Our ultimate goal is to bring down the 'Thaksin regime'

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
Our ultimate goal is to bring down the 'Thaksin regime'

30213468-01_big.gif
Khunying Kalaya

BANGKOK: -- Democrat party-list MP Khunying Kalaya Sophonpanich was among the first leading Democrat figures to appear on the anti-government People's Army stage at Lumpini Park on August 18. Two days earlier, she joined Democrat MPs Kasit Piromya, Nipit Intarasombat and Chalermchai Srion to meet People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) leaders to talk about forming an alliance.

In January 2006, she joined a PAD march from Lumpini Park to Government House to pressure then prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra into resigning. PAD leaders said last Friday they would give up leading political rallies, which means Kalaya's mission appears to be failing. The Nation's Hataikarn Treesuwan and Budsarakham Sinlapalavan spoke to her at a time when the Democrats seem to be "going it alone" against the government.

Why was it that you, Kasit, Nipit and Chalermchai met the PAD leaders?

The Democrat Party knows what it's doing. But there is no specific person who should meet the PAD. I'm the head of the Democrat MPs, Nipit is a legal expert and Chalermchai is party secretary-general so it is better if he joins us. We have been friends for a long time and always talk together. If we have the same ideas and same purpose to overthrow "Thaksin's regime", we should fight together seriously.

However, the PAD leaders announced last Friday that they would give up their role in leading political rallies. I would like to say thank you [to them] for showing PAD's stance clearly. Meanwhile, they gave PAD supporters the freedom to join campaigns of other groups to push for political reforms. And they also said if a national crisis occurs, they will review their own role.

So their "final statement" is not so bad.

But the PAD leaders said the Democrat Party is insincere about joining a mass protest after Democrat MPs refused to resign.

I don't think so and I don't feel humiliated. I understand the PAD's conditions and I believe they understand our conditions as well. We will not quarrel because of this issue.

We could meet and discuss the political situation next time. It is not the end of our relationship. The Democrats can join with anybody who loves Thailand.

Our ultimate goal is to bring down the "Thaksin regime" and restore the rule of law. Now the government is not respecting the rule of law.

They are pushing an amnesty bill and amending the Constitution. They are becoming more aggressive. So the Democrats will come up with many strategies, campaigning both outside and inside Parliament.

The Democrat Party has the support of 12 million voters, BlueSky TV and eloquent members of parliament. What do you expect from anti-government groups?

We can stretch out and reach other groups of people. Every group has its limits. If we work together, we will be able to do more.

Do you think the ongoing street protests will finally lead to a "coup by the people"?

Yes, it should be so. But we [the Democrat Party] have no intention of creating violence. If any group resorts to violence, it's not our responsibility.

What is the worst-case scenario for the Democrats in this fight?

This government is not afraid of doing anything. They accuse us of wrongdoing even though we don't do anything wrong. So when you fight the government and lose, they will put you in jail for sure.

Do you have any financial sponsors to support your campaign?

We have no money right now. At present, nobody has more money than they [politicians in power] do. They have been in power for 10 years.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-26

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that's a fair point Ratcatcher, There's an attitude in CM that this place is untouchable. The logic is that there are millions of Red Shirt supporters in BKK already, and millions more could pour in at any time, but the Yellow Shirts wouldn't be able to fill a minibus in CM. There is no fear of the Yellow Shirts or BKK elite here.

I asked what would happen in the event of a coup, shrug of the shoulders, so what, maybe a curfew for a few months, problems in BKK, everything will go back to normal and we'll win the next election.

The Red Shirts are adopting a can't lose mentality. Maybe they are right to think that but they always say that pride comes before a fall.

go out discuss with the public and do like tea party's with the citizens , convince them from your ideas to run the country( without corruption, hopefully ), than you ill win elections.

only need is, the majority behind you, it's called ppl power

The ultimate goal shouldn't be to "bring down the Thaksin regime." The ultimate goal should be to deliver benefits and service to the Thai people in a more fair and practical way.

True.... but they would argue it boils down to the same thing.

