Do I need a Thai driving license for an insurance claim?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Por Ror Bor...the compulsory insuyrance you will be covered even if you have no licence but may have to pay a 500 baht fine.

With others it depends on the policy. Some are freer than others. A few just require you to have had a valid drivers licence whether it expired a long time ago or not.

Last time I checked some years ago you were allowed to drive for three months on a foreign license but then needed to get a Thai license. Therefore if you are leaving the country as many do every 90 days no need to get a Thai license. This is also the same in Australia.

Strictly you also need the International Driving Permit to go with your foreign licence.

Some insurances will only accept a Thai Licence.

If you pay for the insurance and they issue it, the insurance has to pay. The legality of your situation is a separate albeit significant issue.

Ha Ha if you have mislead the insurance company stating you have a valid driving licence (this means Thai or International licence) you are simply not covered you have no permission to legally drive in Thailand

• Like 1

You guys stating that a valid drivers license, either Thai, farang, or international, is required for one's Thai insurance policy to cover a claim are wrong. Most Thai auto policies DON'T require the insured to have a license. Makes sense, actually because they are insuring the vehicle and not the driver.

This is also probably because so many Thais don't have licenses but drive vehicles that if they required one, their potential pool of insureds would shrink too much.

Having or not having a license is an issue between you and the police (small fines) and not one's insurer.

My Car?....In whose name is it registered. If its Fully Insured by the Owner as No 1 Cover,providing you have not exceeded the Visa Requirements, its Full Cover, after that period of Visa Exemption, without a Thai Licence you're in Deep Poo. They will not Pay Out. Same for Thais as well.thumbsup.gif

Your UK license will be fine no problem

If you pay for the insurance and they issue it, the insurance has to pay. The legality of your situation is a separate albeit significant issue.

Different experiences no doubt, but I was insured First Class by Viriyah and the repair was done by Central Garage.

When the work was finally complete (5 months) Central called to tell me not to forget to bring my Thai DL.

As it happened, I didn't have one when the accident occurred but got one two weeks before collecting the car.

I asked Central why they needed to see my Thai Dl and they pointed out a condition in the policy's small print.....in Thai obviously.

They said that if they couldn't show Viriyah a copy of my Thai DL then they wouldn't get paid, so they wouldn't have released the car unless I paid for the repair.

Edited by mickba
  • Like 2

Ha Ha if you have mislead the insurance company stating you have a valid driving licence (this means Thai or International licence) you are simply not covered you have no permission to legally drive in Thailand

This is not true, your insurance will be void as you have no permission to drive in Thailand . Thai Licence or International Licence

Strictly you also need the International Driving Permit to go with your foreign licence.

No IDP required, provided home license is in English, has photo, is valid for the driven vehicle and the user is not living here so does not require a Thai DL.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

You guys stating that a valid drivers license, either Thai, farang, or international, is required for one's Thai insurance policy to cover a claim are wrong. Most Thai auto policies DON'T require the insured to have a license. Makes sense, actually because they are insuring the vehicle and not the driver.

This is also probably because so many Thais don't have licenses but drive vehicles that if they required one, their potential pool of insureds would shrink too much.

Having or not having a license is an issue between you and the police (small fines) and not one's insurer.

I did not count the policies to make this claim, but 'Most Thai auto policies DON'T require the insured to have a license' is IMO not true. Most do require that, exactly because of the reason you state: the policy goes with the car, and the insurance companies don't want to run the risk of having to pay for somebody who does not have a valid license.

See e.g. the post by user mickba 2 posts up (# 14).

Edited by stevenl

Its entirely dependent on the insurance company both if they even check or if they apply the fine print. No one answer on here will be definitive.

Years ago when I didnt have a Thai license I got insurance on an jeep.. The style used around phuket often as renters.. As I thought I might rent or loan it I asked this to the sales people when sorting the policy and they assured me they would pay on ANY license.. I demanded this in writing once they made the policy and it was like pulling teeth to get them to put in writing what they were so happy to assure me verbally. Took multiple visits to the office and ultimately holding money back to make it happen. Lots of back and forth with managers from the sales staff when I didnt understand the Thai.

My suspicion was that in the event of such a claim it might not have been as open and shut as they were saying. I never did rent it or claim tho.

This is not true, your insurance will be void as you have no permission to drive in Thailand . Thai Licence or International Licence

No IDP required, provided home license is in English, has photo, is valid for the driven vehicle and the user is not living here so does not require a Thai DL.

Stevenl is correct, An IDP is not required in Thailand for tourists and visitors, with the added stipulation that your home country and Thailand have a reciprocal agreement on the mutual acceptance of licenses, and the vast majority do. Residents need a Thai DL. And there is no such thing as an "international license."

