farang beaten up in patpong i think

snake24

With the amount of drunk stupid farangs running around thinking they are tough guys, I am amazing of how few fights there are here in Thailand. With the few fights I have seen, the farang asked for it and provoking/starting the fight.

What I do not like, is the Thais unfair way of fighting. Its never one on one - and they never stop even though a person has been beaten and is lying down. But hey, would we also maybe not have a lot of anger inside us, if it was them running around with our women...

The expandable batons are readily available in the markets better to be prepared than be a victim

I know, I carry one when I go back to the UK. The UK can stuff their laws where the sun don't shine, my life and well being is more important than a bunch of monkeys who sit around a table making laws for us to obey that does not affect them.

• Like 1

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never seen groups of Thai's set on a farang without cause.

I admire the way you always stick up for the Thais Berkshire, and I agree with you on most points, but what I don't admire is their cowardice, though does not apply to all of them, and their behaviour on the roads, that applies to a big majority of them. If there is one thing I hate it is cowards, whether it is on the street, or the very occasional TV poster hiding behind his keyboard with insults to other posters.

Berkshire!xermm.gif.pagespeed.ic.7f2Kr9k8HC.pngunsure.png.pagespeed.ce.E7Vo3qsmeC.png

Sorry Chaingmai, it was Berkshire I was answering, I don't know how my post got where it is.

Is it this video on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNXmbngD64E ?

Seems like a few of them take the opportunity to get it all out of their system.

Did u upload it to youtube?

This will help those with the phones that cannot play flash videos especially the fruit phones.

No I didn't, I found it through post #60, copied/pasted the foreing language part to search on Youtube.

Is it this video on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNXmbngD64E ?

Seems like a few of them take the opportunity to get it all out of their system.

Yep it's the same video with no details of course. It's in Khao San Bangkok I recognize a blue sign in the background for a hotel/restaurant there.

I remember about 3-4 years ago a similar incident was posted too. Very, very similar. Drunk farange made lewd comments toward a girl selling merchandise of some sort along the road and her befriend and friends beat the crap out of him. While living in Bangkok this happens more than you think. Did a short stent helping the Thai Police with sorting out drunks who got into trouble because I happen to live very close to Patapong area. Glad I moved. Some people loose all control of them selves when they get drunk and the Thais don;t always tolerate it, same as you would.

• Like 1

I admire the way you always stick up for the Thais Berkshire, and I agree with you on most points, but what I don't admire is their cowardice, though does not apply to all of them, and their behaviour on the roads, that applies to a big majority of them. If there is one thing I hate it is cowards, whether it is on the street, or the very occasional TV poster hiding behind his keyboard with insults to other posters.

Berkshire!xermm.gif.pagespeed.ic.7f2Kr9k8HC.pngunsure.png.pagespeed.ce.E7Vo3qsmeC.png

Sorry Chaingmai, I was answering Berkshire, I don't know how you got it

Sorry Chaingmai, I was answering Berkshire, I don't know how you got it

No sweat, but do it again and I send round seven Thai guys, understood. laugh.png

They fight to win. What's bravery got to do with it? A thug is a thug whether fighting alone or in packs.

Yes, you are right about thugs fighting alone, a big man against a little man, a young man against an old man. But odds of around six to one is nothing short of cowardice and Thuggery.

But why would thugs care about fighting honourably? Just look at the cowardly thuggery of football gangs in England in the 70s & 80s. I don't think Thai thuggery is any different to any other thuggery. They are all thugs.

They fought each other in groups fighting groups and were typically unaware urban folks.

When you see the way farangs behave in the bar areas im amazed there are not more of them getting beaten up daily- and in most cases it would be well deserved too. So kudos to the Thais for showing so much restraint, i say.

Agree. Thais will never lay into a farang like this unless provoked. The bloke should consider himself lucky being able to walk away from all this.

I agree with your first sentence apart from the word never. I believe it would apply to about 99% of Thais. No matter the provocation, there is no excuse whatsoever for five or six thugs, and that's what they are, laying into one defenceless man.
i think the aptly named Berk's quote should read "Thais will never lay into a farang like this unless they out-number him at least 5 to 1.

Drunk farange made lewd comments toward a girl selling merchandise of some sort along the road and her befriend and friends beat the crap out of him.

And friends?

