New rules for extensions of stay with expiring passport

My British passport expires in March 2015. In my ignorance what is the earliest I can apply for a new one?

I would apply 7-8 months prior to expiry. The unused months will be credited to the new passport.

Cheersthumbsup.gif

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My British passport expires in March 2015. In my ignorance what is the earliest I can apply for a new one?

I would apply 7-8 months prior to expiry. The unused months will be credited to the new passport.

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport

Is that the way the British system works? The American system works differently.

I had a U.S. passport that was valid thru Nov. 2013... And when I applied for and was issued a replacement in June this year, the new 10 year period started with June 2013 and continued 10 years onward.

No unused months credited in my case.

If I am understanding this all correctly, even if you renew your passport way before its expiry date, that effectively cancels the old passport which makes the existing extension invalid. Unless you can time the renewal of the passport to close to the exact date that you go for an extension of your visa, then there's going to be some time frame during which you are actually here illegally...unless of course you re-apply for the extension, pay the 1900 baht and jump through all the hoops when you receive your new passport. Is it worth the risk that someone in authority might ask to see your passport during that time and realize that you are not in compliance with the law?

No, getting a new passport doesn't automatically cancel an otherwise valid extension of stay in the "old" passport, so long as the old passport and its extension of have not yet reached their expiry dates.

A valid extension in an "old' but still unexpired passport remains valid -- even if a new passport has been issued early -- until the expiry of the extension itself and/or the "old" passport.

However, someone in that situation would need to keep that old passport that's yet to reach its expiry date, and the extension of stay stamp in it, until the stamp's either been transferred over to a new passport or a new stamp's been issued for the new passport.

I think this might be a question to ask of our Embassy. From my experience there is no such thing as an "old" passport that is still valid for use after a new one has been issued. The "old" passport if effectively invalidated and is clipped on the corner...which prevents it from being accepted for use. This is not something that I'd like to guess on, so we'd better get some confirmation from the Embassies.

W/e're not talking here about what the Embassies think or don't think, or whether an "old" (not yet expired date) passport can be used for other purposes such as international travel.

We're talking about what Thai Immigration will accept and their policy. And it's their policy that a still valid extension of stay in a still valid (meaning not yet reached its expiry date) passport -- even once a new passport already has been issued -- is considered valid for Thai Immigration purposes.

A few months ago, I obtained a new passport to replace my old passport that was to expire late this year, ahead of an upcoming retirement extension renewal. And when I was down at Bangkok Immigration, I discussed this very point at some length with one of the Immigration supervisors there.

Yes, my old passport had been hole punched by my Embassy here when they issued the new passport book to me. But as long as that "old" passport had not reached its expiration date as yet, Thai Immigration will accept any valid stamps in it as remaining valid.

In that case I will accept your explanation as valid; however, we all know that policies differ from office to office with the immigration authorities. So, we would each be wise to approach our local Immigration offices to see if they concur with this policy. Better to be safe than sorry!

Yea, the U.S. still gives you the letter automatically. I renewed my passport at the US Bangkok Embassy earlier this year a few months before it was to expire and approx. 10 days later I got an email I could come pickup my new passport. Went and picked the new passport up, they automatically give you the letter, and you get your old/cancelled with holes punched in it passport back. A week or so later I went to Bangkok Immigration and they transferred the retirement extension of stay info from the old to new passport and extend the extension of stay out to the full 12 months since they had only given me 6 months extension earlier since my passport was expiring in 6 month. Piece of cake...took one simple form and about 10 minutes...no fee then.

Lucky dog, Pib... You got in under the wire for the new rule... biggrin.png

Is that the way the British system works? The American system works differently.

I had a U.S. passport that was valid thru Nov. 2013... And when I applied for and was issued a replacement in June this year, the new 10 year period started with June 2013 and continued 10 years onward.

No unused months credited in my case.

Best talk to (what do you call them ) Congressman? smile.png

It is a clear rip off by the USA government !

No lost time on UK.passports. If renewed a few months early the time remaining is "credited" to the new passport .xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.4tUibSscbZ.webp

Citation please? Is this a new thing?

