Border Run with Work Permit?

Hello.

I need urgently to find out some information regarding Visa and border run.

I have a US Passport and have a Non-Immigrant B Visa for 1 year (still valid and have 6 months to go till expire).

I used to have to do a border cross my first 3 months because I did not have a work permit.

Now I have a valid Work Permit, do I still have to cross the border every 3 months or so?

Because last time I was crossing (without work permit), they stamped my passport with a new date that I have to leave in another 3 months.....do I still have to leave and cross??

Please let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks a million for your help!!!

If you have a multiple entry visa issued at a consulate, each entry is good for 90 days.

You then exit and re-enter the country, getting a new 90 days. You do that as long as the visa is valid.

If you exit and re-enter a day or so before the visa expires you can get almost 15 months out of the visa.

If you want to stop border runs, you need to get an extension from immigration. Your employer will have to provide a bunch of documents to do that.

• Like 1

He has a work permit, why going out ???

I think the the OP has two options now he has the WP.

He can do reporting/extensions in-country OR he can carry on doing a cross-border run every 3 months or so.

I think the former is more onerous with paperwork and visiting Immigration offices. I think some employers do that legwork, but MOST do not so the OP needs to check with them. All depends on locale too since some Immigration offices are 'easier' than others on top of the time to get to them.

The second option is much easier but may not be practical if dates don't fit and/or employer won't allow a work day off. If the OP and employer are both happy with un-paid time-off for a border hop, then could be done. Once again, the OP's locale has to be considered.

But.... since this urgent request has come up in the dead of night (again?) the OP should wait for more learned and accurate advice from the forum sages, currently abed.

I have them same and yes you have to leave every 90 days unless like said before more paperwork is done by employer. The guys at the border do not care if you have a work permit and i never take mine with me. They just care about non b multiple entry. Is cheaper for employer to not get extension and have you do border runs. I just did mine two days ago with an overstay and immigration at border does not ask about work permit they are just looking for last stamp and type of visa and they will stamp you out and you go across and come back and they will stamp you again for 90 days. Make sure to check stamp before leaving immigration to make sure you got the 90.

• Like 1

Look at the date in your passport. What does it say?coffee1.gif

Read the OP again. His question is;

Now I have a valid Work Permit, do I still have to cross the border every 3 months or so?

Now, what has the date in his passport have to do with that?

Even it is was relevant, WHAT date? A passport is full of bloody dates!

Hello Everyone...

THANK YOU SO SO MUCH FOR ALL OF THE REPLIES!!!

You helped me out BIG time!

Thank you so so much!

My employer pretty much screwed up on this, and I was informed that since I got work permit I do NOT have to leave every 90 days...so now I know that this is not true...

...sadly I'm 16 days overdue and will have to pay a pretty nice fine :(

Thank you SO MUCH for all of your answers.

....I'm running to cross the border RIGHT NOW!! :).... thanks guys!

To answer the question correctly, once the work permit has been issued the holder needs to take it (with copies of the same paperwork given to the labour department by the employer) to the local immigration office who, will then change the date in the passport to match the expiry date in the work permit! Very simple proceedure

• Like 1

How do you have a 1 year visa non-B without a work permit ?

Getting the first 90 days is not a problem from consulates, but as you suggest, getting the extension for one year or as per contract, would require the W.P. Some labor offices issue it with documentation before the Non B, but others such as Kalsin will not issue the W.P. until they see the Non B in your passport.

Only a thought from me.

If the employer could be convinced to go to Immigration and apologize for the late reporting it might work out better, ie Thai talking to Thai officer etc.

Might save a border run and a lot of hassle.

As I said only a thought.

• Like 1

I will be doing a visit in one week to a nearby countries Thai consulate to get a 'B' visa. Like OP, I already have a valid work WP but was told by both Imm officers and work colleagues that a 90 days TM47 is the only reporting needed, after I get my 'B' visa.

Is this correct as this thread has now thrown a few doubts in my mind.

Edited by DILLIGAD

To answer the question correctly, once the work permit has been issued the holder needs to take it (with copies of the same paperwork given to the labour department by the employer) to the local immigration office who, will then change the date in the passport to match the expiry date in the work permit! Very simple proceedure

This is not correct, since if the OP has a One Year Multiple Entry Non Immigrant Category 'B' Visa (issued by Thai Consular facilities in other countries), then the visa expiry date/entry stamp is never locked to the WP expiry date, or for that matter to thaving a Work Permit per se.

Only a thought from me.

If the employer could be convinced to go to Immigration and apologize for the late reporting it might work out better, ie Thai talking to Thai officer etc.

Might save a border run and a lot of hassle.

As I said only a thought.

