Do I need a Thai driving license for an insurance claim?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can say that very few of you know what you are talking about,,,,I just had some minor scratches

repaired on (My new car that I Bought)in my girlfriends name, she has no licence I am the driver, I have a Thai Drivers Licence,The car is insured.To get it repaired they asked me for my driving licence

before the insurance gave the ok to get the car repaired smile.png)

As I said earlier, the insurer which asked for my Thai DL was Viriyah (quite a significant one).

Can you name yours?

I can say that very few of you know what you are talking about,,,,I just had some minor scratches

repaired on (My new car that I Bought)in my girlfriends name, she has no licence I am the driver, I have a Thai Drivers Licence,The car is insured.To get it repaired they asked me for my driving licence

before the insurance gave the ok to get the car repaired smile.png)

A speeding and doing a red light Kathoey on a Monday morning had almost killed me when his freaking Toyota pick up hit my cabin so bad, that I'd been unconscious.

A seriously injured spine, some broken ribs etc the result. Took three hospitals to figure that out.

I had ordinary insurance, as my car's already some moons old, the owner of the Toyota had first class insurance. ( wasn't the owner, who';d caused the accident)

To male a long story short. They wouldn't have fixed my car, nor payed for other expenses without my Thai drivers' license. Guess I had to show my license at least 100 times.

I'm wondering why some guys here think they know something, but obviously don't.

I could go to any country with my Thai International license. In most countries good for 6 months.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 2

Last time I checked some years ago you were allowed to drive for three months on a foreign license but then needed to get a Thai license. Therefore if you are leaving the country as many do every 90 days no need to get a Thai license. This is also the same in Australia.

Strictly you also need the International Driving Permit to go with your foreign licence.

Some insurances will only accept a Thai Licence.

On the surface, I agree with the above. There is a purpose in having an International Drivers License. For a while, it will substitute for a UK Driving License. A UK Driving License is just that. It permits you to drive in the UK, and no where else, legally.
It does not substitute. There is no international licence. It is an International Driving Permit issued by the AA in UK and is only valid with either a photo or old type UK licence not as a separate entity..
  • Like 2

Don't think that you can claim anything as you drive by Thai law without license anyway. A UK license is not a international driving license! Don't know why so many people think they can use any license in any country. Another thing is, that expats can use the international licese only the first 3 month of stay!!!! After a Thai license MUST be done to drive a motorbike or car. Any use of a car or bike after that without driving license is illegall. Mostly it is tolerated if nothing happens, but don't cry or get angry if you get fined. Insurances are clever enough to check it out before they pay.

If you pay for the insurance and they issue it, the insurance has to pay. The legality of your situation is a separate albeit significant issue.

That's absolute bu**sh*t. You have to have a legal licence. It is not legal to drive in Thailand without either a Thai licence or an International Licence.

I would think that your insurance company would have every right to refuse your claim.

• Like 2

If you pay for the insurance and they issue it, the insurance has to pay. The legality of your situation is a separate albeit significant issue.

That's absolute bu**sh*t. You have to have a legal licence. It is not legal to drive in Thailand without either a Thai licence or an International Licence.

I would think that your insurance company would have every right to refuse your claim.

Some policies state Thai driver license and some just say drivers license.I had a Lawyer read my policy and check.That was about

ten years ago. I am sure when you rent from hertz or Avis in Thailand your foreign d license Is accepted and there for legal.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I just read the rules for hertz car rentals Thailand.It says a driving license from foreign country is fine as long a it is English. If from a country with no English THEN you need a English translation such as a international.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I have always worked on the following basis...

On your initial entry to Thailand, you can drive with your home licence with an IDP. (International Drivers Permit is NOT a licence - it is simply a form to translate your home licence to a few other languages, and convert your home country's vehicle categories into the equivalent international standard vehicle categories.) On an extension of stay - you need a Thai licence. So whether you can get by with IDPs (which you have to apply for each year), or need to get a Thai licence, which after the first year, is a 5 year process, depends on how you stay in Thailand.

i.e. If you're flying back and forth all the time, and never extend a visa, you'll find an IDP will work for you...

