Best way to self-do a Myanmar border run

OxfordWill

I'm in Chiang Mai with a car. I'm wondering how best to do the border run I need. I have found various thread suggesting Mae Sae is the right place to do it, but they all talk about buses and mini vans etc. I'm assuming one can drive oneself there and work it out- does anyone have advice to share?

Also as to how long it might take and what requirements there are.. many thanks in advance for any help.

Will

Drive up there (the 118), about 3.5-4 hours in this kind of weather.

Park left or right from the river.

Bring passport and 500 baht.

Buy fake stuff, booze, tshirts, watches, whatever.

Pick up you passport at Burmese side of the river.

Drive back.

Leave 8 am.

Home 6 pm.

• Like 1

That all sounds about right.... I just went up there yesterday. Weather was wet most of the way and a lot of tour buses on the road. However its not a bad drive although there are a few places where the road (tarmac) is a bit rough due to heavy trucks.

Head out of Chiang Mai and aim for Chiang Rai, if you follow the most direct route (Highway 118) its really a case of following your nose. No real big turns to remember apart from the T intersection that directs you towards CR (Turn left onto Chiang Rai highway 1). Stay on the main road that goes past CR and follow that road all the way to Mae Sai (Its about an hour from Chiang Rai).

Crossing over to Myanmar by foot is easy and when in Myanmar Immigration they will ask if you want to do shopping or if you are going straight back. If shopping they will retain your passport, which you pick up from the office opposite the entry immigration office (Over the road). If you dont want to go shopping they will give your passport back and you can only cross the road (Stopping at the duty free shop if you like) and then head back across the bridge to Thailand.

Hope you have a good trip

• Like 1

A few additional points from a Chiang Rai dweller:

- it is worth paying 40 baht to one of the parking lots on the left of right of the bridge rather than street parking - there are quite a lot of desperate people around and cars may not be as safe as they are usually when left on a Thai street (for free)

- as you return across the bridge to the Thai side (between the two immigration offices), to your right is a shopping centre where there is quite a good selection of wines at lower prices than in Thai supermarkets (good wine starts at around 300 bt rather than 500bt/bottle). Thai immigration seem to tolerate 4 bottles per person. The selection here is better than in the one or two shops in the Tachilek market (and turnover is probably rather higher, so less chance of a corked bottle.)

- I think the closing time for foreigners to return is 5pm, although the office is open to Thais and Burmese for longer hours

- if you want a haven from the madness of the market and the persistent vendors, there is a branch of the excellent Thai "Doi Chaang" coffee house just down the stairs into the market along to your left. The touts seem forbidden from following you in here.

- Thai baht are universally accepted in the shops

- if you have time to spare, friends say a half day tour of the local hills and temples around Tachilek in a moto for 300bt or so is an interesting experience

Lastly, if you have EVEN more time, the FIsh Cave (entrance signposted to the west of the A2 about 10km south of Mae Sai, turning just south of the police road block) is interesting - a steep walk up a 200 steps to a temple in a limestone cavern. Beware the monkeys - a 20bt catapault is recommended.

-

It's an easy trip, you won't face any problems. The info. already stated in this thread is excellent.

I recommend using the parking lots away from the market. I made a u-turn at the border as if I were leaving Mae Sai and a man with a sign saying, "parking" appeared. After I said I'd use his parking lot, he threw away his sign, hopped onto a bicycle and led me to the parking lot which was on a soi behind the market. I think the cost was baht 100 per day but I could be mistaken. I was given a receipt after I parked my car and paid my dough, and was asked for the receipt upon my return. Someone was always there minding the parking lot, no worries about having my car broken into. From there I just walked through the market to the border checkpoint.

The touts on the Myanmar side of the border are annoying. I just go to the duty free shop and return to Thailand.

• Like 1

I first came to Thailand 30 years ago. (September 1983). I have never done a "Visa Run" or a "Border Run" whatever that is but now I am retired and living half way between Chiang Rai and Mae Sai, I can say that crossing to Burma and returning is easy. I have done it many times. The $10 US you pay ( don't be conned into paying ฿500 which is 60% above the correct price) will get you 10 days in Burma. Spend some time there and enjoy it. The country is lovely as are the people. It is just like Thailand was thirty years ago.

Drive up there (the 118), about 3.5-4 hours in this kind of weather.

Park left or right from the river.

Bring passport and 500 baht.

Buy fake stuff, booze, tshirts, watches, whatever.

Pick up you passport at Burmese side of the river.

Drive back.

Leave 8 am.

Home 6 pm.

You may or may not be asked to show cash on the way back into Thailand. From memory I think it is supposed to be 20,000B if you have a non-imm or tourist visa, or 10,000B if you're just after the visa exempt stamp. Based on casual observation, I reckon they ask to see the money less than half the time. Dunno what happens if you don't have it on you. There are no ATMs the Burmese side of the border.

Although I don't know of any specific incidents or have any reason to mistrust the people of Tachilek in general, it seems to me that this regulation means the rogues amongst them may safely assume that a good percentage of the tourists are carrying close to $700 in cash. blink.png

I have never been asked to show that I have sufficient funds as mentioned above. It is true that there is a sign at the Thai immigration office on return from Myanmar, that states the various amounts of cash that one should have on them in order to enter Thailand. In over 18 months I have never been asked to show them this requirement, neither have I seen anyone else being asked to show their cash.

