Wanted American child molestation suspect arrested in Udon Thani

webfact

Wanted American child molestation suspect arrested in Thailand
By Coconuts Bangkok

UDON THANI: -- Udon Thani police arrested Shawn Michael Mathews, a 41-year-old American who reportedly fled the US after posting bail in 2002 for charges of sexual assault on minors.

The wanted man was captured with the help of a tip off to Thai police from US authorities.

On Sept. 3, Mathews asked a friend to extend his tourist visa in Vientiane, Laos which gave US Embassy Vientiane officials a clue to his whereabouts.

The Embassy called Thai police who arrested Mathews at Somthawil Bungalow.

Matthews allegedly committed sexual assaults on minors in Utah and Illinois on March 21, 2002 and escaped from the US after posting bail, ThaiRath reported. He had reportedly been teaching at university in Udon Thani for the past two years and keeping a low profile. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/09/06/wanted-american-child-molestation-suspect-arrested-thailand

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-09-07

"Why is he in such a mess?"

"Tripped and fell down the stairs trying to escape"

"And that's what caused all this damage?"

"No, he kept going back up to try again, tripped and fell again. He tried to escape many times before we caught him."

whistling.gif

don`t bother to deport the thing, just let the kids parents and friends that he abused know where he is, tell them he will be released into a quiet rice paddy somewhere out of the way, when they come back a few hours later and find him dead, just suicide, quite common in TH as we all know, case closed.

Edited by briboy

Guys like that often "commit suicide" in jail. Even when it happens in the US as it just did with that creep who held those girls captive for so long, I always wonder.

Seriously. There are some people who won't put up with that crap and that's why they have to be held away from the general prison population.

There is an excellent movie called A Time To Kill where some young drinking punks rape a young girl in poor, Southern America. The father walked into the courthouse with a rifle and killed them in front of God and everyone. A jury refused to convict him, which means he was free to go, forever. To me it is heartwarming after the first bit, and well worth watching.

Of course some will disagree...

Guys like that often "commit suicide" in jail. Even when it happens in the US as it just did with that creep who held those girls captive for so long, I always wonder.

Seriously. There are some people who won't put up with that crap and that's why they have to be held away from the general prison population.

There is an excellent movie called A Time To Kill where some young drinking punks rape a young girl in poor, Southern America. The father walked into the courthouse with a rifle and killed them in front of God and everyone. A jury refused to convict him, which means he was free to go, forever. To me it is heartwarming after the first bit, and well worth watching.

I for one disagree with you. Death is too good for some offenders. They should be made to live all their life in a cell.

Well, not sure which would be worse. You know when, in the movies, the inmates beat up or kill child molesters.....that is in the movies because it is real. He will have a rough time in a US prison, without a doubt. Not sure how they are treated in Thai jails, but I guess the Thai jail is enough already. I wish him a long, long stay.

I for one disagree with you. Death is too good for some offenders. They should be made to live all their life in a cell.

Naaaaaaaah, the abused folk/family will have to pay for his upkeep. sad.png

hmmm Maybe in this case the Thai embassy in Laos helped the USA out, by informing them that he was there getting a visa? Other than usual NSA bugging everyone and everything, how else would US authorities know he was there? Great play name of "Short Eyes" about view prisoners have towards child molesters. may he have a Jeffrey Daumer experience.....

Flakey report (T.I.T.)...

He was in Illinois and Utah on the same day commiting crimes. A very fast traveller and very efficient.

However, without the 'crimes' being described, or his being convicted, everyone has already crucified him.

Reminds me of a time about 30 years ago when I was propositioned by my 12 year old neighbor. I told her Mother, but she didn't care, which left me puzzeled & concerned..

• Like 1

Re:

dighambara Post 15

Yes I agree with you there are so many inaccuracies in these reports .

I was even told the Thai version of events as reported on a Thai news site is different again.

1.He was in two different places on the same day.

2. A top University would not employ him for 2 years on a tourist visa. You are not allowed to work with a tourist visa. He would need a B visa, work permit. and letter from the Teacher Council of Thailand to work there. ALL not easy to get.

3. You cannot extend a tourist visa in Lao You have to apply for a new one at The Thai Consulate in Vientiane.

4. The American Embassy has nothing to do with issuing Thai visas.

Guilty or innocent this type of inaccurate reporting casts doubt on the whole issue,

The news media is supposed to report facts not their opinions.

hmmm Maybe in this case the Thai embassy in Laos helped the USA out, by informing them that he was there getting a visa? Other than usual NSA bugging everyone and everything, how else would US authorities know he was there? Great play name of "Short Eyes" about view prisoners have towards child molesters. may he have a Jeffrey Daumer experience.....

You seem to be another one that does not read the report correctly.

