'Drugs planted on Australian couple' in Thailand

webfact

This story has more holes in it than my favourite underpants giggle.gif

In my opinion ( not that its worth much ) these 2 clowns are after their 5 minutes of fame .

Lets leave the airport and go to a hotel to repack the bags BULL <deleted> clap2.gif

Priceless cheesy.gif

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This story has more holes in it than my favourite underpants giggle.gif

In my opinion ( not that its worth much ) these 2 clowns are after their 5 minutes of fame .

Lets leave the airport and go to a hotel to repack the bags BULL <deleted> clap2.gif

Priceless cheesy.gif

Just how were these two people after their 5 minutes of fame? I think the guys training kicked in quite well.

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

If I worked for the Aussie embassy, I would have given the same advise - run, dump it, tell nobody, get out ASAP. Legally, any law-abiding citizen would 'do the right thing' and contact the police, report it and have it investigated. I doubt very much that it is standard protocol to advise people to intentionally break local laws; imagine the diplomatic row that would ensue. After giving such advise, would I admit to advising people to intentionally breaking the law? Three guesses.

This is very much on the lips of everyone in Australia at the moment, and it will be even more so when they get back (especially if they are photogenic, although I'm not sure about the rules regarding a police officer and publicity). It really doesn't matter that anyone here on TV is doubting their story or thinking it's full of holes; unlike the Shapelle Corby case which initially divided opinion, everyone in Aus is believing this couple. The sex tourists and backpackers will still come in droves, but the families and retirees will think twice.

As i see it the problem seems to be that it matters not if this story is true or false the whole world knows that officials in thailand be they immigration or rtp are not above these types of scams, And even if a phone call was made by the relevant thai officials to the australian embassy they are unlikely to admit telling the couple to dump it and change travel plans, equally the thai authorities report that there there was no contact would be viewed as unreliable given thai government officials penchant for telling lies.

It was a domestic flight, thus no customs. Only the security checks with x-ray machines.

If only a few grams, it will have been planted for a bribe.

This is correct!

Domestic has no Customs, only Security Checks with either X-ray of luggage or at times, a Researching of your luggage... As time is a well known time to try to distribute since you are already beyound Customs so good time to plant and opportunity for Bribe! As their arguement uppon finding would be just this. Why would we.. do this...? You know you are past Customs... "So you are guilty!" Now for a gift I can try to make this problem... "Go away..." Understand? I believe you.. But to get my Boss to look the other way... I need you to help me... {Wink... Wink...}

I wonder who thought up this Trap, and how to prove it unless you get your Bags Security checked 2nd time before checking them at ticket counter if you suspect issue. Or even just "Everyone! Overload the system. Get luggage searched 2nd time and get sealed with tag to show last person in luggage was.... I think if you overload system someone will get the picture!" Don't forget to take friendly Photo of Officers smiling as they do search!

I did this in BKK and when I got searched in Chiang Mai Memory Card in Camera was reformated... Little did they know original card was in my wallet! x-ray showed card there when I boarded, so they know there was card in camera too. To cheesy to ask to see card contents of one in my back pocket, would have absolutely shown there was something they were trying to hide... So they Balked!

Who is guilty here?

The Kidnapped Italians got a free holiday and a free hotel from the Thai police and so it seems the Aussies who love scamming decide to fake themselves as victims of wicked hideous crime so they can eat all that good Thai kindness but Thai people not stupid and know the Italians are real but the Aussies are faker scam liars looking for a free kangaroo meal

As customs and security are allowed to open and check bags I do not lock mine. That way the locks will not be cut of

or bag cut open. I have had notices placed in my bag that they have been opened and checked in both Canada and the US.

This would be your worst nightmare in Thailand and surrounding countries were drug laws are so extreme. It is clearly

not a case of secret commercial drug mule shipments. So you can do the math and reach your own conclusion.

There have been a couple of cases in Canada of errors while training sniffer dogs. Drugs planted in bags that the dog

handlers/trainers forgot to remove. Very embarrassing for the RCMP. (Royal Canadian Mounted Police)

Well you are mad then as it's the baggage handlers you need to watch first and foremost...always have a lock on my bag regardless of where I'm travelling..Italy especially after the s..t that' gone down there over the last year or so..two combination locks and a normal key lock..and that's only on my hand luggage!. motto..."TRUST NO ONE"!

The Kidnapped Italians got a free holiday and a free hotel from the Thai police and so it seems the Aussies who love scamming decide to fake themselves as victims of wicked hideous crime so they can eat all that good Thai kindness but Thai people not stupid and know the Italians are real but the Aussies are faker scam liars looking for a free kangaroo meal

A little racist and stereotyping, not all Aussies eat kangaroos. Harsh judgement when you have never met these people or know anything of them. The guy is actually a pretty good bloke who works hard for his community.