(The UK - with a Thai licence, is slightly different... - For your first year, you can drive on a Thai licence + IDP, but after that (i.e. FLR/ILR) - you need to get a UK licence.

edit: reformat as all my paragraphs got merged...

Edited by bkk_mike

Not true, policy conditions must be met before they have to pay. In most policies you will see that a valid license is required, and if the OP is living here a valid license means a Thai license, not a UK one.

I would not expect the insurance company to check, but can't exclude the possibility as well.

When I claimed they required my driving licence which was at that time a UK licence, I did not have any problems with them settling the claim for my vehicle which had been stolen. In fact I got more than I paid for it!. The UK licence can be driven on for up to 6 months from the last date of entry into the Country, however it is easy to obtain a Thai Driving licence if you have a one year permission to stay.

• Like 1

Don't think that you can claim anything as you drive by Thai law without license anyway. A UK license is not a international driving license! Don't know why so many people think they can use any license in any country. Another thing is, that expats can use the international licese only the first 3 month of stay!!!! After a Thai license MUST be done to drive a motorbike or car. Any use of a car or bike after that without driving license is illegall. Mostly it is tolerated if nothing happens, but don't cry or get angry if you get fined. Insurances are clever enough to check it out before they pay.

Wrong info! A UK driving licence is perfectly legal and is valid for driving in Thailand for 6 months. No international licence (Translation) is required for a UK licence. Also Singapore, Malaysia and Laos Driving Licences are legal at all times for driving in Thailand. Thai driving licences are legal at all times for driving in Singapore, Laos and Malaysia. I drove for two years in Malaysia on my Thai driving licence as it is valid at all times.

• Like 1

I don't know what the law really is, IF there is a law. But after buying my first car here, and having 1st class insurance, from the Toyota dealer, my car was in a flood. At my house. It didn't have anything to do with driving. It was parked at my house, same house my car was registered to also. Flood came, my car went under. A major flood that half the city was involved in.

The insurance company, had me come to their office, THREE (3) TIMES, to show my THAI diver's licence ...and to copy it, whatever. I'm pretty sure they thought I didn't have one, so I wouldn't be covered, however I was confused since DRIVING was not an issue in this case, and my car was at my house ...however, this is what happened. I did have the proper license.

I'm pretty sure that all insurance companies, will tell a person, that any license they have is fine, but when it come to paying, they will not pay, if they can avoid it. That is true all over the world, not just Thailand. However, maybe only certain agents, will lie about what license you need, (i.e. common in Thailand to say YES, no problem, no worry, all is okay, when it is not?)

I am pretty sure, in my past research, that no car insurance will cover people here, unless they have a Thai driver's license. Why would they? More people to take money from and not provide any value ...they probably tell that to Thais who have no license either ...but I cannot be sure. Get the money, most people don't make claims, if they make claims, then deny them ...."oh, who told you that you don't need a license? Do you have that in writing?" Oh, NO you don't, some girl at the bank said that, and you bought the insurance, too bad for you!

Someone made 100 baht extra that day in commission, or maybe 2000 baht, who knows ...?

• Like 1

You do know there is no such thing as an international Licence.......... kinda makes the rest of your post absolute bu**sh*t.

• Like 1

Ha Ha if you have mislead the insurance company stating you have a valid driving licence (this means Thai or International licence) you are simply not covered you have no permission to legally drive in Thailand

This is not true, your insurance will be void as you have no permission to drive in Thailand . Thai Licence or International Licence

Strictly you also need the International Driving Permit to go with your foreign licence.

No IDP required, provided home license is in English, has photo, is valid for the driven vehicle and the user is not living here so does not require a Thai DL.

Stevenl is correct, An IDP is not required in Thailand for tourists and visitors, with the added stipulation that your home country and Thailand have a reciprocal agreement on the mutual acceptance of licenses, and the vast majority do. Residents need a Thai DL. And there is no such thing as an "international license."

