'Drugs planted on Australian couple' in Thailand

webfact

A real worry when this happens and makes you wonder how simple it might be for anyone to be "set up."

Speaking the obvious to say that it is bad for the image of Thailand abroad, so I just hope the Thai Authorities can nab the criminals who were responsible and get the locked up as quickly as possible.

Then we have to wonder if the Australian News Media will be a s quick to be "all over" the story of the guilty ones being dealt with. Sadly, (and as an Australian Journalist,) I'm ashamed to say, I think not.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no evidence that the drugs were planted to demand a bribe from the victims. Using unsuspected travelers is a well known way to smuggle things. A scarry expeirence nonetheless, as the consequences for them when caught would have been very serious.

You think it was a gift?

It was a handful of weed. That is not someone trying to use someone's bag for smuggling.

I have to agree.

Not exactly a drugs haul of the century was it? And quite frankly hardly worth the effort to plant these drugs in the first place.

The woman suspects there may have been fake customs officers and police at the airport.

To be honest we will never know if this story is BS or not, the reality is that anyone could make this up just to obtain some attention and free publicity.

Difficult to assume anything in this case.

On the contrary, it's a potentially very easy money-maker for a pittance of outlay and likely kept somewhat under the radar. Also, this is Thailand where everyone seems to know everyone else, such that a scheme of this nature is child's play.

Either way, bit of a risky way for publicity, what, though unsurprising that you would tow this line. saai.gif

OK then, here is a couple of genuine questions:

If someone plants drugs into the cases of unsuspecting innocent tourists, how does the person or people who planted the drugs make money out of it, how does this scam work? I really have no idea. I am sure someone at the other end doesn`t approach the woman and say; excuse men madam, may I have my drugs back please?

I have never in my whole life had dealings with drugs. The woman during the radio interview stated that the drug was marijuana. I have never seen marijuana and wouldn`t know the difference by sight, between this and any other types of drugs. So how would anyone who has never had dealings with drugs know what they were?

Everyone in Thailand has one relative in the police force. Just get him to wait at the airport and tap you on the shoulder. Follow me sir.

At the end of it, you are in possession of drugs.

Considering the recent case of the Italian tourists who were held to ransom by the police in the ATM card scam, yes, I can well believe this is possible now.

It makes one wonder, if this story is fact? How often this has happened before and how many innocent victims are now serving time in Thai prisons. This is all very frightening.

If this trend continues and the police and Thai authorities fail to protect the tourists from scammers, extortionists and other crimes committed against them, then eventually this will really bugger up the tourist industry for Thailand. And quite frankly I hope it does.

The question now is; who`s going to be the next victim on the list.

Moral of the story is:

1. don't have checked in luggage when you travel, or

2. if you do, use a suitcase that has a lock only immigration can open with a master key, so that no one can stash any drugs in it after it has been locked. Assuming immigration would not stash any drugs in it, as they are on CCTV. Or,

3. if you use another type of suitcase, such as with zippers & a lock anyone could easily open, don't leave it with the hotel while you go out for a walk, or otherwise ever let it out of your sight till it has been checked in. Or

4. if you do let it out of your sight, check that nothing has ben stashed in it before arriving at the airport, or at least that it hasn't been cut open or had the lock broken or otherwise tampered with.

• Like 1

@Beetlejuice post #178

"So how would anyone who has never had dealings with drugs know what they were"?

Her Boyfriend being a Victorian Police Officer certainly would. Spreading right through the Vicpol grape vine at the moment and the guy his going to cop some ribbing when he gets back.

The scheme presumes someone on the other end is involved. Thais should break this baggage handling racket. And we all know that schemes like this don't operate unless they get the go ahead from Mr. Thai Bigs. Any scheme, hustle, and crime in Thailand has Mr. Thai Big involvement, everyone knows that, yet we never see a true Mr. Thai Big hauled off in handcuffs. No Thai banker money launderers, no Thai narcotics trafficker financiers network bosses.

Mr. Thai Bigs are untouchable and the world knows this. The world knows what Thais are up to in human trafficking, counterfeit intellectual property. The Thais operate as if they are slick and fooling everyone.

Very Frightening Story Indeed .. They are not inexperienced travellers either , have left bags in Hotel Lobby's on numerous occasions .

There was a similar Story Some years ago , with Australians travelling to Phuket Via Bangkok , finding a Bag of white Powder in the Bags . They were advised by the Embassy to Ditch the Powder on the Beach ..get rid of all their Clothes ..Pack up and Leave immediately , on the first day of their holdiday .

