Homeless Foreigners in Chiang Mai?

NancyL

Currently a thread is running on Thai Visa's Thailand News forum about the problem of homeless foreigners in Thailand:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/661737-homeless-foreigners-in-thailand-lack-assistance/

In the article, the secretary-general of a Thai foundation claims "There are believed to be up to 30 homeless foreigners in Chiang Mai" Maybe I should get out more, but I just don't see homeless foreigners here, the way you do in Bangkok.

Is anyone aware of any homeless foreigners -- where do they hang out -- why are they homeless, etc? Any actual sightings?

Edited by NancyL

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a very offesive Bangladeshi homeless guy. He hangs out around Spicey. The first time i met him was in the Saturday walking street. He was begging, he asked me for money to which i just gave a polite smile and walked past. With this he shouts "<deleted> you" Then he told me what to suck... angry.png I asked him where he was from, then laughed and walked away as calmly as i could.

The second time i saw him he was fishing in the moat near at Thapea. I told a passing policeman, who told him to stop and confiscated his line and beer.

Obviously he didn't check his visa status.

Edited by Paangjang

I had mentioned this thread to my GF, and she said that in all her time in CM she hadnt seen any homeless foreigners/westerners in or around the city. I wonder where they get their information from?

Like was said.... just a filler to close up empty space in a newspaper

I had mentioned this thread to my GF, and she said that in all her time in CM she hadnt seen any homeless foreigners/westerners in or around the city. I wonder where they get their information from?

Like was said.... just a filler to close up empty space in a newspaper

If true, you would absolutely notice. If someone has money for clothes and be generally presentable enough to walk around malls, then they'd ALSO have enough money for a basic room. (While they might still be poor by any definition, they wouldn't technically be homeless.)

I mean, how many malls are there in Chiang Mai. Three now, one of which not easily reachable by people with no means. So that's two. Honestly, you'd notice.

Anyway.. The Nation peddling rubbish; News at 11.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

There are a number of people, who were homeless in the States, and have become backpackers in SE Asia on their SSI checks.

Foreigners who are backpackers, never staying in one place for very long, wouldn't be the sort of "homeless" people described in that Nation article. They were talking about people living on the street, begging handouts, sleeping on the sidewalk, etc. Not someone who stayed in a cheap guesthouse until the tourist visa ran out and then moved on to another country.

• Like 2

There's a guy aged around 55 who for many years has walked around the Tha Pae Gate area wearing football shorts and a grubby t-shirt usually carrying a plastic bag with a toilet roll and cans of chang. I think he's Italian and according to pub talk his Thai missus cleaned him out and now he's homeless and a little mad.

Edited by Loaded

I've been here over 20 years and only remember one homeless Westerner during that time that stood out. He was a well known alcoholic who had a decent job overseas at one time. He used to sleep on the floor of a few different bars and would sweep their floors and such in return for a place to stay. He had overstayed his visa by many, many years. If I remember correctly, he ended up in the hospital a few years ago and a bunch of expats got together and paid immigration, so that he was in the clear. I am not sure what happened to him, but have a feeling that he passed on a few years later.

There was another guy, a very rude German with a long beard, that sat on the benches at Thapae Gate most of the time for a few years. The rumor was that he was homeless, but it turned out that he was from a very wealthy family and had plenty of pocket money. He eventually went home.

Seen a real dirty Dutch or German guy sitting on the moat benches near JP, doing large beers. He looked like he hadn't bathed in a few weeks. At least his beers were cold and he didn't get rude service.

cheesy.gif Had a bad experience?

There's a guy aged around 55 who for many years has walked around the Tha Pae Gate area wearing football shorts and a grubby t-shirt usually carrying a plastic bag with a toilet roll and cans of chang. I think he's Italian and according to pub talk his Thai missus cleaned him out and now he's homeless and a little mad.

I think that he is another fake homeless guy who has gone home. He bought Italian books pretty often and looked at them almost every day. He did not seem to have a problem with money. He was a little strange, but he could talk fairly normally and in English, which surprised me. He sure did look homeless though.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Wow, maybe I notice these things more than others. Although I can't say I have seen anywhere close to 30, I have seen at least 6 or 7 homeless Westerners over the last 2 years or so here in C.M. There is a blondish guy that can't be more than 40ish who hangs out by Chiang Mai gate (and sleeps in the bushes near the food stalls). He is filthy. He has been hanging out there for at least 6 months. There is another guy who lives in Suan Baak Hat and has so for at least a year. I'm pretty sure he is an American.

