Retirement Visa Fee?

merjin

"..health clearance in the future for the one year extensions and maybe a criminal clearance for the first time extensions" (your post #12)

constitute rather more than

"..only procedure or paper work changes" (your post #27).

These apparently contradictory comments are all the more reason for all that you've said in this particular thread to be taken with a large pinch of salt IMHO.

Is a possible health or criminal clearance not part of the paperwork same like all the other required papers ?

For me you have the paperwork and the financial side of the extensions etc so i don't see the contradiction.

But i will keep the rest to myself so i don't upset other people.

But dismissing health and criminal checks as mere procedural or paperwork changes is at least a masterly understatement, do you not agree?

I heard that also,here in Pattaya, from a retired CIA agent and confirmed by an old member of the MI5, both are working closely with the Thai Immigration, the changes will be in effect next month, or next year or later, they were however not allowed to give concrete information.

Edited by luckyluke

But dismissing health and criminal checks as mere procedural or paperwork changes is at least a masterly understatement, do you not agree?

I had to get a medical certificate for my driving licence renewal. It cost me 100B and involved no medical examination. I would describe this as paperwork (of the most pointless kind).

A criminal record check is also just paperwork.

I had to get a medical certificate for my driving licence renewal. It cost me 100B and involved no medical examination. I would describe this as paperwork (of the most pointless kind).

If they wanted the criminal record check from your home country and you are here in Thailand it could be a lot more than just paperwork dependent on where you are from. It could well be a long and costly process. For some it could require a trip home to get it.

Even getting one here is not all that easy and can take weeks to get.

Besides last time changers were made those who were already on extensions were "grandfathered" and still were under the old rules and they still are if they kept up their extensions without a break..

If they wanted the criminal record check from your home country and you are here in Thailand it could be a lot more than just paperwork dependent on where you are from. It could well be a long and costly process. For some it could require a trip home to get it.

Getting a UK one seems easy enough.

Getting a UK one seems easy enough.

Maybe true if you're in the UK. But applying for a subject access request from Thailand is bound to take weeks because of the slowness of the snail mail service..

Some people like finding obstacles in life, don't they?

Last time I sent a letter to the UK I got a reply 14 days later, but if I thought that the post was going to take ages I would just be sure to make my request in good time.

One does have several months to plan for an extension, after all.

Per above, fee is 1,900 baht per extension.

Absolutely and do it yourself without any visa agency.

Paperwork is minimal and Immigration at CW very helpful.

Any additional paperwork from photos/photocopies, even bank letter can be found on lower floor.

Last time I sent a letter to the UK I got a reply 14 days later, but if I thought that the post was going to take ages I would just be sure to make my request in good time.

It should be 5 working days or less UK to Thailand..

Thai Post is excellent even in isolated provincial small villages.,

UK Royal Mail crap in comparison.and usually the reason for delays.

Well, my personal experience.

Want a small tip: even the smallest Thai Post in the smallest location usually has someone who can read and speak English, on or off duty.

Ripped off!

Thb 60 in BKK for certificate and no medical examination.

Not if they announce a big change and enforce it immediately. Yes, this has happened before. I know from EXPERIENCE.

It should be 5 working days or less UK to Thailand..

Thai Post is excellent even in isolated provincial small villages.,

UK Royal Mail crap in comparison.and usually the reason for delays.

Well, my personal experience.

Want a small tip: even the smallest Thai Post in the smallest location usually has someone who can read and speak English, on or off duty.

Subject access requests can take up to 40 calendar days from start to finish, even if one is in the UK - see http://www.acro.police.uk/subject_access.aspx

And the postal travelling time to and from Thailand is almost certainly extra.

Completely agree with Bpuumike's comments regarding the merits of Thailand Post and the demerits of their UK counterparts - based on my own experience as well.

Edited by OJAS

Ripped off!

I know people who have paid 300B for the same certificate. I was happy with 100B as there was parking outside the clinic, no queue and I was passing anyway. I do know a cheaper place that is less accessible.

My experience with Thai post is not good. EMS to the states took 8 days for delivery. Tracking showed it to be here until USPS updated tracking when it arrived at JFK in NY.

EMS vs Thai Post, from my findings, EMS costs more than Thai post and once it reaches the USA Mail processing Facility (Usually Miami or JFK) it gets transferred over to regular USPS in the States where the timeliness falls in their hands

I had to get a medical certificate for my driving license renewal. It cost me 100B and involved no medical examination. I would describe this as paperwork (of the most pointless kind).

Ripped off!

By all means share the wealth, the medical certificate I got for my DL was about 550b from Bangkok Christian Hospital where they actually did take blood pressure and show me some colored eye chart, asked me a series of questions etc.

My experience with Thai post is not good. EMS to the states took 8 days for delivery. Tracking showed it to be here until USPS updated tracking when it arrived at JFK in NY.

EMS vs Thai Post, from my findings, EMS costs more than Thai post and once it reaches the USA Mail processing Facility (Usually Miami or JFK) it gets transferred over to regular USPS in the States where the timeliness falls in their hands

Besides Thai post tracking I used USPS tracking which showed it had arrived at JFK before Thai post did. It was delivered overnight by USPS after arrival and I even got proof of delivery from them. It took a week to get to JFK and less than 24 hours to get to Maryland.

The big advantages of EMS verses standard post besides faster delivery is tracking and proof of delivery.

Ripped off!

I know people who have paid 300B for the same certificate. I was happy with 100B as there was parking outside the clinic, no queue and I was passing anyway. I do know a cheaper place that is less accessible.

my experience with medical certificates is that if you can open the door to get in the clinic, you have passed

Ripped off!

I think if you are fit enough to open the door and your hand can reach the cash in your pocket you are able.

Cynical? can't even spell clinical

biggrin.png