Sending money from australia to thai girlfriend

Maybe not the best or cheapest but i found it the easiest.

Open a bank account in your name specially for this reason. Get 2 keycards. Send her 1 of the keycards along with the password.

She can withdraw from a Thai ATM.You have control on how much is in the account and she can only withdraw whats in the account.

• Like 1

We probably need a bit more information.

Do you have a Thai Bank Account?

What sort of sums are we considering?

The reason being is that I have a great company that does exchanges, 1 baht spread, but charges a $25 fee, regardless of $1 or $1,000.

The Australian banks do, but their exchange rate is close to highway robbery.

• Like 1

Just to add some we balance....

I started to send some 'support' to my g/f after knowing her 6 months (2009). We're happily married now living together in Australia for nearly 3 years. Used the Aussie atm card method btw. Just don't tell your bank cause they won't like it.

A little care and a lot of trust go a long way, same as any relationship.

• Like 2

Used the Aussie atm card method btw. Just don't tell your bank cause they won't like it.

Humm ... while that might have been convenient.

With the CBA there is an $8 a transaction fee plus ...

Their current spread on the AUD/THB is 26.94 - 31.76 ... that's a 5 baht spread ... a 15-20% Margin.

As above it's convenient ... but hardly efficient.

BTW ... with the fees generated ... they LOVE you to do the currency swaps this way!

Open a bank account in your name specially for this reason. Get 2 keycards. Send her 1 of the keycards along with the password.

She can withdraw from a Thai ATM.You have control on how much is in the account and she can only withdraw whats in the account.

Although that is an excellent suggestion, bank accounts usually require signatures from both parties.

Secondly, and most important, never send any amount that seems unreasonable and always have her provide a valid reason (proof may be required). If she needs something, have her scan an ad and e-mail it to you.

I am reminded of being in a I-Cafe and seeing 6 copies of an identical letter to "MY DARLING" (Sam, Joe, Frank, etc.) asking for money to help a sick Mother...LOL

bank accounts usually require signatures from both parties.

I deliberately avoided making a comment on all the scams and pitfalls of sending money to Thai girlfriends. We can only assume the OP is grownup and knows them already.

As I mentioned in my post it may not be the best or cheapest way. I agree with David48 there are better ways to send money.

I've never had a problem opening a bank account and requesting a 2nd card. The banks don't appear to have a problem with it.

If and when the OP's girlfriend makes a trip to Oz it's easy to attend the bank and get his girlfriend added to the account as an additional cardholder. She'll then have a card in her name attached to that account.

Although that is an excellent suggestion, bank accounts usually require signatures from both parties.

I'll draw you an image ...

377624_user9191589.jpg ------> 377624_user9191589.jpg

. .. .. BB1. .. ....... . . BB2

In BB1 (Bank book 1) he keeps his money ... say 100,000 baht

He gives the keycard to BB2 and PIN to his gf.

As she requests money, he transfers money from BB1 to BB2 ... the gf only has access to the money he transfers.

Definitely get 2 separate bank accounts, not 2 key cards to one account.

No signature required ... she doesn't even need the Bank PassBook

Simples ... laugh.png

Oh, be aware that in some/most accounts there has to be a minimum amount to not incur fees.

I'm with SCB and that amount, from memory is 2,000 Baht.

• Like 1

For a one-off, western union is simple and it works.

Cost $25+

Go do it at an agent. Keep the address really simple, as that will give you grief. Bangkok, suburb, postcode.
Don't tick the 'send to bank account' box, because you're not doing that.

She'll need proof of ID to pick up at bank, but is simple process.

No disrespect to ts but is it just me or am I the only one who do not send girlfriends money...

I do ... but send it directly to the gf's Mother

I'm in their house now.

Eating their food ,,, sleeping at their joint.

I don't give a lot ... just a modest contribution since I asked my gf to stop working in her job of 12 years and come visit me in my country for an extended period

Edited by David48

Used the Aussie atm card method btw. Just don't tell your bank cause they won't like it.

Their current spread on the AUD/THB is  26.94 - 31.76 ... that's a 5 baht spread ... a 15-20% Margin.

BTW ... with the fees generated ... they LOVE you to do the currency swaps this way!

According to the CBA it is against policy to allow someone else to keep and use an ATM card and account belonging to another. That is of course unless you issue a supplementary card. I didnt. I opened a new ATM account and sent the card. Wasn't very expensive to transact. I seem to recall about AU$20 for one withdrawal each month.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Their current spread on the AUD/THB is  26.94 - 31.76 ... that's a 5 baht spread ... a 15-20% Margin.

Not if you use MasterCard or visa debit cards then press the credit button on Thai ATM. No international fees, even though the card was issued by an Australian bank. The exchange rate is MasterCard or visas, not the banks. Its not as bad. Then I've heard I think it's Aeon? ATMs don't charge for using their machines. I'm not certain on this, never used them.

Their current spread on the AUD/THB is 26.94 - 31.76 ... that's a 5 baht spread ... a 15-20% Margin.

Not if you use MasterCard or visa debit cards then press the credit button on Thai ATM. No international fees, even though the card was issued by an Australian bank. The exchange rate is MasterCard or visas, not the banks. Its not as bad. Then I've heard I think it's Aeon? ATMs don't charge for using their machines. I'm not certain on this, never used them.

Don't you pay interest on cash withdrawals from credit cards ?

Don't you pay interest on cash withdrawals from credit cards ?

I'm talking about debit only cards. Using your money, not credit.

I have known my tgf for many years wai.gifwai2.gif ,

and like most of the paranoide guys here on THAIVISA ,

i did not pick her up from some wub.png redlight jaba popping lady bar,wub.png

Will stick to western union for now.

The rest looks cheaper in one way,

but will cost me in another way through some other fee.

Edited by redroo