Phuket DJ dragged 500m after smash

webfact

Phuket DJ dragged 500m after smash
Eakkapop Thongtub

1375332604_1.jpg
Terdpong “Bow” Putthapitak, a local DJ. Photo: Facebook.

PHUKET: -- Terdpong “Bow” Putthapitak, 27, a coordinator at Siangtai newspaper and a DJ/technician at Blue Wave FM radio, died after after his motorbike was hit at 2pm yesterday (July 31) by a pickup truck in front of the Sapam Inn Hotel.

The driver of the pickup, Amad Hemmawong, 58, panicked after the collision and attempted to drive away towards Phuket Town, dragging Mr Terdpong with him.

Mr Terdpong was dragged under the truck for more than half a kilometre before falling away into the road in front of the Shell gas station in Sapam.

Kusoldharm Foundation volunteers rushed him to Vachira Phuket Hospital but he died in the emergency room from multiple injuries including fractured ribs, a broken leg, haemorrhaging in the lungs and head injuries.

The witness told police that the number plate of the truck had fallen off at the collision site. It was retrieved but police did not have to go looking for Amad; he had already turned himself in.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-dj-dragged-500m-after-smash-41140.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-08-01

Radio DJ killed in Phuket hit-and-run
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_Mr_Terdpong_was_a_DJ_for_100_
Mr Terdpong was a DJ for 100.25 Siang Tai Radio. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- A Phuket DJ was killed in a hit-and-run yesterday afternoon after he was dragged beneath a pickup truck for about 700 meters, witnesses said.

Police and rescue workers arrived at the scene to find Terdpong “Bao” Phuttapiruk, 29, dying in the middle of the road.

“He was rushed to Vachira Phuket Hospital, but he was unconscious and suffering from broken ribs, blood in his lungs and a broken leg. He died shortly after arriving at the hospital,” Maj Chaleaw Taihoo of the Phuket City Police said.

Witnesses told police that Mr Terdpong was driving in the motorbike lane of Thepkrasattri Road heading toward Phuket Town. Near Sapam Inn, a black pickup truck came up from behind him and knocked him from his bike.

As Mr Terdpong fell from the bike, he became entangled beneath the truck, which attempted to speed off, dragging Mr Terdpong for about 700 meters before he was freed.

Mr Terdpong was a DJ for 100.25 Siang Tai Radio as well as a station coordinator for Blue Wave 90.5 FM Radio.

Blue Wave program director Oscar Chitamitre received notification of the incident, hearing only that Mr Terdpong had been in an accident and had been taken to Vachira Hospital.

“I called up 15 or 20 minutes later and was told they were pumping his heart… Apparently the doctor had tried to pump his heart four or five times and they got a heart beat, but it was weak and they were going to try to get him into surgery. And on the way to wheeling him into surgery his heart gave out,” Mr Chitamitre told the Phuket Gazette.

“We are a small company, so we are very much like a family. We were all quite devastated when he passed last night,” he said.

“Bao was a hard worker, he was a good kid. He was one of the core breadwinners for his family. He was always sending money home to his parents, who live in Patthalung. He was supporting his younger sister through college. I think she has graduated and was working [at the time of the accident],” he said.

The pickup truck driver fled the scene, leaving behind only his license plate.

All Phuket police stations were notified of the incident and told to keep an eye out for the truck, said Maj Chaleaw.

“A few hours later the driver surrendered himself to us,” Maj Chaleaw said.

The 58-year-old driver, Amad Hemwong, was charged with reckless driving causing death and property damage.

Mr Terdpong’s body was transferred to his parents' home in Patthalung, where a cremation ceremony will be held on August 5.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Radio-DJ-killed-in-Phuket-hit-and-run-21830.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-08-01

Disgusting! How could he not stop. If people were taught to stop immediately and report the accident Bow would probably have had some treatable injuries but would still be alive.

They need to make the people that flee from an accident pay heavily and also show that if it was an accident they will not be punished.

A terrible way to die RIP Bow

• Like 2

About a month ago 3 friends of my daughter were knocked off there bike and run over by another car which didn't stop, when the police finally apprehended the woman driver, she told them " i didn't see them and i just thought i went over some bumps in the road" when people come up with a story like that it makes you wonder what sort of country we are living in sad.png

I just cant get my head around why they always have to flee the scene then give themselves up later..does my head in..

They always flee because it just doesn't seem to be a big deal here. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone facing more serious punishment because they fled the scene, and unless they turn themselves in, it appears that they usually don't get caught, so why not take your chances and flee?

In this case, it sounds like the act of fleeing is what truly killed the victim. This would be a real good case to set precedent to establish laws that guarantee harsher punishment for this who flee. In many countries, fleeing is actually a criminal offense, and the police will go to any means to catch the perpetrator. Here they don't seem to do anything to catch them -- sort of like, " Oh well, he's gone now, so I guess that's the end of this one. Let's go see if we can make some quick tea money."

• Like 2