Think twice before buying a HTC phone is Thailand

Nickymaster

I bought a new HTC One phone (in Bangkok) early July for my daughter. A week later we went on a European trip. Two weeks into the trip the phone broke down (no more screen). When we came back to Thailand, early August, I went to the technical department in fortune tower to have it fixed. The guy receiving my phone told us that we would lose all data that was in the phone. That means hundreds of holiday pictures will be lost.. We asked him that since it was (most probably) the screen that was broken if they could save the data. Answer: cannot!

Now two weeks later I called the tel number the guy gave me to check the status of my phone. When I dialed the number i could choose between Thai and English. I chose option 2, English. To my surprise I still had a person on the other side who could only speak Thai... I asked my office staff to talk to her and she said that we had to contact the technical department for more info. She was only the service center.. All she could tell us is was that the phone was still under repair and she doesn't know when it would be fixed "Waiting for spare parts from overseas". We asked the number from the technical department and she kindly gave it. We have tried to call the technical department many times and nobody ever answered. We also checked the online Thai community and many have the same problem. Their phone is under repair but they have no idea when they will get it back. They also tried to call the same number (for the technical department) but nobody ever answered. Now I have to waste another day traveling to fortune tower to beg for an update but I am already worried that I will be send back without any concrete info.

Please spare yourself the hassle and buy another brand. You don't want to be in this situation; begging to get your own brand new phone back.

The main lesson here is to always copy your important data to the external SD device (memory chip) at regular intervals. And incase the phone is physically lost or stolen, take that chip out of the phone and keep in a safe place.

Or copy data to an external computer/notebook.

As regards HTC I nave no comments, but Samsung has provided me good service before on a number of occasions.

You might have been unlucky with your HTC One, because it did break down so fast. I have mine for long time now and never an issue with it.

With regards to loosing your pics - sorry mate, but your own problem and not related to HTC or any other smartphone. You have two options:

- enable dropbox or any other automatic backup of the content into your private internet cloud

- use HTC sync manager to backup all content to your computer

NOT doing backup is stupid and if your phone breaks for whatever reason, don't blame the phone for that situation

• Like 2

The main lesson here is to always copy your important data to the external SD device (memory chip) at regular intervals. And incase the phone is physically lost or stolen, take that chip out of the phone and keep in a safe place.

better take the SD chip out of the phone BEFORE it is stolen tongue.pngwhistling.gif

You might have been unlucky with your HTC One, because it did break down so fast. I have mine for long time now and never an issue with it.

With regards to loosing your pics - sorry mate, but your own problem and not related to HTC or any other smartphone. You have two options:

- enable dropbox or any other automatic backup of the content into your private internet cloud

NOT doing backup is stupid and if your phone breaks for whatever reason, don't blame the phone for that situation

We had the phone 1 week and one week later during our European trip it broke down. We do normally back-up our stuff but who expects a phone to breakdown after 2 weeks..

The problem is not related to HTC but they didn't do much effort to recover the data too. It's not my fault it broke down. We didn't drop it or anything..

• Like 1

The loss of data is not the main issue. The main issue is that it's a nightmare to get some reliable info from HTC. I am not posting this to get into arguments but I just wanted to warn you guys about the poor service support.

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

I feel your pain, but my HTC One V has been working great. All my data is automatically put on a SD card. I dont know why your pics etc were not auto backed up as they come standard on the device.

Unfortunately in Bangkok I find just about every companies customer service to be s**t.

Indeed. While in Thailand one should shoot for Samsung since they have good service for that. Brands like HTC etc..are not a good choice here.

Even if someone chooses that thai status symbol with a fruit logo on it its still easy to run into problems when it comes to repair.

Not to mention that there is a bite in the fruit which makes it undesirable.

Sent from one of my devices using the internet

I bought an HTC Desire S 3 years ago in Bangkok. Only went on the blink once around 9 months ago when I couldn't hear sound unless I used Blueooth or headphones.

Went to the HTC repair centre in Fortune.

2 days later, the phone was returned in perfect working order.

It's since been succeeded by the magnificent HTC One but I still use it now as a second phone

We had the phone 1 week and one week later during our European trip it broke down. We do normally back-up our stuff but who expects a phone to breakdown after 2 weeks..

The problem is not related to HTC but they didn't do much effort to recover the data too. It's not my fault it broke down. We didn't drop it or anything..

As a matter of interest Nicky, did you try to recover your data before bringing it back to the shop? I realize you didn't have screens, but sometimes the rest of the phone is accessible.

• Like 1

As a matter of interest Nicky, did you try to recover your data before bringing it back to the shop? I realize you didn't have screens, but sometimes the rest of the phone is accessible.

Well, we tried but the phone had a (screen) lock (on) and in order to access the data (plugged to a comp) we had to unlock it, which we couldn't. So unfortunately the phone was not accessible.

my non-htc phone writes images directly to sdcard. had to manually configure this somewhere long ago. my opera-mini browser similarly configured. hopefully when my phone dies a lot of my stuff will be accessible from the sdcard. will just swap the sdcard into the new phone. fingers crossed. still also back-up my sdcard to netbook and then to external HD when i think about it.

