'Drugs planted on Australian couple' in Thailand

webfact

I tried again, it's doing the same thing. Taking me to the landing page and not opening, doesn't matter, I got the gist of the story from the link that SE posted.

Try this then scroll down to the story "Thai Shock for melb Duo"

http://www.3aw.com.au/

Got it thanks.

Re your comment about it being all over the news in Australia. I think people would let stories about tuk tuk and jet ski scams woosh over their heads. Not this one though.

The idea of this becoming a new scam is sickening and terrifying for many. It's one thing to be scammed for a few hundred / thousand baht, something else to land with a drug charge against you.

This is repulsive. What a shock it must be to that couple.

Totally agree. This is probably the most worrying news story of all I've read on this forum; the possibility of being locked up for even a day in Thailand would be a nightmare, but, even if they were able to establish you were completely innocent, this would take (at least) months to be resolved...if ever!

I use a back-pack for convenience for all my travels to SE Asia and all compartments remain unlocked - it worries me that I would not notice if this sort of thing happened to me and there would be nothing to indicate my bag had been tampered with. Especially worrying if this was done en-route, with no opportunity to have a check before meeting officialdom (which I shall look to do from now on in my hotel room before setting off for any internal / return flights).

As an aside, is the name of the hotel available anywhere / known? With something this serious, I believe it should be made known / exposed, so people can avoid.

Very worrying.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wouldnt go to a local hotel to check in to check what happened, but check on the spot what is wrong.

could call the airport security or police, i dont see what it different from that calling police from the hotel.

If I found a suspicious substance in my luggage, the Thai Police or Thai Airport Security would be the last people I would call ..... heck, they wouldn't even be on the list.

.................and absolutely the last thing I would do is attempt to go through any type of security clearance.

The way I'm reading it, this couple did exactly the right thing. To hell with the expense of another flight, you have to anything, everything in your power to get out of this. I can't see how this couple could have done any better in these horrible circumstances.

• Like 1

I wonder how long this has been going on? hotel employees do the set up with the drugs, call the inside man at airport,tell them which flight,stop them,pull them out the back,threaten 20years jail or pay x amount of dollars,keep quiet or else, something like that, just guessing of course.

UPDATE:

Aussie couple in Bangkok bag-tamper drug scam scare

BANGKOK: -- A Melbourne couple say they were fortunate not to have fallen victim to tough Thai drug laws after marijuana was planted in their luggage.

About to check in for a flight from Phuket to Bangkok, the couple noticed their bags were overweight, but it wasn't until they realised that one of the bags was missing a lock that they thought something was strange.

We spent two days in Bangkok washing all our clothes and changing our suitcases just to make sure we didn't have any more marijuana on us.

"Georgia" told radio station 3AW on Monday that not only was the lock missing but part of her boyfriend's suitcase had been cut through.

They took their bags to a nearby hotel and, after a search, found marijuana in a small pocket of a bag inside Georgia's suitcase.

Full story: http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-incidents/aussie-couple-in-bangkok-bagtamper-drug-scam-scare-20130826-2skug.html

-- THE AGE 2013-08-26

I have no reason to doubt their story but here's what I don't understand:

They were checking in at HKT, thought something was amiss and quickly checked into a nearby hotel (near HKT airport?). They found a handful of weed, called the embassy and were told to get rid of it and their bags. They were still afraid of remaining traces being found .... but they waited until they got to BKK to change the cases and wash their clothes?

Did they take a bus to BKK instead of flying?

I you listen to the woman tell the story she says they were going to catch a flight from Bangkok to Phuket. They didn't leave Bangkok and were still there this morning when 3AW spoke to her on the phone. The woman sounds like a decent everyday aussie definitely not a bogan.

The way I read it is that they had flown from Phuket to Bangkok and were in a Bangkok hotel awaiting their flight to Australia. It was before they checked in to the flight from BKK that they noticed the tampering and they are assuming that their bags must have been tampered with in the Bangkok hotel, while they took a walk.