This is Nightmare Type Stuff , and Really Lock or No Lock ..As you are Travelling How could you possibly monitor this kind of stuff ? Its an extreme concern that this kind of thing is going on .

Moral of the story is:

1. don't have checked in luggage when you travel, or

2. if you do, use a suitcase that has a lock only immigration can open with a master key, so that no one can stash any drugs in it after it has been locked. Assuming immigration would not stash any drugs in it, as they are on CCTV. Or,

3. if you use another type of suitcase, such as with zippers & a lock anyone could easily open, don't leave it with the hotel while you go out for a walk, or otherwise ever let it out of your sight till it has been checked in. Or

4. if you do let it out of your sight, check that nothing has ben stashed in it before arriving at the airport, or at least that it hasn't been cut open or had the lock broken or otherwise tampered with.

All good Points ..But Point 3 is extremely difficult , especially if a Couple of Heavy bags are involved , and you are Coming or Going from a destination . And really , difficult after a Long Flight .

The best way would be Carry On Only ..much easier in many Ways . Travel Light . So easy to get into Any Bag . It was really this guys Job , as he was naturally suspicious that got them out of this .

Post # 178 ....

I commend you on not knowing what a Stick or bag of Dope looks like , but ones life would have to be reaonably sheltered to not know This , I certainly do and I dont smoke anything . So lucky it was not your Bag .

How does the Scam work ? ..Generally a " Fake " officer at the other end ..Can happen at any time after you land , the bags are marked , you are followed you could be picked up at Airport or at point of final destination ...Then you are told you Must Pay , or I call the Police ..You get 10 years ..etc etc .

Hi to all,

First of all let me comment on the feedback I have been reading regarding the incident that took place in Bangkok. My name is Andrew I am the brother in law of Georgia who experienced this awful ordeal with her boyfriend. I have read many comments both sceptical and opinionated from many people of the public. I can only say that the incident that took place is true and correct as Georgia explained it. There are many thing's that wasn't mentioned in the Neil Mitchell interview on 3AW that led to questions raised that should have been and will be raised tonight on "A Current Affair"
Although Georgia was obviously nervous "I quote" She said she was leaving Thailand to Bangkok which is in fact the other way around. Hotel staff and the driver of the taxi that was transferring them to the airport were acquaintances of the scam and god knows what would have happened if it weren't for Georgia's boyfriend who is more switched on. Hopefully many questions and doubts raised by people of the public and this forum will have a more clearer understanding of the events that took place and come to a more supportive conclusion rather than criticism. Currently in law enforcement myself (Will not mention what) I can vouch for my sister-In-Law and her boyfriend when I say all is true and correct and will never wish this experience upon anyone. We as Australians need to alert future travellers to Thailand and stop these traps from happening or at least become more vigilant when travelling to these locations. I thank the Australian embassy and support of those who have kept an open mind and appreciate the support given by fellow Australians.

• Like 1

@Beetlejuice post #178

"So how would anyone who has never had dealings with drugs know what they were"?

Her Boyfriend being a Victorian Police Officer certainly would. Spreading right through the Vicpol grape vine at the moment and the guy his going to cop some ribbing when he gets back.

Hah... This just adds to the notion that this is BS...

Why is it the girlfriend doing all the talking? Was it actually hers and she forgot about it until the last minute and then went 'oh <deleted> I left a baggy in the front pocket, boyfriends a cop, we get caught he - as well as me - are going to be proper f**ked'

So gets on the offensive, convinces her boyfriend it's a setup, he being a cop thinks '<deleted> I'm not going down for this, I'm a cop, I'll call the AFP at the embassy and let them know what's gone down and they'll give me a heads up on what to do'

Bags are dumped, clothes washed and re-washed - to be sure like - new bags acquired and we'll carry on.

Guess it all blew up when one of their family members went to the media and leaked the story.

Now that I've solved that case, I'm off to see a certain former DPM, we had a friendly wager to see who'd solve the case first. He's a sport though, we'll probably go double or nothing by guessing the first initial of her name

:P

UPDATE:
Airport drug-scam allegation puzzles authorities

Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_The_Australian_couple_said_th
The Australian couple said they discovered the marijuana in their bags after being collared for their luggage being overweight. Photo: gronico / Wikipedia

PHUKET: -- An Australian couple who told the Australian media that their luggage was tampered with and marijuana planted in it as they were leaving Bangkok may not have been telling the truth, the Phuket Gazette has found.