I rest my case.

The only problem is that is that the criminal thais in these areas often have knives or even guns and that makes it difficult for other foreigners to come to help and give these little <deleted> a real beating, because we all know that in a fair or even numbered fight that the thais would get their <deleted> royally kicked by a group of whites.

And the overzealous moderators will probably delete this post as well.

I think this is just your opinion. Ask a thai and he would probably say the thais would win cos they are tougher even if they are smaller. Pointless making up imaginary scenerios.

• Like 1

They showed that vid on channel 7 news, why did that guy just stand there waiting for some more aggro?. Covered in blood,he should have legged it. Where were the BIB?.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hard to think coherently when you just had your head kicked in lol.

I've rechecked and honestly, I can't see any Thai apologists in this thread. What I can see is a couple of posters saying that, contrary to the beliefs of some, farangs are not at risk of being attacked by gangs of men and when that sort of thing does happen it's very much the exception and in many cases the farang will have brought the beating on himself.

As for your man in Phuket: on the surface you'd have to say no, the beating was totally wrong. But I'd like to have been there to understand the circumstances and who said what to who and how was it said. Having lived in Patong for a number of years I understand the taxi/parking scenario well, despite that it would be difficult for me to imagine that the man was beaten up without cause. But if for example the taxi drivers said hey, you can't park there, this space is reserved for taxi's and the man replied, get stuffed, there's no sign saying I can't, then, well...!

Oh so that's ok then is it?

Park in a place you can park and some moron tells you that you can't and you tell them to <deleted> off and you are in the wrong and deserve a beating do you?

I would think the taxi thug deserved the beating.

Yes but I think the proper response would be for you to be wary that someone (the taxi driver) is unhappy and either 1) your car will be damaged in some way or 2) your body will suffer in some way if you ignore his warning. This was clearly demonstrated when a Chinese tourist parked her rental car in a space reserved for taxis in Phuket some weeks ago - her tyres were slashed as a result (not sure if her car was also keyed as well). Although I have never encountered such a scenario before as I know where to park and where not to park (well it helps that I am fluent in Thai and can read all the signs) if a taxi thug did tell me not to park in a particular location I would grudgingly move on - first I would probably stop making eye contact and stop talking with the guy and then I would zoom off to a more appropriate parking location thus avoiding any trouble.

Advocating violence towards the taxi thug is just asking for trouble - naturally all his other goons will show up and then everyone will be like: "let's beat the crap out of this ignorant foreigner". All of this is completely avoidable - it all depends on attitude so I think chiang mai makes a good point here. For example, I can deal with even the most rigid guards, taxi drivers etc. because I speak Thai well and can be quite assertive (in a Thai way), but never confrontational. Years of keen observations about how Thais deal with difficult situations and I follow them exactly; if I were in the west I would probably act in a way that is more common in the western world. In Thailand, always act in a culturally appropriate way - if you act like an angry westerner, angry Arab, angry Chinese man etc. (depending on where you are from) throwing your arms around and just asking for trouble there is a good chance you will get a beating or worse.

They showed that vid on channel 7 news, why did that guy just stand there waiting for some more aggro?. Covered in blood,he should have legged it. Where were the BIB?.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Was it because of this thread here?

It's odd that no names have come up at all or at least the location or the reason for the beating.

There is never a cause when it's about six to one. If Thais have any cause to beat up a Farang, Why do they always need back up? Are they not brave enough to fight the Farang one to one? I would like an answer to this.

I don't think cowardice or bravery are anywhere in the equation.

Not being an apologist for Thais or their behaviour in such situations but I seriously believe the cause of these "pack attacks" in most cases is simply taking an opportunity to get a modicum of revenge on Farang in general - at least the type of Farang these people meet regularly on a day-to-day basis.

In the vast majority of cases the Thais doing the beating are low-paid, low class workers in the Bar area - waiters, bar-boys, pimps etc..

Every day they see well off (to them) Farang lording it around their place of work - spending more money just on alcohol in one night than they earn in a week, a thousand Baht on one meal, a couple of thousand Baht to take home a girl. All this must build up terrible resentment and jealousy for which they have no immediate outlet.

Then one day some obnoxious Farang goes a little too far and causes a scene, starts a fight, and they seize upon this golden opportunity to vent their built up frustrations and jump in.

