You seriously dated someone who left school at the age of 13.

up2you2

I was going to state in this post that, 5 pages in, that up2you2 has been misinterpreted by many with the OP. I read that the OP was commenting on others viewpoints, from another thread, and instead of agreeing was in fact asking the question why a partner needs an education to match the other partner. Perhaps I have been mistaken and have read this wrong??

However, based on my interpretation of this post, these are my views, or rather queries.

When did it change that your partner, in terms of marriage, co-existence and raising a family should need to be educated to fulfill this role? Have we become so arrogant and insular that anyone who doesn't meet the restrictions of our present knowledge, regardless of how we feel about them, cannot become a life-long partner?

When did the rules of society (very important line) change to dictate this to be such a requirement from the western viewpoint? Or is this just a part of the "Smith v Jones" perception we have? This seems to be a big point, how others see and judge us.

Has the definition "housewife" been removed from out dictionaries, or is it a requirement that both partners need to be working? I have always believed there is no requirement for a doctorate in quantum physics for a wife's ability in raising a family, cooking or cleaning. Some may argue.

I have always believed that schooling teaches a person the basics of the art of learning. If the individual's mind is receptive enough, you never stop learning through knowledge acquired, not necessarily taught. I have never had regrets at leaving a secondary school system at the age of 16, having never set foot into a university, and reaching the position I am in now at the age of 56.

Education is a great thing and should never be ignored. Nor should a person be spurned if through no fault of their own, they have been deprived of it. As to relationships, if the attraction, love & ability to co-exist are there, don't let education get in the way. Enjoy expanding and sharing your knowledge..............

• Like 2

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my wife couldnt speak english when i met her and i couldnt speak thai,

but my god we have had some laughs learning and still do,,lol,

all im botherd about is both of us being happy, im not botherd if her english isnt perfect, and take it from me my thai will never be perfect,

life to short in my opinion to worry about little things like being able to talk to my wife about the arts, or polatics, both of which i dont like,

we chat about all sorts of bloody things, things that you might not want to chat about to your wife,

that what ive been trying to say on here for years we are all different and we are all looking for different things, both in life and in our women,

my wife is very intelegent, loves to read, she loves to learn new things, ive told her she could be our village english teacher not a dought in my mind,

anyway enough of me and my bad spelling and gramer, ill get off, and earn some money, well get to bed im on the nightshift,

take care all,, just remember we are all different and we all need and look for different things in this old life of ours,

jake

Jake,

I don't like art and have no idea what polatics are (not a comment on your spelling if its wrong i just have no clue). As long as your happy then its good for you. I have been in a relation with a girl that did not speak good English and my Thai was bad. It was a total disaster I really believe people should be able to communicate in a relationship. On this point you will never see me agree with you.

I do agree we all like different things in woman and that is a good thing the world would be a boring place if we all liked the same thing.I dont like the doll type girls that hate the sun and can't go do some action things like diving / snorkeling or walking in the jungle / forest or some fishing.

• Like 1

I never gave it much thought as she did same ditzy things just as any other good-looking young Thai girl ... But she said she wanted to go to school and I said "Maybe ... sometime" until through a quirk I realized the girl can solve simultaneous equations (or close enough to it) in her head ... So I and her family arranged for her to go to school and now she is pulling a 4.0 at university and soon will graduate with more job offers already than she knows what to do with ...

... So one can never tell, can one?

Edited by JLCrab

Education is paramount and very important.

It gives you confidence.

People perceive you differently.

More opportunities..

No need to marry a fat farang and be perceived in a certain way..

I could go on..

It can only be an advantage..an advantage unfortunately that is not open to all.

Why do most parents struggle to pay to send their children to the best schools..those who dismiss this are those who don't have the resources and rationalize it accordingly.

Most marry uneducated women so its not part of the family ethos.

And being uneducated is not the same as being stupid..

It's what education can give..it doesn't mean if you are not therefore you are thick!!

I was bought up on a very large council estate in the uk and discriminated against for just living there..I got to uni..most of my friends didn't most have been generally successful or ok in life, but in comparison to those who went to uni no comparison,social mobility is done through education be it here or in he west.

If you want your kids properly educated and to be rounded educate them in the west.

