Mugging......

theblether

Assault......  

177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Typical violent crime rate is 400 per 100,000 people (USA, that den of violence). That means 99.6% of them don't get victimized in a given year.

I imagine it's the about the same in Thailand.

You would imagine wrong. Thailand is much more violent. I've posted a chart over and over here showing that Thailand is one of the most violent countries in the the world with 10x the gun murder rate per capita as the US.

IMHO it's a lot about where you go and when. There are bad areas and better areas. There are areas where I feel pretty safe, and places I know I shouldn't be.

Is Thailand one of the most violent countries in the World??? Can we see some statics about this please.

I was also living a pretty wild life here from 1998 and up to about 2002 where I was staying much more in the red light districts in Bangkok and Pattaya then the rest of Thailand, no problem. Then I sort of grow up but still go out sometimes and never had any problems.

Calling Thailand one of the most violent countries in the world is utterly nonsense, how about Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq and many other places? I have also worked with a lot of South Africans, holy cow man, armed response subscription if you live in a house (even in a gated village) and the ones living out in the sticks have guns in hiding in almost all rooms so they can get one quickly.

I forgot to add, the violence in the deep South here have added dramatically to whatever statics you find regarding gun murder rate per capita, people are gunned down daily down there, sadly.

Edited by guzzi850m2

Yesterday in London, 2 girls having for a night out were shot in the street, one died. Seems for no reason, wrong place, wrong time. I will not post here what the offenders were but are being tracked down as l write.. sad.png

^ As has been demonstrated many times.

Expats in Thailand are often totally oblivious to violent crime that has occurred within their own neighbourhoods - isolated from what is going on around them by a lack of language skills and the self deception of unfounded beliefs about what they imagine is and is not true about Thailand.

Yesterday in London, 2 girls having for a night out were shot in the street, one died. Seems for no reason, wrong place, wrong time. I will not post here what the offenders were but are being tracked down as l write.. sad.png

Yes tragically true.

But tragic as this case is, the facts are that violent crime rates in the UK have fallen dramatically over the past decade. Independent research on the subject suggesting greater decreases in violent crime than the police/government claims.

I don't think the same can be said of Thailand.

I can back my claims up with statistics besides those everyone knows that alcohol fuels agression like no other drug on this planet. So your chances of getting attacked in places like that are a lot higher. I dare to bet my life on it.

Be careful, I doubt you can provide any reliable statistics on the incidence of violence around Thai bars.

The argument that alcohol 'fuels violence' is not yet proven.

Alcohol might remove the inhibitions of violent people but there is no evidence that alcohol turns non violent people into violent people.

Its only logic and you are already supporting my views by accepting that alcohol promotes violence. I have statistics on that from the good old USA.

http://www.ncadd.org/index.php/learn-about-alcohol/alcohol-and-crime

Based on victim reports, alcohol use by the offender was a factor in:
  • 37% of rapes and sexual assaults
  • 15% of robberies
  • 27% of aggravated assaults, and
  • 25% of simple assaults

Anyway I don't believe that alcohol makes non violent people violent but by removing inhibitions it certainly aids to violence in many people. So in fact I am 100% right stating that in bars and clubs there is much more chance of violence because of the alcohol. Unless you think that everyone in there like me is a lamb and does not get violent when drunk.

Yes tragically true.

But tragic as this case is, the facts are that violent crime rates in the UK have fallen dramatically over the past decade. Independent research on the subject suggesting greater decreases in violent crime than the police/government claims.

Perhaps, but the UK police had to create a special stand alone task force called Trident to try and take care of a certain gun toting group of ''British'' folk at great expense because of the increase in their thuggery.

Perhaps, but the UK police had to create a special stand alone task force called Trident to try and take care of a certain gun toting group of ''British'' folk at great expense because of the increase in their thuggery.

That would be a point of discussion on the UKVisa forum...

I only had one incident that made me think I would have to fight. At the Bang Sue (I hate that spelling, but whatever) trains station, my train was late (as per usual). A young Thai guy, who looked like he was on the yaba or something else like that, came up and started asking for beer and ciggies, and I told him no, I bought the beer for myself and had no ciggies.

Then he asked where the store was, and I said going outside the station was better, since the prices are lower there
(really just wanted him to leave me alone). He asked for money and I said no, sorry. Then he sat down, pulled out a small knife (almost had a "that's not a knife" moment) and leaned forward, knife pointed at me, as if he were going to lunge at me.

I held my beer bottle in a slightly menacing position and he was looking at me sideways, like he was contemplating whether to do this or not. Eventually, he stood up and talked to some Thai uni students who had just showed up.

I took the opportunity to go stand far away down the platform and then got my train. So, a little dodgy, but, in general, even BKK feels safe most of the time in most places.

Edited by dao16

Robblok, please provide the evidence that states 'Alcohol makes non violent people violent'.

I never said there was, i said it is involved in many crimes. I for one do not get violent from alcohol or any other drug I have tried. But it is a fact that not everyone is like me. The evidence clearly suggest that alcohol fuels violence in people who have a tendency to be violent.

Unless you believe there are only sheep in a bar then going to bars makes it more likely that you get into trouble with violent people.

It lowers the inhibitions of people who are easy violent. That being said I am pro drugs and alcohol and wish it was all legalized. They should go after people who do the violence and not ban stuff for everyone because some can't handle it. Give me a nice MDMA tablet over alcohol any day but that is my preference (not that i take it here in this country in fact haven't used it for 7+ years)

FACT: Alcohol is a factor in 40% of all violent crimes today

http://www.ncadd.org/index.php/learn-about-alcohol/alcohol-and-crime

• Like 1

Robblok, please provide the evidence that states 'Alcohol makes non violent people violent'.

