Why is Google translate Thai-English so incredibly bad?

Jingthing

I don't think there is any doubt that the Thai-English google translator is shockingly poor. I wonder why exactly. I can compare it to Spanish-English which I would expect to be better, but not so MUCH better.

I assume a large part of the problem is the nature of the Thai language. Is that the only reason? Is google's tool not as good as other automatic Thai-English translation tools?

• Like 2

Google does a word by word translation but sentence construction is totally different in Thai so it comes out almost unintelligible until you work out where the subject, verb and object are. So easy to make mistakes because of this, but if you know basic thai word order and put the english into that, the answer is usually understandable to a thai person.

• Like 2

You need a corpus. For decades & in some case centuries, loads of government documents, novels, research papers etc etc have been expertly translated into multiple European languages by private companies and governments. So the translate algorithms have lots of info to work with. With other languages there isnt always this massive replication of professionally translated, identical documents. The Thai - English corpus is minute compared to , say , German - English.

So you get the mumbo jumbo that is Thai - English translation on Google. It also accounts for the fact that Google is pretty good when it comes to translating well written, grammatically correct sentences but when you start throwing in slang it gets confused.

( This from a Google engineer who I know. )

Does anyone know how much weight the crowdsourced corrections carry? I've been running the same phrases (plus a few added each year) through GT for five years now and the results don't seem to be improving that much. Could it just be a matter of not enough people interested in correcting Thai?

Something I have found amusing using Google is that it will translate almost perfectly anything of a sexual context. I tried this just for experimental purposes only whistling.gif

Also, sometimes when asking questions, you have to "reverse" the sentence in some ways to get it to come out correctly.

When translating English to Thai, I then copy/past the Thai and reverse the translation to make sure it says what I want.

When I do use it, I keep sentences short, no paragraphs, using simple words, and that usually works fairly good.

I always get a chuckle when Google Translate turns "Hua Hin" to "San Francisco." Not sure exactly what context triggers that, but when copy and pasting from Thai web sites, I see it often.

• Like 1

I always get a chuckle when Google Translate turns "Hua Hin" to "San Francisco." Not sure exactly what context triggers that, but when copy and pasting from Thai web sites, I see it often.

Or Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, and almost any other city name/province, into "London". facepalm.gif

I am on Google+ a lot of the time and I get comments in many different languages. It does these incredibly well. This morning I was looking at some of the comments my wife and her friends were saying in Thai in Facebook. The language translation was by Bing and it was horrible just garbage. So I tried the same translation in Google and I think it was slightly better than Bing but still useless. No wonder I find it so difficult to understand my wife!

Sorry lads...hard yards with Mary Haas is the only way.....

Ain't no easy way out.....

This is a good example of another important issue!

The less the source text conforms to formal/ standard linguistic pattern (in terms of grammar, style, and idiomatic expression) the lower will be accuracy of the target language.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

Forget Google translate for Thai to English. It works OK for English to Thai. I use http://www.thai2english.com for translating Thai to English. It works pretty good - much better than Google, plus it provides the tranliterated text as well. Useful for also learning Thai if you study the individual translationsl

Yes, this is the best one for a quick online translation.

Google Translate vrs T2E ... it all depends what the phrase is.

Put แล้วเจอกัน in both. T2E breaks it down. GT simply gives "see you".

Same goes with แล้วคุณล่ะ - T2E breaks it down word by word. GT has "How about you."

พูดภาษาไทยได้นิดหน่อย - T2E comes into its own (a range of possibilities is helpful with longer sentences especially). GT fails with "Thailand speaks a little."

Facebook (Bing) is just as useless as Google at translating from Thai to English, In fact it should say "Translate to gibberish" w00t.gif

"Babylon" (free translator gives you 5 translations only!!!) is a bit better, at least you can get the rough idea of what is being said in Thai, but they want a subscription every month for the non free one. bah.gif

Edited by newermonkey
  • Like 1

Forget Google translate for Thai to English. It works OK for English to Thai. I use http://www.thai2english.com for translating Thai to English. It works pretty good - much better than Google, plus it provides the tranliterated text as well. Useful for also learning Thai if you study the individual translationsl

That's what I use as well. I double check it against google translate and between the two I can understand most of it.

Two things confuse the translation, slang and local dialects. I'm in Chiang Rai, and no translator can handle my Thai friends Facebook post when they use Thai Lanna.

I think the remark about slang language is a very good remark. In Thai writing language or formal language and speaking language are very different. When I just finished my first Thai course in BKK I could understand the prime minister when he would speak on TV, but I could not understand any of the workers that came to build/fix our house (even when they spoke central Thai). In school they taught me formal language.

Because the corpus is probably based on writing language or formal language google translate is really useless when we try to translate the messages our new girlfriend posts or facebook or her chat/e-mail messages we spy on :D

• Like 2