I never gave it much thought as she did same ditzy things just as any other good-looking young Thai girl ... But she said she wanted to go to school and I said "Maybe ... sometime" until through a quirk I realized the girl can solve simultaneous equations (or close enough to it) in her head ... So I and her family arranged for her to go to school and now she is pulling a 4.0 at university and soon will graduate with more job offers already than she knows what to do with ...

... So one can never tell, can one?

No education does not mean stupid, but an education can help a lot to shape that intelligence. Some learn from books but I am sure that people like Jake learned a lot during an apprenticeship.

We are what we are today as humans because of education and our ability to write down what we know so others can learn from it.

... and conversely rob, as we all unfortunately know, a lot of people with a lot of education can do a lot of awfully stupid things. No examples necessary.

You got to wonder how many stupid things they would have done without the education cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Thai universities have to be doing something right - how many would live in a Bangkok condo, or bank with a Thai bank, if you really thought the people emerging from Engineering and Accounting courses at Thai universities were incompetent ? I guess the cynics will tell me the skyscrapers are built by Japanese contractors hiring Burmese workers, but it's easy to brush aside their accomplishments with throwaway lines like that. Boom and bust be damned - central BKK is still a very impressive skyline compared to most of Thailand's neighbours. I guess time will tell re the longterm strength of the economy, but I'm a lot happier to get in a lift in BKK than I would be in Bangladesh ....

Having interacted with the 'home loan' manager from SCB, who didn't understand stocks, shares, pensions, share trading accounts, and asked if I could "just point to the entry in my Thai bank book which was my monthly wages". I'm thinking Thai banking is about 500bht in and out of accounts, which needs a person able to punch buttons on a calculator and not much else.

Wasn't there two condo blocks that fell over in BK earlier this year, and a shopping mall that did same a few years earlier?

Havent heard of any condo blocks falling over, but I suspect the SCB guy was looking for a reason to reject your application. I would have simply cut my losses and gone elsewhere - they have their little ticksheets and that's all they care about. That said, standard advice on TV seems to be 'never loan ANYONE money - Thai or Farang ...' ;)

... and conversely rob, as we all unfortunately know, a lot of people with a lot of education can do a lot of awfully stupid things. No examples necessary.

You got to wonder how many stupid things they would have done without the education cheesy.gif

I guess .. but for the truly colossally stupid, without the education credentials, they would never been given the opportunity to screw up on such a colossal scale.

Havent heard of any condo blocks falling over, but I suspect the SCB guy was looking for a reason to reject your application. I would have simply cut my losses and gone elsewhere - they have their little ticksheets and that's all they care about. That said, standard advice on TV seems to be 'never loan ANYONE money - Thai or Farang ...' wink.png

The lady refused my application for a 95% home loan, but offered me one for 87%.

I'm not sure Uni. degrees mean much here. My wife went to Uni. but you'd think by meeting with her that she'd never gone past the 8th grade.

The number of degrees awarded goes up every year but I doubt there are more smart people around.

Edited by smooth expat
  • Like 1

I came to the conclusion not to long ago that an education might be a detriment when considering a (female) significant other. I had almost had my fill of "smart women". The "we're equal, but not when it comes to the bill" (and so many other things) women's lib bs gets old real fast. Educated women imo tend to be more free spirited (= BAD!). Educated women seem to be some of the most unstable, for whatever reason... my sample size is perhaps a bit small, but man i ran into a whacked out one or even two. And, who wants their wife to make more money than them... ok, not such a great point lol. I think education in women is highly overrated. What I need: loyalty, mutual respect, attraction, and somebody who likes to end arguments after a bit.... not storm out and over think them and say things like "i can't do this anymore" lol.

I have a daughter I wanted her educated, emotional stability is not aligned with education.

I would suggest that has more to do with parenting..

A mother who had to leave school at age of 13 is IMO less suitable to parenting because important factors of development in her life, as well of most likely fam background, are lacking. Its closeby in my situation so thats why i make this comment. Parenting is background, love and thinking !

I have a daughter I wanted her educated, emotional stability is not aligned with education.

A mother who had to leave school at age of 13 is IMO less suitable to parenting because important factors of development in her life, as well of most likely fam background, are lacking. Its closeby in my situation so thats why i make this comment. Parenting is background, love and thinking !

Does that apply to mothers only? If not then you are applying that i would be less suitable for parenting since i left school very early and less siutable compared to whom? you? I wonder because it seems rather amazing to me that you can come to such conclusions just by the fact of when someone left school.

