Thai Army introduces safer cooking gas cylinders

webfact

Army introduces safer cooking gas cylinders
The Nation

30214326-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- A new type of cooking gas cylinder that will disperse less lethal shrapnel if used as a bomb by insurgents was unveiled yesterday at a military research unit after it secured an initial approval from the Internal Security Operations Command (Isoc).

Speaking at a press conference, Isoc spokesman Maj-General Surachart Jitjang did not say if these Im Oon cylinders would be introduced for household use or if the Army would grant licences to civilian cylinder-makers for mass production.

The Im Oon cylinder is made of a composite material comprising resin and fibre glass, which would render lighter and smaller number of shrapnel, making it less lethal than generic cylinders that are made of metal, he said. The Isoc will further develop the Im Oon cylinder for possible mass production for household use in the insurgency-hit deep South.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-07

Speaking at a press conference, Isoc spokesman Maj-General Surachart Jitjang did not say if these Im Oon cylinders would be introduced for household use or if the Army would grant licences to civilian cylinder-makers for mass production.

Although not stated at all, I cannot imagine that the military research centre designed and manufactured the cylinders from scratch, but simply bought a few from elsewhere.

​Military marketing? Whatever next?

Like the foul stench of gas, I smell a money making opportunity coming on.

Edited by arthurboy

This look to me like a fiber-resin LPG tank for a car wrapped in a plastic cover. These tanks already exist as long as I can remember.

Here's a manufacturer:

Safety issues might occur as fiber-resinwill gradually will become less strong after about 10 years. Fiber-resin tanks have an expiry date and become unsafe after that date.

Most Thai don't even care about the expiry date for food - why would they care for the expiry date of their gass-tank?

The metal tanks can be used longer.

Thanks Kriswillems for the link.

They making it sound like it is the Army's brainchild but it is not. How would they grant licences

to anyone?

And why in this article, the information here below was not disclosed?

"

*Edited*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No copyright infringements intended. This information is posted for educational purposes only.

Edited by Scott
Commercial links edited out

When I first saw the regular Thai style home gas cylinder tank in houses and apartments many years ago, I was shocked. Amazing that in 2013, they would be just getting around to a better design for Thai people. Not just insurgents and terrorists.

This look to me like a fiber-resin LPG tank for a car wrapped in a plastic cover. These tanks already exist as long as I can remember.

Here's a manufacturer: http://www.kompozitpraha.com/design.htm

Safety issues might occur as fiber-resinwill gradually will become less strong after about 10 years. Fiber-resin tanks have an expiry date and become unsafe after that date.

Most Thai don't even care about the expiry date for food - why would they care for the expiry date of their gass-tank?

The metal tanks can be used longer.

Do you meant to say that that Thai LPG tanks do not have an inspection date stamped on them? I shouldn't be surprised. Good on the Thai army for taking the initiative.

In Indonesia, it is now no longer possible to have a 15kg LPG cylinder. Apart from the shrapnel issue, the fittings there are so primitive that the contents of a cylinder could leak out overnight, and spoil someones day at light-up time.

Two questions:

how can the army collect all the old steel one that are around so the terrorists won't use them?

As the resign will get weak after some years, specially if damaged on the surface. How can the army ensure that in 20 years we don't have daily gas explosions?

• Like 1

Sorry don't know what happened to my comment to the above but Repsol in Spain have been using these cylinders for a couple of years much lighter and they say safer but also they can track the cylinders anywhere if they wish which is maybe what the army want also the chip is able to tell them when its time for the cylinder to be scrapped

OK...so the Army has hold of these supposedly "safe" cylinders...no doubt through a contact in China..or somewhere...money involved...tax money used in procurement..travel...graft.....and now they want to market these????

Anything the RTA does has to be suspect.....!

The steel cylinders do not produce shrapnel which is produced only by Shrapnel shell long out of use.

If burst explosively they may produce uneven fragments large and small. Each cylider should have an Initial Charge date stamped indelibly on the neck area and a Test Date. Because they are low pressure the ultimate life may be subject only to successful retest. The gas filling station is responsible to check dates and withdraw cylinders the are due retest but then TIT.

I´ll go out on a limb and state that this will prevent somewhere in the vecinity of zero bombings.

There are numberless ways of doing the casing for a bomb, fire extinguishers or any kind of metal pipe for example. In any case the damage comes from the blast and shrapnel, the blast comes from the explosives themselves and the shrapnel can be mixed in, ye olde nail sprinkled bombe and such.

So, the Thai army "invented" this bottle? We have had this bottle for years in Scandinavia. One advantage is that you can see how full it is, and its a bit lighter. Its more costly than steel.

I guess the Thai army will offer a good refund on a trade, then all the terrorist will bring them all in. Of course, when they bring them in, they will detonate them at the same time!! Will the army "invent" plastic fire extinguishers also, or how about plastic cars?

Two questions:

how can the army collect all the old steel one that are around so the terrorists won't use them?

As the resign will get weak after some years, specially if damaged on the surface. How can the army ensure that in 20 years we don't have daily gas explosions?

by that time, everyone that made a profit on the scheme will be long gone

the terrorists will never figure out how to add a layer of shrapnel to the outside of the containers.

Nuts, Bolts, Ball Bearings, Nails etc...mixed internally work just as well.

In fact the insurgents in the south have been doing this since day1.