I'm with those who think the story is full of holes. If they had been set up when was the sting supposed to happen? It must have been pretty obvious to the tamperer that they would have noticed that their locks were broken and the bag cut, before they checked in. If it was a real set-up why didn't the bad guys pounce before they got to the airport?

I tried again, it's doing the same thing. Taking me to the landing page and not opening, doesn't matter, I got the gist of the story from the link that SE posted.

Try this then scroll down to the story "Thai Shock for melb Duo"

http://www.3aw.com.au/

Got it thanks.

Re your comment about it being all over the news in Australia. I think people would let stories about tuk tuk and jet ski scams woosh over their heads. Not this one though.

The idea of this becoming a new scam is sickening and terrifying for many. It's one thing to be scammed for a few hundred / thousand baht, something else to land with a drug charge against you.

This is repulsive. What a shock it must be to that couple.

Agree the jet ski and tuk tuks are nothing, The Corby incident in Bali is springing into the minds of a lot of aussies. For those that don't know Shappele Corby is an Australian who copped 20 yrs in a Bali prison for hooch that was allegedly planted in her luggage

trouble was corby,s family were all involved in the drug trade, the dope she was caught with had the same dna as the dope her father grew, she refused to let aussie police do any testing on the bag concerned and she had done it before. There is also a chance that she took the fall for her younger brother, with a family like hers she knew about the drugs in the first place and took her chances.

• Like 2

I travel frequently on business and I buy yellow coloured plastic electrical cable ties which I use to lock my bags, they are easily seen on the bag and the likelyhood of someone having these at an airport would be minimal, so my bags come through and they are missing, then I know my bags have been opened.

I have been doing the same for a few years now, also make sure I leave the tails on so I can see them as the bag is heading my way.

I am having doubts about this story! they would have had to fly from Don Muang to Phuket, at DM you have to go through security screening on entering the airport, your luggage goes through their x-ray machine before you get to check-in! I would have thought they might have mentioned that in the radio interview, for some obvious reasons! Also I would have thought they would have noticed the damaged luggage at that time, not when checking in?

It would have been a perfect time for the scam artist or airport security to nab them.

Seems odd they would fly to Phuket to be scammed when by their account the drugs were planted in the luggage at the hotel in Bangkok. Also if I remember the security at Phuket domestic arrivals is none existent, i.e. you claim your baggage but there are not customs checks.

but that's my opinion.

• Like 1

UPDATE:

BANGKOK: -- A Melbourne couple say they were fortunate not to have fallen victim to tough Thai drug laws after marijuana was planted in their luggage.

About to check in for a flight from Phuket to Bangkok, the couple noticed their bags were overweight, but it wasn't until they realised that one of the bags was missing a lock that they thought something was strange.

We spent two days in Bangkok washing all our clothes and changing our suitcases just to make sure we didn't have any more marijuana on us.

"Georgia" told radio station 3AW on Monday that not only was the lock missing but part of her boyfriend's suitcase had been cut through.

They took their bags to a nearby hotel and, after a search, found marijuana in a small pocket of a bag inside Georgia's suitcase.

Full story: http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-incidents/aussie-couple-in-bangkok-bagtamper-drug-scam-scare-20130826-2skug.html

-- THE AGE 2013-08-26

They were checking in at HKT, thought something was amiss and quickly checked into a nearby hotel (near HKT airport?). They found a handful of weed, called the embassy and were told to get rid of it and their bags. They were still afraid of remaining traces being found .... but they waited until they got to BKK to change the cases and wash their clothes?

I you listen to the woman tell the story she says they were going to catch a flight from Bangkok to Phuket. They didn't leave Bangkok and were still there this morning when 3AW spoke to her on the phone. The woman sounds like a decent everyday aussie definitely not a bogan.

