What is it with Thais and wrong numbers?

blackman

why is that when i get a Thai call me and its a wrong number, why do they just gasp when i speak or say farang! and then put the phone down

also when i get a missed call and i call them back and its a Thai responder they deny ever making the call that i am returning

sometimes claiming its me who has wrongly dialed their number!

why not just say , ''wrong number'' in English or Thai or is it too much to expect to think they might admit making an error

answers on the back of a postcard please

allow 28 days for delivery

• Like 1

My ex's mother used to dial the daughter's mobile number and start the conversation with a demanding "WHO IS THAT?" w00t.gif

Kind of pre-emptive strike against the possibility of it being a wrong number even though it was an automatically dialled call-back,,,,, blink.png

Edited by jpinx

Especially when you tell them it's the wrong number and they then call you again 3 or 4 times over the next 5 minutes laugh.png

Yep, my mrs answered my phone a few days ago 5 times rolleyes.gif , they tried to tell her ''our/my'' number was wrong rolleyes.gif .............cheesy.gif

In the end she politely told them to FO. cheesy.gif

PS. Nobody phones me, well rarely, so my mrs thinks it's a bird w00t.gif if it rings , so l always give her my phone to answer. laugh.png

Edited by transam
  • Like 2

Especially when you tell them it's the wrong number and they then call you again 3 or 4 times over the next 5 minutes laugh.png

yea that's weird, has happened to me a few times.

I've found the best way to make it stop is to play some Speedcore biggrin.png

Edited by MilesofSmiles

simple answer....thais dont make mistakes, only falangs do...thats why falang land is so backward and primitive compared to thailand

Oh dear, this is a light hearted thread, is there really any need for that post?

Edited by darrendsd

Maybe they don't talk to you when they figure out you are a farang because they can't speak English and are shy?

Also why would you intentionally try to waste a Thai's money or phone credit? That is just sick.

Edited by Gone

Maybe they don't talk to you when they figure out you are a farang because they can't speak English and are shy?

Also why would you intentionally try to waste a Thai's money or phone credit? That is just sick.

they called me, i lost my time, they lost their money

• Like 2

they called me, i lost my time, they lost their money

I bet you're a barrel of laughs on a night out

• Like 1

simple answer....thais dont make mistakes, only falangs do...thats why falang land is so backward and primitive compared to thailand

Oh dear, this is a light hearted thread, is there really any need for that post?

i think you missed the irony of Paddys comment Skippy

• Like 1

A lot of Thais feel a little intimidated with an English speaker. If the phone caller didnt' speak English and had not much interaction with foregners, I would say that no disrespect intended and probably didnt know how to say sorry or wrong number

• Like 2

I had some woman wanting to kill me because I kept answering when she dialled the wrong number. She was convinced I was up to no good somehow because she was dialling the right number but some bloody farang kept answering instead of her female friend.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

It does seem seem to happen a lot in Thailand. Is it due to careless dialling or perhaps a technical reason due to inferior equipment. I am not a communications engineer but perhaps someone with more knowledge in this particular area may be able to confirm or not.

Back when all the numbers changed and 8 was added - I called up my friend...

Me: "Hey...Tdim, whatsup?... Beers tonight, meet at 9pm ?"

Answer: "Sure, where?"

Me: "No biggie, wherever - anywhere on your mind?"

Answer: "No, You ?"

Me: "Ok, usual place"

Answer: "OK, Where is that ?"

Me: "Haha... You forgot our usual hangout?"

Answer: "I guess So"

Me: "Is this Dtim ?"

Answer: "Sure it is, so where are we meeting"

Me: "are you sure you are Dtim, Who am I ?"

Answer: "I am Dtim, sure!"

Me: "Are you one of Dtims work mates and have picked up his phone?"

Answer: "No, this is Dtim" (but by then I realised it certainly wasn't !

Me: "I'm sorry, I have the wrong number" and hangup...

I call back half an hour later and have pretty much the same conversation...

The guy on the other end was laughing and playing along as Dtim (In English !!)... Quite the sense of humour, when I realised what I had done by dialling 018xxxxxx instead of 081xxxxxx I told the guy on the other end, we both found it funny, I apologised again and hung up...

So.. I have been that person who's dialled the wrong number, insisted I was right and then followed up with the same wrong number and insisted I was right again... To top if off, the guy on the other end had a sharp sense of humour ...