Does that apply to mothers only? If not then you are applying that i would be less suitable for parenting since i left school very early and less siutable compared to whom? you? I wonder because it seems rather amazing to me that you can come to such conclusions just by the fact of when someone left school.

General i meant. Yes, it is not only restricted to mothers. Exemptions does not make the rule. I did not mean any offense. If perceived that way by you, my sincere apologies.

If you saw how some of my daughters extremely wealthy friends ( girls) have developed,where emphasis seems to be on control, success, money, image, discrimination of others ( poorer elements -include myself in that..) it makes you wonder about their parents.

I think being uneducated poses its own issues and far more serious ones.

When I read through threads about education I get the impression that a lot members did not go to higher education marry women here who also didn't and therefore dismiss its importance.

It is those parents who strive to give their children the experience they did not have that I admire immensely.

Education should not be just seen as an academic learning it can offer so much more.

I am the product of the uk system of the 60 and 70's my life has been massively changed because of the opportunities offered. You only realize this as you get older.

I don't know about you, but when I got off the plane for the first time at Don Mueang Airport, I was inundated with post graduate Thai girls wai-ing and presenting me with garlands.

Which team did you play for? ManU, Liverpool, Real Madrid...

You can add Cardiff City to that list, now we are in the big leaguewink.png

General i meant. Yes, it is not only restricted to mothers. Exemptions does not make the rule. I did not mean any offense. If perceived that way by you, my sincere apologies.

Apologies accepted and no offence taken.

If you saw how some of my daughters extremely wealthy friends ( girls) have developed,where emphasis seems to be on control, success, money, image, discrimination of others ( poorer elements -include myself in that..) it makes you wonder about their parents.

When I read through threads about education I get the impression that a lot members did not go to higher education marry women here who also didn't and therefore dismiss its importance.

It is those parents who strive to give their children the experience they did not have that I admire immensely.

Education should not be just seen as an academic learning it can offer so much more.

I am the product of the uk system of the 60 and 70's my life has been massively changed because of the opportunities offered. You only realize this as you get older.

Of course most people with low education themselves would not go for a woman with a higher education or put value on it. For the most part the ones that have been educated and the smart uneducated put value on education.

I do get tired here reading again and again that people equate no education with stupidity as this is not the case. You could be bright but never had the opportunity but just imagine how far they would have gotten with an education.

A structured education is the best basis for a successful life, that does not mean books per se, even the people in construction a good trainee ship is important, i doubt they could have all learned it themselves. Education is not only university education is also that good trainee ship from that welder you received making you a pro welder and able to make money. The distribution of knowledge is what has helped us for ages.

Books are important as you can reach much more people with books then with 1 guy giving a trainee ship (now if that guy recorded his knowledge in a book...) , that is why when we started learning to write and record our knowledge we evolved faster.

I can't understand that people don't see this point.

• Like 2

Sorry mate (OP), I'm baffled by your post. I'll ask my wife to explain it. What is your point?

He believes a degree in computer science is an important skill a woman should have.

I believe, he has no clues on women.

Until they invent the cleaning ,shagging, cooking all in one computer????

What an attitude...just because a person doesn't have educational opportunity and leaves school at 13 doesn't mean that their emotional intellect stopped there. There are many facets to life other than education standard.

Many people who don't have educational opportunity more than make up for it in real life experience ..........

so my opinion, don't judge a book by its cover

Of course most people with low education themselves would not go for a woman with a higher education or put value on it. For the most part the ones that have been educated and the smart uneducated put value on education.

I do get tired here reading again and again that people equate no education with stupidity as this is not the case. You could be bright but never had the opportunity but just imagine how far they would have gotten with an education.

A structured education is the best basis for a successful life, that does not mean books per se, even the people in construction a good trainee ship is important, i doubt they could have all learned it themselves. Education is not only university education is also that good trainee ship from that welder you received making you a pro welder and able to make money. The distribution of knowledge is what has helped us for ages.

Books are important as you can reach much more people with books then with 1 guy giving a trainee ship (now if that guy recorded his knowledge in a book...) , that is why when we started learning to write and record our knowledge we evolved faster.

I can't understand that people don't see this point.

There in lies the problem, people need the opportunity there should be equal opportunity for all, as your rightly say the opportunity to gain knowledge not necessary just thru university, but these days that's all it seems to be.

Bright inquisitive kids from disadvantaged backgrounds suffer the most.

Peer pressure also has an enormous effect.