What? No International License? Really. I've checked in my wallet and there it is. A Thai international licence, valid for 30 years as long as my New Zealand license remains valid. The BIB are happy with it and so are the insurance companies.

This seems to be going round in circles with pointless I say you say arguments.

The following applies for UK licence holders, other countries may have different agreements with Thailand. The OP has a UK licence.

Put simply and with extracts from RAC and AA websites below as proof:

1. If a tourist in Thailand you need your full UK licence + an IDP, International Driving Permit.
2. If staying if Thailand for a longer period than normal tourism you should get a Thai driving licence.
3. Things on the ground will differ on how different insurance companies or BIBs deal with drivers not complying with this law, but then your insurance and your legal status will be reliant on the roll of a dice.

For British motorists the RAC and the AA both say on their websites:

Cut & pasted from the RAC site:
http://www.rac.co.uk/travel/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit/where-do-i-need-an-idp/
Where do I need an IDP?
I am traveling to:Thailand .
Thailand
You will need an International Driving Permit, IDP 1949 to drive here.

From AA website:
http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/index.html
An IDP is a permit for use in conjunction with your driving licence, not in place of it
Persons going to a country to take up residence or employment, or for any reason other than tourism, should make enquiries about their personal position before relying on a permit

• Like 1

Ha Ha if you have mislead the insurance company stating you have a valid driving licence (this means Thai or International licence) you are simply not covered you have no permission to legally drive in Thailand

This is not true, your insurance will be void as you have no permission to drive in Thailand . Thai Licence or International Licence

No IDP required, provided home license is in English, has photo, is valid for the driven vehicle and the user is not living here so does not require a Thai DL.

Stevenl is correct, An IDP is not required in Thailand for tourists and visitors, with the added stipulation that your home country and Thailand have a reciprocal agreement on the mutual acceptance of licenses, and the vast majority do. Residents need a Thai DL. And there is no such thing as an "international license."

What? No International License? Really. I've checked in my wallet and there it is. A Thai international licence, valid for 30 years as long as my New Zealand license remains valid. The BIB are happy with it and so are the insurance companies.

I am not quite sure what your on about but most certainly a Thai IDP is only valid for 12 months and this is fact as I have had multiple ones over the years from MoChit, further you cannot get an IDP in Thailand on the basis of NZ DL it needs to be a 5 year thai DL

The only 30 year international licenses I have every come across are the fake ones being sold on line, same as the fake NATO ones

I can't believe how misinformed some people are and how keen they are to mislead others.

Yes, there is a reciprocal agreement between some countries?

It's called s Geneva Convention and there are three of them.

Thailand signed up to the 1949 Convention and is listed as one of those countries where an IDP is required.

Lots of people apparently listen to wrong advice as scores of them are being fined every day in Pattaya for not producing an IDP, regardless of how long they're here for.

If you're not sure, please don't have a guess or pass on something you heard in the bar, take the trouble to read up on it.

For Brits, look here :- http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/index.html

Ok, time for the long post again.

I actually can believe how misinformed people are, as there is a lot of misinformation on the net, (especially those auto club websites) which you, gleeglee, stoli and some others have now added to. Seems about every 6 months or so a new batch of people show up om Thaivisa professing to know what is and what isn't the law here and I have to post this again.

I got interested in this topic a few years ago when I keep hearing people say an IDP was required here, yet through dozens of checkpoints and a few accidents, I never needed an IDP, nor did I need one to rent a car, and I was hearing from a lot of other people the same thing. So what gives? Here is the answer.

There are not "three Geneva Conventions." There is one. The 1926 (Warsaw) and 1968 (Vienna) conventions do not apply to Thailand.

Scores of people are not being fined for not having an IDP, but I don't put it past the odd policeman to try one on hoping you won't know the law, which sadly most people don't. People are being fined for being residents and not having a Thai licenses, and scores of people are being fined for having only a car license from home while driving a motorbike here.