Georgia (not her real name) told an Australian radio station (see here) that she and her boyfriend believe they were being set up to be scammed by corrupt Thai customs officials.

When the couple checked in at Suvarnabhumi International Airport for their flight to Phuket, Georgia said, they learned that their luggage was overweight and were told to either lighten the suitcase or pay a fee.

They decided to leave the airport and go to a nearby hotel to repack the bag, at which point they noticed damage to two of their bags – on one, the lock was missing, and another had been cut through. On closer examination, they say, they found a handful of marijuana in a small bag in one of the suitcases.

After they discovered the marijuana, they contacted the Australian Embassy in Bangkok for advice, Georgia reported to the radio station and also to the Australian national daily, The Age.

The embassy, Georgia said, advised them to throw away the contraband and change their travel plans for their own safety.

However, when contacted by the Gazette today, the Australian Embassy in Bangkok stated that it had no knowledge of the conversation.

“We have not received any reports of this kind. This is the first I have heard of it,” an embassy staffer stated.

“We would not give such advice,” said the staffer, “we would advise them to follow legal processes.”

Further doubt was cast by officials at the airport.

The scenario described by Georgia was unlikely, said Phuket Airport Customs Law Enforcement Sub-Division Chief Chainarong Phutharutsu.

“Generally if there is anything wrong with some luggage, the staff at the x-ray point will discover it and ask us to investigate,” he said.

Chief Chainarong advised on how to protect against such scams.

“To keep your belongings safe, you should lock your luggage before leaving your hotel, since it’s likely to be out of your hands during transit,” he said.

“Keep your bags with you at all times when you travel, or have someone watch them for you, even in the airport area. We always warn passengers not to leave their belongings alone,” he added.

“Don’t trust strangers who offer to help you with your luggage or watch it while you are away,” he warned.

“If you suspect you were scammed, you should report it to us or the Tourist Police,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Airport-drug-scam-allegation-puzzles-authorities-22088.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-08-27

UPDATE:

Phuket Gazette

The Australian couple said they discovered the marijuana in their bags after being collared for their luggage being overweight. Photo: gronico / Wikipedia

PHUKET: -- An Australian couple who told the Australian media that their luggage was tampered with and marijuana planted in it as they were leaving Bangkok may not have been telling the truth, the Phuket Gazette has found.

Georgia (not her real name) told an Australian radio station (see here) that she and her boyfriend believe they were being set up to be scammed by corrupt Thai customs officials.

When the couple checked in at Suvarnabhumi International Airport for their flight to Phuket, Georgia said, they learned that their luggage was overweight and were told to either lighten the suitcase or pay a fee.

They decided to leave the airport and go to a nearby hotel to repack the bag, at which point they noticed damage to two of their bags – on one, the lock was missing, and another had been cut through. On closer examination, they say, they found a handful of marijuana in a small bag in one of the suitcases.

After they discovered the marijuana, they contacted the Australian Embassy in Bangkok for advice, Georgia reported to the radio station and also to the Australian national daily, The Age.

The embassy, Georgia said, advised them to throw away the contraband and change their travel plans for their own safety.

However, when contacted by the Gazette today, the Australian Embassy in Bangkok stated that it had no knowledge of the conversation.

“We have not received any reports of this kind. This is the first I have heard of it,” an embassy staffer stated.

“We would not give such advice,” said the staffer, “we would advise them to follow legal processes.”

The scenario described by Georgia was unlikely, said Phuket Airport Customs Law Enforcement Sub-Division Chief Chainarong Phutharutsu.

“Generally if there is anything wrong with some luggage, the staff at the x-ray point will discover it and ask us to investigate,” he said.

“To keep your belongings safe, you should lock your luggage before leaving your hotel, since it’s likely to be out of your hands during transit,” he said.

“Keep your bags with you at all times when you travel, or have someone watch them for you, even in the airport area. We always warn passengers not to leave their belongings alone,” he added.

“Don’t trust strangers who offer to help you with your luggage or watch it while you are away,” he warned.

“If you suspect you were scammed, you should report it to us or the Tourist Police,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Airport-drug-scam-allegation-puzzles-authorities-22088.html

pglogo.jpg

And the damage control machine swings into action. Pass me the fairy dust.

