Thai Tourism Board goes after the Pink Dollar.

KED

Nicely done, decent hotels and nice beaches. I think I would have made a better model or at least that's what I was told :)

Not sure where they will air this piece or if it's meant for online advertising only but every gay person I know is aware Thailand is gay friendly. I suspect the TAT got co-op funds from those hotels and then checked a box "we've marketed to the gays" and that's about all we'll see.

BTW I've never spent a pink dollar - I pay in loonies or twonies or pounds :) labels grrrrr

Very good. Posted Image  Is Thailand the only country in the world that promotes gay tourism? I've never heard it from another country.

Hardly.

For example: ISRAEL. 

Good to hear. Do you have a link?

Sent from my I-405 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Very good. wub.png Is Thailand the only country in the world that promotes gay tourism? I've never heard it from another country.

Hardly.

For example: ISRAEL.

Good to hear. Do you have a link?

Sent from my I-405 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Over 1/3 of Tel Aviv's (Israel's metropolis) tourism promotion budget for the international market is specifically targeted at the gay travelers.

Edited by Jingthing

I really think there are a number of countries doing this, at least at the CITY level.

Another, Mexico:

Mexico City, Mexico (CNN) -- As more governments approve same-sex marriage laws, officials here are hoping to attract a growing part of the tourism market: gay honeymoons.

The first couple to wed under Argentina's recent law allowing same-sex marriages nationwide arrives in Mexico this week on an all-expenses-paid trip -- part of a new push by the government in Mexico City, Mexico to woo gay travelers.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/08/31/mexico.same.sex.honeymoon/index.html

I really think there are a number of countries doing this, at least at the CITY level.

Another, Mexico:

Mexico City, Mexico (CNN) -- As more governments approve same-sex marriage laws, officials here are hoping to attract a growing part of the tourism market: gay honeymoons.

The first couple to wed under Argentina's recent law allowing same-sex marriages nationwide arrives in Mexico this week on an all-expenses-paid trip -- part of a new push by the government in Mexico City, Mexico to woo gay travelers.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/08/31/mexico.same.sex.honeymoon/index.html

Great, thanks for the link.

Yes, we should be aware of this, it is important to know which countries or cities are not only tolerant but go out of their way to attract gay couples. I like that and will support them.

• Like 1

Like I said, I'm sure there are a number of official city tourism welcomes.

Fishing for gay honeymooners seems to be the "thing" now.

Capetown South Africa, official Capetown tourism site:

http://www.capetown.travel/blog/entry/top-gay-travel-destinations-cape-town-recognised-in-out-now-survey

Earlier this year, USA President Barack Obama announced that he supported same-sex marriage and Cape Town Tourism welcomed LGBT couples to choose Cape Town as their honeymoon destination. Capetonians are very open-minded and easy-going, where LGBT events such as Cape Town Pride (March) and MCQP (December) take place every year. The video below sums up Cape Town Pride 2012.

I think the euphemism is 'gay-friendly'. In a lot of places in the world, gays are still a targeted. It's a little harder for the homophobes to know where the target is, if it isn't highly visible.

It's nice to know the places that aren't going to give you a hassle, though.

My impression is we are talking here about places where some kind of governmental tourism entity is EXPLICITLY welcoming the gay market to their destination. I have included city governments and city tourism promotion agencies in this. That's a different thing than the abstract concept of gay friendly.

• Like 2

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

First American city (ten years ago) to run a t.v. commercial targeting gay travelers is still at it:

http://www.visitphilly.com/c/gay/

Philadelphia was founded more than 300 years ago by Englishman William Penn on principles of equality and freedom of expression. Today, the "city of brotherly love" is a welcoming place for people from around the world, and a great destination for gay and lesbian travelers.

This is a more current marketing ad. I can't find the 10 year old one:

Edited by Jingthing

"Thailand welcomes the gay community"? I thought people had realised that there's no such things as a "gay community" years ago. Outdated thinking - hardly a surprise from TAT.

I think most definitely there is still a gay community. I agree that gay society should not be limited to gay-only venues and I realize that gays do not share identical politics or values - of course. However, there are numerous social sites both online and realworld where the gay community exists - throughout the world, there are political groups and health groups that support the gay community.

While the gay community is not regulated to specific clubs or streets or cities - the community still exists -

"Thailand welcomes the gay community"? I thought people had realised that there's no such things as a "gay community" years ago. Outdated thinking - hardly a surprise from TAT.

I think most definitely there is still a gay community. I agree that gay society should not be limited to gay-only venues and I realize that gays do not share identical politics or values - of course. However, there are numerous social sites both online and realworld where the gay community exists - throughout the world, there are political groups and health groups that support the gay community.

