Thinking of changing from married visa to retirement visa.

I have been doing a non-o-married visa for 11 years. It's always a hassle with all the paperwork.

So now I'm thinking of changing over to retirement visa. What does this involve, and is this an easier route with less hassles? I'm a USA. citizen.

Next time you simply fill in retirement as grounds for the extension of stay and submit the required financial proof and proof of address.

Now it will be 800,000 in a bank acocunt in Thailand OR 65,000 income OR a combinaiton of yearly income and money in the bank totaling 800,000. And maybe proof of address.

The first time you will need to bring your wife as usual as they might want her to understand that you change the reason for the extension to retirement instead of the usual marriage extension.

If using bank account the money must have been in account for 3 months prior to application each year - but only additional paperwork than financial proof will be normal copies of passport/visa/extension and departure card and perhaps some evidence of where you live. As said for first time best to have wife with you so they can confirm with her she understands your change but immigration will also appreciate the less paperwork and not having to be as careful to avoid mistake found at higher level.

Out of curiosity would the OP only need to season the required money in his bank account for 2 months for his first retirement extension at any rate (assuming that this was his method of proving finances)? Or does the fact that he has previously obtained extensions based on marriage mean that it would still be 3 months in his case?

As I understand it 3 months, as you had time to season the money. (The purpose of the first extension only needing 2 months is to ensure that you have enough time for the first extension to season the money. You had enough time to season as it is not a first extension).

No doubt some immigration offices might accept 2 months.

Thank you very much for your responses. Previously I had 400,000 in the bank just for this purpose, but if I get an income letter from my embassy showing I have at least 65,000 Bath every month, I will not need a letter from the Bank also. The proof of income from the embassy is still only good for 15 days ?