Crackdown on drugs: BMA to make Bangkok 'drug free' within 15 month

webfact

BMA to be made 'drug free' capital within 15 months

BANGKOK, 22 AUG 2013 (NNT) – The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration will crack down on drugs in its 50 districts particularly in residential and central business areas, aiming to build a drug-free metropolis within 15 months.

The pledge was made at a seminar by BMA Governor M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra. At the seminar, the governor unveiled his ambitious campaign, 'Bangkok Clear', to eradicate drugs and improve safety in the capital.

The campaign will raise public awareness regarding social threats arising from narcotic spread. It attempts to create a community’s unity in fighting narcotics with an objective of establishing a drug free society.

The BMA Governor said that the BMA gives much importance to solving narcotic issues in the city, underlining its policies to build a safe capital for all.

He also explained that both residential and central business districts are the areas that are most affected by drugs, thus the city will place the emphasis on drug cleaning those areas first.

According to the statistics, the nation had treated 13,565 drugs addicts during 2010 - 2012. More shockingly, the number of patients rose to more than 31,000 cases last year.

In the first nine months of this fiscal year, about 16,400 addicts showed up for treatment and rehabilitation.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-08-22 footer_n.gif

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are these people so obsessed with making such outlandish, impossible to keep 'promises'?

Not a week goes by without some kind of major drug bust - from many parts of the country - hitting the news.

And yet, the drugs keep on coming, and coming and coming...

Why and how?

Yeah, yeah, I know...

Oh come on, it's an improvement on Chalerm........he would have said 3 months.

It's announcements like this that show the country up. For how many years did they pretend there was no aids in Thailand?. Denial followed by a pathetic response. It took them 7 years to actually put an aids prevention strategy together. To be fair, once they did it they did it quite well. Too late for hundreds of thousands though.

Thailand is capable of facing up to problems, but moronic announcements like this just make it look stupid.

• Like 2

Why are these people so obsessed with making such outlandish, impossible to keep 'promises'?

Not a week goes by without some kind of major drug bust - from many parts of the country - hitting the news.

And yet, the drugs keep on coming, and coming and coming...

Why and how?

Yeah, yeah, I know...

Thai officialdom just love the sound of their own voices and I'm sure they don't realise just how stupid they sound as long as they get a headline and in 15 months no one will remember what they said plus the media will never remind them

After Mr. T's war on drugs when 2,000 odd dealers " shot each other " the Governor of Kalasin declared the province dug free, yes right.

• Like 1

Everyone else has said it but 'll say pretty much the same anyway. Taking steps to deal with the drugs problem is a good idea and should be praised. Any claims to get rid of it and within such a short time is totally stupid and deserves all the negative comments it gets. I wonder if anything will be done or is this just the normal thing of making an announcement of a crackdown instead of actually dong something.

The only possible excuse is that it was a sensible statement ruined by bad translation but I think I'm clutching at straws there.

• Like 1

Thats precisely why we need the man back, his attitude to drugs are utterly ruthless. a lot of innocents went missing you say? the big question is would you sacrifice 1000 to save one million.

I can't believe you are serious.

the thought process isn't that foreign. please expand on why it shouldn't be considered, or re-implemented? I, personally, think it is a bad idea, but another part says "hey", you know a way to keep Bangkok drug-free, which nobody wants anyway, do like he did. but, yea guess that didn't work either

Oh where is the hero that will rid all Thai idiot politicians within 15 months.Sorry just thought of how to do it put the new nuclear reactor in the heart of BKK to go online in 15 months. There both problems solved.

Edited by swifty5x5

Why make pledges that are very obviously impossible to fulfil?

Why not? Almost all politicians make promises they have no intention of keeping, and then use weasley words to try and claim success.

Here, the press are about as savage as a dead sheep compared to the rotweilers in the West so no chance of much comeback.

Didn't someone promise a war on corruption too?

I knew a CEO like that once. Thought all he had to do was issue instructions to somebody to do the "bleeding obvious" - cut costs, increase sales and margins and efficiency. He never really understood where it all went wrong but enjoyed issuing the commandment's no end. Seems politicians are similarly afflicted.

Thats precisely why we need the man back, his attitude to drugs are utterly ruthless. a lot of innocents went missing you say? the big question is would you sacrifice 1000 to save one million.

the ratio would be closer to 999,999 to 1M. Not sure whether that last person would be a seller/pusher or buyer/user, but it'd be kinda be a funny to watch him fretting about his business or fix!

Edited by mamypoko