Flying Into Thailand On Visa-Exemption, Need Retirement Visa

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where will your RESIDENCE be in Thailand?

At larger Thai immigration offices at least you can do a change of status in Thailand to a single O visa from your 30 day stamp.

That gives you a 90 day stay.

To be qualified for that first step you must show you are FINANCIALLY qualified for the second step, the annual extension based on retirement.

What financial qualification method were you planning on using?

If using the 800K bank account method, the banked money must be seasoned for at least 60 days before your application for the annual extension. You can apply for that extension within 30 (or perhaps 45) days of the end of your 90 day stay.

You don't need a retirement visa. A retirement visa is an O-A visa. They are only available from your home country; never in Thailand.

The other two method options are income method (embassy letter showing at 65K baht monthly income or the combo method, embassy letter plus Thai bank account to at least 800K, no seasoning needed. If using the 800K method the funds do not need to be seasoned fully at the time of application from change of status from 30 day stamp to single O visa but do need to be seasoned at time of application for annual retirement extension.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I'll be staying in Bangkok. Money won't have been in my account for 2 months, so I'll use the income method.

So can I go straight to Immigration and change to a single O visa, or do I need to wait until end of 30 days? And at that point do I have to show letter from embassy showing income? Will I then get a total of 90 days or 90 days on top of the 30 days?

Then 30 days before end of single O when I apply for extension based on retirement, do I have to show the same proof all over again?

Go soon. You've only got 30 days. It used to be they didn't even accept later applications. Why risk that?

Be prepared to prove you are financially qualified for the income method. I THINK that means you must show up with an embassy letter for the application for change of visa status to O, as you are using the income method.

BE CLEAR, if you want to use the 800K method, the money DOES NOT need to be seasoned now! It just needs to be seasoned LATER when you go in for the second step, typically about 30 days before the expiration of your permission to stay on your new 90 day O visa.

I don't actually know if the new O starts on the day of application for change of status or starting at the end of the 30 days. Good question, I'm stumped. But again, DO NOT wait until near the end of your 30 days, go earlier.

Yes, you will need to show the same proof of financial qualification BOTH times. It is two separate applications.

When you go for the retirement extension, I know for sure the annual extension starts beginning after the end of your 90 day O stay, so no downside on applying early, typically one month early.

If you are using the income method, it is THEORETICALLY possible they can do both steps the same day, in other words change to O, plus annual extension of that O. I don't think this is commonly done these days, but I think it used to be. With money seasoning issues and having to wait for the money to season, obviously they couldn't possibly do it the same day. In any case, it is really two applications.

The specific TECHNICAL applications details, like copies of what, photos, etc, is available on this forum by search or perhaps someone will post them.

Edited by Jingthing

As Jingthing says go sooner rather than later.

I believe you need some 20 days remaining on the visa exempt entry for immigration to make the conversion.

I actually don't think they are that strict anymore, but definitely go in sooner than later. This also gives time to address any problems with the application as 30 days isn't a long time,

BTW, if for any reason this time pressure doesn't work for the OP, he can always fly to Malaysia or Laos and get a single entry O visa there just based on being over 50 and intending to apply for a retirement extension in Thailand. Then 30 days out, apply for the extension. So that's probably the worst case. No need for trips back to the west for an O-A visa to make this happen.

Will I then get a total of 90 days or 90 days on top of the 30 days?

The practical results are the same as if you left Thailand, obtained a single entry Non Imm O from abroad, then returned to Thailand -- at which time the visa is stamped "used, " and you get a 90 day permission of stay beginning that day. Same result going to Immigration and obtaining a Non Imm O visa with a Form TM87 -- one time visa is stamped "used" and the 90 day clock begins ticking that same day (i.e., it is NOT attached to the end of your current 30 day permission of stay).

One danger of going the income method is that you may (per many reports this forum) have to get two income statements from the Embassy -- one for the conversion (which they keep) and one once again when you return 60 days hence to obtain your retirement extension. Have seen where two income statements were obtained at the same time (saving a lengthy second trip from up country), and no problems with Immigration using the second income statement for retirement extension, even tho' it was over 60 days old.

Anyway, you'll be in Bangkok -- so no lengthy trip from up country. But the added expense and (possibly) two trips to the embassy would be a pain. Thus, if you can plop 800k in a bank account the day before you go to Immigration for conversion, you'll be spared some bother. Then, 60 days later, return for the retirement extension (only 60 days' aging required, not 90, for this first extension -- established awhile back, with this conversion/extension two-step process in mind).

Edited by JimGant

OP, why don't you get an O Visa before you come here?

That would make it a lot easier.

You wouldn't have to pay 1500 baht twice for the two income letters, and you'd eliminate any possible hassle with an airline not allowing you to board a flight.

OP, why don't you get an O Visa before you come here?

He doesn't say what country he's in, but if the US, the official consulates won't issue O visas for retirement (just O-A visas), and many of the honorary consulates won't either (I know Houston wouldn't). Portland will -- but the recent change in no longer allowing honorary consulates to issue visas by mail means you'll have to physically go to Portland to apply (and maybe Portland's had its knuckles wrapped about issuing these, even in person, what with this latest crackdown on the honoraries).

Great Britain is now in the same pickle as well.

• Like 1

Another issue -- if flying in without a visa or air ticket OUT of Thailand within 30 days there is an excellent change of not being boarded to Thailand in the first place. Getting at least a TOURIST visa would solve that concern. I agree getting a single O outside of the region for purposes of retirement extension in Thailand could prove not possible.