I'm on my 4th and usually renew mine because they're full, not because they're anywhere near expiry. The latest one expires exactly 10 years after it's date of issue (2008-2018), as did the one before that (2002-2012) and the one before that (1995-2005)...

"Credit" up to 9 months will be given.

Ah, something new... So when I renew mine again in a few months I'll get 10 years 9 months, not 15 years... Very generous of them... :-)

I think this might be a question to ask of our Embassy. From my experience there is no such thing as an "old" passport that is still valid for use after a new one has been issued. The "old" passport if effectively invalidated and is clipped on the corner...which prevents it from being accepted for use. This is not something that I'd like to guess on, so we'd better get some confirmation from the Embassies.

W/e're not talking here about what the Embassies think or don't think, or whether an "old" (not yet expired date) passport can be used for other purposes such as international travel.

We're talking about what Thai Immigration will accept and their policy. And it's their policy that a still valid extension of stay in a still valid (meaning not yet reached its expiry date) passport -- even once a new passport already has been issued -- is considered valid for Thai Immigration purposes.

A few months ago, I obtained a new passport to replace my old passport that was to expire late this year, ahead of an upcoming retirement extension renewal. And when I was down at Bangkok Immigration, I discussed this very point at some length with one of the Immigration supervisors there.

Yes, my old passport had been hole punched by my Embassy here when they issued the new passport book to me. But as long as that "old" passport had not reached its expiration date as yet, Thai Immigration will accept any valid stamps in it as remaining valid.

In that case I will accept your explanation as valid; however, we all know that policies differ from office to office with the immigration authorities.

So, we would each be wise to approach our local Immigration offices to see if they concur with this policy. Better to be safe than sorry!

I agree 100%. Always best to consult with one's local Immigration office to make sure you're playing by their rule book, which isn't always the same as everyone else's.

If any Immigration office is pursuing a different policy approach on this subject, I'd sure like to hear about it.

Does the Immigration dept., of any other country have so many changes and updates as the Thai Immigration ?

I don't remember many changes in last years ??

And this one may have an impact at worse every 10 years wink.png

And BTW, I it an "Immigration" change or just a "Bangkok office" change ?

You English guys are lucky in that.

For most other countries it will be an unused but paid period sad.png

When your new passport is issued then the old one is in effect canceled and canceling your extension to stay now. How do you avoid the fine/overstay?

Nope.

The extensions in your old passport are still valid.

Immigration will transfer them to you new passport.

Yes... I also confirm this, as I just recently went thru this process at BKK Immigration with my newly issued passport.

From what BKK Immigration advised, the retirement extension of stay I had in my old passport would remain valid as long as the old passport itself and the extension in it remained valid, even after my new passport had been issued.

I recently obtained my new passport about 6 months prior to the expiration of my old one, which was going to occur this November. The retirement extension in the old passport was going to expire a bit sooner in September (next month).

According to Immigration, even after holding my new passport, I could continue to rely on the retirement extension in my old passport as long as both the extension and the passport it was issued to had not expired/remained valid, which in my case would have been the September expiration of my extension.

In my case, after obtaining the new passport, I went to Immigration back in July and had them transfer my still valid retirement extension to my new passport, which they did at no-charge. But if I had wanted to wait, I could have simply kept my old passport with the valid extension and then applied for my new extension into the new passport anytime by September.

Thank you for that info.

My passport expires July 2014 and my visa extension expires Feb 2014. So, it sounds like I should go and get a new passport prior to the expiration of my current extension. Then there would be no need to transfer the old visa/extension to the new passport since the old passport and extension would still be valid. In Feb 2014, when I apply for my new 1 year extension, I do all the same things I've done in past years but also bring my old (still valid) passport with me to show my current visa/extension stamp. Then the new extension will be placed in the new passport.

This all sounds fairly easy for me to handle and no extra fees would be incurred if I start planning now for it.