re

I think that he is another fake homeless guy who has gone home.

i think your right coz ive not seen him for at least 6 months

and loadeds right coz he was already doing 30 day visa runs to mai sai on rays

aussie cafe bus when i arrived for three

months in april 05

dave2

post-42592-0-47602600-1377003502_thumb.j

Months ago I met an alcoholic Brit? who begged for food and beer or any alcohol as he was an alcoholic. He had no money, and covered in insect bites from sleeping outside under tables. Asked my Thai friends who played at Zoes why they continued to give him $ knowing they're just putting him in a grave. They say he sings well and it's his own damn choice, couldn't disagree with that.

re

I think that he is another fake homeless guy who has gone home.

i think your right coz ive not seen him for at least 6 months

and loadeds right coz he was already doing 30 day visa runs to mai sai on rays

aussie cafe bus when i arrived for three

months in april 05

dave2

Seen him around too but not lately, usually looking through the trash and collecting cans, plastic, etc.

I think the charity confused homeless westerners with unwashed backpackers cheesy.gif

That's quite possible. Last week, the underage prostitutes they "rescued," turned out to be 38 yo grandmothers from Phitsanalouk looking for some 7-11 stamps. Maybe it was the Mickey Mouse t-shirts, but you really gotta look at the whole picture with these NGOs.

• Like 1

I've been here over 20 years and only remember one homeless Westerner during that time that stood out. He was a well known alcoholic who had a decent job overseas at one time. He used to sleep on the floor of a few different bars and would sweep their floors and such in return for a place to stay. He had overstayed his visa by many, many years. If I remember correctly, he ended up in the hospital a few years ago and a bunch of expats got together and paid immigration, so that he was in the clear. I am not sure what happened to him, but have a feeling that he passed on a few years later.

There was another guy, a very rude German with a long beard, that sat on the benches at Thapae Gate most of the time for a few years. The rumor was that he was homeless, but it turned out that he was from a very wealthy family and had plenty of pocket money. He eventually went home.

Abe died in Mckean a few years ago and you are correct in your recollection.

A lot of credit goes to David Hardcastle for being the human that he is and organising Abes "safekeeping" for a few years.

I thought the German was arrested on overstay and deported, but I could be wrong.

Turned in i think.

Forthright, but not rude in my opinion.

A big fan of F1 i think.

All those years ago..............

• Like 1

There are a number of people, who were homeless in the States, and have become backpackers in SE Asia on their SSI checks.

Foreigners who are backpackers, never staying in one place for very long, wouldn't be the sort of "homeless" people described in that Nation article. They were talking about people living on the street, begging handouts, sleeping on the sidewalk, etc. Not someone who stayed in a cheap guesthouse until the tourist visa ran out and then moved on to another country

I don't think there are many back packers old enough to get a SSI check I think the earliest they can draw them is at age 62. At least in Canada and the States. Can't speak for other nationalities.

I have seen two or three Thais passed out on the street in broad day light. I think they were just drunk sleeping it off. For sure where they were sleeping would never be allowed on a regular basis. Now very often I see the BIB standing there where one was sleeping on the corner just off the Narawat bridge the South West corner one there is a few steps on the corner up to a statue where he was sleeping.

Edited by hellodolly

I don't think there are many back packers old enough to get a SSI check I think the earliest they can draw them is at age 62.

They can get Social Security at any age after becoming adults, if they are diagnosed as mentally ill.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Live here over a decade now, never seen one.

And yes I go out everyday.

Go where? One could be where you were two minutes previous and you wouldn't have known. You could be here a 100 years and be none the wiser. Unless you have webcams on 24-7 in all areas, how would you be?

Live here over a decade now, never seen one.

And yes I go out everyday.

Go where? One could be where you were two minutes previous and you wouldn't have known. You could be here a 100 years and be none the wiser. Unless you have webcams on 24-7 in all areas, how would you be?

Actually you wouldn't be homeless in CM if you were living on SSI. Even the lowest amount would provide basic lodging, food, etc in CM. If you were on disability SSI you can't collect if you are outside the USA.

I DO see homeless people but they are Burmese, or of other SE asian countries. They are here looking for a job, any job.

I know several people here living on SSI payments. I thought you could collect SSI if you're living in Thailand, just as retired people can collect their Social Security pension checks (and receive the standard cost-of-living-increases) even when living in Thailand.

What wouldn't be available here are the health care benefits that come with SSI (basically medicare, but for younger people on SSI), just as medicare isn't available here for Social Security retirees.