Rights of owners/management in condo building...

if our management want me to force to do something that I do not want to do what is the situation regarding each parties rights?

My girlfriend say they can simply cut electric and water until I follow what they order. I know here we are not in the civilized world and there they couldn't do that.

But can they do this here? Else what can they do to enforce the buildings law ( not any law of the country, of course I follow all the laws of the country of Thailand).

Providing it complies with the Condo Act they have every right to stop you passing through common areas or receiving water and electricity if you break bylaws made by the Committee. They could call the police and have you arrested if you try to cross the common area.

the situation is as follows:

On our floor there are nine units. In only two units are people living in. Us in one apartment and friends in the another one. We both have cats. In another floors people even have dogs ( just of the size of cats).

There is one investor in this building owning about 25 units. Recently we tried to rent an extra unit. But we let this investor know that we don't like the style of her apartments. And there you have it, a day later we received the call from the office that we have to remove our cats. They say someone complained.

None of the other owners of pets in the building received such a call. Of course this stupid investor is in the board and has some power which she used. From our cats there is definitely no smell as we bring out the waste out of the building by ourselves two times a day. Actually in another floors you can smell that they have pets, but no one cares.

Only since this incident with the investor they put the focus on us. So actually it's not about following the rules, it's more an investor acting like a child.

Now we told them if you unlock fire hoses, if you let check and unlock the buildings fire extinguishers which are not checked for five years, if you unlock emergency exits, if you keep close fire protecting doors ( which have to keep away smoke from the floors as well) and so on and so on we bring out the cats.

They don't follow the law of Thailand and and they want me to follow a law of the building which is not enforced against any other pet owners in the house???

They have every right to enforce a no pet rule if the committee authorises it. Of course after you have removed your cats you could complain about the others.

THe hoses are another issue. Of course you can report these to the authorities, with pictures etc if you wish.

Edited by harrry

Locked up fire hoses and extinguishers ? (are you renting ?) Why are you living there at all ?

I think you can object to a Condo Management / Committee decision if you have reasonable grounds: Example: We were told that we had to put a 'Condo sticker' in our car windshield for parking purposes... My Wife and I objected for security reasons, saying we'll display the sticker in the dash of each of our cars when parked at our Condo, but we won't stick it in the windshield.... they tried to insist on us putting the sticker in our window so we just ignored them for being silly. The issue passed.

Perhaps you can tell us where the "civilized world" is? Let's all go live there.

You can go anywhere. Please take as many with you as you can. Bye-bye...

To the other posters: thank you very much for everyone's input. of course complaining about the others having pets would not be of any use to me. Already more useful are the photos I have taken about the violations of Thai law where the management is responsible for.

There was the question why we live here: we have oxygen masks practically under our pillow to be always prepared for if fire/smoke should fore us to flee the scene. And if you have a management being not so strict with the rules can be also an advantage...

Perhaps you can tell us where the "civilized world" is? Let's all go live there.

To the other posters: thank you very much for everyone's input. of course complaining about the others having pets would not be of any use to me. Already more useful are the photos I have taken about the violations of Thai law where the management is responsible for.

There was the question why we live here: we have oxygen masks practically under our pillow to be always prepared for if fire/smoke should fore us to flee the scene. And if you have a management being not so strict with the rules can be also an advantage...

If you cannot obey the laws of the country and do not like it so much it would be less stress for you to leave. Your leaving would be an improvement for Thailand too. PS Do not forget to take your cats.

Locked up fire hoses and extinguishers ? (are you renting ?) Why are you living there at all ?

I think you can object to a Condo Management / Committee decision if you have reasonable grounds: Example: We were told that we had to put a 'Condo sticker' in our car windshield for parking purposes... My Wife and I objected for security reasons, saying we'll display the sticker in the dash of each of our cars when parked at our Condo, but we won't stick it in the windshield.... they tried to insist on us putting the sticker in our window so we just ignored them for being silly. The issue passed.

In my condo we have to stick them in the windscreen, as people pass the stickers to their friends or other relatives to park for free in the parking spaces, the rule being one room one car.

If you cannot obey the laws of the country and do not like it so much it would be less stress for you to leave. Your leaving would be an improvement for Thailand too. PS Do not forget to take your cats.

Show me where I did not obey any law of Thailand... Please. If you make such a statement you should be able to prove it... Or is it a law of the Kingdom of Thailand that cats are not allowed in condos?

One of the rules of my condo is no pets allowed.

And Zappolot - the rules about most things in condos are decided by the management, people have the right to vote for the management committee, but only if you are the legal owner of the condo and not renting, but you rent.

Just ignore them.

If the management cut off your water or power, tell the landlord you will no longer pay his rent.

Then just move somewhere else.

or

get rid of the cats.

Great think about renting, you can move in a minute.

and lose the deposit, and if he causes any unnecessary damages then legal proceedings. Also he and his GF would have to walk around stinking as no water or electricity.

and lose the deposit, and if he causes any unnecessary damages then legal proceedings. Also he and his GF would have to walk around stinking as no water or electricity.

Only the very foolish give more than 1 month deposit.

Don't believe landlord can get damages from tenant for condo management action.

But if you don't leave a forwarding address, how would they find you anyway?

Only the very foolish give more than 1 month deposit.

Don't believe landlord can get damages from tenant for condo management action.

