Why is Google translate Thai-English so incredibly bad?

Jingthing

Alas Google has given up improving its Thai-English module, as it has other language pairs I think.

The hype is now AI, no longer machine translation. In my view this is a mistake, for language translation is a part of AI. In fact correct translation between languages is a hallmark of intelligence, whether artificial or human.

I also think stopping R&D in the field of machine translation is a bad idea economically because the demand for accurate translations in everyday life and in business remains huge.

I translated the first two paragraphs of the article at https://udontoday.co/130567-2/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTAAAR2ImsnnBFBIREuu0md_AlvgXWwSXTlGNej8g5owlh8aNW86CgwT1MPrVuI_aem_AYe178S8qjdUm0ujX4lS6vNq09WD9HgDgJwShPFmcOIQW92PttwB0WSkdfHp_vpineEw8K6UVdeje8YkZVgO9VVc   first into google translate, then the same into chatgpt ("translate this article in english")

Here's chatgpt's version: 

The article titled "Arrested Gunman in Nonsaad District, True Childhood Friend" reports the arrest of the suspected shooter who was indeed a childhood friend of the victim. The police have found evidence including closed-circuit camera footage, clothing, pants, and a gun that were seized. The suspect confessed that he was afraid of his wife sharing information, which led to the shooting.

In the case of Mr. Pijit Wongwai, aged 60, also known as Khun Phan, a prominent figure in Nonsaad District, his body was found shot in the chest in his own cassava field. The incident occurred at Ban Khok Klang, Moo 13, Tambon Khok Klang, Nonsaad District, Udon Thani Province, in the early morning of April 24, 2024. Recently, the police have apprehended the gunman. It was discovered that the gunman was a childhood friend who shot him due to fear that Mr. Pijit would disclose information to his wife in Nong Khun Sri District, Kalasin Province. However, they used to meet regularly, but after suspecting Mr. Pijit of having an affair with his wife, the gunman decided to confront him before the situation worsened, leading to the shooting.

And here's google translate of the same.

Caught and the hand shot Khun Phaen Non clean. They are actually childhood friends. Police have CCTV footage. Shirts, pants, and motorcycles that were confiscated Claimed to be jealous of his wife, afraid to share her heart with him

From the case of Mr. Phichit Wongwai, 60 years old, a young man nicknamed Khun Phaen, Non Sa-at District, was found dead, shot in the middle of the chest. In his own cassava farm, the incident occurred at Ban Khok Klang, Village No. 13, Khok Klang Subdistrict, Non Sa-at District, Udon Thani Province, in the early morning of April 24, 2024. Recently, police have arrested this shooter. Found to be a close friend from childhood The shooter had a wife in Nong Kung Si District, Kalasin Province, but they visited each other regularly. Lately, I've been suspicious of the dead man having an affair with his wife. So I came to clear my mind before the shooting ended.

Both cases give me a good enough gist of the article.  As an intermediate reader of Thai, I'd say the chatgpt version is smoother and easier to read.  If I wanted to smooth out the rough spots, I'd probably use the chatgpt version as a starting point.