Edited by that geeza

The problem is not with HTC............The problem is with Thailand!!......Any problem?...The answer is.........."CANNOT"....."NOT HAVE"......"NEED TO SEND BANGKOK"....... "BLANK STARE".......Don't buy in Thailand, and if you do buy, then don't expect any after sales service......

• Like 1

The problem is most certainly with HTC. I had similar lousy experiences with a Desire and will never buy HTC again. They grew faster than their capabilities all over the world. Just look at the recent management defections and you see rats leaving a sinking ship. Even DrDre wants to sever the relationship with HTC.

I have had excellent service from Sony, Samsung and Canon in Thailand. So get your negative attitude out of the way and look at the facts. HTC give no service and have a disfunctional management at all levels. So I agree totally with the OP.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hi all.

Great info by all. I have an HTC also.

I'm not what you would call even close to computer lierate though I must admit.

Two questions, first how do I ensure all my contacts, phone numbers and pictures are being backed up to my sim/sd card? And second, how do I back them up on my pc. All help greatly appreciated. I must admit I've dropped the darn thing a dozen times in two yrs and like a ten dollar Timex watch. It has kept in ticking.

Thanks

Yesterday one of my Thai friends went to the technical department at fortune tower and the people there told him that they had huge problems with the HTC One model. Many phones are under repair.

The office at fortune tower did not repair the phones and we had to contact the fixing place. They have outsourced the fixing to Loxley Company. We tried to call Loxley and there we got a (recorded) message that if we required info on the status of HTC repairs we had to call the service center.

Now the circle is round. The service center told us to call their technical department (where nobody answered the phone). The technical department told us to call Loxley and Loxley told us to contact the service center.

Will keep you guys posted but something is very wrong here. Checking the Thai online community again this morning we found out that many Thai people have been waiting for months already..

Edited by Nickymaster

Should add my phone is roughly two yrs old and an HTC BEATS AUDIO model.

Thanks again

Is it an Android or Windows phone? If Android go to the Google Play store and download a free app for what you want. I use MyPhoneExplorer that syncs and backs up with my desktop PC (that uses Windows and Office contacts).

NickyMaster, feel bad for you.

I have read the breakdown of HTC One - http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/htc-one-almost-impossible-to-repair .

So I think the problem is not in Thailand, and not even entirely in HTC, but rather in the specific model HTC One. It seems a special machine is required and the repair process is overly time consuming.

My only suggestion would be is to threaten them with legal action. As I understand the phone broke by itself and is under warranty. Therefore it's their responsibility to fix it. I'm not sure about the 'fine script', does it state the maximum time of repair process?

Actually suing them might or might not be a good idea, however I think it will definitely help other users. If some people will sue them, they are likely to tackle the issue by outsourcing more people to fix their phones.

NickyMaster, feel bad for you.

I have read the breakdown of HTC One - http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/htc-one-almost-impossible-to-repair .

So I think the problem is not in Thailand, and not even entirely in HTC, but rather in the specific model HTC One. It seems a special machine is required and the repair process is overly time consuming.

My only suggestion would be is to threaten them with legal action. As I understand the phone broke by itself and is under warranty. Therefore it's their responsibility to fix it. I'm not sure about the 'fine script', does it state the maximum time of repair process?

Actually suing them might or might not be a good idea, however I think it will definitely help other users. If some people will sue them, they are likely to tackle the issue by outsourcing more people to fix their phones.

Thanks blackion. As you might have read, we had the phone for 2 weeks before it broke down. Phone has been in repair for two weeks and yesterday we were told that they need at least 2 more weeks to repair it. So best case it will take a month, worst case...who knows... The screen is broken and as your article stated, very difficult to repair. I am going to ask for a new phone or money back. Which is the only fair and correct option in my opinion. I have also investigated other ways to deal with HTC. One option is to involve a government agency that is responsible for consumer protection. Being in Thailand, this is no guarantee for success. Another option is as you stated, suing them or at least get a lawyer to write them a serious letter for a start. I know that this is going to cost me some money but at this stage I don't really care, I am just very disipointed with their service. A decent company should have offered to replace the product.

My daughter went back to school last week and now she doesn't have her phone. Really annoying. (Should have listened to my wife. She told me to buy an Iphone...)

Edited by Nickymaster

Instead of wasting money and time with suing people, wouldn't it be easier just to by another phone and when the HTC phone is returned repaired either sell it or pass it onto someone you don't care for much? A lot less stress in the end.

+1

Smart phones are complicated machines so some will fail.

My IQ4's screen froze up the other day and I was right at the I-Mobile store when it happened where I wanted to buy a leather porch for it (no have).

I showed the phone to the young lady in the shop and she told me that she could send it to Bangkok and get it back 4 weeks later, hmm.

