Best Indian in Pattaya?

mcyachty

1. The indian on Beach road near soi 10 was  bloody excellent when it first opened around 11 years ago. I loved going there untill about 3 years ago and the Indian couple weren't there ...the curries became more like soups and the service was anything BUT service!!

This was the first Indian food I ever had in my life, about 8 years ago.  I ordered directly from the Indian woman and told her I had never had Indian food.  She brought out a whole 5 course meal.  Most expensive meal in my life, but it was worth it!   Kinda sad to hear that the couple is no longer there and it has gone downhill.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you belong to the frugal freddies group?

I wouldn't belong to any group that would have me as a member. It would be too demeaning.

ThaiVisa accepted you as a member

We were desperate... :D

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

do you belong to the frugal freddies group?

I wouldn't belong to any group that would have me as a member. It would be too demeaning.

ThaiVisa accepted you as a member

We were desperate... biggrin.png

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

obviously

I don't know the Indian Chimney, but the Golden Chimney on Pattaya Tai by the Shell station is excellent 4 star ambiance with reasonable prices for Pattaya Indian food and the chef is imported from India not local "Tai Indian" like so many others. 

So YOU are the only person I have seen in there eating.......from outside I would put the ambience at 0. It looks more like a company canteen with table cloths with a couple of servers in the window picking their noses waiting for the wonder...... 

Dear Sir,

I am the manager of Golden Chimney located on South Pattaya Road between CAT telecom and shell gas station. As I can see you have some very negative comments about our restaurant, could you please let us know your reasons so that we can improve on our services in case you had a bad experience on your visit.

Many Thanks.

• Like 1

I don't know the Indian Chimney, but the Golden Chimney on Pattaya Tai by the Shell station is excellent 4 star ambiance with reasonable prices for Pattaya Indian food and the chef is imported from India not local "Tai Indian" like so many others. 

Yes that's a fancy place. No business relation to Chimney. Chimney also claims to have an Indian chef.

There is absolutely nothing about its exterrior that tempts me to go further than looking at the outside menu...

Dear Sir, 

We would like to welcome you to Golden Chimney and try our food, It wouldn't be fair to judge our restaurant without having a meal and personally experience our service. 

Many Thanks

I like Rasoi Indian restaurant, near where Thappraya Rd. and Second Rd. intersect.  If you are going from Jomtien to Pattaya down Thappraya Rd., just after the overpass,  turn right on second road and you should see Rasoi on the right side (think it is across from a Family Mart on the opposite side of the road).  It has a/c and good food.  They are not stingy in terms of how much you get.  Vegetarian thale is good..........palak paneer..........nan.....I have never been disappointed.  Fairly friendly staff too.

Agree 100%. I have been going there since they opened, at least once a week (just went last night). The Thali plate is great, and only 180 baht, with coke get out of there for 200. Generous portions and all I could want in Indian food. Just maybe 50 meters away from Nova Platinum Hotel . There is a Family Mart across street, but there are lots of FMs.  Address is 385/5 Moo 10 Pratumnak Road (according to business card). I like to sit outside and watch the near misses on the road, but does have a/c. It is my favorite place to eat in Pattaya.

• Like 1

I can tell you where NOT to go..

1. The indian on Beach road near soi 10 was  bloody excellent when it first opened around 11 years ago. I loved going there untill about 3 years ago and the Indian couple weren't there ...the curries became more like soups and the service was anything BUT service!!

2. Alibaba on Pattaya Klang...awfull...just bloody awfull. We were 3 families wanting to enjoy an afternoon meal but walked into a 70s restuarent booming out 90s disco music....and served by what seemed like a philipino that struggled with both English and Thai.Our request to change the music ( unsurprisingly we were the only ones there) was met by an emphatic " We like it" . The food was obviously heated up in a microwave with a hard crust around the edges...they hadn't even bothered to stir the rest of it....Food was just thrown in front of us as if they were angry with us just being there...I have seen cleaner less smelly sofas in a soi 6 bar......

I really enjoy Alibaba's worn out, stained table cloths and napkins along with the dust that has settled on its wall decoratons. I think it is wise to keep the lights dim so one doesnt see all the imperfections of the place. I use to order carry out from Alibaba (waiters on wheels) but Alibaba seems to throw its "left overs"  with its carryouts. I guess they think the customers are only one time customers so it doesn't matter they do not care about the quality.  Yes,there are times they have good Indian cuisine, but it is hit and miss.

Off the main topic but watch out for Little India (British Indian  products) from Rik in Surin. I believe these are, or will be, available in Pattaya.

I have never tasted such authentic curries and those in the Surin area who have tried them all say the same.

