Mugging......

theblether

Assault......  

177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In phuket at the policebox in kathu stopped at nighttime by policeman. He was angry i did not wanted to give him my motorbikekey ( 1 never knows !! ) and he got angry with me. He threatened me with a sword !! A year later we had a break in at our house at around 8 pm, we were taking our son showering that time, and that same policeman came to check upon filing a report. Small world !! 4 months later they apprehended the burglar. We were told after the reenacting in our house that he carried a gun upon break in !! Personally in all the 19 years coming in thailand never had problems or was involved in fights. The increase in the wealthdifference IMO has especially negative effects in touristareas.

Edited by benalibina
  • Like 1

I am extraordinarily happy that I found Thailand before I found t.v. I would not have bought my condo on the sea front, built my mansion, have questions in regard to my wife having a hairy back and a deep voice, worried by sons education, paid the bib bribes, getting out of Dodge every other night, baht bus mafia, group dependency against foreigner st all. Dogs, roads, neighbours, driving. I wish I lived in a democracy in the west, did I forget " duel " pricing.

cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Typical violent crime rate is 400 per 100,000 people (USA, that den of violence). That means 99.6% of them don't get victimized in a given year.

I imagine it's the about the same in Thailand.

Edited by impulse

Someone snatched my gold chain when i was walking and he on a bike,

one of my bikes were stolen when i was sleeping,

an ex stole money when i was sleeping or showering,

been tricked with overcharging for ladydrink,

been stolen of my deposit when i leave a rental condo,

been tricked with double charging of electric on rental condos,

frequent random insults and intimidation if i dont give away money upon begging demand

been robbed of my alarm on the bike without request, and when i said put it back,

i was charged with a fee of 1000 baht to restore it, tho to a lesser degree, remote start was no longer connected.

been charged with driving in right lane while overtaking

still waiting 11 years later of getting the money i lend out back

Edited by poanoi

Never been mugged robbed or any kind of violence against me. But I don't frequent the bars and such so that might make me less likely to get into trouble. Never had anything stolen from me either though I do watch my stuff and lock my home and keep a fierce dangerous killer monster dog. (be warned future burglar)

Typical violent crime rate is 400 per 100,000 people (USA, that den of violence). That means 99.6% of them don't get victimized in a given year.

I imagine it's the about the same in Thailand.

You would imagine wrong. Thailand is much more violent. I've posted a chart over and over here showing that Thailand is one of the most violent countries in the the world with 10x the gun murder rate per capita as the US.

IMHO it's a lot about where you go and when. There are bad areas and better areas. There are areas where I feel pretty safe, and places I know I shouldn't be.

• Like 1

Someone snatched my gold chain when i was walking and he on a bike,

one of my bikes were stolen when i was sleeping,

an ex stole money when i was sleeping or showering,

been tricked with overcharging for ladydrink,

been stolen of my deposit when i leave a rental condo,

been tricked with double charging of electric on rental condos,

frequent random insults and intimidation if i dont give away money upon begging demand

been robbed of my alarm on the bike without request, and when i said put it back,

i was charged with a fee of 1000 baht to restore it, tho to a lesser degree, remote start was no longer connected.

been charged with driving in right lane while overtaking

still waiting 11 years later of getting the money i lend out back

Wow this is a real string of bad experiences in Thailand although I must say I did have to pay ฿200 for driving in the right lane while NOT overtaking.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by bonobo
Separated quote from new post.

I've seen a couple of 8v1 standard beatings, once a western tourist as the victim (he was staggering about trying to get rises out of people mind you)

Never once felt threatened personally.

Back in the U.K I've never been threatened either however.

Oh, and Blether, no I've never been assaulted in Thailand but then I'm 6' 8', 270 pounds. I'm a former Navy Seal and former NFL lineman. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

From your avatar, I figured you was a rodeo cowboy.

And even if Thailand is more violent, the odds are pretty well stacked against being a victim of violent crime. Maybe not 99.6%, maybe just 99%.

Edited by impulse

Its funny, we (myself and a couple of long term mates) were just reminiscing this very subject a couple of weeks ago. In all cases the answer was no, never even close to a mugging for any of us.

On a personal level, in the 24 years of visiting and the 16 years of living here, it was probably by luck that I didn't get whacked during the first 8 years of the adventure, as that was full-on party mode. I would admit that I definitely deserved it on occasion,,,,,,,,,,,,Posted Image

With that said, regardless of what some people may think, things were different then (speaking about Pattaya, which was the playground for me). You would likely be more worried about a sexual assault by some cutie in a bar than being mugged on your way home.

I do realize that things have changed, IMHO, 1997 was a huge turning point. With the incredible exchange rates due to the crash that we saw then, it gave the opportunity to a different type of tourist to call Thailand a holiday destination. I personally saw the increase of the 'Malang da', low-life Thai guys living of the earnings of the girls, the increase of gambling and drugs and hence the reduction of money making the journey home to support the families. It may have been going on all the time, but I couldn't see it because of the 'party blinkers', but I don't think so.

Even then, 1997, there were isolated stories about necklace snatches, something relatively unheard of at the time. I think that was the year I started to grow up, party over, start living a normal life.