• Like 1

UPDATE:

Phuket Gazette

pglogo.jpg

And the damage control machine swings into action. Pass me the fairy dust.

The damage control seems to be coming from the Australian embassy Chooka. I think I said in an earlier post that for an embassy to give advice, that they were alleged to have given (not to report it, ditch the drugs and suitcase) would have been extremely un-professional to say the least, and probably classed as aiding and abetting as worst case scenario.

This whole episode, to me anyway, seems to have started with a 'story' to family and has spiraled out of control by the media.

At least, that is what I would like to believe. If the alleged 'setup' is actually true, then that is another scary level of corruption that the traveler to Thailand will have to deal with. Either that or change holiday location.

The actual advice given by the police seems reasonable.

• Like 1

I most definitely do not wear rose coloured glasses, I probably tend a bit to the other side.

But this story is so full of holes it simply doesn't make sense.

And now the denial by the Oz embassy.

My observations are:

- They went all the way to the check in counter, where their bags are found overweight, and only then discover the tampering. Possible, but not very likely.

- They then decide to go to a hotel, pay for a room, check in and check their bags. Sorry, unlikely, this means expensive, likely miss flight etc. Normal people would have checked on the spot, careful people might have gone to a toilet booth to check. People go to the toilet with their luggage all the time in airports.

- If they were set up, with the drugs being put in their bags in the hotel, my guess is that they would have been "arrested" on the way to the airport. Much easier on the scammers, much less oversight from other officials etc.

To be scammed like that at an airport (don't forget, they made it all the way until luggage check in), would mean they would have to get caught and booked officially at an international airport, lots of media coverage so very little chance for a quick, big, under the table pay-of. If they would have been going to get scammed at the airport, they would have been pulled apart before managing to check in their luggage.

My guess, same story as the Ozzie girl claiming to have been raped a while back...All made up...

I think this couple, if still in Thailand, are going to go through a whole new adventure of interrogation, as with the denial of contact by the Australian embassy this will lead to them being picked up and questioned, if this hasn't already happened.

Just sayin'

• Like 1

I most definitely do not wear rose coloured glasses, I probably tend a bit to the other side.

But this story is so full of holes it simply doesn't make sense.

And now the denial by the Oz embassy.

My observations are:

- They went all the way to the check in counter, where their bags are found overweight, and only then discover the tampering. Possible, but not very likely.

- They then decide to go to a hotel, pay for a room, check in and check their bags. Sorry, unlikely, this means expensive, likely miss flight etc. Normal people would have checked on the spot, careful people might have gone to a toilet booth to check. People go to the toilet with their luggage all the time in airports.

- If they were set up, with the drugs being put in their bags in the hotel, my guess is that they would have been "arrested" on the way to the airport. Much easier on the scammers, much less oversight from other officials etc.

To be scammed like that at an airport (don't forget, they made it all the way until luggage check in), would mean they would have to get caught and booked officially at an international airport, lots of media coverage so very little chance for a quick, big, under the table pay-of. If they would have been going to get scammed at the airport, they would have been pulled apart before managing to check in their luggage.

My guess, same story as the Ozzie girl claiming to have been raped a while back...All made up...

Has the Embassy denied it? What is written in the Gazette is hearsay. Where is the link to the spokesperson? For this comment to have any credibility they would have said, Embassy spokesperson Mr/Miss XXXXX stated XXXXXXX. They have probably spoken to the thai on the switchboard who says she knows nothing of it. This not just a general inquiry but an international incident involving the Embassy. The Australian Dept of Foreign Affairs (Embassy) have been implicated in an incident so they would definitely assign an official spokesperson to either deny or confirm that they have spoken to the women. Maybe they said they can't confirm it at the moment and will make further inquiries and a reporter has taken this as denial and ran of to the printers.

• Like 2

I think this couple, if still in Thailand, are going to go through a whole new adventure of interrogation, as with the denial of contact by the Australian embassy this will lead to them being picked up and questioned, if this hasn't already happened.

Just sayin'

My guess is that the Australian Federal Police office at the embassy will want to have a word with them.

It is believable such a thing could happen in Thailand and their account was believable at first but I'm beginning to lean the other way now. What a fright might it be to realise, only after you've thrown your bags on the weigh belt, that you've accidentally left something in there? Or, even more disturbing to discover (only after you've checked into a hotel simply to repack because your bags were overweight) that there was miraculously something in there you didn't know about?

Just a thought.