I have driven both cars and bikes all over Thailand. I have crashed more than once. I was a cop back home and am I volunteer with the police in Thailand and have lived here 12 years next week. Any police volunteer can tell you what I am telling you, but I know that is not enough for some people so I will provide proof. I guarantee you everything I have said is accurate. Below is the text with reference from the 1949 convention which very clearly does not require contract states (such as Thailand) to require IDP's. But treaties are not laws. All we really need to look at is the Thai law. Thai law specifically states a foreign visitor can drive on their home license. This information was provided to me by the Thai Highway Police. But even that may not be enough for some people, so in addition are several first hand reports of encounters with police, as well as the policies and email responses from several rental and insurance companies in Thailand. Not one states or replied an IDP was required.

CHAPTER V; GENEVA CONVENTION ON ROAD TRAFFIC OF 1949

DRIVERS OF MOTOR VEHICLES IN INTERNATIONAL TRAFFIC
Article 24
1. Each Contracting State* shall allow any driver admitted to its territory who fulfills the conditions which are set out in Annex 8** and who holds a valid driving permit issued to him, after he has given proof of his competence, by the competent authority of another Contracting State or subdivision thereof, or by an Association duly empowered by such authority, to drive on its roads without further examination motor vehicles of the category or categories defined in Annexes 9 and 10 for which the permit has been issued.
2. A Contracting State may however require that any driver admitted to its territory shall carry an international driving permit conforming to the model contained in Annex 10, especially in the case of a driver coming from a country where a domestic driving permit is not required or where the domestic permit issued to him does not conform to the model contained in Annex 9***.
* Thailand is a contracting state, as they became a party via accession on 15 Aug, 1962.
** Annex 8 references required age of drivers.
*** Annex 9 describes the size of domestic driving permit (driver’s license) colour, size, English language, photo size, etc.
Notice in paragraph 2 the word "may" in bold as well as the bit after "especially...". I added the *'s so people don't have to look them up. It's crystal clear that the treaty does not require contracting states to require an IDP.
Motoring Act of 1979
Title 3: Driver's License
Section 42
Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle on public roads must possess an appropriate driver's license. The driver must carry the driver's license and a photocopy of the registration book and show them to competent officers upon request. This does not apply for those who are learning to drive a motor vehicle according to the provision of Section 57.
If the driver is an alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa, he may drive a motor vehicle with a driver's license specified in the Section 42-2. In such a case, he must carry documents specified by the treaty between the Thai government and the government which issued such driver's license, and show them to competent officers upon request.
Section 42-2
In case there's a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver's license, an alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver's license issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorized by such a foreign government.
Unofficial English Translation: http://www.bkkriders.com/law/motorvehicle.html
It clearly states that if there is mutual acceptance of licenses through treaty (i.e. the treaty above) then "an alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver's license issued by such a foreign government". Note that your home country and Thailand must have a treaty on mutual licenses. The vast majority do.
---
The following are email responses and stated policy form the websites of several car rental companies and insurance companies whom I asked for their policy on this issue. Not a single one came back saying I needed an IDP if a tourist in Thailand. .
Pure Car Rent:
"About insurance coverage, for Pure Car Rent‘s insurance, Thai,
overseas or international driver’s license is acceptable for our
insurance companies. So if you drive Pure Car Rent‘s car with
driver’s license issued by your country, you and the car are covered
by insurance.”
HertzThailand.com:
"Rental Qualification :
Minimum renter age is 21 years.
Must hold a valid Thai driving license or a driving license from a
renter’s country of residence (with an English translation), or an
international driving license."
Budget.co.th:
Drivers License
All drivers must hold a current, non-probationary license.
The license may either be Thai, or from a renter's country of
residence (with an English translation) or an international drivers
permit. Licenses (and a valid passport) must be carried at all times
when driving.
Thai Rent A Car
In order to rent THAI RENT A CAR vehicle, a valid driver’s license from the customer’s country of residence
is required and must be presented at time of rental. International renters must present a valid license from
their country of residence, if the license is in a language rather than English, an International Driver’s
permit is required in conjunction with the country of residence driver’s license
AA Insurance Thailand:
"Your 'home' license is legal in Thailand - as long as it is legal in your own country i.e. not suspended !"
Viriyah Insurance:
“We acknowledge receipt of your e-mail and
very sorry for late reply. Regarding to your question, please be
inform that your legal drivers license issued by The United States of
America (date of license valid) is acceptable to use and drive the car
in Thailand and The Viriyah car insurance will be cover while have an
accident (Just in Thailand). Thank you for your kind interested.”
Bupa Insurance:
Question:
"Please advise if I am legal driving on just my home license with no IDP (international drivers permit). Will I be covered in an accident?"
Answer:
"For the international IDP is not a problem sir. As I have check with Bangkok. It’s not a problem for Bupa.
No problem with that and the insurance will be covered you for all.
-Prayurapong Pisanaka, Prayurapong Pisanaka, Executive Health & Financial Manager - Head Office
American International Assurance Company, Limited
----
