The benefits of a Thai driving licence?

longstebe

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When i did mine in chumphae.

There is a big board with different colours on it,they point with a stick at the colour and you respond what it is.

Usually do it about a dozen times.This is from about 10 feet away.

:D

Well I finally used it, checking inn at Nakon phanom airport and my hotel in bkk. It makes me feel so much better......:P

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

When you renew next time they will be valid for 5 years.

That's what the wifey said but apparently it's 1 year for farangs and 5 years for Thais.

I asked the wifey to go back and ask for sure and we were told the same. This is up in Sakon Nakhon (not that it makes any difference).

I actually thought I was part of the Thai society biggrin.png

Wrong - it's the same for everybody but eligibility for foreigners depends on visa length. The first time you apply (for both Thais and foreigners) you get one year. When you renew, you only get one year if you are on a tourist or other short term visa, 5 years if on a non-B or other longer term visa.

Hi all,

My temporary 1 year Thai Driving Licence is due to expire on 18th October 2013 so I went to the local DLT (on 20th September) to enquire as to when I could apply for the 5 year licence as I had read on here that the old licence needed to have expired before applying for a 5 year one.

The nice young lady behind the counter said that I could apply at any time up to 2 months before the existing licence expires and within 6 months afterwards(?). So the next day, with slight trepidation and armed with all the necessary paperwork and standard fee I went back. Within 20 minutes I was walking out with a brand new 5 year licence which expires on my birthday in January 2019. I still have to keep my 1 year licence as the new one doesn't start until 19th October.

All I had to do was the colour blind test and nothing else.

Very efficient and very surprised but this is Nakhon Phanom and I have to say the same about their Immigration Office - always polite and never any hassle. The residency letter from Immigration was free of any charge and they even made a photocopy for nothing.

Since having a Thai driving licence I no longer carry my passport and use it as a Thai would use their ID card. Bought a motorcycle in my name without having to show my passport and the banks accept it in lieu of my passport.

• Like 1

Hi all,

My temporary 1 year Thai Driving Licence is due to expire on 18th October 2013 so I went to the local DLT (on 20th September) to enquire as to when I could apply for the 5 year licence as I had read on here that the old licence needed to have expired before applying for a 5 year one.

The nice young lady behind the counter said that I could apply at any time up to 2 months before the existing licence expires and within 6 months afterwards(?). So the next day, with slight trepidation and armed with all the necessary paperwork and standard fee I went back. Within 20 minutes I was walking out with a brand new 5 year licence which expires on my birthday in January 2019. I still have to keep my 1 year licence as the new one doesn't start until 19th October.

All I had to do was the colour blind test and nothing else.

Very efficient and very surprised but this is Nakhon Phanom and I have to say the same about their Immigration Office - always polite and never any hassle. The residency letter from Immigration was free of any charge and they even made a photocopy for nothing.

Since having a Thai driving licence I no longer carry my passport and use it as a Thai would use their ID card. Bought a motorcycle in my name without having to show my passport and the banks accept it in lieu of my passport.

Since it lacks the visa information immigration does not have to accept it. So a check could put you in trouble if you don't have access to your passport.

And yes, your passport number is on your DL. But the immigration offices are not always available to check that information, plus the passport number on your DL can be the number form the previous passport.

Errr being legal to drive.

Hint of sarcasm there mate????

I've been stopped plenty of times and produced my UK licence with no problems whatsoever.

Wait until you have an accident. My Thai car insurance stipulates in the small print that in order for it to be valid the driver must hold a Thai Driving Lic. Dis not read the entire thread apologize if it has been posted before.

I have a Thai driving licence but its been no benefit to me yet. I didn't actually get it for any real or imaginary benefits but simply because if you live here it is a legal requirement and in the unfortunate event of an accident its better to have one than not. Just one less thing they can do you for or hold against you.

I have a Thai driving licence but its been no benefit to me yet. I didn't actually get it for any real or imaginary benefits but simply because if you live here it is a legal requirement and in the unfortunate event of an accident its better to have one than not. Just one less thing they can do you for or hold against you.

It's been of no benefit to you, but it has allowed you to drive legally here.

I can't combine these 2 things, sorry. Wouldn't driving legally be the main benefit and main purpose of a Thai DL?

It's been of no benefit to you, but it has allowed you to drive legally here.

Edited by Denim

^ Yes it has , which is what I meant. My other meaning was that so far it has not gained me cheap entry into national parks or procured me any discounts although if I ever chance upon a lady of dubious virtue again I will show it to her to see if I can get the Thai price coffee1.gif