I like Rasoi Indian restaurant, near where Thappraya Rd. and Second Rd. intersect.  If you are going from Jomtien to Pattaya down Thappraya Rd., just after the overpass,  turn right on second road and you should see Rasoi on the right side (think it is across from a Family Mart on the opposite side of the road).  It has a/c and good food.  They are not stingy in terms of how much you get.  Vegetarian thale is good..........palak paneer..........nan.....I have never been disappointed.  Fairly friendly staff too.

Agree 100%. I have been going there since they opened, at least once a week (just went last night). The Thali plate is great, and only 180 baht, with coke get out of there for 200. Generous portions and all I could want in Indian food. Just maybe 50 meters away from Nova Platinum Hotel . There is a Family Mart across street, but there are lots of FMs.  Address is 385/5 Moo 10 Pratumnak Road (according to business card). I like to sit outside and watch the near misses on the road, but does have a/c. It is my favorite place to eat in Pattaya.

Thanks both of you, had never heard of it, will give it a try sometime.

if anyone knows approx what time they close ( or last orders time) I`d appreciate it.

I tend to eat late.

Cheerssmile.png

Thanks both of you, had never heard of it, will give it a try sometime.

if anyone knows approx what time they close ( or last orders time) I`d appreciate it.

I tend to eat late.

Cheerssmile.png

http://www.foodpanda.co.th/restaurant/t6ht/indian-rasoi-pattaya#tab-restaurant-info

• Like 1

I am not a fan of Indian food but my friends recommend Indian by Nature. Many positive reviews on Trip Advisor too.

Where is this located?

306/64-68 Thapraya Road  Towards Jomtein, Pattaya, Chon Buri 20150, Thailand

+66 38 364 656

No clue on the the best Indian Restaurant in Pattaya but my choice hands down is Golden Chimney....although relatively new in town...the prices are very reasonable...the ambiance is wonderful and the staff makes it a point to do their best....i have been there several times and really recommend it to everyone on this forum.....Cheers

Why do people keep banging on about ambience and decor?

Proper bunch of old women on here.

I think not enough attention given to ambience and decor in Pattaya restaurants - why don't they play Indian music/Thai/Italian &c? I don't want to hear :rain drops keep falling on my head when eating Indian food, I do know of one Italian who plays Opera in his restaurant, can't think of an Indian place that has Sitar or even Bollywood,,,

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think not enough attention given to ambience and decor in Pattaya restaurants - why don't they play Indian music/Thai/Italian &c? I don't want to hear :rain drops keep falling on my head when eating Indian food, I do know of one Italian who plays Opera in his restaurant, can't think of an Indian place that has Sitar or even Bollywood,,,

Alibaba plays sitar etc.

So bring your MP3 player.

• Like 1

No clue on the the best Indian Restaurant in Pattaya but my choice hands down is Golden Chimney....although relatively new in town...the prices are very reasonable...the ambiance is wonderful and the staff makes it a point to do their best....i have been there several times and really recommend it to everyone on this forum.....Cheers

What SPECIFIC dishes do you think are so exceptional? As far as their prices, as anyone can read, they are typical Pattaya market Indian prices which many people including me think are on the high side. 

Here is their menu:

http://www.goldenchimney.com/Content/Archive/206/Golden_Food_Menu.pdf

Edited by Jingthing

i was at the opening night of Indian by Nature many years ago

they had a sitar player and other Indian musicians

it was a brief performance, the police arrested them for having no work permits.......

Dear ThaiVisa Forum Memebers,

Its quite interesting to see such a lengthy discussion on Indian restaurants in Pattaya. We are a relatively new restaurant in Pattaya (Opened about 6 months or so). Our target market is the expat community in Pattaya, unlike other restaurants that cater towards the bus loads of tourists. We are a fine dine Indian restaurant designed specially for the expat community. Our food is freshly prepared and can be adjusted to suit your preferred taste requirements. We have a experienced Indian chef from the heart of India Punjab which can guarantee authenticity in our cuisine. I welcome all food reviewers in Pattaya to come and dine at our restaurant and critique our food so that we improve ourselves and can serve you better. Golden Chimney is located on Pattaya Tai (South Pattaya Road) between CAT telecom and Shell Gas Station. 

Many thanks,

Team - Golden Chimney 

038 414 675

www.goldenchimney.com

www.facebook.com/goldenchimney

What SPECIFIC dishes do you think are so exceptional? As far as their prices, as anyone can read, they are typical Pattaya market Indian prices which many people including me think are on the high side. 

