What options are available for retiree expats needing insurance.

andreandre

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They stress coverage is for life if you join before age 60.

This suggests to me, that if you join after that age, they will dump you as soon as you make one significant claim.

This from their FAQ page:

1. Who is eligible to apply for cover?Almost anyone can purchase a HealthCare International medical policy. Our plans are tailored for expatriates, which is anyone who is away from their Home Country for at least six months of the policy year.

Our plans are annually renewable for whole of life; the only proviso being that you must be aged under 75 when first applying. You have to be at least 18 years of age to be the Policyholder.

TO avoid misunderstandigs= which company, which document? No escape clause at age 80?

I am 69 years old and recently took out a £1million health insurance with Cigna International. I pay £2000 as a one off payment if ill with a reduced monthly fee of £251.00.

I have blood pressure and cholestrol controlled by medication but they did not exclude me.

I am 69 years old and recently took out a £1million health insurance with Cigna International. I pay £2000 as a one off payment if ill with a reduced monthly fee of £251.00.

I have blood pressure and cholestrol controlled by medication but they did not exclude me.

And do you l;ive full time in Thailand if so you would be under Cigna Thailand and if you then check there health policies there are nothing like what you say you have I think you are talking the cigna uk if so then it has no relevance to us

We seem to have a lot of confusion, but it'd be useful to hear of "hands-on" experience of people over 60 who now move to thailand to live and want start an insurance for the big things only. Differences probably exist between nationailties as well as age-groups and existing policy holders. Any takers?

• Like 1

They stress coverage is for life if you join before age 60.

This suggests to me, that if you join after that age, they will dump you as soon as you make one significant claim.

This from their FAQ page:

1. Who is eligible to apply for cover?Almost anyone can purchase a HealthCare International medical policy. Our plans are tailored for expatriates, which is anyone who is away from their Home Country for at least six months of the policy year.

Our plans are annually renewable for whole of life; the only proviso being that you must be aged under 75 when first applying. You have to be at least 18 years of age to be the Policyholder.

TO avoid misunderstandigs= which company, which document? No escape clause at age 80?

This was Healthcare International, which if you go to the link I posted previously, go through their menu, and specifically their 'FAQ's'.

Re queries on underwriters, and anything else such as age related issues and/or previous conditions etc, best to email them for definitive responses.

Hopefully, this thread will produce someone who has actual experience of them, and can recommend or not. Certainly on paper they look competitive on price, but what's the service really like?

I got insured last year with BUPA.

I went to speak with the representatives in Phuket town a few times, so as to understand some of the intricacies.

The PLATINUM plan, the mid-range one, is the one I took, with INTERNATIONAL coverage, except USA.

Covers up to 2 million bahts.

Has to be taken before age 66, and then continued coverage after that age.

Costs me 79,000 bahts or so.

The CRYSTAL plan is for Thai people only, and cheaper because it is for medical care at the cheaper Thai hospitals ONLY.

The PLATINUM plan, is for farangs who can go at any hospitals, even abroad. (Again, except USA).

I was reading on this lady last month who got a motorbike accident at the Chalong circle. She was up to 1 million bahts costs at the hospital.

I have been here 20 years. The problem with BUPA and similar insurance schemes is that they do not spread their risks, so their premiums and sales literature are designed to fool you into thinking you have B3million cover for any hospital charges. However, their small print states that they will only actually cover 1 incident at B1million max. Furthermore, they then have a cap on the amount they will pay per day for I.C.U. or normal hospital bed. I discovered that the B92,000/year cover offered to me in Thailand did not cover the B1 million in hospital fees that I incurred whilst on vacation in Australia and the total they would pay was around B80,000 which is less than the actual annual premium and only 8% of the actual hospital bill.

I put B1 Million, the same as their supposed maximum cover, aside to cover Hospital bills for myself and family in an emergency fund at 3.25% interest.

I went to speak with the representatives in Phuket town a few times, so as to understand some of the intricacies.

The PLATINUM plan, the mid-range one, is the one I took, with INTERNATIONAL coverage, except USA.

The CRYSTAL plan is for Thai people only, and cheaper because it is for medical care at the cheaper Thai hospitals ONLY.

The PLATINUM plan, is for farangs who can go at any hospitals, even abroad. (Again, except USA).

I was reading on this lady last month who got a motorbike accident at the Chalong circle. She was up to 1 million bahts costs at the hospital.

Did you sign a form for the exceptions and if so what are you left with for cover?

Did you sign a form for the exceptions and if so what are you left with for cover?

I did go through the exceptions, and did not appear unreasonable.

Here is the link to check them out.

http://www.bupa.co.th/en/individuals/health-insurance/individual/detail.aspx?iid=1#.UgYqhpJzavE

here are 2 suggestions (I am 67 and will sign up next week for 1 of them):

http://en.april-international.com/global/ambassade-insurance?search=true

pros: known as paying promptly, life time extensions if you join before 70

cons: for reasonable premiums (300 $/month) only hospital, no outpatient (available though but not cheap).

they do however cover emergencies and day stays

out of country coverage (country you reside) coverage only up to 90 days

I can hook you up with a Farang in Pattaya, who sells the insurance.

http://www2.sevencorners.com/reside-worldwide/

pros: in and out patient coverage worldwide (incl. USA/Canada)

cons: coverage lower than the above April insurance

hope this is of help

thaisabai

coverage not as high as the above, 500.000 only

Before I moved to Thailand in March 2012 I applied for "Global Medical Insurance" with IMGlobal.

http://www.imglobal.com/img-insurance/international-health-insurance/global-medical-insurance.aspx

They flat turned me down, said I didn't meet their underwriting requirements, but wouldn't provide any details. I was surprised. I was used to being turned down in the U.S., but I thought it was a U.S. thing.

