America's Cup - Anybody Watching?

mikebike

Can't believe no one has commented on this yet. The first four races this past weekend were outstanding! The new AC72s are like nothing you've seen before (unless you've been following their development ;0). 80, yes 80kh/h 'hull' (foil) speed... fascinating to see the boats AND the racing has been compelling as well.

Anyone can watch. Race schedule here: http://www.americascup.com/en/schedules/races

All action is live on You Tube and available for watching any time later here: http://www.youtube.com/user/AmericasCup

The first four races are available complete or as highlight package.

Kiwi's you should be proud - yer lads are doing very well!

post-30101-0-05524300-1378805378_thumb.j

• Like 2

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes watched all four races and certainly these new boats add a different dimension. However, I do not think anything can match that final race a few years ago when Alingi won from Team New Zealand by a second (or was it two?) when they were still racing mono-hulls. 360 degrees before the line for TNZ and a broken spinnaker pole for Alingi in the last few seconds. Match racing at its best.

I prefered the monohulls.....and not just because Australia actually managed to get the thing off its pedestal.

really, those cats are just mind boggling to me. all that power balanced on those little foils flying along at 3 times the wind speed. i think its way cooler than formula 1, being able to harness nature like that.

• Like 1

I prefered the monohulls.....and not just because Australia actually managed to get the thing off its pedestal.

really, those cats are just mind boggling to me. all that power balanced on those little foils flying along at 3 times the wind speed. i think its way cooler than formula 1, being able to harness nature like that.

I agree, whilst not an avid follower of yachting in general, these boats are way out there..amazing to watch for sure.

here the latest race..

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/9169839/Team-NZ-fight-back-to-win-dramatic-race

sorry guys but it is a load of crap, do any of you know how this race came about. It has been butchered to make it a tv spectacle to make money, none of these boats would be even capable of going out to sea as they would fold in a decent swell, This is supposed to be an open water race but its become a spectacle race only, kind of like turning a cross country car race into a circuit motorbike race so they can get more spoectators/money/profit, its bullshit.

Edited by seajae
  • Like 2

Can anyone help me to find the live coverage please? I've been getting up at 3am to watch but can't find the stream on TV or the web.

sail-world.com has live streaming world wide but apparently blocked in some countries. Thailand? They say on their site there are some work arounds?

I've been catching the you tube replays that seem to come on line about three or four hours after the actual racing.

This racing is absolutely awesome if you're into exciting sailing. Love it. Can anyone help please?

sorry guys but it is a load of crap, do any of you know how this race came about. It has been butchered to make it a tv spectacle to make money, none of these boats would be even capable of going out to sea as they would fold in a decent swell, This is supposed to be an open water race but its become a spectacle race only, kind of like turning a cross country car race into a circuit motorbike race so they can get more spoectators/money/profit, its bullshit.

I guess all sport must be bs to you as per your 2nd sentence because that is what sport is all about, being exciting for spectators & making money. Look at T20 cricket for example, big crowds with many games going down to the wire. I love this new version of the America's Cup & not every boat can sail in winds up to 22 knots like these cats can. Most of the crews have to be as fit as any other highly trained athlete. I suppose if it was an ocean going race then the yachts would be built differently but it is not & so they are built for the conditions where the regatta is held.

I guess all sport must be bs to you as per your 2nd sentence because that is what sport is all about, being exciting for spectators & making money. Look at T20 cricket for example, big crowds with many games going down to the wire. I love this new version of the America's Cup & not every boat can sail in winds up to 22 knots like these cats can. Most of the crews have to be as fit as any other highly trained athlete. I suppose if it was an ocean going race then the yachts would be built differently but it is not & so they are built for the conditions where the regatta is held.

Thats just it...it was an ocean going race....

Exactly right..these boats are not as original spec for sure, but incredible to see all the same.

To seajae...Look at the vast majority of hi exposure sport these days...most are tailored to suit spectators off the course and out of the arena.....specifically for TV viewing so

they can get more spoectators/money/profit, its not bullshit. its a sad fact of sporting life now...big prize money, big costs are partly recuperated by selling to commercial

media who pay big bucks.

Its great for the average non sport follower to be able to see first hand in HD TV exactly what goes on and have it explained also.

The graphics and tele special effects [like slow-mo replays etc ]that you get to see whether its F1 or snooker and all inbetween really enrichens the viewers experience.

You don't like the Americas Cup the way it has become, fine thats up to you..you can watch all kinds of real ocean racing yachts racing, but to slag it off as much as you are is

a bit misguided IMO....Its the way it is now..enjoy the spectacle for what it is...rolleyes.gif

i very much doubt anyone makes any real money out of the America's cup. Certainly. Larry Elison (team USA) does it because he's stinking rich and likes boats. there's no big TV coverage and a few hundred spectators.

there are plenty of ocean races to watch, but AC is the F1 of sailboat racing. you can't take your F1 car to drop your kids off at school in the morning either.