They need to reformulate their message. Its too negative. The problem is that they offer nothing better.

I felt a depressing sense of sadness when I read this. The pettiness of politics—the squabbling over slogans designed to do no more than mask an urge to seize power. Is there any real difference between the Red and Yellow shirts (a rose by any other name ...)? I do not believe so. Thailand faces serious problems in the longer term. A few have been mentioned in these fora: the sinking of Bangkok, for example. Many more come to mind. Yet the Thai government seemed incapable of dealing competently with the relatively straightforward problem of the 2010 floods. The flip side to this is the ever increasing surveillance society. More cameras are being installed, the police/military are spying on communications, and websites are being banned. Who are we being protected from? Unfortunately, none of this is confined to just Thailand.

• Like 1

go out discuss with the public and do like tea party's with the citizens , convince them from your ideas to run the country( without corruption, hopefully ), than you ill win elections.

only need is, the majority behind you, it's called ppl power

Last time I checked, the Tea Party was not doing so well. Its pantheon of saints (Bachman, Palin, etc) had been relegated to the fringes of the Republican Party, and their arch enemy was voted (by the people!) back into power. The Tea Party is a useful model only to the extent that it shows that extremism and intransigence are not sustainable as the foundations of a political platform. I would hope the Reds and Yellows could learn this lesson instead...

• Like 2

The ultimate goal shouldn't be to "bring down the Thaksin regime." The ultimate goal should be to deliver benefits and service to the Thai people in a more fair and practical way.

I think the headline is misleading, it's only in reference to the current struggle with Pheua Thai and its attempt to whitewash Thaksin's wrongdoing.

The Democrat party are fully aware of the need for them to propose positive proposals for the future of Thailand. They're working on them at the moment, expect to see their vision before tooo long.

• Like 1

So the ultimate goals for both sides have been set...

After PT was elected, K. Chalerm came out and said the party's ultimate goal is to bring Thaksin back, scot-free. Now the Democrates come out and say their ultimate goal is to bring down Thaksin regime...

Reconciliation and amnesty??? Anyone?

If the Democrat Party indeed is not aiming at "creating violence", and therefore "not responsible for it", i wonder then what they are doing in alliance with the group at Lumpini Park. Yesterday several hundred vocational students, representatives from many colleges, joined the Lumpini Park rally - the exact same gangs which are regularly getting into the news for their fights with rival schools. Given the propensity for extreme violence under these groups reaching back decades, no political group that purposely reaches out to them to attract them to their political cause can absolve itself of responsibility in case violence will break out.

For the context - during the volatile 70's vocational students were first allied with the pro-democracy groups in 1973 which ousted dictators Praphas and Thanom and , but soon changed sides, and formed part of the core troops of the extreme right wing paramilitary "Krating Daeng" (Red Gaur), which was responsible for many killings of student leaders, union leaders and suspected communists and leftists.

• Like 1

This poor Democratic MP, s lack off intelligens and the deep sickness of jealousness , don't understand that the majority of thai people's don't want them in power !!!!! Remind: Mostl of this PAD leader's got the wealth through Khun Thaksin. And Bangkok people's are not representative for the real Thailand !!!

True.... but they would argue it boils down to the same thing.

They need to reformulate their message. Its too negative. The problem is that they offer nothing better.

If they offer themselves so people will say they are bringing Thaksin down just for themselves to get into the power, no matter how good the offers are. All the offers can be fulfilled only when they become the government. smile.png

• Like 1

I wonder what is the feeling of a young Thai (btw 18 and 22 years old) reading this never ending rambling.

I have put this question before the young members of my Thai family. They are sickened by the whole thing.

They feel that all political party's are only interested in personal power and have no clear vision of the future of Thailand.

I ask why don't the students hold peaceful rally's and show their concern?

Schools do not teach or allow critical thinking, independent thinking, questioning the corruption in politics.

Bottom Line is fear.

• Like 1

Does that include services such as Bangkok banks latest accounts aimed at the people. As bad as it gets, does anyone really believe that this woman is acting out of selflessness.