My one question is, being from the USA, doesn't my old passport become invalid once the new passport is issued? I know that you submit the old passport when applying for a renewal and you have to ask in writing to have the old passport returned if you want to hold it. I have never done a renewal from outside the USA and so I'm a bit lost as to how the process works over here. Has anyone done a US passport renewal recently while living in Thailand that could share their experiences as far as procedure and the waiting time needed.

Thanks so much for this forum and all the helpful posts.

Sorry guys but still not understand this.

My paspoort is valid on 2015 januarie,i need to make a new 1 year visa on 17 september next month.Does this make a proplem for my 1 year visa reneval?

Ore i need to make a new paspoort before 17 september.

Thank you by forward

When your new passport is issued then the old one is in effect canceled and canceling your extension to stay now. How do you avoid the fine/overstay?

Nope.

Yes... I also confirm this, as I just recently went thru this process at BKK Immigration with my newly issued passport.

From what BKK Immigration advised, the retirement extension of stay I had in my old passport would remain valid as long as the old passport itself and the extension in it remained valid, even after my new passport had been issued.

I recently obtained my new passport about 6 months prior to the expiration of my old one, which was going to occur this November. The retirement extension in the old passport was going to expire a bit sooner in September (next month).

According to Immigration, even after holding my new passport, I could continue to rely on the retirement extension in my old passport as long as both the extension and the passport it was issued to had not expired/remained valid, which in my case would have been the September expiration of my extension.

In my case, after obtaining the new passport, I went to Immigration back in July and had them transfer my still valid retirement extension to my new passport, which they did at no-charge. But if I had wanted to wait, I could have simply kept my old passport with the valid extension and then applied for my new extension into the new passport anytime by September.

Thank you for that info.

My passport expires July 2014 and my visa extension expires Feb 2014. So, it sounds like I should go and get a new passport prior to the expiration of my current extension. Then there would be no need to transfer the old visa/extension to the new passport since the old passport and extension would still be valid. In Feb 2014, when I apply for my new 1 year extension, I do all the same things I've done in past years but also bring my old (still valid) passport with me to show my current visa/extension stamp. Then the new extension will be placed in the new passport.

This all sounds fairly easy for me to handle and no extra fees would be incurred if I start planning now for it.

My one question is, being from the USA, doesn't my old passport become invalid once the new passport is issued? I know that you submit the old passport when applying for a renewal and you have to ask in writing to have the old passport returned if you want to hold it. I have never done a renewal from outside the USA and so I'm a bit lost as to how the process works over here. Has anyone done a US passport renewal recently while living in Thailand that could share their experiences as far as procedure and the waiting time needed.

You need to schedule application on web site so do that early and then submit paperwork during visit - normally takes 10-12 days for US passport issue and yes old passport becomes invalid when you pick up the new one but any valid visas in old passport would remain valid for use if the issuing country allows (most including USA do).

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, if you have a UK passport you need to renew in Hong Kong, they don't require your original passport, just a photocopy.

So until you cut the corner off your old passport then it still "appears" to be valid.

So it should be just a matter of timing, what worries me more about this is are they planning a change in what you need to qualify for the extension?

Cause a lot of people like me who have the grandfathered eligibility could end up having to requalify under whatever new rules they bring in if we mess up the timing.

I think the last change to the marriage extension was about 11 years ago, when the cash in the bank went up to 400K from 250K, also, I think the UK will issue with an additional 9 months validity.

I had a new UK passport issued in China as mine was almost full, both passports were usable, they never clipped the corner and the nearly full one still had 5 years on it.

Edited by Briandajew

My paspoort is valid on 2015 januarie,i need to make a new 1 year visa on 17 september next month.Does this make a proplem for my 1 year visa reneval?

Thank you by forwar

If your passport is valid until January 2015 and you wish to obtain a new visa ( or do you mean extension) in September 2013 there is no need for concern.

Nope.

Thank you for that info.

You need to schedule application on web site so do that early and then submit paperwork during visit - normally takes 10-12 days for US passport issue and yes old passport becomes invalid when you pick up the new one but any valid visas in old passport would remain valid for use if the issuing country allows (most including USA do).