And an F1 car would not last long on the open highway. You are correct in that the race has changed from an open water one. This race is now a demonstration of the peak in boat design technology and that is what more people will find interesting and exciting to watch. It is also still a competion between countries. There is still plenty of ocean racing about for the purists.

there is a difference between sport and entertainment. Sport is a physical activity that people participate in, what you do is sit on your arse and watch others do things, not sport at all. If they change a marathon so it had to be done in a go cart that would be more exciting too, changing sport entirely due to making it more exciting/ a profit/ or money is not sport, anyone that thinks so is showing their lack of intelligence big time. Also shows that you have no real idea of what the original americas cup was all about,

Edited by LivinginKata
insulting remark removed

And an F1 car would not last long on the open highway. You are correct in that the race has changed from an open water one. This race is now a demonstration of the peak in boat design technology and that is what more people will find interesting and exciting to watch. It is also still a competion between countries. There is still plenty of ocean racing about for the purists.

yes but it no longer has anything to do with what the original race was about so it is a farce and should be renamed entirely, it is not the americas cup, it is the boat developers cup.

yes but it no longer has anything to do with what the original race was about so it is a farce and should be renamed entirely, it is not the americas cup, it is the boat developers cup.

Schooners were raced in the original race. Are you saying that only 2 masted schooners should be allowed to race?

there is a difference between sport and entertainment. Sport is a physical activity that people participate in, what you do is sit on your arse and watch others do things, not sport at all. If they change a marathon so it had to be done in a go cart that would be more exciting too, changing sport entirely due to making it more exciting/ a profit/ or money is not sport, anyone that thinks so is showing their lack of intelligence big time. Also shows that you have no real idea of what the original americas cup was all about,

If no one sat down to watch sport then there would be no sport. Speaking of intelligence, watching & actively participating in contest sport are two entirely different things & you have no idea what I know or do not know. I enjoyed the Americas Cup when they were mono hull boats, I enjoy it even more now. You should come along to our GOMS meetings as you certainly fulfil the grumpy criteria.

Edited by LivinginKata
another insulting remark removed
  • Like 1

Let's face it; until Bondy won the cup with the winged keel very few people had even heard of this boat race. Since then it has matured into a wonderful spectator sport. Those cats are an amazing demonstration of technology and sailing them takes tremendous skill and fitness.

i bet in the original race in 1851, if someone had come up with a design of a boat that could do 40+ knots in 15 knots of wind, first thing they would have said is 'its witchcraft', second they would have said 'can i have one'

what about the kiwi almost flip in race 8, i bet there was a few stained wetsuits when that happened

i bet in the original race in 1851, if someone had come up with a design of a boat that could do 40+ knots in 15 knots of wind, first thing they would have said is 'its witchcraft', second they would have said 'can i have one'

what about the kiwi almost flip in race 8, i bet there was a few stained wetsuits when that happened

1185677_714261885256301_714492748_n.jpg

Edited by Valentine
  • Like 1

Hmmm, maybe a very brief recap of the history of tech change in the AC is required.

In 1887, the NYYC adopted the Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club's rating rule, in which Bristol, RI naval architect Nathanael Herreshoff found loopholes that he would use to make dramatic improvements in yacht design and to shape the America's Cup's largest and most extreme contenders. Both Herreshoff and Watson proceeded to merge Yankee sloop design and British cutter design to make very deep S-shape fin-keeled hulls. Using steel, tobin bronze, aluminium, and even nickel for novel construction, they significantly lengthened bow and stern overhangs, further extending the sailing waterline as their boats heeled over, thus increasing their speed.
In 1929 rule changes permitted the bermuda rig to replace the gaff rig.
The J-class yachts from the 1930s remained the default for the Cup, but post-war economic realities meant that no one could afford to challenge in this hugely expensive class. As twenty years had passed since the last challenge, the NYYC looked for a cheaper alternative in order to restart interest in the Cup. In 1956 Henry Sears[31] led an effort to replace the J-class yachts with 12-metre class yachts, which are approximately 65 to 75 feet (20 to 23 m) in overall length.
Technology was now playing an increasing role in yacht design. The 1983 winner, Australia II, had sported the revolutionary winged keel, and the New Zealand boat that Conner had beaten in the Louis Vuitton Cup final in Fremantle was the first 12-metre class to have a hull of fiberglass, rather than aluminum or wood.
The International Americas Cup Class was a class of racing yacht that was developed for the America's Cup between 1992 and 2007. These yachts, while not identical, were all designed to the same formula to offer designers the freedom to experiment whilst keeping the boats sufficiently comparable to race in real time. The class was established for the 1992 America's Cup because of perceived shortcomings of the 12-metre class, which had been used in the America's Cup since 1958.
Also, i believe that the hosting club can choose near or off shore as they desire.