The way I read it is that they had flown from Phuket to Bangkok and were in a Bangkok hotel awaiting their flight to Australia. It was before they checked in to the flight from BKK that they noticed the tampering and they are assuming that their bags must have been tampered with in the Bangkok hotel, while they took a walk.

I'm with those who think the story is full of holes. If they had been set up when was the sting supposed to happen? It must have been pretty obvious to the tamperer that they would have noticed that their locks were broken and the bag cut, before they checked in. If it was a real set-up why didn't the bad guys pounce before they got to the airport?

well if you listen to the radio interview you will hear from the woman's own mouth that they were boarding a plan in Bangkok for Phuket

UPDATE:

-- THE AGE 2013-08-26

the way you read it?, you obviously havent read it at all or simply cannot understand english very well so I will write this very slowly, they were going to fly from Bangkok to Phuket, not from Phuket to Bangkok. They never got onto their flight!!!!!!!!

As customs and security are allowed to open and check bags I do not lock mine. That way the locks will not be cut of

or bag cut open. I have had notices placed in my bag that they have been opened and checked in both Canada and the US.

This would be your worst nightmare in Thailand and surrounding countries were drug laws are so extreme. It is clearly

not a case of secret commercial drug mule shipments. So you can do the math and reach your own conclusion.

There have been a couple of cases in Canada of errors while training sniffer dogs. Drugs planted in bags that the dog

handlers/trainers forgot to remove. Very embarrassing for the RCMP. (Royal Canadian Mounted Police)

The thing missing from this article is if the couple packed their own bags, when the locks were "locked", when they noticed the locks were missing, and if the couple were in possession of their luggage the whole time that the bags were locked. They obviously were not if the locks were cut, but establishing this would quickly narrow down the places and periods of time which the locks could have been cut and who would have been responsible.

If you located such items in your luggage at the airport and you declared it, would one still be charged with possession? My concern is that in the Kingdom there would be little consideration given to honest declaration, which I am sure has caused huge complications for some in the past who are forced to traffic drugs by international drug gangs but do not want to.

My initial thoughts too.

I pack my bags at home and add a small lock. From home to check-in the bags are never out of my sight so they cannot be tampered with.

With this couple, where were their bags allegedly tampered with?

Is this some story made up? Maybe there is some detail missing because you check your bags before you leave the hotel or wherever you are staying and before check-in at the airport.

Why did they miss their flight? You have ages after check-in to get the flight.

Sounds odd to me.

Well of course it would sound odd if you havent taken the opportunity to listen to one of the media bites freely available on this Thread!

The couple claim they deliberately missed their flight when they were informed one of their bags was overweight at Check-in and they reclaimed them in order to balnce their weight and then discovered the luggage had been TAMPERED with.

Feeling uncomfortable about turning out the contents in a public place , they SENSIBLY checked in to the Airport hotel , and on checking through the luggage found the 'pot'. It probably helped that they were frequent visitors to LOS and therefore more cautious than most.

The fact that they are unwilling to use their real names speaks a lot about whether they made it all up for attention seeking purposes. The rest of your post makes generalisations that everyone does the same as you ( or should) and doesnt deserve further comment...

• Like 2

UPDATE:

-- THE AGE 2013-08-26

In the radio interview I believe she says they were going TO Phuket FROM Bangkok, but it has been written as from Phuket to BKK.

• Like 1

the story is full of holes...

if i go from my hotel to airport to fly, there is little way someone will have chance to touch the bag before i check in.

not to mention to cut any locks, or such.

not to mention to be around to plant anything.

still, if i would find my bag tampered before check in, i wouldnt go to a local hotel to check in to check what happened, but check on the spot what is wrong.

could call the airport security or police, i dont see what it different from that calling police from the hotel.

there is no proof of anything here, just their words, so, i am a bit sceptic.

would bet these happen to be travellers in the younger age bracket, surprisingly...so, maybe just had a wild night party and forgot that they packed some for the afterparty too...and came late regret with the story to tell.

no one even saw there was a lock, really, <deleted>.