Edited by Songhua
  • Like 1

Hi to all,

First of all let me comment on the feedback I have been reading regarding the incident that took place in Bangkok. My name is Andrew I am the brother in law of Georgia who experienced this awful ordeal with her boyfriend. I have read many comments both sceptical and opinionated from many people of the public. I can only say that the incident that took place is true and correct as Georgia explained it. There are many thing's that wasn't mentioned in the Neil Mitchell interview on 3AW that led to questions raised that should have been and will be raised tonight on "A Current Affair"

Although Georgia was obviously nervous "I quote" She said she was leaving Thailand to Bangkok which is in fact the other way around. Hotel staff and the driver of the taxi that was transferring them to the airport were acquaintances of the scam and god knows what would have happened if it weren't for Georgia's boyfriend who is more switched on. Hopefully many questions and doubts raised by people of the public and this forum will have a more clearer understanding of the events that took place and come to a more supportive conclusion rather than criticism. Currently in law enforcement myself (Will not mention what) I can vouch for my sister-In-Law and her boyfriend when I say all is true and correct and will never wish this experience upon anyone. We as Australians need to alert future travellers to Thailand and stop these traps from happening or at least become more vigilant when travelling to these locations. I thank the Australian embassy and support of those who have kept an open mind and appreciate the support given by fellow Australians.

Is there any third party witnesses to corroborate the story ?

Story should be a good little earner for your sister in law.

Or, even more disturbing to discover (only after you've checked into a hotel simply to repack because your bags were overweight) that there was miraculously something in there you didn't know about?

But then why go public about it and create all this fuss? Doesn't add up.

• Like 2

Anybody who believes this case or any others will seriously affect tourism in Thailand is delusional. With the exception of world wars there has never been any one incident or incidents that have greatly affected tourism to the degree that the host nation needed to do something about it.

Hurricanes, major epidemics, mass rape, civil wars have not detracted people so why in the world would this incident have any major impact on tourists.

Most people will read this article and say wow crazy sh*t happening....all the while packing their bags for their flight to Phuket

As unfortunate as this incident is it is just another reminder to be safe. Every airline asks you have you been in contact with your bags since you packed them....and how many people just blindly throw their bags into the back of a tuk tuk or under a bus and just expect someone will transfer it or the porter who you paid 50baht to will carry it. Airlines ask this question to protect themselves in the case of law suits etc...it is the passengers responsibility to check their bags thoroughly after they have lost contact with them (ie...holding them in storage at a hotel or guest house while going shopping). Upon return one should immediately check their bags and note any problems to the authorities or their embassy.

As unfortunate as this incident is it is just another reminder to be safe. Every airline asks you have you been in contact with your bags since you packed them....and how many people just blindly throw their bags into the back of a tuk tuk or under a bus and just expect someone will transfer it or the porter who you paid 50baht to will carry it. Airlines ask this question to protect themselves in the case of law suits etc...it is the passengers responsibility to check their bags thoroughly after they have lost contact with them (ie...holding them in storage at a hotel or guest house while going shopping). Upon return one should immediately check their bags and note any problems to the authorities or their embassy.

Airlines stopped asking this question some time ago. They realised that nobody ever said they had left their bags unattended whether they had or not.

Post # 178 ....

I commend you on not knowing what a Stick or bag of Dope looks like , but ones life would have to be reaonably sheltered to not know This , I certainly do and I dont smoke anything . So lucky it was not your Bag .

How does the Scam work ? ..Generally a " Fake " officer at the other end ..Can happen at any time after you land , the bags are marked , you are followed you could be picked up at Airport or at point of final destination ...Then you are told you Must Pay , or I call the Police ..You get 10 years ..etc etc .

So why didn't the scammers follow through with their scam when they realised the couple had noticed the broken locks? And why only plant a small bag of weed?

Doesn't add up.

• Like 1

Kilos in a handbag would have been noticed, a few axtra grams not.

There would be no reason to search the persons, till they go through security at the airport. That is when their bags get checked. As it was a domestic flights there would be no custom checks, etc. Only security checks and that is where it would have been found out.

There is no evidence that the drugs were planted to demand a bribe from the victims. Using unsuspected travelers is a well known way to smuggle things. A scarry expeirence nonetheless, as the consequences for them when caught would have been very serious.

Seems a lot of effort to get a handful of marijuana down to Phuket.

Get real.

Seems a lot of effort to get a handful of marijuana down to Phuket.

Get real.

That statement was made when not all facts were known.