When ptp opens up the banking industry to foreign entry, how much business does Bangkok bank stand to lose?

If the Democrat Party indeed is not aiming at "creating violence", and therefore "not responsible for it", i wonder then what they are doing in alliance with the group at Lumpini Park. Yesterday several hundred vocational students, representatives from many colleges, joined the Lumpini Park rally - the exact same gangs which are regularly getting into the news for their fights with rival schools. Given the propensity for extreme violence under these groups reaching back decades, no political group that purposely reaches out to them to attract them to their political cause can absolve itself of responsibility in case violence will break out.

And where were the reds Nick?

There pestering again and blocking roads?

If they are not trying to make more trouble, inspiring violence even why are they there?

Is that not the same violent reds who created the riots, you know the ones you spend so many posts defending?

You remember, the ones who not so long back fired marbles, nuts and stones at a white mask group.

Not so keen on your theory that all vocational students are violent, perhaps there are a vast majority who are keen to study and get somewhere in the world.

Could be that they even keep up with the news and can see where PT is taking this country they will be spending their lives in and don't like what they see?

And possibly they believe they have a stake in what will happen in this country and would like to see it free of the present corruption, lies, threats and intimidation.

But hay, its obvious none of them were lucky enough to go to a red school or they would know the real truth.

• Like 1

I think the headline is misleading, it's only in reference to the current struggle with Pheua Thai and its attempt to whitewash Thaksin's wrongdoing.

The Democrat party are fully aware of the need for them to propose positive proposals for the future of Thailand. They're working on them at the moment, expect to see their vision before tooo long.

I'm pleased to hear it.But I simply can't believe that Khunying Kalaya (personally someone I have a lot of respect for) can play any part in that future unless she completely changes her tone

Not so keen on your theory that all vocational students are violent, perhaps there are a vast majority who are keen to study and get somewhere in the world.

Could be that they even keep up with the news and can see where PT is taking this country they will be spending their lives in and don't like what they see?

And possibly they believe they have a stake in what will happen in this country and would like to see it free of the present corruption, lies, threats and intimidation.

But hay, its obvious none of them were lucky enough to go to a red school or they would know the real truth.

It's pointless for Nick Nostitz or indeed anyone who has any knowledge of Thai history (or indeed general culture - Clockwork Orange etc) to argue with this kind of astonishingly ignorant yet bigoted post.Some of us who were here in the 1970's know about the background of the red gaurs and village scouts (and who encouraged and financed them).

• Like 1

It's pointless for Nick Nostitz or indeed anyone who has any knowledge of Thai history (or indeed general culture - Clockwork Orange etc) to argue with this kind of astonishingly ignorant yet bigoted post.Some of us who were here in the 1970's know about the background of the red gaurs and village scouts (and who encouraged and financed them).

Back to your usual insults I see jayboy, cant help yourself can you?

You might like to explain A What's so ignorant about saying that all vocational students are not out to create violence and B what's bigoted about it

And you quote Clockwork Orange, I presume as some sort of reference to what Thai vocational students are like.

• Like 1

And where were the reds Nick?

There pestering again and blocking roads?

<snipped>

Yesterday?

Well, a group of ca. 50 Red Shirts that passed Rama IV road on their way home from some Red Shirt stage was attacked by these vocational school students. According to my information 2 of the Red Shirt's vehicles were badly damaged, and about 10 to 15 were injured. It has to be pointed out that the Red Shirts have provoked the Yellow Shirts by letting Red Shirt songs play from their speaker systems, again, according to my information.

As to the history and political violence in the 70's and/or inter-school gang rivalries and violence under vocational school students, I would suggest to ask your Thai partner, or Thai friends, for information. Instead of speculating on the net, you might also want to have a look next week end at the Lumpini Park protest, and take a personal look at these vocational school students, and decide for yourself if they are your nice and friendly students with a keen interest in political development, or if they are members of these infamous student gangs with a well deserved reputation - a difference which is not exactly difficult to make out.