lowest common denominator.

If you want to do things (as overwhelming as that may seem to some people) like get some cash and make a transfer, you'd get the card back, get the cash and then have to start over again.

Edited by Suradit69

It must be "One of the five signs you will get Alzheimer's".whistling.gif

Don't forget the sixth, forgetting how to spell the word orchid, typically comes with early onset. tongue.png

"Orchis is a genus in the orchid family (Orchidaceae). This genus gets its name from the Ancient Greek ὄρχις orchis, meaning "testicle", from the appearance of the paired subterranean tuberoids."

post-145917-0-42044200-1375149214_thumb.