Do I need a Thai driving license for an insurance claim?

Your UK license will be fine no problem

This is not true, your insurance will be void as you have no permission to drive in Thailand . Thai Licence or International Licence

cheesy.gif Do you even have a car with insurance in Thailand? You don't need an international driving license as that stupid permit is for Europe.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe (hope rather, if I am the injured party) that the compulsary 3rd-party insurance pays, regardless of whether the driver has a valid licence. I know that at least some insurance companies won't pay the damage to the own vehicle if the driver does not have a valid licence. If you live here, that means Thai licence. The discussion whether an IDP is needed refers to tourists or newcomers. Sent from my I-405 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes like i said friend of the GF had a car ford fiesta, her brother loaned the car but had no insurance, crashed the car. No money was going to be paid for the car as there was no valid drivers license. Not sure if they are going to get the money they paid to the third party also from drivers without a valid drivers-license. Because in this case it was a one sided crash no other cars involved.

Did you friend marry my ex? sounds like what happen to my old girlfriend.. Brother borrows car but doesn't have license.. car gets written off.

I doubt it this happened a few days ago and both friend and her brother are Thai. They could not change the names anymore because it was in the news so police contacts did not help. The passenger who did not have his seatbelt on a nephew also around 20 got killed. Brother survived because of the seatbelts.

This is not true, your insurance will be void as you have no permission to drive in Thailand . Thai Licence or International Licence

cheesy.gif Do you even have a car with insurance in Thailand? You don't need an international driving license as that stupid permit is for Europe.

Im pretty sure if they find out your not a tourist been here longer and still no Thai DL your foreign license wont cut it, because if they can find an excuse not to pay they will. Besides if your here longer you need a Thai DL that is the law.

• Like 1

This seems to be going round in circles with pointless I say you say arguments.

The following applies for UK licence holders, other countries may have different agreements with Thailand. The OP has a UK licence.

Put simply and with extracts from RAC and AA websites below as proof:

1. If a tourist in Thailand you need your full UK licence + an IDP, International Driving Permit.

2. If staying if Thailand for a longer period than normal tourism you should get a Thai driving licence.

3. Things on the ground will differ on how different insurance companies or BIBs deal with drivers not complying with this law, but then your insurance and your legal status will be reliant on the roll of a dice.

For British motorists the RAC and the AA both say on their websites:

Cut & pasted from the RAC site:

http://www.rac.co.uk/travel/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit/where-do-i-need-an-idp/

Where do I need an IDP?

I am traveling to:Thailand .

Thailand

You will need an International Driving Permit, IDP 1949 to drive here.

From AA website:

http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/index.html

An IDP is a permit for use in conjunction with your driving licence, not in place of it

Persons going to a country to take up residence or employment, or for any reason other than tourism, should make enquiries about their personal position before relying on a permit

The AA and RAC websites are wrong.

The AA and RAC both sell IDPs on their sites and therefore would be profiting from their incorrect information.

This would surely leave them vulnerable to being sued by the many people who have purchased IDPs from them based on the info they provide.

I would thus assume they have OK'd this info with their legal depts first.

The AA list of countries that require IDPs has a list of notes from A-R giving each countries different local rules, suggesting that the Geneva IDP Convention is not a one glove fits all, but that local (sub-laws, by-laws?) need also to be considered.

The RAC also point out the different requirements when you choose your country.

The advice they both give for Thailand is straight forward, you need a IDP with a UK Licence.

You may indeed be correct with your interpretation of the rules, but as both the AA and RAC are considered to be the foremost authority on driving matters in the UK then I will stick to their advice on their website until it is either changed, or someone sues them for return of their monies.

I would consider emailing their legal depts, but as I already have a Thai DL I cant be bothered.

I am not naive and realise that even established corporations can try it on in order to increase their profits. One way of trying it on might be that old UK licences do not have photos and so they could argue that's why they kept to the IDP advice.

As for in the real world I think your observation that most BIBs would accept a valid UK licence with a photo is true, but its still a roll of a dice, even if the dice is loaded in your favour.

The following applies for UK licence holders, other countries may have different agreements with Thailand. The OP has a UK licence.

1. If a tourist in Thailand you need your full UK licence + an IDP, International Driving Permit.

2. If staying if Thailand for a longer period than normal tourism you should get a Thai driving licence.

3. Things on the ground will differ on how different insurance companies or BIBs deal with drivers not complying with this law, but then your insurance and your legal status will be reliant on the roll of a dice.

http://www.rac.co.uk/travel/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit/where-do-i-need-an-idp/

Where do I need an IDP?