Yep it was just a big plan by these two to bring down Thailand and their tourism industry. Drugs would never ever be planted on anyone especially a tourist and the BIB definitely wouldn't kidnap Italians and try to extort money from them on fake claims of credit card fraud.

These two should be totally ashamed of themselves, they should have waited at least until they were caught with the drugs before coming up with this bullshite story.whistling.gif

and the story is indeed bullshite :)

not realizing in the hotel, if the bags were tampered with. missing lock, cut bag?

saying they realize when it was overweight at check in? what? a little bit of marihuana??

run to a hotel to check out what is going on? flight to miss for a missing lock?

in transit but leaving bag in hotel, not airport? what hotel anyway?

and when in hotel to look thru the bag, no one knocks that hey you got something is mine? if police, to set up, they would be the first in line, if criminals, you think they would just write down the loss that easy?

ahh, pls spare me.

this story just doesnt stand.

if still true, and innocent, they are some of the stupidest travellers.

• Like 1

Reminds me of a case a year or 2 ago when the authorities in (i think) Japan were planting drugs in unsuspecting baggage @ an airport in order to give their dogs a chance to find it.

It backfired spectacularly.

In June my sister-in-law and her daughter flew from US to BKK via Narita. At Narita the customs insisted on emptying all her bags (including carry-on) even though only transiting, with several officers going through multiple bags all at the same time. While she was distracted, Japanese customs officers helped themselves to USD$2k from her handbag, which she only realised once she arrived in BKK.

Never ever take your eyes off a customs inspection, no matter where you are.

and what was the response from Japanese officials when this theft was reported ?...did they investigate ?....CCTV all over airports, would be very easy to figure out who it was

I had the same sinking feeling awhile back coming back from the US. Got back to BKK and found the lock on my suitcase missing. And the strap I had tucked inside was missing. Got home and found a note from Homeland Security saying they had cut open the lock (never mentioned the strap they kept for themselves) and it was my problem if anything was stolen or missing. And what if someone put something INSIDE, as happened to these people, well, that was my problem, too. Get to Asia and get the death penalty for "smuggling" drugs, all because Homeland Security makes your suitcase a target of opportunity by cutting off the locks.

Other than taking a shot at Homeland Security (which certainly they deserve on occasion), I'm not sure I understand why you're complaining.

Was the lock you had on your suitcase at the time one of the TSA-approved variety, for which TSA agents supposedly have a master key that would allow them to open to conduct legitimate security checks?

If it was, then the TSA wouldn't have had any reason to cut open the lock. If it wasn't, in the current era, what would you expect to happen if you're flying internationally out of the U.S. with locked suitcases that the TSA doesn't have any other means to open to conduct security checks?

the way you read it?, you obviously havent read it at all or simply cannot understand english very well so I will write this very slowly, they were going to fly from Bangkok to Phuket, not from Phuket to Bangkok. They never got onto their flight!!!!!!!!

Sorry chief, I think it is you who needs to go back and re-read the article - slowly if you must - according to the article they were in Phuket.

According the radio they were in Bangkok going to Phuket.

There in lies the confusion.

Add in the Phuket Gazzette's article and it's anyone's guess where they were or where they were going to...

The hotel won't be named here in the media due to defamation and libel laws, it might become known in the Australian media, should the couple in question let it slip.

I think the Hon. Khun Surapong Tovichakchaikul will be calling on H.E Mr James Wise for a "please explain"...

and the story is indeed bullshite smile.png

not realizing in the hotel, if the bags were tampered with. missing lock, cut bag?

saying they realize when it was overweight at check in? what? a little bit of marihuana??

run to a hotel to check out what is going on? flight to miss for a missing lock?

in transit but leaving bag in hotel, not airport? what hotel anyway?

and when in hotel to look thru the bag, no one knocks that hey you got something is mine? if police, to set up, they would be the first in line, if criminals, you think they would just write down the loss that easy?

ahh, pls spare me.

this story just doesnt stand.

if still true, and innocent, they are some of the stupidest travellers.