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 2

I'd think that all insurance companies are trying not to pay if possible. A friend of mine drove a rented car and another guy caused an accident.

The insurance guys wanted to see a Thai driver's license, so I had to show them mine. Even when they knew that I wasn't driving the vehicle.

I'd say that an IDP is needed when going to other countries.

But to get back to the OP's problem. Just say that somebody, who's holding a Thai drivers license was driving. The insurance is for the vehicle, but insurance companies do want to see a license that's appropriate for Thailand.

If I were you, I'd say that Mr./Mrs. X drove the car. ( If there's no police report. Believe me that could be expensive, if they don't accept your license.

How would it be if a Thai would have an accident in the UK, driving with an ordinary Thai permit? Good luck!-wai2.gif

Last time I checked some years ago you were allowed to drive for three months on a foreign license but then needed to get a Thai license. Therefore if you are leaving the country as many do every 90 days no need to get a Thai license. This is also the same in Australia.

On the surface, I agree with the above. There is a purpose in having an International Drivers License. For a while, it will substitute for a UK Driving License. A UK Driving License is just that. It permits you to drive in the UK, and no where else, legally.

• Like 1

Stevenl is correct, An IDP is not required in Thailand for tourists and visitors, with the added stipulation that your home country and Thailand have a reciprocal agreement on the mutual acceptance of licenses, and the vast majority do. Residents need a Thai DL. And there is no such thing as an "international license.

"And there is no such thing as an "international license."

Hogwash!

Stevenl is correct, An IDP is not required in Thailand for tourists and visitors, with the added stipulation that your home country and Thailand have a reciprocal agreement on the mutual acceptance of licenses, and the vast majority do. Residents need a Thai DL. And there is no such thing as an "international license.

Hogwash!

Nonsense& 2.. I've got my ordinary Thai license for cars and bikes and an International license, issued in my province.

Was only possible in Bangkok before, but now available at all transport departments.-wai2.gif

Hogwash!

No it is not. An International driving permit is needed. It is a document issued which certifies the types of vehicle you can drive in many languages. It must be presented with the original licence or is totally void. It is not a licence.

Thailand is not a country which has signed the latest convention on driving and thus the old system of needing an IDP applies here. It is mainly European countries that have and they do not need it in their country if the licence is in English.

Edited by harrry

HTGR

We found something on the internet the other day. It is in the Road Safety Act or whatever it is called. It does not matter what visa you enter on be it 30 day exempt, tourist, Non-O if your reason for visiting is not normal tourist like a backpacker or package holidaymaker your national licence is not valid. There is no international licence any IDP is only valid as an appendage to your national licence. You have to have a Thai licence. If you are visiting your wife, have your own car, do or have something a normal tourist would not you are not a tourist. We were surprised as well. Don't listen to others just do your own research but this is correct.

Will the insurance ask the right questions that is the point. Remember no insurance no bailbond. Is somebody going to chase round to get their chanote or money to get you out of a cell.

Policy conditions have to be met. Some policies do state you have to have a Thai licence.

Stevenl is correct, An IDP is not required in Thailand for tourists and visitors, with the added stipulation that your home country and Thailand have a reciprocal agreement on the mutual acceptance of licenses, and the vast majority do. Residents need a Thai DL. And there is no such thing as an "international license."

I can't believe how misinformed some people are and how keen they are to mislead others.

Yes, there is a reciprocal agreement between some countries?

It's called s Geneva Convention and there are three of them.

Thailand signed up to the 1949 Convention and is listed as one of those countries where an IDP is required.

Lots of people apparently listen to wrong advice as scores of them are being fined every day in Pattaya for not producing an IDP, regardless of how long they're here for.

If you're not sure, please don't have a guess or pass on something you heard in the bar, take the trouble to read up on it.

For Brits, look here :- http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/index.html

• Like 2

When I took out my insurance on a new pickup they were quite happy with my UK licence untill I had a claim for some vandalism and then they said there was a problem as I did not have a Thai license. I did get a little bit angry and told them if they did not carry out the repairs that I would get more angry, they carried out the repairs and it did not affect my no claims as someone told me it would.

Mickba beat me to it with the AA link. I agree with his post, if giving advice please check your facts first it could seriously affect someone's legal status in an accident. Where possible back up your claims with a link to an authoritative source.

• This is the RAC link for British drivers:

http://www.rac.co.uk/travel/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit/where-do-i-need-an-idp.aspx

I can say that very few of you know what you are talking about,,,,I just had some minor scratches

repaired on (My new car that I Bought)in my girlfriends name, she has no licence I am the driver, I have a Thai Drivers Licence,The car is insured.To get it repaired they asked me for my driving licence

before the insurance gave the ok to get the car repaired smile.png)

• Like 1