He was NOT in Lao He allegedly asked someone else to extend his visa ( NOT possible in Lao )

You get Visas from the Thai Consulate not the Embassy in Vientiane.

It is unlikely the Thai Embassy did anything to help the American Embassy

The reports on here and on Coconuts.com are totally inaccurate !!

I used to work with Mathews as a colleague NOT a friend and I was the one he asked to go to the American Embassy in Vientiane to have additional pages put in his full passport.

Fact 1. I went to the American Embassy in Vientiane to request additional pages for his passport.

Fact 2. It had nothing to do with any type of visa.

Fact 3. This took place on April 30th 2013 NOT September 3rd as reported.

Fact 4. When the American Embassy told me there was a problem with Mathews I insisted they contact him and explain the situation. This they reluctantly did when I was there.

Fact 4. I told the American Embassy where Mathews was working and the city he lived in.

Americans Embassy officials told me Mathews had an arrest warrant against him but gave me no details.

Fact 5. The American Embassy confiscated his passport which then meant Mathews was in Thailand illegally without a visa and passport for over 4 months .

Even if the Thai Immigration service do not care about his alleged offences he was still breaking

Thai law by staying and working in Thailand

BUT the most disturbing thing is why did it take so long to do something when The American authorities knew where Mathews was and that he was still working at a University ( I told them the name of the University too )

It looks like gross incompetence from both the Americans and Thai police/ Immigration

They allowed a suspected child molester to continue working with students

The American authorities knew where he was on April 30th 2013... Why take so long to do something ?

Edited by John2248

Keeping a low profile ?

Working at a Top University in Udon is not keeping a low profile !!

Also I first met Mathews when he went to most of the Language schools in Udon looking for additional work.

I believe he worked at several language schools part time in Udon too

He was definitely NOT keeping a low profile.......But I never heard anything bad against him, so he was keeping his nose clean here in Thailand.

I am sure the American authorities ( or prison inmates ) will deal with him in America if he is guilty.

The thing is with these cases and especially those committed in Thailand there is very rarely any follow up news. This leads me to believe there may be cases that, once the furore has died down, just go away once the appropriate people have been suitably palmgreased.

That may be the situation in Thailand But you cannot pay off your victims in Western countries

I used to work with Mathews as a colleague NOT a friend and I was the one he asked to go to the American Embassy in Vientiane to have additional pages put in his full passport.

Fact 1. I went to the American Embassy in Vientiane to request additional pages for his passport.

Fact 4. When the American Embassy told me there was a problem with Mathews I insisted they contact him and explain the situation. This they reluctantly did when I was there.

Fact 4. I told the American Embassy where Mathews was working and the city he lived in.

Americans Embassy officials told me Mathews had an arrest warrant against him but gave me no details.

Fact 5. The American Embassy confiscated his passport which then meant Mathews was in Thailand illegally without a visa and passport for over 4 months .

Even if the Thai Immigration service do not care about his alleged offences he was still breaking

BUT the most disturbing thing is why did it take so long to do something when The American authorities knew where Mathews was and that he was still working at a University ( I told them the name of the University too )

It looks like gross incompetence from both the Americans and Thai police/ Immigration

The American authorities knew where he was on April 30th 2013... Why take so long to do something ?

You could contact the State Department's Inspector General office if you think the case was handed badly by the embassy.

• Like 1

Fact 1. I went to the American Embassy in Vientiane to request additional pagesks for his passport.

You could contact the State Department's Inspector General office if you think the case was handed badly by the embassy.

Thanks for the advice BUT guilty or innocent, mud sticks,and I just wanted to set the record straight NOT get involved.

I would not like to have my name linked to a suspected child molester.

Let the authorities put their own house in order. ...............BUT I am sure they will just cover up their incompetence as shown in this report.

Edited by John2248

Fact 1. I went to the American Embassy in Vientiane to request additional pagesks for his passport.

Thanks for the advice BUT guilty or innocent, mud sticks,and I just wanted to set the record straight NOT get involved.

Let the authorities put their own house in order. ...............BUT I am sure they will just cover up their incompetence as shown in this report.

Just a question. Why did you travel all the way to Laos to request a passport for somebody you say you didn't like or were particularly close to?

Says a lot about the vetting process for foreign nationals teaching here doesn't it.

Sadly, yes........................xbah.gif.pagespeed.ic.UBlCYNwc5a.webp

But very little is heard about sexual offences committed by Thai Teachers against children, with the exception of a recent one about a female Thai teacher and an under aged boy.

Just a question. Why did you travel all the way to Laos to request a passport for somebody you say you didn't like or were particularly close to?

I had to go to The Thai Consulate in Vientiane to renew my own visa and was asked to do someone a favor whilst I was there . Also Mathew's passport was full and he did not have any free pages needed for a new visa . ........ We farangs often help complete strangers

Edited by John2248