If the OP has time and inclination, considering an application for an O-A "retirement" visa (multi) in his home country might be worthwhile. That gives the benefit of stretching to about a two year stay before having to make any application to Thai immigration. Police and medical form needed for that.

Edited by Jingthing

If you have the 800k already in your Thai bank account, but not yet for two months, on the date when you apply at the immigration office for the change to non-O visa I believe they will still do the change of visa based on 800k, ie you need not to it based on income. You will, of course have to keep the balance in your account at or over 800k for the entire time until some athree months later you apply for the one-year retirement extension.

Per above, for a conversion the money in the bank does not have to be seasoned. After 60 to 90 day you return to immigration for the 1 year extension and then the money must have been seasoned.

If it is seasoned at time of conversion they might do the conversion and give the 1 year extension in one go.

If using money in the bank for conversion in Bangkok they will want document from bank confirming funds were transfered into the country from abroad along with letter confiirming balance.

Only balance letter will be needed when you do the extension.

This is starting to sound overly complicated. I'm British and haven't been back there for years, so can't apply from there. I'm in USA at the moment and don't have time to get any visas here. I'll then be flying to Bali, and then Bangkok. Could I get a visa in Bali or Jakarta?

From what I've read it's ok to fly into Bangkok without a visa or a ticket out. Isn't this what people who do border runs do all the time? And many people fly into Bangkok and then travel by land to Laos, Cambodia, etc. I haven't heard of them having problems.

It's no problem to go to Immigration as soon as I arrive in Bangkok, but I was just wondering if this was ok.

I already have half the money in my Thai bank account and can easily add the other half, but is it easy to get a letter from the bank saying that the money came from abroad? I've never heard of this being asked for. I usually just do an electronic transfer from my UK account.

What form do I need to the conversion to O visa?

There is a honorary thai consulate in Bali where you could easily get your non-o visa.

Edit: Consulate contact info here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/570981-Updated-Contact-:-Royal-Thai-Consulate,-Denpasar---Bali#entry5498154

You can send PM to OP of topic for info also because he works there.

Edited by ubonjoe

If using money in the bank for conversion in Bangkok they will want document from bank confirming funds were transfered into the country from abroad

Not so sure that's true....Somebody that follows this more closely than I needs to comment.

TM87

If using money in the bank for conversion in Bangkok they will want document from bank confirming funds were transfered into the country from abroad

Not so sure that's true....Somebody that follows this more closely than I needs to comment.

There have been reports of Bangkok immigration wanting it for converting to non immigrant visa.

Better to have it than not having it and needing an extra trip to immigration.

Not needed for extensions ever.

TM87

Yes if it's easy to get a single O in Indonesia, that sounds good to me too.

Boarding rules in the U.S. are probably different to Indonesia than to Thailand.

Best to check with an Indonesian forum for that.

For traveling from the U.S. to Thailand without a visa and without an air ticket out within 30 days, you will generally be challenged about your right to board the plane at all.

Traveling to Thailand from the U.S., the U.K. or Australia, etc. is not the same thing as traveling to Thailand from Malaysia ...

As far as thing being too complicated, well, with visas there are often multiple possible options, so to consider them all to choose the best option for any individual, can sometimes be complicated.

Edited by Jingthing

ok, I'll try to get an O visa in Bali, as that sounds the easiest option. If I can't get it for some reason I'll convert to O visa when I arrive in Bangkok. Sounds a little more straightforward now, apart from the thing about having a letter from the bank to show funds came from outside Thailand. This is the sort of thing that's likely to confuse someone at the bank.

ok, I'll try to get an O visa in Bali, as that sounds the easiest option. If I can't get it for some reason I'll convert to O visa when I arrive in Bangkok. Sounds a little more straightforward now, apart from the thing about having a letter from the bank to show funds came from outside Thailand. This is the sort of thing that's likely to confuse someone at the bank.

But, if you're going to use the income method (as you stated in post #3), why not trot round to the Embassy and obtain a confirmation letter from them instead? Click on https://www.gov.uk/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand for further info (under the heading "Consular letter confirming pension/income for Thai Immigration").

A bank letter would only be admissible in Immigration's eyes if at least 800,000 THB had been seasoned in full over the previous 2 months (which, according to your post at #3, isn't the case)..

In any event, I'm not sure whether any sort of financial (bank or Embassy) letter would be required for an initial O visa conversion (as opposed to a subsequent extension of stay application). No doubt those more in the know than I am on this point will clarify.

Edited by OJAS

But, if you're going to use the income method (as you stated in post #3), why not trot round to the Embassy and obtain a confirmation letter from them instead? Click on https://www.gov.uk/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand for further info (under the heading "Consular letter confirming pension/income for Thai Immigration").

A bank letter would only be admissible in Immigration's eyes if at least 800,000 THB had been seasoned in full over the previous 2 months (which, according to your post at #3, isn't the case)..

In any event, I'm not sure whether any sort of financial (bank or Embassy) letter would be required for an initial O visa conversion (as opposed to a subsequent extension of stay application). No doubt those more in the know than I am on this point will clarify.

It depends what proof I need to show in Bali. I obviously can't show bank letter, so it would have to be proof of income, but that depends on if there's a British Embassy in Bali. So I need to do a bit more research first.

And there is no seasoning required for conversion/obtaining non immigrant O visa in Thailand - just that the 800k is in the account - you then have a new 90 day period to get it seasoned 60 days before you apply for the retirement extension of stay.

You won't need anything in Bali other than your passport (plus copy) and of course money to pay the fee since you are only getting a single entry non-o visa.

This sounds like the easier option. Will I get 30 days or 90 days? 90 days would be best, as I'll have time to season my bank account. But if it's 30 days I can use the income method instead.