Perfect. I was hoping to just do the renewal and get my income letter from a consular outreach visit to Pattaya but the next one is coming up in a couple weeks (like 5 months before I need the letter for extension) and I don't see the schedule yet for 2014 to know if there will be one in January. Last year (2012) they came to Pattaya in Sept, then again in Nov, then again in late Feb 2013. This year I see the last scheduled outreach visit on Sept 6 and nothing else scheduled after that. Does anyone have any idea if they will come again in 2013 or if not, when will they come the first time in 2014?

Yes, that sounds like that's the best approach. And FWIW, I never wait until the very end of an extension, just to play on the safe side and give time should any unexpected problem arise. You can apply up to 45 days prior to the expiration of your current extension. And even if you apply early, they'll still start the new extension from where the old one left off.

As Lopburi answered above, your old passport is still valid for any extension stamps it contains up until the expiry date of the old passport.

For the U.S. Consulate in BKK, when I applied for a new passport earlier this year, I didn't have to ask anything special for the old passport to be returned. It just was done automatically. They did ask, though, whether I wanted a regular size one or one with extra pages for frequent travelers.

Lopburi also was correct about the process. Go to the BKK Consulate's website, and there's very clear instructions there about the process, links to the application form that needs to be filled out and printed, details of what kind of color photo you need to provide, the fee involved, etc etc.

Then, when you've got all your materials together or shortly before, go to their website to use the online appointment scheduling system to make your appointment to submit your application and pay the fee. After submission, assuming there are no problems, you'll usually get the new book back in about two weeks.

I believe you have a choice, you can either go back to the Consulate to pick up the new book after it's ready, or they'll send it to you. Once the new book is ready, they'll send you an email advising it's ready.

• Like 1

Perfect. I was hoping to just do the renewal and get my income letter from a consular outreach visit to Pattaya but the next one is coming up in a couple weeks (like 5 months before I need the letter for extension) and I don't see the schedule yet for 2014 to know if there will be one in January. Last year (2012) they came to Pattaya in Sept, then again in Nov, then again in late Feb 2013. This year I see the last scheduled outreach visit on Sept 6 and nothing else scheduled after that. Does anyone have any idea if they will come again in 2013 or if not, when will they come the first time in 2014?

Keep in mind the recent policy change by Thai Immigration that they now will accept consulate income letters for retirement extension purposes issued up to SIX MONTHS prior to submitting the extension application. It's no longer the short window it used to be.

Hopefully, the Immigration office you deal with is up to speed on the new national policy on this.

• Like 1

Well sure , changing the rules again and naturally me staying in the middle of it . I had information asked on this forum earlier and given the answers and the officer last month confirming the same . My extension will be stamped until my passport expires may 2014 , no problem , when getting new passport we transfer the extension and change the date to the regular one ....I was thinking to get my new passport in December , now I think I've to wait till at least March , loosing a couple of months .....keeping 400k 2months....and actually not able all year to drop under the 400k , which can be a problem on itself .....

So I wonder , can I wait until May before making a new appointment ?

And , if already having a new passport , do they require you to transfer it immediately or not , if yes rather difficult to make an appointment as I normally do ,

and what with your visa status , the embassy takes a few holes in it when they give out a new one , any problems with that regarding waiting a new extension till the old passport and extension date expires , anyone ?

questions questions .....Sept 2nd I'll go to get my new extension stamp approval till guess may 2014 ..........

In your case, it sounds like your marriage extension of stay for this year will end up having the same expiry date as your current passport, being May 2014.

If you obtain your new passport sometime before May 2014, the extension of stay stamp in your old passport will remain valid until both the extension and your passport expire in May 2014.

If you apply for the new extension this Sept 2 and receive it, it will be issued with less than 12 months remaining validity on your passport. Thus you'd appear to fall under the new Immigration rule, and will have to pay the new 1900 baht fee and show financial documention when you seek a new 12-month extension of stay for your new passport.

Thanks , I think you sum it up quite diligently how it probably works out . I expect them at imm , at least try to explain to me what to do next when I obtain a new passport somewhere between next week and May 2014 . In this regard if it turns out how you sum it up , I would not have to immediately transfer or in this new scenario make a new extension right away after obtaining my new passport ,because my extension is valid till May 2014 .