Resentment and jealousy is human nature - not at all unique to Thais or Thailand.

Patrick

• Like 2

Also a bit of difference between Patpong and Patong. One being in Bangkok- where this video wasn't filmed- and one being in Phuket where it was possibly filmed... but find me a wind open space in Patpong like that, I'll be amazed.

Except I believe it was filmed on Khao San Road.

I see where your coming from Patrick. but back in the UK, I did not hear or read about fights with odds of about six to one, I am not saying it did not happen, it did, but in the eight years I have lived in Thailand, never a week goes by without reading in TV and the Stickman Bangkok website about six Thais beating up one Farang. If Thais have a gripe about Farangs taking their woman, and I can see where they have, why does one Thai never go up to a Farang and try and cause trouble without his backup? Odds of about six to one is never acceptable, no matter what reason there is. If I had a gripe against anybody back in Scotland, I would approach them by myself, and sort it out by myself without the need for any backup.

I see where your coming from Patrick. but back in the UK, I did not hear or read about fights with odds of about six to one, I am not saying it did not happen, it did, but in the eight years I have lived in Thailand, never a week goes by without reading in TV and the Stickman Bangkok website about six Thais beating up one Farang. If Thais have a gripe about Farangs taking their woman, and I can see where they have, why does one Thai never go up to a Farang and try and cause trouble without his backup? Odds of about six to one is never acceptable, no matter what reason there is. If I had a gripe against anybody back in Scotland, I would approach them by myself, and sort it out by myself without the need for any backup.

"Never a week goes by" is rather an exaggeration! Thais will back up their countrymen and there is certainly a thuggish Thai element most often found in places like Patong (Phuket) and Pattaya. To say the same thing wouldn't happen in a western country, particularly if a "foreigner" was beating up a local, is ridiculous.

There is never a cause when it's about six to one. If Thais have any cause to beat up a Farang, Why do they always need back up? Are they not brave enough to fight the Farang one to one? I would like an answer to this.

I don't think cowardice or bravery are anywhere in the equation.

Not being an apologist for Thais or their behaviour in such situations but I seriously believe the cause of these "pack attacks" in most cases is simply taking an opportunity to get a modicum of revenge on Farang in general - at least the type of Farang these people meet regularly on a day-to-day basis.

In the vast majority of cases the Thais doing the beating are low-paid, low class workers in the Bar area - waiters, bar-boys, pimps etc..

Every day they see well off (to them) Farang lording it around their place of work - spending more money just on alcohol in one night than they earn in a week, a thousand Baht on one meal, a couple of thousand Baht to take home a girl. All this must build up terrible resentment and jealousy for which they have no immediate outlet.

Then one day some obnoxious Farang goes a little too far and causes a scene, starts a fight, and they seize upon this golden opportunity to vent their built up frustrations and jump in.

Resentment and jealousy is human nature - not at all unique to Thais or Thailand.

Patrick

True enough... This is also the way they fight amongst themselves though.

On a trip to sukhothai at songkran a few years ago in a single afternoon I saw 3x such beatings. One without weapons, one using chains and another with a big machete.

They fight like wild animals. The trouble starts, its obvious which gang is bigger, the weaker gang flees and in each case one gets picked off then the entire gang focuses on beating that individual. In 2 of the 3 cases mentioned in the last paragraph I'd be very supprised if 2 of them had survived.

With Thai on Thai fights they fend for their own group/gang. When a farang is involved the gang makeup is Thais vs Farang, and as you said there are quite a few Thai guys who resent us, so they all want to get a shot in.

Also a bit of difference between Patpong and Patong. One being in Bangkok- where this video wasn't filmed- and one being in Phuket where it was possibly filmed... but find me a wind open space in Patpong like that, I'll be amazed.

Except I believe it was filmed on Khao San Road.

You're are right about Khao San Rd. Some people don't know the geography of Thailand. Every thing happens in either Patong or Pattaya even if it was in Chang Mai or Bangkok. Same with their "Thais cause all the problems attitude". Bash.. bash... bash... but never the farange who did anything wrong.

And Patpong and Khao San Road are miles apart for the uneducated. Two completely different areas of Bangkok. Because Khao San Rd is "backpackers" paradise you have more trouble and get the low life's too IMHO.

