Thais are some of the least rude people in the world - Int'l travel site

webfact

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must agree....while purchasing some pad thai yesterday, i was complimented on being fat, as has been done many times in Thailand, but nowhere else. These are indeed some rather polite people crazy.gif

Yeah, and I just can't understand it when I compliment Thai people on their suntans and they get all huffy and angry..

Edited by zydeco
  • Like 2

Rudeness or simply bad behavior?

For example years ago I remember watching in amusement from my hotel balcony as a group of obviously well drilled German holidaymakers appeared at dawn to place beach towels on virtually every poolside lounger, a well known national trait at the time.....only for a group of British tourists to appear a few minutes later from their night out on the razz and having spotted them and proceed to sling the whole lot into the water.

So who was rude and who was badly behaved?

Xons Playa, Costa Dorada, 1988... guilty, your honour. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Thai's are the most polite people in the world. Even when having a disagreement with them, they will smile. Of course they smile to get out of the tight situation, then go to their car and get a gun,

come back and shoot you!

Articles like these are obviously written to get our most pleasant TV members to talk about how much they like the country they spend so much time in.

And how long have you lived in Thailand?

After 30 years in hotel industry, the worst guests for me are, in no particular order: Israelis, Russians, Chinese, Koreans, Indians.

The best: Australians, Japanese, Thai, Americans (obnoxious at times but not rude), Kiwis.

Agreed, also after 35 yrs. in the industry. Would however add the Germans, who expect everything for free and already at check-in tell you how to run your business. O.c. not all of them, but many....MS>

Misanthropy is my new religion...

After 30 years+ within the hospitality industry, I cannot barely stand anyone... anymore !!

Good pointbiggrin.png

And also some of the most frank and straightforward people.

Hopefully, we all prefer straightforward to sleazy bowing and scraping. Because 'FACE' is so important, if you insult a Thai, they will sneak behind you back; complain to your family, hire a thug, whatever to get back at you and will not face you over anything.

Yeterday, I confronted the manager of a local Tesco, who bowed and scraped, agreeing with everyting I said - I would have much preferred he got openl;y angry and explained his reasons for things being fouled up.

• Like 2

Cover your mouth while using a toothpick but openly stick a finger up the nose to the knuckle.

Define polite? describing somebody as fat or ugly to their face whilst picking your nose, would that be polite?

Take shoes off before going inside but put feet up on furniture, on restaurant seats and on trains, buses and aircraft and this includes sitting cross legged with both feet up.

I really don't know how findings like this are arrived at as we all have our own values.

-------------------------------------------------------

The people doing the survey never had to take a bus in Bangkok: people getting on never allow for people to get off. Never had to stay in a queue and see, at times, Thais playing dumb and crashing the line and getting in front of everybody. They never had to be in a super market and be hit by hand baskets and karts being pushed by Thais going forward but looking intently to the side. Yes, after they crash into you and your ankle is in pain, the issue a perfunctory "solly" and continue their merry way, alone in the world. Sneezing in a crowd without covering the nose is another manifestation of their Thainess. Is that rudeness or is it culture? In my opinion it is both. A specific norm of behavior that can, at times, become rude and injurious.

I think you used the "never" word too many times. I'm out in the Thai "maddening crowd" often in Bangkok, including restaurants, buses, MRT, BTS, sidewalk, traffic, etc. and my view is that it depends on the class of the Thai one is encountering - on an individual level.

I believe that over-generalizations should be avoided. So far, the only valid generalization I've been able to deduce is that they all speak Thai. I am also aware that, due to my travel venues, I'm most likely limiting myself to encountering a certain class subset of Thai individuals.

So far the most rude have been in my experience have been a LB (not surprising and to the level of behaving badly) and certain foreigners at the counter in Foodland.

Edited by MaxYakov

After 30 years in hotel industry, the worst guests for me are, in no particular order: Israelis, Russians, Chinese, Koreans, Indians.

The best: Australians, Japanese, Thai, Americans (obnoxious at times but not rude), Kiwis.

Agreed, also after 35 yrs. in the industry. Would however add the Germans, who expect everything for free and already at check-in tell you how to run your business. O.c. not all of them, but many....MS>

Misanthropy is my new religion...