The OP is not on an Extension of Permission to Stay for Working in the Kingdom of Thailand (Police Order 777/2551 Case 2.1) and thus has no requirement to report; so how would the employer talking to the local immigration help?

Following this approach could could even risk the OP being subject to arrest, imprisonment, fine and then deportation!

I will be doing a visit in one week to a nearby countries Thai consulate to get a 'B' visa. Like OP, I already have a valid work WP but was told by both Imm officers and work colleagues that a 90 days TM47 is the only reporting needed, after I get my 'B' visa.

Just for info.

My multi O and WP start date are almost the same. WP one week after issue of Multi O.

WP is stamped for 1 year.

I prefer to do border runs or have a 2 or 3 day break somewhere every 90 days. If and when employment stops the Multi O will still be valid for the remainder of the year.

I won't have to go through the 7 days to leave the country thing and if offered another job can easily get a new WP on the remaining time left on the Multi O.

• Like 1

If you are on a 90 day passport entry stamp based on a Non Immigrant Category 'B' Visa issued at a Thai Consular facility in another country then you must leave Thailand within the 90 days or get an Extension of Permission to Stay from Thai Immigration based on say Case 2.1 of National Police Order 777/2551 (Working in the Kingdom of Thailand).

You only do a TM47 report after 90 days in Thailand (+7,-15 days) if you have such a One Year Extension Stamp in your Passport.

Here is a link to the list of requirements for a Non Immigarnt Category 'B' Visa: (one year Multiple entry Non 'B's are now difficult to get and are only available at a few Thai Consular facilities, given the correct paperwork is supplied)

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

Below is an example of the required paperwork for a one year extension based on workling in the Kingdom of Thailand.

• Like 1

WP allows you to work, it does not change visa conditions.

You will not have to do border run once your non b expire, you will then apply for extension of stay based on work.

Once you have extension , then you only need to report every 90 days

• Like 2

1. Obtaining a work permit does not change visa conditions or allow not leaving when current stay ends.

2. With a work permit you may be eligible to obtain a one year extension of stay subject to company paperwork meeting conditions and your pay being at or above the requirement for your nationality. This is obtained for 1,900 baht fee by submitting TM.7 to local immigration office during the last 30 days of current entry.

3. Some people will not qualify for extensions so must leave every 90 days or less for a new non immigrant entry.

4. Only those already on extension of stay are required to do TM.47 address reports and that is in addition to normal extensions of stay.

• Like 2

As others have pointed out, the work permit, extension of stay, and visa are all SEPARATE.

If you already have a 1 year multi B visa, each entry gives you 90 days permission to stay.

With the work permit, you have the OPTION to visit immigration and request a 1 year extension of stay. This gives you 1 year permission to stay. If approved, no need to physically leave country, but 90 day reports need to be mailed/handed into immigration.

But an extension has different rules than the visa. For example, if you extend because you have a job (work permit) and then lose your job, your extension of stay is now instantly disqualified. You have 7 days to find a new reason to extend (and reapply and get approved for the new extension reason) or leave the country.

With the [non imm, multi entry] visa, you simply make a border run every 90 days (for a new 90 day permission to stay stamp) while the visa is still valid. External circumstances do not affect the visa.

The inability to distingush between a:

1) VISA (pre-authorization dates for you to visit a country),

2) PERMISSION to stay (maximum consecutive days you can legally stay in country from the day of entry), and

3) EXTENSION of stay (extending the permission to stay beyond the original entry p.t.s.

is the single largest source of confusion on this forum and with many people i talk with. They incorrectly use the terms "visa", "permission to stay", and "extension [of stay]" interchangibly.

An extension of stay is merely extending the permission to stay.

Ok. Done ranting. But from what ive witnessed, especially the work permit thing, i see very little tactical advantage to trading out the non imm multi entry visa for an extension of stay. But i can see many disadvantages beyond the paperwork hassle, especially for someone new to the region.

"...the 2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app (Galaxy Note 2).

Work permits are not normally issued for ED visas.

You could apply for the work permit with the ED and then go out for a B visa.

I was in this situation few years ago, first need to get non b and then apply for WP

However note when leaving the country with ED, make sure to get either a letter from the school stating you have finished studying or a stamp from immigration, otherwise as in my case they refused to let me out (put exit stamp).

Few people same day had the same problem, one guy had a problem because he did not have a letter from the employer that he resigned from work.

As strange as it sounds, it was hell for all of us, only few managed to exit with stamps.

Unless you are going to work as a teacher you will not get a B visa unless you have already applied for work permit at any nearby consulate or embassy.

I thought WP was issued by the labor department NOT embassy or consulate

I did not say you get a work permit at an embassy or consulate.

What I said was that you cannot get a B visa (other than for teaching) unless you have already applied at labor department for a work permit.