Referees and identity for British citizenship

I have read the supporting documents but would prefer someone else to confirm it for me.

I am struggling with the referees as we moved back to the UK we live away from old friends who could do this.

It says on the UKBA "One referee should be a person of any nationality " plus from list of Acceptable professional persons.

Does this mean she can use any friends back in Thailand who have the profession from the list..

I know its a straight forward Q & A but these documents are a one time deal and it gets a bit stressful making sure they are 100% correct and my thought process

and understanding is correct.

First Referee someone from Thailand who is on the list? is okay to use.

Second Referee "they have known the applicant personally for more than 3 years;"

The other part of my question is about the 3 years of knowing the person, we moved in with my English friend on the day she arrived in the UK so that would be 3 years he since he met her.

He never met her previously in person but knew of her from photos and stories from my time spent in Thailand before moving back to the UK

Would he be able to sign the document as knowing her personally for more than 3 years, or should we submit the document 1 week after the 3 year date since

she arrived in the UK.

Thanks for any help and advice...

From reading Section 5 - referees and identity on Completing the application form I would say that as she is applying in the UK that both referees must be resident in the UK.

So the first referee should be someone from the list who is a UK resident.

She and you must know someone from the list.

Have you children? Then one of their teachers. Learnt to drive? Then her driving instructor. A neighbour who is on the list? A friend of your parents? Your employer or someone you work with? It doesn't need to be a close friend, just someone who knows her, either professionally or otherwise.

Doctors were taken off the list because they will charge; but I understand that they are still acceptable. Dentists are on the list; do you and she have one?

Knowing someone via photographs is not knowing them personally; but as she must have been in the UK for at least three years, then your friend must have known her personally for at least three years so, provided he is British and on the list or over 25, he can be the second referee.

Edited by 7by7

Sorry to jump on this thread but on the same subject does anyone know if not having the passport numbers on the referee part will have any affect on the outcome, my wifes manager has signed but now says he has not got a passport, so is it best to re-print the form and get someone else or will it be ok??

The problem i see is that it has been 3 years since she arrived, and the document says " The referees should have known you personally for at least three years."

Which excludes everyone inside the 3 years, this is why i am confused.

Surely I am not the only one with this situation.

Thanks for the help and replies so far.

For the professional person - your manager, HR officer at work would be acceptable. Any colleague who is a corporate member of a chartered professional body, Anyone holding a Masters or Doctorate from a recognized British University will be considered as "professional". I have signed as a referee for people based on this without any problem.

Try to think of colleagues, friends, neighbours who fit this criteria and are likely to have known your wife since her arrival.

Question 5.9 on the form asks for "Current British citizen passport number (if any)"

So simply leave it blank or put "None."

Although from reading page 11 of the guidance, it appears that at least one of the referees should hold a British passport.

Or if you're really stuck enter their NI number (everyone has one of them!)

The problem i see is that it has been 3 years since she arrived, and the document says " The referees should have known you personally for at least three years."

Which excludes everyone inside the 3 years, this is why i am confused.

Surely I am not the only one with this situation.

Thanks for the help and replies so far.

She must have been in the UK for at least three years in order to meet the residential requirement.

Surely there must be at least two people who have known her for all of that time?

Did you not introduce her to any of your friends when she first arrived?

The referees don't have to be close friends; simply people who know her; socially or professionally, in her own right or through you.

But if there is no one who has known her long enough to sign, she'll just have to wait until there is.

Edited by 7by7

From reading Section 5 - referees and identity on Completing the application form I would say that as she is applying in the UK that both referees must be resident in the UK.

So the first referee should be someone from the list who is a UK resident.

She and you must know someone from the list.

Have you children? Then one of their teachers. Learnt to drive? Then her driving instructor. A neighbour who is on the list? A friend of your parents? Your employer or someone you work with? It doesn't need to be a close friend, just someone who knows her, either professionally or otherwise.

Doctors were taken off the list because they will charge; but I understand that they are still acceptable. Dentists are on the list; do you and she have one?

Knowing someone via photographs is not knowing them personally; but as she must have been in the UK for at least three years, then your friend must have known her personally for at least three years so, provided he is British and on the list or over 25, he can be the second referee.

Both referees do not have to be UK residents. A friend of mine is working for a UK company but has been resident in Sydney for four years.

He works for a major international broadcaster and recently signed off a reference for a friend with a Chinese spouse in the UK.

No problems at all.

Edited by theoldgit
Flame removed