My first ever reporting after 90 days

I recently got my first retirement Visa for 90 days plus another 12 months extension of stay. So my passport shows I am entitled to stay until October 2014.

As October 2013 will be my first ever date for 90 day reporting to the immigration office am I correct in that I can do this any time during the seven days preceding the end of the first 90 day period?

Look at doing so by post, just ensure you address and affix the correct value stamps to each envelope, and include the right bits of paper.

Keep a calendar of dates, there's a Thai Visa application somewhere to count days if you don't have Excel etc. and a pile of reporting forms so that the process is painless and as automatic as you can make it.

Sorry to hijack.

I have an "application of stay is under consideration..." stamped on 12 June 2013 and "extension of stay permitted up to 17 June 2014" stamped on 16 July 2013.

When do I have to go for 90 days notification? Counting from 12 June or 16 July?

If I'm not mistaken, before they put a paper in my passport with a date when I had to come in but didn't do this time.

Thanks.

handy down the road when circumstances might be not so easy.

I really don't believe many will ever be in dire situations with immigration but even if they are suspect the brief 90 day reporting contact will not make much of a difference for most. I know I have used four offices here in Bangkok over the past decade for reporting and am sure none of them would know me from any other of the hundreds they process each day. And the vibes I receive from those doing this process have not been either casual or easy - believe they hate it as must as those forced into this needless negative reporting requirement.

• Like 1

Sorry to hijack.

I have an "application of stay is under consideration..." stamped on 12 June 2013 and "extension of stay permitted up to 17 June 2014" stamped on 16 July 2013.

When do I have to go for 90 days notification? Counting from 12 June or 16 July?

If I'm not mistaken, before they put a paper in my passport with a date when I had to come in but didn't do this time.

Thanks.

Counting from 12 June application.

handy down the road when circumstances might be not so easy.

I really don't believe many will ever be in dire situations with immigration but even if they are suspect the brief 90 day reporting contact will not make much of a difference for most. I know I have used four offices here in Bangkok over the past decade for reporting and am sure none of them would know me from any other of the hundreds they process each day. And the vibes I receive from those doing this process have not been either casual or easy - believe they hate it as must as those forced into this needless negative reporting requirement.

I guess that's just one of the disadvantages of living in Bangkok amongst the teeming multitudes as I can assure you that in the more remote offices they definitely know who you are and your general circumstances even with the routine turn-over of staff.

But most do live in busy areas. Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Jomtien and the islands so personal relationships are not likely for 90 day reporting. And for those locations that would afford such the travel is likely to be inconvenient, at best.

Unless traveling to your immigration office of record is a major inconvenience, going to the office every 90 days gives the staff a chance to know you under easy conditions which can very well come in handy down the road when circumstances might be not so easy.

I agree. It's no difficulty for me to go to Jomtien. And I wouldn't say it's entertaining, but it's certainly not boring to go there every 90 days.

AND It's certainly better than doing visa runs every 90 dayssmile.png

So what exactly happens if you miss that 90 day reporting by a few months? I know they fine you usually 2000 baht for being a little late but not sure what happens when you are late by a few months?

I think if you are arrested you would need to pay even more. But don't know if it would affect the status of the visa itself in any way . Anyway, for me, having done 90 day visa runs in the past, this is no hassle whatsoever

So what exactly happens if you miss that 90 day reporting by a few months? I know they fine you usually 2000 baht for being a little late but not sure what happens when you are late by a few months?

I think if you are arrested you would need to pay even more. But don't know if it would affect the status of the visa itself in any way . Anyway, for me, having done 90 day visa runs in the past, this is no hassle whatsoever

Arrested for a late 90 day report? o.O

Unless traveling to your immigration office of record is a major inconvenience, going to the office every 90 days gives the staff a chance to know you under easy conditions which can very well come in handy down the road when circumstances might be not so easy.

Ah! the theory that drawing a smiley face on your exam paper will result in higher marks...cheesy.gif

Does the owner distinguish between sausages leaving the factory? No of course not, there are just too many that all look the same. Go sit in an immigration office for a day and see the numbers of 90-day reports that they process and you hope to stand out from the crowd?

My neighbor had this idea that doing things in person was better in the days he would haul up to Nong Khai to see his special contact that he had been providing a bottle of whisky annually just to do normal run of the mill rubber stamping. When Khon Kaen office was opened he was devastated that his "investment" in tips had been lost and came to nothing as the "contact" didn't move down, who I guess was also pissed off too that a supply of whiskey dried up.

Staff get moved at all levels so even if you are hoping to butter-up a ranking officer, who might offer some influence in a time of need. 90-day reports are like cleaning the steps to the bank, those with power do not do this task.

Also consider the nature of the 90-day report, it is there only for one purpose to provide an address on file that they can collect you at should there be the need to arrest or remove you. That is all - there is no other purpose. It is like the House Book in that everyone with an ID card has a point of contact address so that the location of people is known and it's a starting point should there be a man hunt.

90-day reporting is not some magical mark of approval that is bestowed upon you for "doing it right."

But if you need an excuse to travel away from home for a day and have some "quiet" time out of sight of your nearest and dearest, saying you have to go for a 90-day report is a good excuse I'm sure. giggle.gif

The smart money uses the post.

• Like 1

I have had some pleasant chats with the IMM Office staff when things were slow and what's the big deal about not doing that? And they do remember who I am at least some of them that haven't been jostled around as they will ask: So what is it you actually DO while you are in Thailand?

... but as you've expressed it above I would suggest using the mail whenever possible.

Edited by JLCrab

I just did my first 90 day report and decided to do it in person so I would know my way around the immigration office if I need to go for other things. They asked me to refill the form as I had the condo address but not the name. I can't imagine they would remember me as I was queue number 300 just before lunch so they are probably processing 500 to 600 per day. I will post in the future but felt this trip worthwhile.