As a disclaimer, the above is how I viewed the change, no doubt others will have viewed it different. But, all said and done, I have never regretted anything I have done, and have never been mugged along the path to normality...................Posted Image

Couldn't agree more.1997 was a game changer in many ways. It was the first time Thais experienced redundancy,it appeared to me that the Thai way of life changed significantly and started to be more outwardly aggressive and as you point out more selfish.it became a game of survival.

Combine the huge tourist promotion that bought so many tourists in the early 2000's.

I saw a mugging on asoke in 1994, drive by motor cycle. It's always been there but the scale has changed. Had my passport stolen from my bag in 2001 whilst on a bus, was completely shocked as I have on numerous occasions just left it lying around no problem..that was a small change in my perception which has just continued to be re- enforced.

Is normal life possible in Thailand?

• Like 1

Well, out here in Ban Buffalo, Buriram, we had a breakin and petty theft recently. We now know who did it, don't expect to see her in the village again any time soon. Her husband beats her to get money for yabaa. That's it, not like Pattaya, is it?

Something like neversure - I am 6'6" 225Lbs and never feel too bad anywhere, but over the last couple of years in Bangkok I have several friends suffered from motorbike drive-by handbag snatchers.

Oh - I forgot to say - my friends are all Thai whistling.gif

---

On the note of street-fighting - farang street-fighters REALLY need to be deported ON THE NEXT PLANE !!!!!!

• Like 1

Nine years and never close to getting mugged even though in the early years I was very frequently walking along Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok in a half drunk state. Closest to any incident was when a drunk farang looked at me and told me threateningly 'you fxxking chink go back to where you came from'!! Huh?!!! I laughed and walked away.

There seems to be a belief here that hanging around bars puts you at higher risk of being mugged or assaulted. Now I have seen a couple of occasions when foreigners have received a beating in bars, both occasions they started the trouble. But I've seen far more occasions of bar staff and customers trying to quieten down drunk foreigners who are causing problems.

I'm sure most of us do what we do back home, drink at a favourite bar, get to know the staff and get to know they are trying to make and honest living and are keen to keep a good reputation for their business.

The assumption that going to bars puts you are risk, and conversely staying out of bars keeps you safe is, I believe, no more than a self deception and perhaps an expression of the belief that 'assaults happen to others who make dumb choices'.

By example: A few months back we had a report on the Cycling forum of an expat who was attacked by a couple of Thai guys while cycling in Jomtien - he was not on a particularly quiet rode, a Thai driver came to his assistance, but he nevertheless was attacked by a gang who were targeting cyclists (and who have since been captured through the efforts of Thai cyclists who cooperated to catch them over social networks).

Yes you can place yourself in danger by your actions and yes you absolutely can avoid danger by your actions - but it is a fallacy to believe that victims always make themselves victims - There are very many occasions when they are simply 'victims', in the wrong place at the wrong time - the wrong place and the wrong time a matter of what is going on in the head of he attacker, and nothing to do with any choice the victim made.

• Like 2

Apart from the trick of bringing a new modified price list when it was time to pay the ladydrink,

all thefts was outside from and unrelated to the party-scene, in my case.

Edited by poanoi

There seems to be a belief here that hanging around bars puts you at higher risk of being mugged or assaulted. Now I have seen a couple of occasions when foreigners have received a beating in bars, both occasions they started the trouble. But I've seen far more occasions of bar staff and customers trying to quieten down drunk foreigners who are causing problems.

I'm sure most of us do what we do back home, drink at a favourite bar, get to know the staff and get to know they are trying to make and honest living and are keen to keep a good reputation for their business.

The assumption that going to bars puts you are risk, and conversely staying out of bars keeps you safe is, I believe, no more than a self deception and perhaps an expression of the belief that 'assaults happen to others who make dumb choices'.

By example: A few months back we had a report on the Cycling forum of an expat who was attacked by a couple of Thai guys while cycling in Jomtien - he was not on a particularly quiet rode, a Thai driver came to his assistance, but he nevertheless was attacked by a gang who were targeting cyclists (and who have since been captured through the efforts of Thai cyclists who cooperated to catch them over social networks).

Yes you can place yourself in danger by your actions and yes you absolutely can avoid danger by your actions - but it is a fallacy to believe that victims always make themselves victims - There are very many occasions when they are simply 'victims', in the wrong place at the wrong time - the wrong place and the wrong time a matter of what is going on in the head of he attacker, and nothing to do with any choice the victim made.

I can back my claims up with statistics besides those everyone knows that alcohol fuels agression like no other drug on this planet. So your chances of getting attacked in places like that are a lot higher. I dare to bet my life on it.

That being said just going to clubs and bars should be something that could be done without violence and many like doing it so they should. I don't feel they bring it upon themselves they heighten the risk that is for sure and if they walk back home dead drunk again the risk goes up. However that does not mean they are 100% to blame the attacker is.

Though walking back dead drunk is of course a stupid thing to do.

• Like 1

I can back my claims up with statistics besides those everyone knows that alcohol fuels agression like no other drug on this planet. So your chances of getting attacked in places like that are a lot higher. I dare to bet my life on it.

Be careful, I doubt you can provide any reliable statistics on the incidence of violence around Thai bars.

The argument that alcohol 'fuels violence' is not yet proven.

Alcohol might remove the inhibitions of violent people but there is no evidence that alcohol turns non violent people into violent people.