This guy was obviously drunk or wasted in drugs. Did something to get his butt kicked. Did you notice it appears he wants to fight by putting up his fists but too wasted to realized he lost. His buddy, if that's who he was, tries to steer him away from more trouble at the end of the video.

• Like 1

"Never a week goes by" is rather an exaggeration! Thais will back up their countrymen and there is certainly a thuggish Thai element most often found in places like Patong (Phuket) and Pattaya. To say the same thing wouldn't happen in a western country, particularly if a "foreigner" was beating up a local, is ridiculous.

OK, I will refrase that, hardly is the word I should have used. I did not say it never happened in a Western country, read my post again. I say again, only cowards and thugs beat up one man at odds of about six to one, in any country, and the Thais are renowned for that.

Edited by soundman
Quote tags fixed.

OK, I will refrase that, hardly is the word I should have used. I did not say it never happened in a Western country, read my post again. I say again, only cowards and thugs beat up one man at odds of about six to one, in any country, and the Thais are renowned for that.

Fair enough. However, I don't really see a virtue in our thugs being braver than Thai thugs and I don't see the thuggish pack mentality as being particularly a Thai thing.

Fair enough. However, I don't really see a virtue in our thugs being braver than Thai thugs and I don't see the thuggish pack mentality as being particularly a Thai thing.

Only one answer to this really. All thugs are cowards, no matter what country they come from.

I really get tired of people always defending this type of cowardly, brutal, animal behavior with the "happens in Sydney" or wher the <deleted> ever. We are not talking about Sydney or Glascow or Detroit or wherever but rather a tourist desination in Thailand. Bottom line is it is happening here and if you are half awake you will see it is wrong and you may be next one drunken evening.

I don't know what farang countries some of you come from, but it is not my experience at all that fights are honorable one on one duels. Maybe that was the case 40-50 years ago when you guys were young, but it hasn't been my experience. When I see bar fights in the US it's usually multiple people and the loser gets their face stomped in once they hit the ground.

• Like 1

Patpong has open space after the street market closes and they carry everything away every night. So like 3am. So maybe Patpong if it's really late, but can't be sure. Don't think it's Khao San like a few other have said but can't be sure there either. The resolution on the video is too low so I can't make out any landmarks.

I really get tired of people always defending this type of cowardly, brutal, animal behavior with the "happens in Sydney" or wher the fuc_k ever. We are not talking about Sydney or Glascow or Detroit or wherever but rather a tourist desination in Thailand. Bottom line is it is happening here and if you are half awake you will see it is wrong and you may be next one drunken evening.

So? It would be very unusual if it wasn't happening in places with large amounts of tourists, especially when alcohol and drugs are also prevalent.

No one, that I can see anyway, is defending thuggish behaviour.

I really get tired of people always defending this type of cowardly, brutal, animal behavior with the "happens in Sydney" or wher the fuc_k ever. We are not talking about Sydney or Glascow or Detroit or wherever but rather a tourist desination in Thailand. Bottom line is it is happening here and if you are half awake you will see it is wrong and you may be next one drunken evening.

No-one is defending it - if only these type of attacks were restricted to Thailand. We could rename it 'the Land of Thugs' and tourist numbers would go from 22 million to ~2000 Indians and Nigerians overnight.

How many family groups would you say risk this type of violence in Thailand. My *guess* is that its a tiny number - in bed by 11pm, mostly - and that leaves Farang punters, the odd younger couple and Thais who gravitate to the nightlife industry. Do the math.

As others have pointed out, the guy in that vid is clearly drunk - ever been pushed or abused by a drunk ? I got into it with one such drunk a few years back on Koh Chang, and we were both saved by the Thais who broke it up - bad for business, particularly if one Farang stabs the other and/or both go to jail/the hospital (or worse..). This was one-on-one, although his mate clearly wanted a piece of me when they returned later and were told to piss off by the Thai staff. Said staff could have kicked me out, or simply given me the cold shoulder, but they didn't - I was a customer spending money in their bar and the other guy had abused them - simple. To date, he remains the only drunk to get in my face like that in Thailand, but it would be different if I had to work in a bar night after night.

Good and bad Thai people, same as anywhere - I was lucky to find myself surrounded by more of the former than the latter. In Sydney, I believe it would have been entirely different.

• Like 1