As I didn't have a porch for it so I normally put it in my back pocket when wearing jeans which is not so good when driving car/bike as you sit on the phone.

I then took the battery out of the phone and put it back in again and it had been working since and I also went straight to Tuk.Com and found a fairly descent porch for it.

The morale of the story is: Phone service is <deleted> in Thailand, my old Samsung Note1 failed after app 1.5 years use and at the Samsung service center they quoted big money for a new mother board which I rejected.

A shop again in Tuk.Com repaired for phone for 800 baht (the Note1) but it lasted 4-5 days and it was fxxxx again, sold it for 4000 baht cash and bought the IQ4.

Writing a serious letter will cost you and so it's the second step. The first step is to simply threaten them will legal action, see if it will work.

>I am going to ask for a new phone or money back. Which is the only fair and correct option in my >opinion.

I think you underdemand. You have to demand immediate issuance of a new HTC ONE because your phone stopped working just within two weeks and their repair service is seriously under-facilitated. AND let the technicians to open the broken one and to transfer you the photos. I see no reason why you should lose the photos, since its the display that stopped working and not the memory.

At the same time, maybe to read / post at some technical forum (wonder if there is a forum dedicated to HTC ONE) and to post the question of how to gain access via Bluetooth/USB to the HTC ONE in your situation.

On the broader view, initiating a legal action is a good idea, as it will not only benefit yourself, but will teach HTC a lesson that will result in their more responsible approach to customers particularly in Thailand. Probably to get a compensation for the ordeal and lose of photos.

As you have posted, on Thai forums there are many HTC ONE customers that experience the same situation, if the interested ones would join into one group and hire a lawyer..

(And you may also complain to

Complaint Unit, TCP
The Telecommunication Consumer Protection , TCP at their e-mail:
I'm not sure if they are dealing with providers or the manufacturers as well. Once I complained regarding AIS that refused to refund me money for some issue and the result was that AIS refunded me even more than I was asking. I think though legal action is the best way, as it will most probably benefit yourself and other people.)

Writing a serious letter will cost you and so it's the second step. The first step is to simply threaten them will legal action, see if it will work.

>I am going to ask for a new phone or money back. Which is the only fair and correct option in my >opinion.

I think you underdemand. You have to demand immediate issuance of a new HTC ONE because your phone stopped working just within two weeks and their repair service is seriously under-facilitated. AND let the technicians to open the broken one and to transfer you the photos. I see no reason why you should lose the photos, since its the display that stopped working and not the memory.

At the same time, maybe to read / post at some technical forum (wonder if there is a forum dedicated to HTC ONE) and to post the question of how to gain access via Bluetooth/USB to the HTC ONE in your situation.

On the broader view, initiating a legal action is a good idea, as it will not only benefit yourself, but will teach HTC a lesson that will result in their more responsible approach to customers particularly in Thailand. Probably to get a compensation for the ordeal and lose of photos.

As you have posted, on Thai forums there are many HTC ONE customers that experience the same situation, if the interested ones would join into one group and hire a lawyer..

(And you may also complain to

Complaint Unit, TCP
The Telecommunication Consumer Protection , TCP at their e-mail:
I'm not sure if they are dealing with providers or the manufacturers as well. Once I complained regarding AIS that refused to refund me money for some issue and the result was that AIS refunded me even more than I was asking. I think though legal action is the best way, as it will most probably benefit yourself and other people.)

Thanks for the advise. Last time we have been told by HTC that the phone would be ready on Wednesday September 4. Exactly 4 weeks from the date I brought it to them. I will have someone call them tomorrow and tell them if my tel is not fixed by that date I want to have a new one or money back. Will also tell them that I will not accept the phone at a later date and will start with informing the TCP or any other body that could put pressure on them.

Complaining to TCP can be done concurrent to waiting.

I'm amused a bit that you are so tolerant :). It seems you given up on photos too. But my inner feeling tells me you will get back your phone repaired before or on the day they have promised and your photos will be safe. However, do inform them that there is a content and if possible they won't perform a system reinitialization that would remove those dear photos from your trip.

Complaining to TCP can be done concurrent to waiting.

I'm amused a bit that you are so tolerant smile.png. It seems you given up on photos too. But my inner feeling tells me you will get back your phone repaired before or on the day they have promised and your photos will be safe. However, do inform them that there is a content and if possible they won't perform a system reinitialization that would remove those dear photos from your trip.

Don't get me wrong, I am not tolerant at all just a bit restricted in my actions since I have to rely on others to chase for me since I am not Thai and the people at HTC always play dumb when I try to talk to them in English.

My office staff just called the call center and told them that they have to give back the phone next week (as earlier promised). They said that because there was a long waiting cue, they could not promise that.... We asked their address to file complaints (send a letter) and they told us they were not allowed to say where their office is. If we wanted to complain we had to do it by e-mail.

After a long argument, the lady promised to give us an update later today.

If they call back and give us a later date than next week, we will not accept the phone anymore. We are going to make that very clear.

Will keep you posted.