After 30 years+ within the hospitality industry, I cannot barely stand anyone... anymore !!

Good pointbiggrin.png

Ignoring the double negative, of course.

The truth must really hurt. It is an assault on some Farangs' pride to be ranked among the rudest people in the world, but it is nothing new. The Thais who work in the tourist areas have to put up with rude and obnoxious Farangs all the time. They only do it for money. Farangs should get used to the idea that, to the locals, they are nothing more than a bunch of profitable cash cows.

• Like 2

The truth must really hurt. It is an assault on some Farangs' pride to be ranked among the rudest people in the world, but it is nothing new. The Thais who work in the tourist areas have to put up with rude and obnoxious Farangs all the time. They only do it for money. Farangs should get used to the idea that, to the locals, they are nothing more than a bunch of profitable cash cows.

Adjusting for local culture and underlining some hidden meaning, wouldn't that be "cash buffalo" (or baht buffalo).

Adjusting for local culture and underlining some hidden meaning, wouldn't that be "cash buffalo" (or baht buffalo)?

Groveling isn't for everybody, mate.

Not real sharp are you unanimosity ?

The fact that you regard my attitude towards people as grovelling really sums up your mentality. There is a big difference between being polite and courteous, and grovelling.

There is also a big difference between trying to get along with people and being an arrogant, obnoxious moron. clap2.gif

clap2.gif

Not entirely related but an interesting anecdote this reminded me of. A few years ago back in Japan, a senior Defense ministry secretary was caught in a huge embezzlement scheme: He had been negotiating deals directly with US contractors, then hiring foreign actors to pose as said contractors and meet with other officals, giving a vastly inflated price - then he pocketed the difference.

Not really on topic, but corruption for one, isn't a Thai monopoly - I'm pretty sure it's just as bad back home, it just makes less noise. Hell, in the US they've made it an institution and called it "lobbying"

[quote name="fakename" post="6689435"

Thai are the most polite people in the world. Even when having a disagreement with them, they will smile. Of course they smile to get out of the tight situation, then go to their car and get a gun,

come back and shoot you!

Articles like these are obviously written to get our most pleasant TV members to talk about how much they like the country they spend so much time in.

I guess over 5 years is long enough to say that I haven't become the kind of TV member I was referring to. But I can say that I am probably also more integrated than most of "those".

Edited by Krabi King

Thai are the most polite people in the world. Even when having a disagreement with them, they will smile. Of course they smile to get out of the tight situation, then go to their car and get a gun,

come back and shoot you!

I guess over 5 years is long enough to say that I haven't become the kind of TV member I was referring to. But I can say that I am probably also more integrated than most of "those".

"Yet" you've only been a member of thai visa for one month. Possible of course, but I think just as likely Not, by the way I also live in Krabi, 25 yrs experience. There are many good Thai people. Unfortunately the bad ones seem to be taking advantage of the fact that Farangs are allowed to be open game, within this past year there have been three serious incidences in this area.

1/ A Farang couple attacked on Nopperata beach. 2/ Evil man from Krabi. 3/ The murder of an American outside centre point. And these are only the ones that have made it into the international media, I do not recall during the previously 24 yrs many such incidence,but then again,I may have been wearing my rosé coloured glasses.

• Like 1

Not entirely related but an interesting anecdote this reminded me of. A few years ago back in Japan, a senior Defense ministry secretary was caught in a huge embezzlement scheme: He had been negotiating deals directly with US contractors, then hiring foreign actors to pose as said contractors and meet with other officals, giving a vastly inflated price - then he pocketed the difference.

Not really on topic, but corruption for one, isn't a Thai monopoly - I'm pretty sure it's just as bad back home, it just makes less noise. Hell, in the US they've made it an institution and called it "lobbying"

You couldn't be more wrong!

I'm not going to defend "lobbying", but just explain it. It's an attempt to get it out in the open, make legislation become as "visible" as possible. ie. this is the new law, these are the ones proposing it, these are the ones sponsoring it, these are the ones defending it, these are the ones sabotaging it.

For the most part Asia, and Thailand (where everything important is done behind closed doors) are LIGHT YEARS BEHIND.

come back and shoot you!

