capital one ATM cards & AEON

I tried to use my Capital One Direct Banking ATM card at a couple of AEON ATMs in Bangkok and received the message: "Cannot process request; please contact card issuer." Searching on the web, I found a couple of other people reporting a similar experience, so my guess is for some reason this particular card is incompatible with this bank's machines.

I would like to use AEON because they charge no fees, so I have been wondering about a work around.

Can the ladies working at the bank process transactions for you if you give them your ATM card? Has anyone tired this?

Thanks for any feedback on this issue.

Edited by oceanm5

CapOne Debit cards do work in AEON ATMs, but apparently there are some CapOne ATM cards that only work on the Cirrus network--and AEON don't support Cirrus. The OP's card will probably work fine in a Thai bank ATMs which does support the Cirrus network, but they will charge the foreign card fee of Bt150 for Visa and Bt180 for Mastercard. But whether the OP's card is a CapOne Debit or ATM card, if it "only shows Cirrus" on the back of the card then it probably won't work in AEON ATMs like he is experiencing.

Edit: Oh yea, forget...CapOne may be blocking the foreign transaction because you didn't tell them you would be using the card outside of the U.S. for dates X to Y. That has happened to folks...and not just CapOne cards but other bank cards also. If the card don't work in a Thai bank ATM then there is a good chance that is what is happening....you'll need to call CapOne.

Edited by Pib

thanks for your replies.

yes my card says "cirrus" on the back so it looks like that's the reason.

I know the card isn't blocked because I used it only a few days ago at a different ATM and it worked.

So I guess there's no escape from the service charge for me during this trip, since (so far as I know) AEON is the only bank that doesn't charge it.

thanks for your replies.

yes my card says "cirrus" on the back so it looks like that's the reason.

I know the card isn't blocked because I used it only a few days ago at a different ATM and it worked.

So I guess there's no escape from the service charge for me during this trip, since (so far as I know) AEON is the only bank that doesn't charge it.

Yeap, AEON ATMs are the only ATMs in Thailand I know of that don't charge a foreign card use fee.

Edit: By the way, you may see some AEON ATMS with Cirrus logos on them...some have them...some don't. But even for the ones which do have a Cirrus logo I don't think they really support Cirrus. I think the logo was just a standard label/paint job since all the labels I've seen are really "one" continuous label with multiple card network logos versus individual labels/logos they can stick on...individual labels/logos which would say Visa, MasterCard, Cirrus, etc. And maybe AEON does plan to support Cirrus in the near future so they are just getting the jump on applying updated labels...but I'm guessing.

Edited by Pib

thrilled, yes I have read about the Schwab card that comes with their "international" account and it does sound like the best deal for international travelers. No fees tacked on by them and reimbursements offered for all service charges by other banks. Though if I understand correctly you have to call them each time to tell them about the fee you want reimbursed, and also send them a copy of the ATM slip? I plan on signing up for one of these international accounts when I return home. One thing I discovered: they will not let you sign up for this account while you are traveling abroad, even if you offer to send proof of identification, etc. They told me I would have to go into the local office of my address on record and verify my identity.

Regarding AEON, Im curious about one thing: if it is not a bank, why do they have staff on duty in a place like Robinson department store? Three women behind a desk there, near the ATM machines. are they just there to help those who have an issue with the ATM?

Edited by oceanm5

Aeon is a Credit service company. The lady's are signing up/taking applications for credit.

thrilled, yes I have read about the Schwab card that comes with their "international" account and it does sound like the best deal for international travelers. No fees tacked on by them and reimbursements offered for all service charges from other banks. Though if I understand correctly you have to call them each time to tell them about the fee you want reimbursed, and also send them a copy of the ATM slip?. I plan on signing up for one of these international accounts when I return home. One thing I discovered: they will not let you sign up for this account while you are traveling abroad, even if you offer to send proof of identification, etc. They told me I would have to go into the local office of my address on record and verify my identity.

Regarding AEON, Im curious about one thing: if it is not a bank, why is it at that a place like the Robinson department store, in the area where they have ATMs, they also have three women working there, seated behind a desk? What are they doing there is AEON has no banking services? are they just there to help those who have an issue with the ATM?

thrilled, yes I have read about the Schwab card that comes with their "international" account and it does sound like the best deal for international travelers. No fees tacked on by them and reimbursements offered for all service charges by other banks. Though if I understand correctly you have to call them each time to tell them about the fee you want reimbursed, and also send them a copy of the ATM slip? I plan on signing up for one of these international accounts when I return home. One thing I discovered: they will not let you sign up for this account while you are traveling abroad, even if you offer to send proof of identification, etc. They told me I would have to go into the local office of my address on record and verify my identity.

Regarding AEON, Im curious about one thing: if it is not a bank, why do they have staff on duty in a place like Robinson department store? Three women behind a desk there, near the ATM machines. are they just there to help those who have an issue with the ATM?

If you are a U.S. citizen and have a U.S. address you can use just sign up for the regular U.S. Schwab brokerage and checking account (gets you the no foreign transaction fee Visa debit card)...it's all done on one form...no minimum opening amounts...but personally I would initially fund the brokerage account with some amount to make Schwab happy...you can transfer the amount to the checking account immediately after getting the accounts open...you don't need to keep any minimum amount in the brokerage or checking accounts.

However the Schwab International Brokerage account requires a $10K initial deposit and I think you have to keep at least $1K in it after that...and since that is a brokerage account you have no FDIC coverage whereas with the debit card linked to your checking account you have the $250K FDIC coverage.

Go to the Schwab website for more info....here's the link to the application form: Link. If just opening an individual account you can probably open online...no need to submit the paper version....but you might want to open using a VPN connection. And if you want to open a Schwab saving account there is another simple form you can submit. Just visit the Schwab website for the info. Good luck.

• 2 months later...

I am in Ubon, I have a Choice Bank Limited, mastercard, I have been using for years at AEON atm, but recently has stopped working, I can use in any other bank, but of course I am charged witht the 180 baht.

I have asked into an AEON branch, and they said that have to be something to do with the new ATM machines settings, if somebody know a workaround, feel free to share please.

Edited by emiubon

I am in Ubon, I have a Choice Bank Limited, mastercard, I have been using for years at AEON atm, but recently has stopped working, I can use in any other bank, but of course I am charged witht the 180 baht.

I have asked into an AEON branch, and they said that have to be something to do with the new ATM machines settings, if somebody know a workaround, feel free to share please.

I would check with Choice Bank Limited, they may have joined a new network as Capital One did