Anybody here eat frogs?

grumpyoldman

Was commenting yesterday to some friends about a massive toad that was on my patio recently, took a picture of the guy.

Showed it to one of my Thai staff and she commented "mmmmmmm aroi".

Can't say I have ever eaten frog. Everybody says tastes like chicken, but hell, chickens eat everything thats why many things taste like chicken.

Any you people out there eat frog somewhat regularly? Can't say I've seen it on any restaurant menus here.....

post-92090-0-36787700-1377400770_thumb.j

Frogs and rat of the field type not sewer dwelling are very popular in Thailand more so in the rural areas.

I've eaten frog a few times here,pad phet Gop it's ok but they put everything in there,I've eaten frogs legs in Paris also.

It's not something I look for on a menu but it's edible.

In the GF's village a guy came by with a bag of live frogs. He proceeded to bang the bag on the floor with a lot of power again and again until he was pretty sure the frogs were all dead. He opened the bag, skinned the frogs and chopped them into very, very small pieces, bones as well.

The GF's friend added a few spices, chilli and basil and fried them in the pan. Phad kaprow gop for dinner. I had some. It tasted fine but the bones did give it a somewhat crunchy texture, which I didn't like.

Deep fried frogs' legs in Siem Reap were very nice, however.

Back in Bangkok days I was acting as kind of a local host for company colleges from different countries while we went to see the nightlife.

Great night out, but demonstrating to them "yes, we always eat roasted frogs as a snack" was definitely not my brightest moment on this rock.

I've eaten frog legs in a French restaurant in Perth and in several places in Bali in the early days, they're not so common there now. Didn't mind them.

Here, my GF gets bags of small (just past the tadpole stage) crispy fried, frogs sent from home. Tried them, revolting!

In the GF's village a guy came by with a bag of live frogs. He proceeded to bang the bag on the floor with a lot of power again and again until he was pretty sure the frogs were all dead. He opened the bag, skinned the frogs and chopped them into very, very small pieces, bones as well.

The GF's friend added a few spices, chilli and basil and fried them in the pan. Phad kaprow gop for dinner. I had some. It tasted fine but the bones did give it a somewhat crunchy texture, which I didn't like.

Deep fried frogs' legs in Siem Reap were very nice, however.

Hmmmmm..........yes the sandy effect would be unsettling.

Ol Croc's little mini fried frogs, does not sound so great either.

Deep fried legs, if they were sort of meaty like a chicken drummette, now might give that a go.

always when i'm in singapore, clay pott froggs, very tasty.

Really? What do you mean clay pott frogs? Is that the way they are cooked? Pot in an oven and baked?Steamed?

In Singapore's Chinese eateries, frogs are cooked in many ways. One of the most popular is with porridge (rice porridge, like 'jok' in Thailand). The frog is cooked in a mixture of dried chilli, dark soya sauce, vineger, spring onion in a clay pot. This is eaten with the porridge also cooked in a claypot. another famous eatery steams the frog with ginger, spring onion, and garlic, and when served, a bottle of Brand's chicken essence is poured in. The meat is tender and soft, and has a natural sweetness that you cannot find in chicken meat. In fact, the restaurant that invented this dish was named by Anthony Bordain as one of the 13 restaurants to try before one dies! Its amazing!post-138135-13774094929839_thumb.jpgdByThaivisa Connect Thailand1377409527.203204.jpg]

post-138135-13774098038103_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've eaten them many times. Mostly up north. A lot of people raise them in a pen. I agree with Madmitch, kind of boney when they chop up the whole frog. The ones in Siem Reap are a lot bigger and I was served just the legs there. I haven't had any here in Phuket for about a year now. The last was at my wife's cousin's house in Chalong. They were kind of small and chopped up. You just spit out the bones though.

always when i'm in singapore, clay pott froggs, very tasty.

Really? What do you mean clay pott frogs? Is that the way they are cooked? Pot in an oven and baked?Steamed?

cooked in a clay pott, with a thick soisauce, dry chilli and spring onion, famous with kao tom

frog_legs.jpg

Wonderful cartoon! Thanks for that.

I don't eat frog legs or any other animal bits as I'm a vegan. I always buy up the live frogs on sale at my local market and set them free in my large pond. At least they have a fighting chance there. My way of doing merit.

I'm more of a dog leg man than frogs.

In issan had some really delicious BBQ canine.

I'm guessing it was poodle by it's size. Not bad but gammy like lamb.

My local market in Isaan sells bags of live small frogs which are put into soup. Not to my taste.

The Thai Market, a little North of Don Muang does sell large frogs, very much dead, but don't know how they are cooked.

I enjoy frog legs French style, which is also a very popular dish in Indonesia, so surprising not in Thailand too.

Getting off topic, the men of the family (excluding yours truly) have a canine BBQ every 7 - 10 days or so.

I was taught not to eat any animal whose sh*t smells worse than your own, so dogs off my menu.