Thailand

From AA website:

An IDP is a permit for use in conjunction with your driving licence, not in place of it

Persons going to a country to take up residence or employment, or for any reason other than tourism, should make enquiries about their personal position before relying on a permit

No need for IDP (Permit, not license), no matter what AA and RAC say. Even Thai consulates/embassies have this requirement on their website, but that still does not make it true.

• Like 1

If you pay for the insurance and they issue it, the insurance has to pay. The legality of your situation is a separate albeit significant issue.

Not true, policy conditions must be met before they have to pay. In most policies you will see that a valid license is required, and if the OP is living here a valid license means a Thai license, not a UK one.

I would not expect the insurance company to check, but can't exclude the possibility as well.

Friend of my gf.. Thai has a brother who had no license used her car and crashed it.. insurance would not pay out because no valid drivers license.

Yes, and they are (depending on the policy conditions) probably entitled to refuse as I wrote.

The OP is talking about a minor accident, they may check and they may not.

The most amusing aspect of this debate for me is the number of long term "residents" who insist that using an oversea,s license is ok and legal, my .question for them is ? Are you really that cheap Charlie you don't want to spend the THB 500 odd to get a Thai DL, then there is no debate about insurance if your in a prang

And for those who wish to be at one with you Thainess, this document gets you just one step closer so you can show all your fellow farangs in Nakhon nowhere how "thai" you really are....you have an official government document with you photo on Almost like real thai with thei ID,s, and with pride you can whip out your DL when asked for identification, unlike those pesky farang tourists who carry there PP every where

The most amusing aspect of this debate for me is the number of long term "residents" who insist that using an oversea,s license is ok and legal, my .question for them is ? Are you really that cheap Charlie you don't want to spend the THB 500 odd to get a Thai DL, then there is no debate about insurance if your in a prang

<snip>

Not only no debate, for long term residents a foreign DL, with our without IDP, does not meet a legal requirements.

And for those who wish to be at one with you Thainess, this document gets you just one step closer so you can show all your fellow farangs in Nakhon nowhere how "thai" you really are....you have an official government document with you photo on Almost like real thai with thei ID,s, and with pride you can whip out your DL when asked for identification, unlike those pesky farang tourists who carry there PP every where

I also don't get it its just 1 or 2 days out of your life getting it. (depending on the documents). Saves so much hassle.

I also don't get it its just 1 or 2 days out of your life getting it. (depending on the documents). Saves so much hassle.

Exactly, And if one day said personages are in a prang and the insurance won't pay because they don't have a thai DL pretty sure they will be back on TV screaming how the thai insurance company scammed them, where ever I have lived and worked in the world it's pretty much the first thing I try and get my hands on .....a local DL

• Like 2

You are still not getting it. There is no debate about whether a resident expat should drive on their home DL or get a Thai DL. If you are a resident, you need a Thai DLperiod, There is no debating this. If you are a tourist or visitor, you need your DL from home. Getting an IDP is fine, it's just not required.

Where do I need an IDP?

Thailand

From AA website:

The AA and RAC websites are wrong.

The AA and RAC both sell IDPs on their sites and therefore would be profiting from their incorrect information...<snip>

+1

I would consider emailing their legal depts, but as I already have a Thai DL I cant be bothered.

Where do I need an IDP?

Thailand

From AA website:

No need for IDP (Permit, not license), no matter what AA and RAC say. Even Thai consulates/embassies have this requirement on their website, but that still does not make it true.

I actually contacted both the AA, RAC and the consulates which had this misinformation in their websites. The response I got was pretty amusing. Each referenced the other as the source of their info! One also mentioned they would rather err on the side of caution. That I understand. There are always going to be BIB's that will try to use this to scam tourists, and I think the AA, RAC, and consulates "legal departments" are more worried about that than someone suing them for having to pay $15 for an IDP they didn't need.

You are still not getting it. There is no debate about whether a resident expat should drive on their home DL or get a Thai DL. If you are a resident, you need a Thai DLperiod, There is no debating this. If you are a tourist or visitor, you need your DL from home. Getting an IDP is fine, it's just not required.