So lets say I have my new passport for 2 months , prior the validity date of my extension and (then old) passport , this is no problem ? If no problem , I will just lose a couple of months , and can make my planning accordingly , think its reasonable enough like this .

again thanks .

Edited by tijnebijn

lets say you go home and have e reentry permit in your passport. the passport is due for renewal so you renew it. what happens. do you have to apply for a non imm O before coming back . I have a few years left so it be sorted out by then (I hope)

Tijnebijn, the only issue would be...

if you apply for a new extension now/early September, then Immigration will issue the new extension only for the partial year period thru, in your case, May 2014.

Then, when you sometime before May 2014 get your new passport and want to apply for a new 12-month extension to carry you beyond May 2014, based on the new Immigration rule, they'll again at that point require you to pay the 1900 baht fee and provide your financial documentation again.

And what they gain from this more than money !!?? ok 1.900 bht peanuts compare to renual Swedish passport 6000 bht !!

What is your point ?

Yo always need a valid passport the cost of which has nothing do do with the Thai immigration officers/

lets say you go home and have e reentry permit in your passport. the passport is due for renewal so you renew it. what happens. do you have to apply for a non imm O before coming back . I have a few years left so it be sorted out by then (I hope)

You use both passports showing re-entry permit in old one. They will stamp your entry/permited to stay dates in your new one. Then go to immigration to have transfer done.

Thank you by forwar

If your passport is valid until January 2015 and you wish to obtain a new visa ( or do you mean extension) in September 2013 there is no need for concern.

Yes i need a new Non O visa ,

Hopefully Mario or Lite Beer is reading this.

On my visit to Phuket Immigration last week on a seperate matter ( A Certificate of Residency to go for a bike license) I was told I needed to transfer my Retirement Visa Extension stamp to my new passport.

My stamp was issued Jan 23 , 2013 (and expires 6 Feb 2014)in my old passport ( exp March 2014 ) and that passport was full , so the stamp needed to go into my new passport ( issued April 2013).

But after all the photocopies and application was done , ( no talk of a 'fee') I was asked for A LETTER FROM MY EMBASSY requesting the transfer of the stamp!

As much as I dont like to challenge anyone there , I inadvertantly did so by being puzzled , and was sent to the female 'boss' at the back , who verified that this was a new requirement , and showed me one from a Russian Embassy.

The Farang 'Tourist Police' helpers also had just heard of this , and said in passing , "We will have to let Larry Cunningham ( the local Australian Consul) know about this one.."

Back home I called him.

He was in disbelief.

He told me to call back this week , but so far his phone is not on.

Tomorrow I will revisit the TP there and see if I can find out more details..

My question is , "Has anybody heard about the requirement of a letter from your Embassy requesting 'a transfer of Stamp' ?

( Please note , my old passport isnt expired. It was just full of stamps and I carry the old and new together)

Inded off topic, but in short yes it is normal to ask for it. (Although many immigration offices do not ask for the letter). I have never been asked for the letter myself, but my new paspsort mentions that it is a replacement of my old passport and gives the number of my old passport.

Sorry for the 'off topic' but wish to thank LB and Mario for the replies.

It seems like its been around a while and odd my Consul hadnt come across it before but there you go.... maybe Phuket simply didnt request the letter in the past.

I will be renewing my passport in 2014 (my first renewal) Does the US Consulate keep your expired passport? The one with the current extension stamp in it? If they do keep the old one, is a copy of the page with the stamp valid for the next extension - because they want to see the expiring stamp.

No... the U.S. Consulate in BKK will return the old passport to you, when they issue you the new one. The old one will have two holes punched thru it.

Any extension stamp in the old passport remains valid as long as the stamp and the passport it's in haven't passed their expiration date -- even after the new passport has been issued.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Thank you by forwar

Yes i need a new Non O visa ,

You can go and get a new visa assuming you meet the requirements. You have a valid passport so no problem!