They might have made an enemy of somebody at the hotel, not necessarily the staff. This was obviously intended not as smuggling but to get them some cagetime, which seems an awfully personal attack on the couple. My own experience with hotel staff here in LOS is they are very humble and even if they didn't like you they wouldn't risk their jobs to set you up. My guess would be a fellow hotel guest who they had some altercation with and s/he plotted revenge for whatever reason.

So...hotel guest steals other guests bags from behind reception, cuts locks on bags, plants weed in bags,replaces the bags... on the offchance that they might get busted...vs.... Somebody working at hotel in cahoots with police/customs is trying to scam a few million baht...... ummmm...... did you just get off the boat old chap? cheesy.gif

You don't know the drugs were planted behind reception counter. The drugs may have been planted in the hotel room the couple were staying in. They might have been having a drinking session with the other guest who planted the drugs. There might have been a drunken disagreement over something, and that person might have planted the drugs in the bag in the hotelroom when the couple passed out drunk. You don't know. Your assumption that just because the bag was behind the hotel lobby counter, like many bags often are to avoid cluttering up the lobby and making it look untidy, you immediately assume it was the Thai staff, and not a foreigner staying at the hotel. And no I didnt get off any boat, I've been visiting Thailand since I was a baby and my Mum was backpacking with me here in 1973.

• Like 1

They might have made an enemy of somebody at the hotel, not necessarily the staff. This was obviously intended not as smuggling but to get them some cagetime, which seems an awfully personal attack on the couple. My own experience with hotel staff here in LOS is they are very humble and even if they didn't like you they wouldn't risk their jobs to set you up. My guess would be a fellow hotel guest who they had some altercation with and s/he plotted revenge for whatever reason.

So...hotel guest steals other guests bags from behind reception, cuts locks on bags, plants weed in bags,replaces the bags... on the offchance that they might get busted...vs.... Somebody working at hotel in cahoots with police/customs is trying to scam a few million baht...... ummmm...... did you just get off the boat old chap? cheesy.gif

You don't know the drugs were planted behind reception counter. The drugs may have been planted in the hotel room the couple were staying in. They might have been having a drinking session with the other guest who planted the drugs. There might have been a drunken disagreement over something, and that person might have planted the drugs in the bag in the hotelroom when the couple passed out drunk. You don't know. Your assumption that just because the bag was behind the hotel lobby counter, like many bags often are to avoid cluttering up the lobby and making it look untidy, you immediately assume it was the Thai staff, and not a foreigner staying at the hotel. And no I didnt get off any boat, I've been visiting Thailand since I was a baby and my Mum was backpacking with me here in 1973.

Thank god you are in safe hands, Tip....dont ever get the idea to travel here without your mother.

Any good scammer could plant the weed while he was inspecting the luggage. This story seems like a lot of trouble to go through for such a small chance of a successful scam.

I'm not saying they're lying (well, not all of them anyway), but there are any number of other explanations for the weed in their bag.

Or maybe they just told Mom a little whopper to explain why they stayed shacked up an extra day or two, and Mom called the media, and it snowballed from there. Tangled web and all.

Note to self: The taxi had a flat tire and that's why I missed the plane.

• Like 1

The link looks broken Webfact, page not found.

If there's any truth in this story that's both appalling and terrifying. That would be my ultimate travelers nightmare.

Incidentally I have noticed an increase in bags being tampered with. I went for four years without my bags being opened in transit and the last three trips have seen them opened. Customs are entitled to check the bags in transit, but I'd prefer if they put a sticker on the bag saying "Security checked and cleared in Glasgow/ Dubai / BKK" or whatever. I don't like the idea of nameless people rummaging around in my bags.

Link works for me.

In the 60's, planting drugs in luggage or hotel rooms was common. There were standard warnings about recheching bags and searching the hotle room befor settling down.

As for links - a friend in Hua Hin cannot get some of my links to work, but they always work for me...

Do you believe in THE story....cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Yes very much so

This seems believable to me as well. This story resonates with every basic fear a foreign tourist has about visiting a Third World country. Fear of corruption. Fear of entrapment. Fear of being cut off from any source of help. I know that if I found something planted in my suitcase, my FIRST reaction would be to get rid of it and remove every trace of it from my clothing and luggage. Taking it to the police is not just asking for trouble from extortionists, you are also placing yourself under control of forces with political agendas, national and international, beyond people's slightest inkling.

Thank god you are in safe hands, Tip....dont ever get the idea to travel here without your mother.

And always look both ways before crossing the road! giggle.gif

Also look up as ya never know who is coming from above.

And look down too, incase there is a sinkhole.