In addition to my numerous personal experiences, here is a short collection of first hand accounts from various sources of the seemingly infinite reports of interactions between foreigners driving with no IDP and the Thai police. This reflects the actual reality of the situation on the ground in Thailand and should be the best measuring stick to the legality of diving on your home license with no IDP and the consequences if you don't. It strikes me as very odd that the police who are so fond of finding any little thing to make some tea money seem to be ignoring this if an IDP is required.
Lonely Planet entry:
"I've rented cars in Thailand many times. All the rental companies ask for is a driver's license (US state) and credit card -- just like everywhere else. I've been stopped by the police several times and the driver's license was fine."
Thaivisa member bob4you
I've been driving here for 5 years, stopped a couple of dozen times. Hawaii drivers license was accepted (never questioned once) each time.
ThaiVisa member bubba:
I have never had an International Driving License and I have driven in Thailand using both hired cars and my own car for about ten years now. I do have a valid licence from home. My insurance policy has a clause that states that only a "valid drivers license" is required for the class of vehicle insured. After inquiring, I got it in writing that this includes foreign licenses. I have been involved in three minor property damage accidents, two in a hire car and one in my own car. Whilst driving on a foreign license, my car was smashed by an uninsured pickup with my repair bill being 24,000 baht. My insurance company sent their adjuster out, he made out a report, and I was compensated fully. None of the police asked for a Thai or international licence, nor did the insurance companies and my own insurance company explicitly allows for coverage of drivers using a foreign licence, so long as that licence is valid for the class of vehicle driven. I have been stopped at police checkpoints and police invented traffic infractions dozens of times, and sometimes they ask for my licence. No problem. The police just want the money, not a big hassle. I have hired cars in Thailand dozens of times and no Thai or international licence is required by those companies either, including the majors such as Avis and Budget.
Here are the car rental companies in Thailand that I have used and none require an IDP or Thai licence so long as I had a recognisable and valid foreign licence:
Hertz
Avis
Budget
Master Car Rental
North Wheels (Chiang Mai)
ThaiVisa member tropa:
“I went through one of these road blocks on 3rd Road yesterday. I showed them my Australian drivers licence and they waved me through.”
landofsmiles from another forum:
"Your [home] licence is fine. Chances are in a few days you won't even go through any police checks and if you do it will still be ok. I don't have a bike endorsement on mine and I've been through dozens of checks. All they want to see is the word LICENCE and your photo."
ThaiVisa member fiddlehead:
"I always just used my state drivers licence from USA ... used the above for about 3 years ... Never got a fine for it. Except once because it had expired."
ThaiVisa member phuketrex:
"5 years in Thailand. Through 100's of police checks. Never a problem showing my British licence."
Commenter Robb at Pattaya One:
" I’ve been driving here for years only on my home country licence and never had a problem. Seem the police like the fact I have all my other documentation for my bike, nicely color photocopied and in a ziplok bag under the seat, they never question the fact I don’t have an international licence"
ThaiVisa member Deaw:
Cruising down 2nd road in Pattaya on my rented 'cycle, not far from the Central Mall; must've been about 30 cops there, with the orange cones and some barricades, flashing red lights, etc.....pulling over EVERY motorcycle, farang and Thai alike. This was at 5pm.
I got waved over by 2 guys .... helmet on; check. One says "license, please", and I hand him my N.Y. state drivers license. While he is looking it over, I say "I am a tourist here, I don't live in Thailand". Then I point to the "M.C." next to the Operator code and tell them "M.C., that means motorcycle".
The older of the 2 says "OK" and they stand aside and let me pass. Total time wasted; 30 seconds.
Total bribe and/or fine paid, and total number of laws broken; None.
ThaiVisa member collectsskulls:
"I have an international drivers permit but have never been asked for it only my Canadian one"
ThaiVisa member Kwasaki:
"I have never needed an IDP in Thailand having a UK valid driving license"
Wiki Answers
"All drivers must hold a current, non-probationary licence either Thai or from their own country but if it is not Thai or English they must carry an English translation or an international driving licence."
Wiki Answers
"I drove in Thailand for the first 12 months on a west Australian licence and was often checked but never a problem. Each time I was stopped at a police check point, the policeman seemed more intent on proving that he could read my name.
After that 12 months I got an International liicence whch was a waste of money as I still only showed my Australian licence.
So ,, short answer No you dont need one"
Wiki Answers
"International or US Driver's License and Passport is all you need."
Wiki Answers
"You don't have to have an international driver's license to rent a car, the rental agencies will rent you a car with a valid license from your home country. If you get stopped by the police make sure you show them your passport and the tourist visa stamp"
Wiki Answers
"If you are a farang and possess your home drivers license, that is enough. If a policeman (especially in Udon Thani) stops you, you simply show him your drivers license"
-----
So bottom line, if a BIB does try one on and attempt to do you for no IDP as a tourist, all you need to do is point to your English license with a photo and repeat "International already." Show them your passport/copy of your tourist visa/visa exempt stamp. Speaking Thai to him will only work against you. If he decides that you are a resident and not a tourist/visitor, he may try to cite you for not having a Thai DL, but that has nothing to do with IDP's.
Do the above and I guarantee the BIB will not cite you for diving on just your home license if:
1) You are a tourist/visitor.
2) It is in English.
3) It has a photo.
4) It is current
5) It is for the class of vehicle you are diving.
6) Your home country and Thailand have a mutual agreement on licenses. (See here to determine if they are: http://www.unece.org/trans/conventn/legalinst_07_RTRSS_RT1949.html
Having an IDP is not a bad idea though. (As long as it's not one of the scam ones off the internet)