"Yet" you've only been a member of thai visa for one month. Possible of course, but I think just as likely Not, by the way I also live in Krabi, 25 yrs experience. There are many good Thai people. Unfortunately the bad ones seem to be taking advantage of the fact that Farangs are allowed to be open game, within this past year there have been three serious incidences in this area.

1/ A Farang couple attacked on Nopperata beach. 2/ Evil man from Krabi. 3/ The murder of an American outside centre point. And these are only the ones that have made it into the international media, I do not recall during the previously 24 yrs many such incidence,but then again,I may have been wearing my rosé coloured glasses.

I've had an (forgotten) account before, but was never active, since reading the news was free and didn't feel like spreading my opinion here. Still don't really feel a great urge by the way, but thought I'd give it a go sometime. Just relocated to Krabi last year, by the way, since my wife is from here.

I agree with you on your thoughts. Krabi is of course also undergoing some development that brings in more people from outside, good and bad, Thais and foreigners. The three cases you mention are serious, though I think on the other hand nothing as extreme might happen in the next few years. Let's just hope for the best. And I not mean that by putting on your rose glasses cool.png, but things happen now and then.

And let's also not forget that in our home countries murder, rape and corruption are also frequent happenings. Wherever you are from.

If you choose to live here, you have to enjoy the good sides and unfortunately undergo/experience the bad sides. Just like anywhere else in the world.

Guess I am becoming an active TV member after all...crying.gif

Skyscanner is an Edinburgh based website, we Glasgwegian's think people from Edinburgh are rude. I bet you can think of example's of people in your own country that have a reputation for being rude.

Some people take delight in being rude, like Yorkshiremen. They will tell you straight how it is, even if they haven't got a clue what they are talking about. Then they'll beam with pride when they tell you that Yorkshiremen are straight talkers.

Payboy makes a valid point, you can only be truly rude if you know what manners are.

Part of international travel, to gain exposure to more culture's, to learn how to get along with people. Too many people only export ignorance and bigotry.

It's embarrassing to behold.

So is a PRC tourist breakfast buffet.

Smiley bloke doing a Thai wai.

hahaha evidently they have not driven on thailands streets and highways. there is not a day that goes bye that i am not cut off or have someone pull out in front of me.

Yesterday a man did not stop for a traffic stop sign and pulled in front of me as i was biking for exercise and when i had to lock up the brakes I took a nasty fall. It is very rude when you do not obey the rules of the road

• Like 1

hahaha evidently they have not driven on thailands streets and highways. there is not a day that goes bye that i am not cut off or have someone pull out in front of me.

Yesterday a man did not stop for a traffic stop sign and pulled in front of me as i was biking for exercise and when i had to lock up the brakes I took a nasty fall. It is very rude when you do not obey the rules of the road

Try riding a bike in China.

Having lived in Thailand now for seven years, I could count the fingers in one hand the amount of Thais that have been rude to me.

Do you speak Thai well enough to understand?

Having lived in Thailand now for seven years, I could count the fingers in one hand the amount of Thais that have been rude to me.
Do you speak Thai well enough to understand?

Do you speak Chinese?

• 6 months later...

At first glance thai people are nice but then when you stay a little longer and scratch the surface you see them for what they are, or rather how they see farangs....of course not all of them, but living as an English teacher just out of BKK, I really did not feel accepted and quite the outsider. Also tried buying a mobile phone once, got completely ignored. Trying to get into minivans was also an isolating experience. They are just rude to westerners because it is such a monoculture in Thailand, not very multicultural so there is less tolerance....and they also just see you as money bags. Apart from the rudeness, comes the giggling and being made fun of, simply for being a farang, and it makes them seem so simple. And if those negative qualities weren't enough, I also find Thai VERY boring....i never thought I'd hear myself say this but they are way too well-behaved, there is no life in what they do...I now appreciate debaucherous westerners more simply because it is more exciting and fun to be around...Thai people are just too passive and well, just plain boring. Of course I'm massively generalising and if I spoke fluent Thai it might be different, but it's just the general vibe I get wherever Thais congregate, including malls and nightclubs...they are just really boring and passive, it's only fun when there are obnoxious westerners around, and that's saying something!