While the gay community is not regulated to specific clubs or streets or cities - the community still exists -

Just because of what I like to do with my rude bits doesn't make me part of any community. I have nothing in common with skinny twinks, bitchy queens or muscle marys. I'm not a bear, or an otter or flaming queen. Drag queens leave me cold. Tom of Finland's images raise nothing for me. I don't think of myself as a "poof" or "faggot" or "queer" or "nancy". I don't speak with a lisp and and not limp-wristed. I don't have a "fag hag".

So, what, exactly, is the common factor that creates a "gay community"?

• Like 2

Just because of what I like to do with my rude bits doesn't make me part of any community. I have nothing in common with skinny twinks, bitchy queens or muscle marys. I'm not a bear, or an otter or flaming queen. Drag queens leave me cold. Tom of Finland's images raise nothing for me. I don't think of myself as a "poof" or "faggot" or "queer" or "nancy". I don't speak with a lisp and and not limp-wristed. I don't have a "fag hag".

Well said, if I didn't tell you I was gay you'd probably never know, or in the case of one of our staff saying to us "you guys should be a couple you spend so much time together" and she worked for us for 4 or 5 years when she said it.

There is no such thing as a community unless you are talking about the gay ghetto in large urban areas IMO, it's just one more label left over from the older generation. It's almost as bad as the LBGT label, what do I have in common with a lesbian (no insult) or transgendered person (no insult)

So whilst it's nice the message Thailand is gay friendly I go back to my original comment it's just a tick by a marketing guru to say the gays are taken care of and we'll be the hub of gay tourism.

I believe the term community here is an abstraction rather than a place. According to Wikipedia here's how the gay community is defined:

The LGBT community, sometimes known as the gay community, is a loosely defined grouping of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) and LGBT-supportive people, organizations, and subcultures, united by a common culture and civil rights movements. These communities generally celebrate pride, diversity, individuality, and sexuality. LGBT activists and sociologists see LGBT community-building as an antidote to heterosexism, homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, sexualism, and conformist pressures thought to exist in the larger society.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_community

You may be a part of the gay community without identifying as one of the sub-groups (muscle men, queens etc). To be a part of a 'community' you either need to self-identify as being a part of the community or be outwardly identified by others as belonging to the community. Thus if you are straight acting, your level of commitment can vary. If you a raging queen, it may be the only community that will accept you.

With the exception of the trolls who sometimes come by the forum, most posters are a member of the gay community. It may be a fleeting association, but an association none-the-less.

• Like 2

You may not be part of the gay community, and that is your choice. There certainly IS a gay community, for example in Bangkok.

I am German. I am not part of the German community in Bangkok (I hardly know any Germans), but it certainly exists. I may not care for lederhosen or football, and I do not mix with the people who do, but it only means that I am not part of that community, it doesn't mean the community doesn't exist.

A common factor of any community is that people hang out together and enjoy each others' company based on a common factor. If you have ever been to Silom, you know there are many expats who hang out in the gay pubs and discotheques regularly. While you may not be part of the community, they are.

I find it rather weird that you say that because you are not part of the gay community, it doesn't exist.

• Like 2

This is really about accepting or not accepting the modern concept of gay as an IDENTITY group. I do. I think it is useful in furthering civil rights for ALL gay people (and LBTs too). I agree with Scott though it's an abstraction much more than a place, and I don't think you need to be hanging out with gay people even to be part of the IDENTITY group. Also I totally reject the absurd idea that you need to embody some silly stereotype of what a gay person is to have any association with the concept of gay IDENTITY and gay community, which again, I strongly think are RELATED.

For people who've got their panties all in a twist about not accepting gay as an identity, why even have and post to a gay forum here anyway? coffee1.gif

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

It's not modern to put a label on who I am or with whom I wish to have has friends. It's also not about civil rights - I've got my licence and married to the man who will bury me or cremate if he gets his way.

If being part of this club or community makes some people better gays or happier with a label then so be it, a sense of belonging I suppose- I'll stick with my Masonic buds.

I don't "act" straight, I am a man who shares a bed with another man, I have zero in common with most of the sterotypes mentioned above except they are fellow humans.

If, because, I'm not clubbing with a group of other men who share the same sexual desires as I, doesn't validate anything more than a common interest it's not a community IMO.

Perhaps this requires a new thread as to not take the so called pink dollars off topic.

It's not about "better" gays, or about "validation". It's about people who want to hang out with other gays or not. It's about choice, and it has nothing to do with quality.

Chill and relax.

Chilled and relaxed - just need to find the form where I can opt out of the club and not have the label of being part of a community :)

The Gay Forum is listed as one of the "Community Forums", along with Buddhism, Ladies forum, etc., so I assume that even people who set up internet forums somehow see it as a Gay Community.

How closely you associate with any community is up to you. As OTM said, he is German, but doesn't associate with the German community as such.

As far as going after the pink tourism dollar, it's a good idea to target those communities, whether they are physically a place, or whether they are just an internet forum.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...