My girlfriend was struggling to divide 2 by 5

johnthompson

So I asked my girlfriend to divide 2 by 5 and she was struggling at it really took a while for her to get the answer. My girlfriend has a degree from ramkamhaeng university and is a car seller. She has to make calculations for her customers on a daily basis. This stuff is not even high school stuff.

Furthermore she doesn't know who Charles Darwin is. She knows nothing about western music before 2006. She sometimes does recognize some classic songs but she just doesn't know the artist or name of the song and very rarely. She doesn't even know anything about thailand. I told her that foreigners couldn't own land and she was surprised. And just tons of other stuff. People on TV know tons more about thailand than she does. Also she believes anything other people say.

Sometimes I feel like I am talking to a 6 year old kid trapped in a 30 year old woman body. Are thai people really this ignorant? If so I fear for their future and I fear that other foreigners are going to take advantage of them cause they believe anything I say. Also why do the younger generation know about songs after 06, 07 or 08 but before that they know nothing. Why around that time?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe there are problems with the quality of the average Thai teacher, but it is hard to generalize to include them all. Thailand seems to have a thriving economy despite the graft and corruption. That tells me there must be some street smarts somewhere. I've also seen some surprising lack of what I would call common knowledge. I've never been short changed in a bank. I'm sure we can all find isolated cases that would support your theory.

• Like 1

Must confess smile.png , the shop I buy beer at 40bht a bottle, 5 at a time, 200 bht. Done so for years. Still they use the calculator at all my purchases. biggrin.png

How many times a day would that be? Have they ever made a mistake? burp.gif

YES, they gave me toooooooooooo much change, BUT, being an honest guy, I gave it back. thumbsup.gif ............smile.png

• Like 1

I once had a Science teacher girlfriend in Australia. The curriculum used a motor car engine as an example for one section. She did not know what scientific laws she could teach by using the flywheel and had no idea of using Boyules law for the compression. In other words she was a science teacher without a clue. I do not know how much science her students learned.

Must confess smile.png , the shop I buy beer at 40bht a bottle, 5 at a time, 200 bht. Done so for years. Still they use the calculator at all my purchases. biggrin.png

They put new batteries in and hope for a better answer ? ;)

• Like 1

I have absolutely no problem with shop assistants using a calculator and showing me the result - how is that any different to someone racking it up in a till (with or without a barcode scanner) and asking me for the resulting amount ? I never walk into a shop thinking 'Hey, I bet I spent more years at school than these folks !'. When it comes to women, I'm not attracted to them on the basis of their ability to do basic arithmetic : 36-22-34 are about the only figures that interest me ....

• Like 2

So you are going out with a 30 year old dill.

Some people want nothing more than this. You clearly do.

Amazing that some guys would choose to be with a woman such as this, and then come on an anonymous forum to complain about it. This is why expats in Thailand get no respect.

So you are going out with a 30 year old dill.

Some people want nothing more than this. You clearly do.

Amazing that some guys would choose to be with a woman such as this, and then come on an anonymous forum to complain about it. This is why expats in Thailand get no respect.

Why ?

You would probably be amazed to know that prior to 1980, Thailand was in black and white! Really! Then someone imported the first colours and things gradually turn into coloured things.

It was documented in the 1998 film Pleasantville.

Western music was only introduced on the local radio stations in 2006

And maths have not been introduced here yet, the government has that in the master plan for 2017.

• Like 1

It could be worse. I could be dating one of those bar girls like most. But I guess here everyone is dating hi-so chinese thai people with ivy league degrees.

Of course I know my girlfriend isn't of the highest quality. I'd happily trade in my current gf for a hi-so chinese gf if someone can explain me how.

My ex wife had a degree from Thailand and a Masters from Australia but didn't know who Shakespeare, Bill Clinton or the Rolling Stones were. She sparked up when I said the Beatles but could not tell me a song or member of the band but she said she had heard the name. Btw she is 40 years old.

Thais are told from day one that everything they need is in Thailand and everything that is good comes from Thailand and are not taught or encouraged to look outside Thailand, so I suppose it is hardly suprising that they have no knowledge of popular culture from the West. That doesn't explain how " I wanna be a billionaire" assualts my ears everytime I go out though!!.

When I was teaching 74% of my group students (all adult learners) some of whom worked at GM thought the car was invented in Thailand.

on a lighter note:

I recently went into a 7/11 and bought 3 packets of sweets at 10 baht a packet. The girl worked it out on a calculator. I gave 40 baht and..... well you know the rest.

Edited by Sigurris
  • Like 1

I like to go into a 7 when it's not busy, get whatever I want and get the correct total together in my hand. When I give the girl the right money I wait for her to acknowledge that it's correct after she counts it, and give me a receipt because the expression on their face is priceless sometimes - it ranges from a huge smile to a totally blank, non-understanding stare. Some get it - some don't. w00t.gif

As an aside - I've never found the girls in the busy street market to be bad at maths - except in their favour occasionally !! whistling.gif

Edited by jpinx

OP:

After reading your post, where you openly criticize your girlfriend, even calling her stupid, my guess is she's only trying to make you think she is stupid, so you'll leave her alone and she can move on. Letting you save face and all ....

• Like 1

Did you ask your GF to divide 5 into 2, in Thai? Did she understand your question? I think they must learn fractions here in, what, M3?

If a Thai person asked me to divide five into two, in Thai, I would fail. Am I ignorant?

Thai students start to learn fractions on P-4.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app