Who is not getting it ? I got it 3 months after arriving here....IDP used for 90 days, 1 year and then 5 year Thai DL your preaching to the choir buddy LOL

• Like 1

Who is not getting it ? I got it 3 months after arriving here....IDP used for 90 days, 1 year and then 5 year Thai DL your preaching to the choir buddy LOL

Sorry, I misunderstood after reading your first line. Thought you were saying that driving as a tourist on your home license was illegal.

Because its kinda of a PITA and the fine for driving without one is only B 2000 I recall. And if your insurance company doesn't require one, why bother. Plus I don't care about getting local prices at various roadside attractions.

Because its kinda of a PITA and the fine for driving without one is only B 2000 I recall. And if your insurance company doesn't require one, why bother. Plus I don't care about getting local prices at various roadside attractions.

Ah yes an other guy with an inflated sense of self importance. Complaining about low so motorcycles in an other thread and not even owning a proper car license. But as you have seen your insurance company does require one no license and you can be screwed.

• Like 2

Getting a visa for Thailand every year is a kinda PITA as well, plus the fine is only Thb 20000 for an overstay so suppose that's ok as well then, think we are back to the sense of superiority some farangs have in Thailand, the rules don't apply to me, only the natives....

You are still not getting it. ..............

.................... Getting an IDP is fine, it's just not required.

It's you, for all your research, who isn't getting it - in Thailand (and Cambodia)you do.

You can go to Soi 9 Police Station in Pattaya any time you like and see farang (who perhaps listened to the likes of you) queuing up to pay their 400 Baht to retrieve their Home DL or bike keys.

With the cost of a UK IDP at 275 Baht and the risk of getting fined 400 Baht every day of your holiday that doesn't seem like good advice you're giving out to me.

I think you're just trolling.

It's you, for all your research, who isn't getting it - in Thailand (and Cambodia)you do.

You can go to Soi 9 Police Station in Pattaya any time you like and see farang (who perhaps listened to the likes of you) queuing up to pay their 400 Baht to retrieve their Home DL or bike keys.

With the cost of a UK IDP at 275 Baht and the risk of getting fined 400 Baht every day of your holiday that doesn't seem like good advice you're giving out to me.

IDP is not required for tourists, but Thai license is for longer staying 'tourists'. Yes, it can be helpful, but that does not make it required.

I don't see any advice in Joe's statement above, so criticizing for an advice given is a bit strange.

• Like 1

IDP is not required for tourists, but Thai license is for longer staying 'tourists'. Yes, it can be helpful, but that does not make it required.

I don't see any advice in Joe's statement above, so criticizing for an advice given is a bit strange.

False

False

If you want to correct, please do so. IMO my statement is totally true, but I'm open to arguments, not just one-liners that add nothing but only disrupt.

I'm not giving advice. I am stating the law, with references. If you want to debate the validity of the references, then that is one thing. I welcome any new evidence which contradicts mine.

As I said before, the farangs in Pattaya are queuing up to pay a fine for either driving a motorbike on a car license from home, or driving a car or motorbike on their home license when they are residents, not tourists.

As I said before, the farangs in Pattaya are queuing up to pay a fine for either driving a motorbike on a car license from home, or driving a car or motorbike on their home license when they are residents, not tourists.

Nope - No IDP and they're getting tickets..........every day.

Sorry, that's impossible.

Sure it is possible. They may have IDP (so are legally driving on their home license) but if they are residents that has no validity, Thai DL is required.

Sure it is possible. They may have IDP (so are legally driving on their home license) but if they are residents that has no validity, Thai DL is required.

Yes of course, but he is not saying that. He is saying that he thinks they are tourists driving on their home licenses with no IDP and getting a ticket for it, which can't possibly be correct. Maybe that station is going rogue and hoping no one challenges them. It happens here unfortunately. Like I said, it's not a bad idea to have an IDP, just not required by law. I reckon the AA and RAC people know Thai cops are wholly corrupt and that is probably why they keep the "IDP required" bit up on their websites.

In another thread from several months ago (the post is included in my long post from earlier) a "long stay tourist" in Pattaya got pinched for having a motorcycle license from home. He spoke Thai to the cop, which of course will spell certain doom if you don't have a Thai license. I suggested that the next time he goes through the checkpoint, don't speak Thai, but just point to the "motorcycle" on the license and keep repeating "international already" and sure as shit, the next day he did just that and no ticket.

What? I have a European driving licence and don't need an IDP there.