Here is their menu:

http://www.goldenchimney.com/Content/Archive/206/Golden_Food_Menu.pdf

On my visit I ordered the Butter Chicken, Onion Bhaji, Tandoori Chicken, Aloo Gobhi, Pilav Rice and Garlic Naan, and the Gulab Jamun Dessert, The poppadoms were complimentary. The prices are definitely the same as any other Indian restaurants but the overall quality of food and the service is something unseen in Indian Restaurants in Pattaya...What is your experience on this restaurant. ?

If you really want to pack in the expats, offer a 20 percent discount to all locals who can show proof of residence, either a local driver's license, copy of telephone bill, etc. Perhaps only on special off nights if you like. I see Golden Chimney adds 7 percent tax to the bill. 

Another thing that I think might pack in the expats if well promoted is a better than standard full Indian buffet, perhaps on weekends only. The concept I am thinking of is somewhere between the bus tour buffets and the upscale Bangkok buffets. More unusual curries, spiced authentically not for wimps, not the same curries all the time so that if you go again it won't be the exact same meal, with a generous portion of sizzling chicken tandoori brought to the table for each order. Priced at about 350 baht without drinks. 

I know places don't like to hear it, but if you're wondering why you're not packing people in, it just might be the ... PRICES. Some Indian people may be addicted to Indian food but non-Indian people who like Indian food will compare the prices at local Indian places to their other local options and just not eat Indian as often as they might like due to the prices. Think about it, locally you can get a serviceable French food full meal cheaper than a serviceable Indian food full meal here. I am not one who thinks Indian should/can be priced as low as cheaper Thai options, but I do think the local Indian prices are not quite right (compare to Singapore even). 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

If you really want to pack in the expats, offer a 20 percent discount to all locals who can show proof of residence, either a local driver's license, copy of telephone bill, etc. Perhaps only on special off nights if you like. I see Golden Chimney adds 7 percent tax to the bill. 

Another thing that I think might pack in the expats if well promoted is a better than standard full Indian buffet, perhaps on weekends only. The concept I am thinking of is somewhere between the bus tour buffets and the upscale Bangkok buffets. More unusual curries, spiced authentically not for wimps, not the same curries all the time so that if you go again it won't be the exact same meal, with a generous portion of sizzling chicken tandoori brought to the table for each order. Priced at about 350 baht without drinks. 

I know places don't like to hear it, but if you're wondering why you're not packing people in, it just might be the ... PRICES. Some Indian people may be addicted to Indian food but non-Indian people who like Indian food will compare the prices at local Indian places to their other local options and just not eat Indian as often as they might like due to the prices. Think about it, locally you can get a serviceable French food full meal cheaper than a serviceable Indian food full meal here. I am not one who thinks Indian should/can be priced as low as cheaper Thai options, but I do think the local Indian prices are not quite right (compare to Singapore even). 

Golden Chimney offers a 20% Discount for its regular customers and the expat community.

We also have a set menu for 299 Net which includes:

1.One Popadum, 2. Starter: Onion Bhaji & Chicken Tikka 3. Main course: Chicken Madras & Vegetable Curry. 4. Pulao Rice 5. Bread: One Butter or Garlic Naan 6. Dessert: Kulfi or Gulab Jamun

We are not certain about the prices in comparison to other countries but we feel we are quite reasonable because of the high food costs associated with Indian food such as spices and lentils which we import from India.  

With regards to the buffet, Golden Chimney would love to do a buffet night once we have enough customers signing for that.

Many Thanks.

Thanks for your response.

When you say there is a 20 percent discount, I'm not sure what you mean.

There is nothing on your website about that, is there?

Are you talking about the Pattaya City Expats Club discount scheme?

I suppose you are.

What percentage of expats do you imagine are actually members of ANY expat club?

I don't know but if I had to guess, I would guess under FIVE percent.

I suggest if you are serious about offering a locals discount that you be more specific about that and also post the particulars on your website.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks for your response.

When you say there is a 20 percent discount, I'm not sure what you mean.

There is nothing on your website about that, is there?

Are you talking about the Pattaya City Expats Club discount scheme?

I suppose you are.

What percentage of expats do you imagine are actually members of ANY expat club?

I don't know but if I had to guess, I would guess under FIVE percent.

I suggest if you are serious about offering a locals discount that you be more specific about that and also post the particulars on your website.

Cheers.

Sorry about not presenting the information clearly, we shall put it up on our website and Facebook page very soon. This is because we have started this promotion only very recently. In the meantime you can be rest assured all the expats living in Pattaya are eligible for 20% discount at Golden Chimney.

We hope to see you soon.

Many Thanks,

Team - Golden Chimney