But if you don't leave a forwarding address, how would they find you anyway?

Most condos require 2 months deposit that is the normal rule.

Think your last point is a bit stupid really, if you are a foreigner you must register your address for extensions of stay, 90 days reporting, and many other things like letter from the bank or other things, so not a problem in finding you.

Show me where I did not obey any law of Thailand... Please. If you make such a statement you should be able to prove it... Or is it a law of the Kingdom of Thailand that cats are not allowed in condos?

Yes it is. Under the Condo Act COmmittees are allowed to make and enforce bylaws. Provided they do not breach the Condo Act. As these are bylaws unde the laws of Thailand you do not wish to obey them.

these are not laws of the government. the government gives free hand to these committees but the rules they set are no laws made by the government nor are they in any way controlled by the government

So nothing and no one can put any serious pressure on me if I break rules not made by the government. Especially if no one is disturbed, no one and nothing is damaged.

It seems here some love to make a big fuss out of nothing. Actually this is why I moved away from Europe to escape these kind of people blindly and by switching off their brain wanting to follow any rule, independent if it makes sense or not...

Omg no simpathy from me i hate cats and never want to be within 10 meters of one, much less living to one. this is what condos are for, to be able to rid yourself of all the little crap like cats, and then put up with a whole other load of crap from the committee.

Yes they can legally shut off utilities here quite easily. Potential buyers take note.

In my building the management can turn off the water (which is provided and billed for by them) but not the electricity (which is billed directly by the PEA). They could prevent access to the common areas but I have never heard of them doing so. And of course all this applies as much to tenants as to owners.

I didn't notice it anywhere when I scanned this thread. But if there are other pet owners you could worn them of the threat and organize to change the bylaws to something acceptable. Such as pets limited by type and size allowing acceptable animals that are not an odor or noise issue.

I didn't notice it anywhere when I scanned this thread. But if there are other pet owners you could worn them of the threat and organize to change the bylaws to something acceptable. Such as pets limited by type and size allowing acceptable animals that are not an odor or noise issue.

I would very much doubt that there would be enough pet owners to force the amendment of the regulations. No doubt those pet owners would be reticent to say to much anyway considering they are themselves breaking the regulation of the Condominium. Whilst i can see your point, in reality it would be extremely difficult and subjective to make and enforce a regulation which is based on size, type of pet- it is easier to enforce a complete ban- as most diligent persons would read through the regulations before buying or renting in the property and assess if they are an animal keeper whether they are allowed in the property, so its always going to be a very limited number anyway.

The one overriding thing i have found with people and there pets is that they are always adamant there animal does not piss/shit anyway, does not make any noise, does not smell etc-often how an owner perceives their pet is far different to how others perceive it.

Yes, I understand the issues in my point. The two primary problems with some pets are noise and odor. But think about it. Some condo owners make lots of noise and stink without pets. Durian and som tam? Loud music at 3 AM? In actuality there should be better enforcement of responsible ownership and respect for neighbors rights. If someone can keep a pet without noise or odor I feel that would be fair.

You may be correct however in that it might not be voted on. It would take a pretty good sales pitch to non pet owners ho see nothing in it for them. I just thought that was the only legitimate path that would resolve the issue in the OPs favor.

I would very much doubt that there would be enough pet owners to force the amendment of the regulations. No doubt those pet owners would be reticent to say to much anyway considering they are themselves breaking the regulation of the Condominium. Whilst i can see your point, in reality it would be extremely difficult and subjective to make and enforce a regulation which is based on size, type of pet- it is easier to enforce a complete ban- as most diligent persons would read through the regulations before buying or renting in the property and assess if they are an animal keeper whether they are allowed in the property, so its always going to be a very limited number anyway.

The one overriding thing i have found with people and there pets is that they are always adamant there animal does not piss/shit anyway, does not make any noise, does not smell etc-often how an owner perceives their pet is far different to how others perceive it.

• 5 months later...

Sorry for necromansing this thread..........

I too am a Condo owner and in the past 6 months I've been here, there have been NO meetings of any sort.

Matter of fact, there has been no information as to where and how our maintenance fees are being spent.

We've also had painters come in and out, painting the outside. There has been no notice posted anywhere about this.

We've got both renters and owners here and I'm sure all of us would like to know what is going on around here.

Lastly, Juristic manager is using the complex to rent vehicles as a side business. Is this legal?

Could someone please provide me with any links to our rights within Thailand?

Thank you for your help

Yes they can legally shut off utilities here quite easily. Potential buyers take note.

In my building the management can turn off the water (which is provided and billed for by them) but not the electricity (which is billed directly by the PEA). They could prevent access to the common areas but I have never heard of them doing so. And of course all this applies as much to tenants as to owners.

Yeah, mine too. They shut off water when justified. They can do so totally legally. A condo without water is useless.

If you've got pets in a no pets building, too bad, move or get rid of the pets. Simples.

Edited by Jingthing

Yeah, mine too. They shut off water when justified. They can do so totally legally. A condo without water is useless.

In our condo the management MUST disconnect water supplies to anyone 6 month overdue in payment. If they feel there is some reason to make an exception there must obtain the Committee's approval in advance.

We currently have 1 out of 144 units where 2013 common fee is still outstanding and this unit is empty and for sale. Over 90% of owners received a 15% discount on 2014 common fee by paying before the end of last year.