I met a drugs dealer in a bar once who boasted about planting his drugs going from Thailand to Malaysia as he sensed he was going to e searched. Even was laughing when he said the person he planted them on got searched - very scary.

there will be a full story on a current affair tonight

Does that add to or further detract the credibility of the story?

whistling.gif

I'll bet my 1st born the ACA story will be screened all over the thai news just like they did with the last A Current Affair show that didn't show Thailand in a very bright light (aussie woman killed on motorbike) Thai authorities jumped straight into action charging a thai with her death within 24 hours of the show going to air.

there will be a full story on a current affair tonight

Fair play to em, getting their story onto A Current Affair should net them about 20k....nice little earner I reckon.

I could go to a current affair and give them a story from hell about Thailand and nobody could prove it wrong, because the reputation of scamming is already there..just saying.

• Like 1

The Story was given for free for the public to become more aware and vigilant to these kinds of scams. Everyone needs to be more exposed to what is really happening in the real world rather than jumping to conclusions. Good on you both for sharing your story and thanks for you courage and honesty.

• Like 1

The Story was given for free for the public to become more aware and vigilant to these kinds of scams. Everyone needs to be more exposed to what is really happening in the real world rather than jumping to conclusions. Good on you both for sharing your story and thanks for you courage and honesty.

Bullshit it was, the only scam going on here is this pair of peanuts that concocted a story knowing dam_n well "ZOMG, I was planted with drugs in Thailand and almost scammed" is going to grab attention.......... and it certainly has done exactly that.

Edited by Spoonman

I most definitely do not wear rose coloured glasses, I probably tend a bit to the other side.

But this story is so full of holes it simply doesn't make sense.

And now the denial by the Oz embassy.

My observations are:

- They went all the way to the check in counter, where their bags are found overweight, and only then discover the tampering. Possible, but not very likely.

- They then decide to go to a hotel, pay for a room, check in and check their bags. Sorry, unlikely, this means expensive, likely miss flight etc. Normal people would have checked on the spot, careful people might have gone to a toilet booth to check. People go to the toilet with their luggage all the time in airports.

- If they were set up, with the drugs being put in their bags in the hotel, my guess is that they would have been "arrested" on the way to the airport. Much easier on the scammers, much less oversight from other officials etc.

To be scammed like that at an airport (don't forget, they made it all the way until luggage check in), would mean they would have to get caught and booked officially at an international airport, lots of media coverage so very little chance for a quick, big, under the table pay-of. If they would have been going to get scammed at the airport, they would have been pulled apart before managing to check in their luggage.

My guess, same story as the Ozzie girl claiming to have been raped a while back...All made up...

The Thai media says that the Aust Embassy denied it, but that is completely false and just made up by the media who did not investigate the incident.

Justin Brown from the Consulate Division publically says that he helped the couple. Can hear it from the horses mouth right here.

Drugs planted in couple's bag on Thai holiday

ninemsn staff
6:25pm August 28, 2013

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2013/08/28/18/25/couple-accused-of-drug-trafficking-on-thai-holiday

Edited by chooka
  • Like 2

Here is the story from A Current Affair.. (Television Show)

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2013/08/28/18/25/couple-accused-of-drug-trafficking-on-thai-holiday

Edited by chooka

I most definitely do not wear rose coloured glasses, I probably tend a bit to the other side.

But this story is so full of holes it simply doesn't make sense.

And now the denial by the Oz embassy.

My observations are:

- They went all the way to the check in counter, where their bags are found overweight, and only then discover the tampering. Possible, but not very likely.

- They then decide to go to a hotel, pay for a room, check in and check their bags. Sorry, unlikely, this means expensive, likely miss flight etc. Normal people would have checked on the spot, careful people might have gone to a toilet booth to check. People go to the toilet with their luggage all the time in airports.

- If they were set up, with the drugs being put in their bags in the hotel, my guess is that they would have been "arrested" on the way to the airport. Much easier on the scammers, much less oversight from other officials etc.

To be scammed like that at an airport (don't forget, they made it all the way until luggage check in), would mean they would have to get caught and booked officially at an international airport, lots of media coverage so very little chance for a quick, big, under the table pay-of. If they would have been going to get scammed at the airport, they would have been pulled apart before managing to check in their luggage.

My guess, same story as the Ozzie girl claiming to have been raped a while back...All made up...

The Thai media says that the Aust Embassy denied it, but that is completely false and just made up by the media who did not investigate the incident.

Justin Brown from the Consulate Division publically says that he helped the couple. Can hear it from the horses mouth right here.

Drugs planted in couple's bag on Thai holiday

ninemsn staff
6:25pm August 28, 2013

Good link. The doubters now have egg all over their face.