At the time I was age 49, in good health, with conditions that required treatment in the past but no longer require any treatment.

So, I lived 13 months in Thailand with no health insurance (or, "self insured"). I am back in the U.S. right now (uninsured here as well - I can't get individual health insurance in the U.S. at any cost), but plan to return to Thailand in the near future. I would like to have some health insurance, in the U.S. as well as abroad.

It sounds like I should try Healthcare International. Anyone here have success getting coverage with this company despite preexisting conditions? If so, are the preexisting conditions covered, or excluded?

Thanks!

My local hospital will not deal with foreign health insurance companies. They said they are a lot of trouble and take too long to pay. Can't blame them for that.

Think you need to put a little more explanation on that. Where are you talking about? Private or Government hospitals? Certainly in Phuket (and that's where essentially this thread is orientated to), that certainly is not the case. The debate is about efficiency and cost effectiveness of available insurance.

As far as I know if you don't have health insurance before your 60th birthday then it's not available in Thailand. My Thai company would only insure until 65 despite me being insured with then for 15 years, so I bailed out and signed up with BUPA before my 60 birthday. Premiums are horrendous. Not sure it's worth it, might be better to save the premium cost in a bnk account and self insure. But I am too deep in the premium hole.

Accident insurance is easy enough to get at any age, try Siam Commercial Bank.

Yes, premiums are horrendous and BUPA will not cover pre-existing conditions. So, what's the point? As for accident insurance, the premiums are quite high as well. Even life insurance premiums in Thailand, which is usually coupled with accident insurance, is pricey compared to the rate you would pay for the same coverage in the US. There is a total void of regulatory agencies to deal with consumer issue pertaining to insurance. Self-insure is definitely the best option.

You can get insurance before age 65 which will preclude any existing condition, so at 64 years old you discover you have high blood pressure , upon raching the age of 65 you will have hp precluded so any problems from that you are on your own, Hit 70 and it is nigh impossible to get cover , massive premiums all known medical conditions precluded and hefty clauses on the deductables. Best make sure you have a wad of cash stashed for emergency. Tonight picked a friend up from Bangkok Hospital he fell into a diabetic coma unaware he was diabetic, the hospital saved his life with minutes to spare, he was in intensive care for 5 days reg ward 2 days bill 750,000 baht they would not let him leave until it was paid, can you imagine trying to call banks at 7pm Saturday night on a 3 day weekend, it took two and a half hours to raise the cash and my friend is a wealthy man, just be aware,

As far as I know if you don't have health insurance before your 60th birthday then it's not available in Thailand. My Thai company would only insure until 65 despite me being insured with then for 15 years, so I bailed out and signed up with BUPA before my 60 birthday. Premiums are horrendous. Not sure it's worth it, might be better to save the premium cost in a bnk account and self insure. But I am too deep in the premium hole.

Accident insurance is easy enough to get at any age, try Siam Commercial Bank.

You are right...I signed up for Platinum last year [i'm 58], and BUPA told me an average of 10% a year after 65, from an already high base. By the time it might be needed [outside accidents], it could be a very expensive exercise. If I make 85, the missus has suggested she might think about ending it quietly for me..blink.png

• Like 1

I will be coming from the US at 56. Non eligible for medicare here for years. Buying my own insurance here would probably cost $1200/month....probably more once Obamacare kicks in. Maybe that's the benefit of the US healthcare system....it makes health insurance premiums in pretty much anywhere else in the world seem like a bargain

I went with Thai Health I pay 14,000 a year at 57 coverage is 400,000

Which is better than nothing,but not going to cover you if the proverbial shit hits the fan with a very serious health problem.

True but it's a very good start and probably good for 10+ years if he is in good health. It's more coverage than I have but I'm a little younger.

LMG Pacific provides probably the best health cover for over 65s living in Thailand in terms of value for money. Google it and see. As far as I remember, you can start it when you like. I joined at 64.

Edited by spr&q

Like most here I am also interested in getting a health policy at a reasonable price and trying to understand what the premiums will be like as I get older.

I'm confused and disappointed why some people would post on here to add information to the thread but use terms like "horrendous" or " massive" to describe the premiums they are being charged.

While I appreciate you are trying to add information to the thread it would be much appreciated if you would just state the actual amount of the premium so we can decide if its "horrendous" or " massive" to us.

Thanks

• Like 1

PA senior accident insurance for people 50 to 100 years old , 60,000 baht for broken bones fractures etc 600,000 for accidental death or murder 20,000 baht per month for 12 months for rehab, premium 5080 baht per year, lesser amount policies available but amounts quoted will be reduced accordingly contact Bangkok Bank insurance for details phone1333. They also do PA kids and PA smart for wives gf and kids. I realise that this will not cover all you health needs, but will cover accidents etc

"A Plus", underwritten by Allianz. Cover at USD586per annum, 50 year old. You can pay quarterly about USD147. An annual claim limit of USD500,000, private room, emergency evac... This one has an excess USD675, which is only a one time thing in a twelve month period of claims. It's a South East Asia policy, so you're covered on visa runs or holidays to neighboring countries. Through; Pacific Prime Insurance (google it) I have a contact in their Hong Kong branch. Happy to help further, as best I can, just pm me.

When I searched locally for cover, and a real person to talk to, it was hopeless getting quality information/advice. My mates are with Bupa; one has the Thai policy, the other international. I felt that the Thai option wasn't enough, and the international was way too expensive. I got lucky with a chance business introduction, which lead me to being looked after with Pacific Prime.

I read Thai Visa regularly, but never registered. I see this topic come up time, and time again, I hope my post adds value.

Cheers