More info: http://bangkok.angloinfo.com/information/transport/driving-licences

I am not quite sure what your on about but most certainly a Thai IDP is only valid for 12 months and this is fact as I have had multiple ones over the years from MoChit, further you cannot get an IDP in Thailand on the basis of NZ DL it needs to be a 5 year thai DL

The only 30 year international licenses I have every come across are the fake ones being sold on line, same as the fake NATO ones

Yes, please post a pic. You can delete out your personal info. I hope you didn't pay too much for it. It probably isn't worth the plastic it's made with.

Stevenl is correct, An IDP is not required in Thailand for tourists and visitors, with the added stipulation that your home country and Thailand have a reciprocal agreement on the mutual acceptance of licenses, and the vast majority do. Residents need a Thai DL. And there is no such thing as an "international license.

"And there is no such thing as an "international license."

Hogwash!

Nonsense& 2.. I've got my ordinary Thai license for cars and bikes and an International license, issued in my province.

Was only possible in Bangkok before, but now available at all transport departments.-wai2.gif

What you got is correctly referred to as an international drivers permit, or IDP for short.

stoli, please post a photo of an "international license."

This seems to be going round in circles with pointless I say you say arguments.

The following applies for UK licence holders, other countries may have different agreements with Thailand. The OP has a UK licence.

Put simply and with extracts from RAC and AA websites below as proof:

1. If a tourist in Thailand you need your full UK licence + an IDP, International Driving Permit.

2. If staying if Thailand for a longer period than normal tourism you should get a Thai driving licence.

3. Things on the ground will differ on how different insurance companies or BIBs deal with drivers not complying with this law, but then your insurance and your legal status will be reliant on the roll of a dice.