I think that most of us through life's experiences knows this to be true. I can give examples. sad.png

To be honest I think that people who get violent from drugs or alcohol are already violent but repressed it. I have never ever in my life gotten violent from any drug alcohol included. When I get drunk i fall asleep. There are plenty of people who can manage their drug of choice but a lot that cant. To bad they spoil it for all of us.

• Like 1

Yes tragically true.

I'm so not biting . . .

Well, I think it is pretty obvious that alcohol makes some people super nice and they will just love everything in sight until they pass out. On the other side of the spectrum, there are guys who SNAP and all their pent-up aggression and anger comes out, just looking for a target. Don't think you need scientific evidence for that. Just hang out and drink with people and this will become evident.

• Like 2

Well, I think it is pretty obvious that alcohol makes some people super nice and they will just love everything in sight until they pass out. On the other side of the spectrum, there are guys who SNAP and all their pent-up aggression and anger comes out, just looking for a target. Don't think you need scientific evidence for that. Just hang out and drink with people and this will become evident.

My now Thai wife has the scars to prove it, sadly. sad.png

The Wife regularly mugs me......does that count? and YES its is getting worse

Apart from bad driving, there have only been two occasions when I would have retaliated violently if the same thing had happened to me in Scotland. If you never get drunk and mind your own business, I believe you will be 99.9% safe in Thailand.

My now Thai wife has the scars to prove it, sadly. sad.png

Sorry to hear that.

I have seen the SNAP many times with people and I try to get away ASAP. One scary case was a coworker and a friend of his (not Thais and not in thailand...both of different nationalities) and they knew me and my friend and we knew them. All fun and games until something chemical happened and BOOM....it got really scary out of the blue. They were drinking hard liquor and this guy's eyes just glazed over and you could feel the aggression coming out of him. I thought he was going to just go berserk on me or my friend--wasn't super scared, but just didn't want to fight period. I am in shape enough to take care of myself and my friend with me is a huge guy, so felt ok, but fighting is never cool. Now I try to spot those people as fast as possible so I can avoid them.

Edited by dao16

Apart from bad driving, there have only been two occasions when I would have retaliated violently if the same thing had happened to me in Scotland. If you never get drunk and mind your own business, I believe you will be 99.9% safe in Thailand.

I agree, but WE never know who is sitting near bye. Bit like roulette. Could be wrong place, wrong time.

I am a very laid back old guy BUT I do know that when I have had a few there is a red mist appears in me, I am still no problem, but IF someone wants to make a problem or is making a problem near bye I have a problem trying to control it. If I was sober I would walk away. Being honest here. smile.png

Bit like singing, if I am sober, no way, if had a few guitar.gif.pagespeed.ce.Rjd-vqhNlw.gif .......................laugh.png

• Like 1

Oh, and Blether, no I've never been assaulted in Thailand but then I'm 6' 8', 270 pounds. I'm a former Navy Seal and former NFL lineman. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Your height and weight would not matter in Thailand, it just means that you would need to take on 12 of them instead of six.

• Like 2

I agree, but WE never know who is sitting near bye. Bit like roulette. Could be wrong place, wrong time.

I am a very laid back old guy BUT I do know that when I have had a few there is a red mist appears in me, I am still no problem, but IF someone wants to make a problem or is making a problem near bye I have a problem trying to control it. If I was sober I would walk away. Being honest here. smile.png

Bit like singing, if I am sober, no way, if had a few guitar.gif.pagespeed.ce.Rjd-vqhNlw.gif .......................laugh.png

Yes Transam, that's why I always say, you will be 99.9 per cent safe instead of 100. Where red mists are concerned I'm the same, I have problems with controlling it, but on the two occasions someone upset me I just walked away, which I would never do back in Scotland.

• Like 1

Something like neversure - I am 6'6" 225Lbs and never feel too bad anywhere, but over the last couple of years in Bangkok I have several friends suffered from motorbike drive-by handbag snatchers.

Oh - I forgot to say - my friends are all Thai whistling.gif

---

On the note of street-fighting - farang street-fighters REALLY need to be deported ON THE NEXT PLANE !!!!!!

Yes, if they are troublemakers, but don't condemn anyone if it's self defence.

• Like 1

Something like neversure - I am 6'6" 225Lbs and never feel too bad anywhere, but over the last couple of years in Bangkok I have several friends suffered from motorbike drive-by handbag snatchers.

---

On the note of street-fighting - farang street-fighters REALLY need to be deported ON THE NEXT PLANE !!!!!!

Yep, that's why we learn it. Not for trouble but to take care of us and ours. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I can back my claims up with statistics besides those everyone knows that alcohol fuels agression like no other drug on this planet. So your chances of getting attacked in places like that are a lot higher. I dare to bet my life on it.

Be careful, I doubt you can provide any reliable statistics on the incidence of violence around Thai bars.

Alcohol might remove the inhibitions of violent people but there is no evidence that alcohol turns non violent people into violent people.

I beg to differ Guesthouse, I have known a few guys back in Scotland who were very mild mannered people who would not say boo to a goose, but when they started drinking, they wanted to take on everybody.

• Like 1

---

Yep, that's why we learn it. Not for trouble but to take care of us and ours. thumbsup.gif

No matter what the provocation, a violent response is ALWAYS wrong.

I beg to differ Guesthouse, I have known a few guys back in Scotland who were very mild mannered people who would not say boo to a goose, but when they started drinking, they wanted to take on everybody.

More than a few --- I used to own a pub in Scotland ;)

• Like 1

---

No matter what the provocation, a violent response is ALWAYS wrong.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeell, rather your funeral than mine. smile.png AND, this is LOS,''Land of Soooooooooooooo'' little fuzz protection. whistling.gif

Edited by transam
  • Like 1