I believe its an old rule that the immigration staff have given up on. Thats not to say it couldnt happen but I think it would cause a big hiccup to alot of travellers and slow down processing...something the immigration officials wouldnt like to happen there.

Its always been a pleasant experience passing thru both border checkpoints, always be polite to the immigration staff and they will let you cross unhindered. The Myanmar immigration always ask for 500 baht although the official fee is US$10. If you have a nice crisp new condition $10 then they will reluctantly accept that, but you have to stick to your guns and not back down. As long as you are not disrespectful they will let you through will unhindered.smile.png

>>Based on casual observation, I reckon they ask to see the money less than half the time. <<

You must be in dream land .Not once like the poster before have i see them ask anyone to show money on the Thai side .

P.S, If you look or dress in a scruffy manner you may have a different experience .You dont have to dress up ,just not look dirthy .

Edited by anto

>>Based on casual observation, I reckon they ask to see the money less than half the time. <<

You must be in dream land .Not once like the poster before have i see them ask anyone to show money on the Thai side .

P.S, If you look or dress in a scruffy manner you may have a different experience .You dont have to dress up ,just not look dirthy .

Made over 50 border runs over the years, not once been asked to show the B. 20.000 not once they checked my shopping luggage.

They do check the Thai/Burmese persons luggage however. Find immigration at both sides very efficient and friendly.

I can concur that they have never asked for proof of funds of any amount returning to Thailand. I once had a dozen bottles of wine and a couple of bottles of spirits. The customs officer said that I was only allowed one bottle. I told him that I was having a party that night and he said " Oh! Thats O.K. then" and let me through.

The liquor is fake, too. There were ants crawling on the "cuban cigars." Wine was suspicious; coming from places like Bulgaria.

No, you buy your duty free after you have left Burma at the Thai duty free shop before you re- enter Thailand. there it is all 100% genuine.

You can even arrange for them to deliver it to your home address in Thailand, which I have done. An amazing good service.

The liquor is fake, too. There were ants crawling on the "cuban cigars." Wine was suspicious; coming from places like Bulgaria.

No, you buy your duty free after you have left Burma at the Thai duty free shop before you re- enter Thailand. there it is all 100% genuine.

You can even arrange for them to deliver it to your home address in Thailand, which I have done. An amazing good service.

So i could get them to deliver 3 months worth of beer ( i drink at least 2 large bottles a day at home ) to my house in Chiang Mai ,with no extra Thai duty ?Sounds far too good to be true .

I have never been asked to show that I have sufficient funds as mentioned above. It is true that there is a sign at the Thai immigration office on return from Myanmar, that states the various amounts of cash that one should have on them in order to enter Thailand. In over 18 months I have never been asked to show them this requirement, neither have I seen anyone else being asked to show their cash.

I believe its an old rule that the immigration staff have given up on. Thats not to say it couldnt happen but I think it would cause a big hiccup to alot of travellers and slow down processing...something the immigration officials wouldnt like to happen there.

Its always been a pleasant experience passing thru both border checkpoints, always be polite to the immigration staff and they will let you cross unhindered. The Myanmar immigration always ask for 500 baht although the official fee is US$10. If you have a nice crisp new condition $10 then they will reluctantly accept that, but you have to stick to your guns and not back down. As long as you are not disrespectful they will let you through will unhindered.smile.png

I haven't been up there for a year or so, but I definitely recall being asked to show the money once or twice. And I specifically recall seeing an American girl being allowed to show a handful of C-notes instead once as well.

Edited by cocopops

So i could get them to deliver 3 months worth of beer ( i drink at least 2 large bottles a day at home ) to my house in Chiang Mai ,with no extra Thai duty ?Sounds far too good to be true .

Yes, and 4 cases ( a dozen bottles per case) of Australian red wine to Bangkok. Amazing Thailand. Just speak to the Chinese Lady in the Duty Free Shop.

Yes, and 4 cases ( a dozen bottles per case) of Australian red wine to Bangkok. Amazing Thailand. Just speak to the Chinese Lady in the Duty Free Shop.

Thanks for the tip .I will try it for sure .

Crossing Myanmar border by car? Which car-border is closest to CM?

I remember many years ago crossing a bridge by foot at Mae Sae... is it still not possible to get a car over? Then where to go?

Late this year I plan to move to CM for like 1/2 year, and consider bringing my Malaysian registered car, but Thai regulation would then require the car leaving Thailand every 30 days. I was told that the crossing can happen at any border. At same time we would take some holiday over there - and could perhaps also bring a load of goods back...

Crossing Myanmar border by car? Which car-border is closest to CM?

I remember many years ago crossing a bridge by foot at Mae Sae... is it still not possible to get a car over? Then where to go?

Late this year I plan to move to CM for like 1/2 year, and consider bringing my Malaysian registered car, but Thai regulation would then require the car leaving Thailand every 30 days. I was told that the crossing can happen at any border. At same time we would take some holiday over there - and could perhaps also bring a load of goods back...

On Jan 1st 2015 Thailand joins the ASEAN - may be worth waiting until then to bring your car in - might find it is tax free then (?) - at least worth checking in to smile.png

Edited by wolf5370

Yesterday they accepted a crisp USD 10 bill without any problem at all. I guess it just depends on the officer on duty. On my previous visit only 500 baht was accepted.

I have crossed the bridge into Burma by car, Thai registered, so the answer to that is yes. I don't know about Malaysian registered though.

I'll be going there (Mae Sai) on Wednesday to renew my retirement extension and I could ask at the bridge if you like.