Thai Army to build asphalt roads to help address rubber oversupply

webfact

Army to build asphalt roads to help address rubber oversupply
By English News

13791259232881.jpg

BANGKOK, Sept 14 –The Thai army will use more than 300 tonnes of asphalt for road construction next year to cooperate with the government in solving the problem of rubber oversupply, according to Defence Ministry spokesman Thanatip Sawangsaeng.

He said the Armed Forces Development Command would build 127 kilometres of asphalt roads, using 72 tonnes of rubber, and the Army Engineer Department has planned to build 36 roads with a total length of 178 kilometres in the South using 250 tonnes of rubber.

The army would survey more roads and seek additional budget from the government for the construction, he said.

Col Thanatip said the Army Ordnance Department produced 800 tyres for military trucks each year, using 150 tonnes of rubber.

If allocated more budget, the department could double its production, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-09-14

• Like 1

Let's have rubber cars-houses-bullets-furnature-pipes- anything just to get out of another costly bribe.

Let's have rice mountains used for fuel-fertilizer-feed-food for the aged-free food for kids at school-exchange for imports-anything to get out of another costly bribe.

Lets have all monies allocated to cities and their towns used to the full on all projects-construction- administration - stopping all the costly back pocket officials.

Lets have the R.Thai police start to protect the public much more and drop the easy money making rackets.

• Like 1

Why not teach / tell the rubber farmers who to grow something else?

Why do they keep growing crops that are not in demand?

So your idea is to chop down all the rubber trees after years of waiting for them to mature and grow something else.I think you should go talk to the rubber farms and tell them of your great plan in person.

• Like 2

LuckyLew post # 6

In a nut shell when rubber prices were high some years back farmers rushed to change their crop cultivation . Why/ The all saw big money on the table, sad to say they forgot that the more produce there is the lower the price oversupply killed the golden goose.

This situation happens on a regular basis in farming here and a multitude of other business modes too.

New shop opens selling say fashion accessories and prospers one then see's more shops opening in the same row of shop houses or stalls selling the same products, net result every shopkeeper stall holder has minimal profits. just look around the shopping malls and see all the stalls selling the same gizmo's and gimcrack baubles and making nothing the churn rate every 3 months or so is amazing.

Thai business people in the main are nothing more than imitators not innovators

yep have think of something new every 4 to 6 months to do for income in my house/ shop

when sell something original they gonna sell that too a few hundred meters away

was the only one with a pooltable ,in a big area now there are 6 places that have one , was the only with a few pc where people could do internet , make print ,scan ,pas-photo's now have several nearby , so can say they even copy the copy idea 555

if start selling turds with a flower and that goes well gonna be having competition very soon . imagination and think of a nice business all by themselves is not something my village is good at

This is typical , especially in rural towns and villages, most copy because they are not trained to think in schools. The rest are so greedy -example we had a house shop yonks ago and when I was in England for 2 weeks on return the family sister opened a house shop opposite. only a small village. Some folks are unbelievable, like stealing from their own-no problem.

• Like 2

LuckyLew post # 6

In a nut shell when rubber prices were high some years back  farmers rushed to change their crop cultivation . Why/ The all saw big money on the table, sad to say they  forgot that the more  produce there is the lower the price  oversupply  killed the golden goose.

This situation  happens on a regular basis in farming here and  a multitude of other business modes too.

New shop opens selling  say fashion accessories and prospers one then see's more shops opening in the same row of shop houses or stalls selling the same products, net result every shopkeeper stall holder has minimal profits. just look around the shopping malls and see all the stalls selling the same  gizmo's and gimcrack baubles and making nothing the churn rate every  3 months or so is amazing.

Thai business people in the main are nothing more than imitators not innovators

Monkey see....monkey do

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Unfortunately, rubber is a 37 year project. You are probably only back into profit after 10 years. It doesn't help when the very same people you are asking for advice have private ownership in say rubber exporters also.

Subsistence economy?

Some folks are more desperate than others. Limited funds, limited education, too old, too ugly, skin's too dark, etc., yet an unyielding requirement to put food on the table everyday.

You have to have money and time to have the luxury of innovation and original thinking.

• Like 2

Can you see 7 years into the future?

I can't but that is about how long it takes to get a rubber tree into production.

Depending on the type of soil and the amount of water available will give you an idea of what crop you CAN grow.

What crops do you, as a keyboard farmer suggest that they grow and can you suggest how they will earn their livelihood while waiting for the new crops to mature?

What you say is true and with any long term investment it takes time to pan out. India's growth and the old age of the trees in the south are the primary reasons I put in 3000 trees. Also ANY money that may come from them is supplemental for me. Rubber trees are not like rice, corn or sugar.... you can't just suddenly change your mind and go to another crop. But then again these other crops don't produce for 25 years with the wood being a sellable value added. I wish the free market would be given a chance to establish the price of rubber but it's a funny movie while it plays out.

• Like 1

Usually there are no stupid questions, But you're 2 from 2.

Ever tried digging up a rubber tree plantation to "grow something else"? Rubber trees usually don't start production until about 7yrs old then can last 30yrs. Much of these trees were planted many years ago when rubber prices were high.

I remember the stories of rubber farmers in Hat Yai with so much cash that the local Toyota and Honda car dealers could not supply new cars fast enough to them. Unfortunately most of today's excess supply is due to farmers listening to advice of government that China was an endless growth story buying up all commodities and then farmers borrowing money to buy more land for more trees.

It never ceases to amaze me that people who are not farmers and have no experience in farming seem to know how to run farms better than the farmers.

I think LuckyLew thinks that rubber grows a bit the same as the spaghetti plant.

57515789.DSC_2394_w.jpg

Spaghetti_harvest.jpg

Made me think of the BBC prank :

Made 55 years ago and still believable despite the jolly proper accent of the commentary.

Perhaps the Thais could copy something like that regarding the plans for the new parliament building to have the entire inside walls lined with aesthetically pleasing sheets of rubber in pastel shades.

• Like 1

Because they saw the price of rubber go from ฿50 to over ฿100 so tore up their euc trees and planted rubber, there are many more plantations yet to come on line. I am guessing the price of euc is going to go up, because there

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

personally think its a great idea the army using surplus rubber.

Thinking outside the box for a change, its better than the soldiers being idle.

Good for the soldiers, it's the bosses that are idle, who wants 2000 generals when as in UK 200 will do ??/

This oversupply can be blamed on the government as they promoted

(with free saplings ) rubber growing in the North and Issan ,which

before never grew rubber, more growers,more rubber, over supply!

I also heard that China (the biggest market) is starting to grow rubber trees

now, so its only going to get worse not better.

Time for the government to think up some other mega money making

scheme for the farmers, Coypu farming ?, no been tried failure. any ideas

to help the Thai farmers?

regards Worgeordie

This oversupply can be blamed on the government as they promoted

(with free saplings ) rubber growing in the North and Issan ,which

before never grew rubber, more growers,more rubber, over supply!

I also heard that China (the biggest market) is starting to grow rubber trees

now, so its only going to get worse not better.

Time for the government to think up some other mega money making

scheme for the farmers, Coypu farming ?, no been tried failure. any ideas

to help the Thai farmers?

regards Worgeordie

Well as the Government are keen on supporting those crops that benefit the people rolleyes.gif perhaps the farmers could grow a crop of social responsibility or moral courage. I would be happy to chip in a few dollars to subsidize it if the Government will eat it.

Edited by GentlemanJim