For British motorists the RAC and the AA both say on their websites:

Cut & pasted from the RAC site:

http://www.rac.co.uk/travel/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit/where-do-i-need-an-idp/

Where do I need an IDP?

I am traveling to:Thailand .

Thailand

You will need an International Driving Permit, IDP 1949 to drive here.

From AA website:

http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/index.html

An IDP is a permit for use in conjunction with your driving licence, not in place of it

Persons going to a country to take up residence or employment, or for any reason other than tourism, should make enquiries about their personal position before relying on a permit

The AA and RAC websites are wrong.

Not true, policy conditions must be met before they have to pay. In most policies you will see that a valid license is required, and if the OP is living here a valid license means a Thai license, not a UK one.

I would not expect the insurance company to check, but can't exclude the possibility as well.

Friend of my gf.. Thai has a brother who had no license used her car and crashed it.. insurance would not pay out because no valid drivers license.

I believe (hope rather, if I am the injured party) that the compulsary 3rd-party insurance pays, regardless of whether the driver has a valid licence.

I know that at least some insurance companies won't pay the damage to the own vehicle if the driver does not have a valid licence.

If you live here, that means Thai licence. The discussion whether an IDP is needed refers to tourists or newcomers.

Sent from my I-405 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by onthemoon

Your UK license will be fine no problem

I don't think so.

The UK license need to be accompanied by an international license when you are in Thailand on a tourist based visa.

If you have a non.immigrant visa you need a Thai license.

Having a wrong license is one of the major reasons the insurance company will use to avoid paying.

This is my humble opinion.

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

English is not my native language, sorry if I write errors, KS wai2.gif

................... expats can use the international licese only the first 3 month of stay!!!! After a Thai license MUST be done to drive a motorbike or car. ...................

Legally, you can drive on your Home DL with IDP for up to one year, but to do so you must break your stay every 90 days.

There are not "three Geneva Conventions....................

The fact that it is so long just means it's not worth the effort of reading, let alone correcting.

Of course there were three Conventions and as stated several times, Thailand signed up for the 1949 one and you need to know that when you apply for an IDP.

Far too much wrong with too much of your post.

Quantity does not compensate for quality or accuracy in this case.

................... expats can use the international licese only the first 3 month of stay!!!! After a Thai license MUST be done to drive a motorbike or car. ...................

Legally, you can drive on your Home DL with IDP for up to one year, but to do so you must break your stay every 90 days.

The fact that it is so long just means it's not worth the effort of reading, let alone correcting.

Of course there were three Conventions and as stated several times, Thailand signed up for the 1949 one and you need to know that when you apply for an IDP.

None of the rental car companies mentioned offer insurance in the Typical sense, They self insure and provide a very limited form of cover. Their acceptance of a licence or otherwise in no way affects the legal situation and they will not refund a police fine even an official one for driving without an IDP.

I believe (hope rather, if I am the injured party) that the compulsary 3rd-party insurance pays, regardless of whether the driver has a valid licence. I know that at least some insurance companies won't pay the damage to the own vehicle if the driver does not have a valid licence. If you live here, that means Thai licence. The discussion whether an IDP is needed refers to tourists or newcomers. Sent from my I-405 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes like i said friend of the GF had a car ford fiesta, her brother loaned the car but had no insurance, crashed the car. No money was going to be paid for the car as there was no valid drivers license. Not sure if they are going to get the money they paid to the third party also from drivers without a valid drivers-license. Because in this case it was a one sided crash no other cars involved.

cheesy.gif So first its "Please do your research, provide links." so I prove beyond a shadow of a doubt what the law is in addition to what the actual situation is on the ground, and now it's "far to much" for you to read Lol. Great stuff. Thank you for a good laugh. Never let the facts get in the way of a good opinion! thumbsup.gif

You said "three Geneva conventions" which just proves you have no idea what you are talking about, like most everything else you have posted.

I humbly accept your acquiescence. wai.gif