House Insurance Company's

Nirvana

Hi

After quite a few years with one insurance company , placed a claim and have had one heck of a lot of trouble getting them to agree to pay anything out although covered originally.

Looking for recommendations / experiences with Insurance company's to cover house, storm damage etc within walled perimeter , break in etc in Samui.

Preferably some experience with company's that have actually paid out as they should do.

Its all fine insuring for 8 years on 3 houses until you make a single claim and its "avoid and no" way past the usual three "no's" before processing a valid claim.

From the customer service received would anyone recommend dealing with the BKK office direct rather than through a local broker in Samui

Thanks

Nirvana

The right bilingual dual citizen insurance broker on Phuket Island certainly can help you with quotes and claims of your home owners policy on Koh Samui. The independent insurance broker has YOU as the client, and is not beholden to the Insurance company. I am just about to pay for another policy term with "Safety Insurance Public Company Limited". The claims adjuster who came to my Isaan home for the one claim I made, did not speak or understand English. But my bilingual broker spoke with him on the phone, I did not get any run around, I had a list done on www.third-drawer.com of household items, and the 50K plus claim was paid in full via a bank transfer to a Thai Bank account. No run around, but "My Broker had my back" and he translated. The claims form was in English. The policy is in Thai AND in English. My Broker Eric Dohlon Insurance in Thailand put me on the right direction in terms of the "electrical injury" was something to not overlook when I compared four different price quotes from four different house insurance companies he e-mailed to me. I see what a run around I get from the ONE policy I bought direct through an insurance company in Thailand, my auto insurance policy, EVERY year at renewal time. Brutal experience compared to the EASY painless and informative experience of renewal through Eric Dohlon's firm on Phuket Island.

The insurance adjuster who Eric had come the very next day after a small electrical fire, questioned the value of one particular computer accessory item, and I had put the purchase date and purchase price on third-drawer.com so he immediately stopped any questions on age and value of household electrical items in the claim. I was paid the FULL retail cost of all items when in the claim I submitted new purchase receipts to replace the same type of item damaged in a power surge that caused a small fire. The 299 baht power surge protector failed, the 1490 baht power surge worked. I have not made any other claim, so I can not speak of wind damage or a burglary. Eric Dohlon has YEARS of experience in complicated claims on Phuket Island including the December 26, 2004 Tsunami tragedy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The right bilingual dual citizen insurance broker on Phuket Island certainly can help you with quotes and claims of your home owners policy on Koh Samui. The independent insurance broker has YOU as the client, and is not beholden to the Insurance company. I am just about to pay for another policy term with "Safety Insurance Public Company Limited". The claims adjuster who came to my Isaan home for the one claim I made, did not speak or understand English. But my bilingual broker spoke with him on the phone, I did not get any run around, I had a list done on www.third-drawer.com of household items, and the 50K plus claim was paid in full via a bank transfer to a Thai Bank account. No run around, but "My Broker had my back" and he translated. The claims form was in English. The policy is in Thai AND in English. My Broker Eric Dohlon Insurance in Thailand put me on the right direction in terms of the "electrical injury" was something to not overlook when I compared four different price quotes from four different house insurance companies he e-mailed to me. I see what a run around I get from the ONE policy I bought direct through an insurance company in Thailand, my auto insurance policy, EVERY year at renewal time. Brutal experience compared to the EASY painless and informative experience of renewal through Eric Dohlon's firm on Phuket Island.

The insurance adjuster who Eric had come the very next day after a small electrical fire, questioned the value of one particular computer accessory item, and I had put the purchase date and purchase price on third-drawer.com so he immediately stopped any questions on age and value of household electrical items in the claim. I was paid the FULL retail cost of all items when in the claim I submitted new purchase receipts to replace the same type of item damaged in a power surge that caused a small fire. The 299 baht power surge protector failed, the 1490 baht power surge worked. I have not made any other claim, so I can not speak of wind damage or a burglary. Eric Dohlon has YEARS of experience in complicated claims on Phuket Island including the December 26, 2004 Tsunami tragedy.

Seems all the house insurance policies have increased by 50% due to the floods in Bangkok from a couple of years ago. No, this is no joke.

Even if you live in an area without flood history, you'll pay a whopping 50% more.

My Insurance Broker in Phuket sent several home owner insurance policies for me to consider last month. I elected to obtain the three year discount for a serious policy from Allianz CP called "Happy Home". 29 baht a day for 8 million baht coverage, 2 million baht liability, 200K "Electrical Injury", etc.. The quote was in English, the policy details were e-mailed in Thai and English. The actual Policy is in Thai and English. A greater discount is available for a 5 year premium payment. You can of course pay one year at a time. Easy to pay via the bank counter, ATM, paypoints, credit cards or bank transfer. Eric's staff understand and speak English and Thai. "Safety Insurance" was a good company for the past three years, but in 2013 they did not offer a multiple year premium discount. We are not paying 50% more, we are not paying a single baht more for the same basic 8 million baht coverage. I paid 30 baht a day for the previous three year policy with very similar coverage. I see flooding limits on the new policy, but after seven years in the same small Buriram Town, and knowing our home is raised up a bit from the street, flooding is not a personal concern. "Electrical Injury" is a concern since the PEA power has had some major surges and drops in voltage in our neighborhood. Eric Dohlon the Insurance Broker in Phuket has served us well and helped in English to compare many types of insurance policies and ways to obtain discounts.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

To be honest Flood cover is a non starter. Any insurance companies now offer All Risks with flood cover of 1000 bht, yes 1000 bht. This is so they can still offer an All Risks policy but not actually cover any REAL RISK.

NZI/IAG still offer earthquake coverage and wind typhoon damage but not floods (except that massive 1000bht!). They will also do house contents, including art work, furniture etc., They will also offer all risk (out of the home) for personal effects if you supply copies of receipts/photos etc.,

However the real crunch comes is when you have to make a claim. Not done that yet so couldn't comment. NZI seemed to have their act together until they passed control to safety insurance public company ltd. Not as efficient I'm afraid.

Premiums with NZI have risen approx 18% cf last year.

Just google NZI thailand. The SIPCL web site is pants though.

To be honest Flood cover is a non starter. Any insurance companies now offer All Risks with flood cover of 1000 bht, yes 1000 bht. This is so they can still offer an All Risks policy but not actually cover any REAL RISK.

NZI/IAG still offer earthquake coverage and wind typhoon damage but not floods (except that massive 1000bht!). They will also do house contents, including art work, furniture etc., They will also offer all risk (out of the home) for personal effects if you supply copies of receipts/photos etc.,

However the real crunch comes is when you have to make a claim. Not done that yet so couldn't comment. NZI seemed to have their act together until they passed control to safety insurance public company ltd. Not as efficient I'm afraid.

Premiums with NZI have risen approx 18% cf last year.

Just google NZI thailand. The SIPCL web site is pants though.

Interesting as my quote for the next year did not increase at all?

Originally taken out via AA insurance with NZI but this became Safety (2011/2012?) as NZI are owned by AIG who own Safety and my understanding (from what NZI sent me) was that all policies from NZI in Thailand went to Safety?

So no increase in premium but reduction in flood as you say and a huge increase in the deductible for rain/storm damage up from 3k to 10% or minimum 10k baht.

kamalabob2 seems to have a very reasonable premium - I work that out at around 10k per year for 8m baht which seems very cheap?