Errr... Ummm.... What?

blink.png

• Like 2

The thing missing from this article is if the couple packed their own bags, when the locks were "locked", when they noticed the locks were missing, and if the couple were in possession of their luggage the whole time that the bags were locked. They obviously were not if the locks were cut, but establishing this would quickly narrow down the places and periods of time which the locks could have been cut and who would have been responsible.

If you located such items in your luggage at the airport and you declared it, would one still be charged with possession? My concern is that in the Kingdom there would be little consideration given to honest declaration, which I am sure has caused huge complications for some in the past who are forced to traffic drugs by international drug gangs but do not want to.

IT'S every traveller's worst nightmare. An Australian couple have told of their lucky escape after they fell victim to a drug scam in Bangkok that saw their bags tampered with.

A woman identified as 'Georgia' told radio station 3AW the pair were about to board their flight from Bangkok to Phuket when they were informed their bags were overweight.

So the couple, from Melbourne, said they went to rearrange their suitcases and noticed the straps had been cut and locks broken.

Edited by Scott
Edited for Fair Use

They have been lucky. If it would be me, I would have checked the bags in the toilets, because I would be worried about missing the flight.

Although, I ever had bad luck with opening my luggage in the toilet of the airport:

I ever took some modern looking, decorative (random shape) piece of Crystal glass into my suitcase and wrapped it into an empty box of cement glue. In the airport in my country they noticed a symbol on the box saying it contained a chemical product. I had a very hard time explaining to them it was just an empty box and finally they let me pass with the box in my handluggage. I was thinking by myself, I am going to get problems for sure with this when I arrive in Thailand. So, I thought I was smart and went to the toilet and teared the chemical symbol out of the paper box and flushed it down the toilet. So, I was sure I would have no problems in Thailand.

Wrong thinking.

When arriving in Thailand there was a huge black spot on the X-ray where the crystal glass was. People were called for assistance, and they said I might have been hiding something. The problem is crystal glass contains lead and lead doesn't let x-ray pass. In other words: lead can be used to hide things on x-rays. So, the officer opened my luggage and found the box. Then they saw I teared a piece of paper out of the box. They said I removed the price. They started discussing this. At that time I couldn't speak Thai. I explained to them in English it was an empty box of cement glue. They didn't understand me at all and were really annoyed by me taking the "price" (dangerous chemical symbol) out the box. After calling a superior officer, who was in a good mood, they let me go - without paying anything.

Another time, I forgot a knife in my hand lugguage. They say this on the x-ray. I was asked to open the luggage, but they couldn't find the knife. So, they scanned again, and again the knife was there. They asked me to removed it, but I couldn't find it. So, they called other people to check, that also couldn't find it. They finally let me pass, with the "knife" in my hand luggage. When I arrived at home, I found the knife in my luggage, it had cut through the cloth of the luggage and it hidden between two layers of cloth.

Edited by kriswillems

UPDATE:

-- THE AGE 2013-08-26

Huh? Bangkok customs would have been the ones to make the arrest. They avoided Bangkok customs by going to the Hotel

This is all over the Australian media at the moment and more damaging publicity for Thailand. Remarks also about the corruption that is rife in Thailand and the BIB are getting a good mention in dispatches.

The media will be all over this. I heard one report in Oz this morning that made a comparison to the Schapelle Corby case.

The Corby girl was absolutely guilty as sin....................just made Asians look bad to cover there own stupidity

• Like 1

Huh? Bangkok customs would have been the ones to make the arrest. They avoided Bangkok customs by going to the Hotel

Yep, think it's absolutely panic stricken bull****. Innocent people thinking some evil force is out there to do them harm. Working in tourism and having flown countless and more often than not dodgy flights I may have had my bags tampered with but never ever had anything added to my bags.