Beware! Always check your receipts!

Pattayaparadise

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately it's an occurrence which happens at many supermarkets in Thailand. I don't know if it is with intend or not, but I know of one supermarket where I often shop and where it has never happened.

Then there is an extra big supermarket where it happens very frequently, every other shopping trip I have at least one item that's priced wrong and never to the advantage of the customer, however I keep shopping there because if you notice it you get the item free. smile.png

Edited by jbrain

Unfortunately it's an occurrence which happens at many supermarkets in Thailand. I don't know if it is with intend or not, but I know of one supermarket where I often shop and where it has never happened.

Then there is an extra big supermarket where it happens very frequently, every other shopping trip I have at least one item that's priced wrong and never to the advantage of the customer, however I keep shopping there because if you notice it you get the item free. smile.png

This happened at a smaller supermarket in town. Nice to hear you got the item free - I didn't even get an apology, or even at least a smile!

Could be a scam, could be incompetence. Just as an example to show it works both ways, I bought a small item at the department store in Central a few days ago. I had been expecting to pay the sticker price which said 450 baht, which was itself reduced. But I was only charged 100 baht. I realised as I was being given my change that something was amiss and sure enough the receipt did show 100 baht. I thought of this as a little payback for all the times I have paid a "falang" price in Thailand (lots of sall things, 10 extra baht here, 20 baht extra there, but it adds up to a very big annoyance)...no intention of letting them know....I saw it as a sign of good luck.

My wife always,always checks our reciepts before we leave the supermarkets ,yet again this monday we were overcharged on an item ,it was me that saw the price come up on the till,luckily i knew how much it should have been ,funnily enough this happened at a small local chain ,thats a top name here in Pattaya only 2 days ago they were selling apples at a reduced price yet charged full price,but i must admit that the next day when i went in and they had a special ,the price charged was about 1/3 rds lower even the girl was shocked how low the price was and asked did i want another one.i didsmile.png

More like dishonesty, glad to see that some farangs are dishonest,the same as some non farangs.I odnt buy the excuse also, 2 wrongs dont make a right.Do u drive on the pavement with a scooter,and say, well thais do it,do u drive on wrong side of the road for the same reason????

You are of course aware that there's nothing in the Thai highway code (Land traffic act) that prohibits motorbikes from driving on the pavement?

• Like 1

More like dishonesty, glad to see that some farangs are dishonest,the same as some non farangs.I odnt buy the excuse also, 2 wrongs dont make a right.Do u drive on the pavement with a scooter,and say, well thais do it,do u drive on wrong side of the road for the same reason????

You are of course aware that there's nothing in the Thai highway code (Land traffic act) that prohibits motorbikes from driving on the pavement?

In fact there is.

Motorbikes are allowed to ride on the pavement if the road is blocked only.

When you go for your driver license this is shown in the video you have to watch.

I just assumed everybody does a quick cheque on all receipts, ido it when visiting any country

I do it everywhere, at all shops or bars or restaurants, regardless of which country I am in and I have done so since I was a child. I reckon that at least one bill in ten I get is wrong, and not always in the shop's favour.

I believe the literal rule is "except when necessary". Who decides when it's necessary? smile.png

The guys who also make the receiptssmile.png.

The difference with the west is: I don't worry about getting a ticket when I use my common sense to drive the pavement in Thailand. As long as it's justified.

I just assumed everybody does a quick cheque on all receipts, ido it when visiting any country

Good luck doing that on a Big C receipt with everything written in Thai if you have a big load.

I watch the prices as they are scanned.

Could be a scam, could be incompetence. Just as an example to show it works both ways, I bought a small item at the department store in Central a few days ago. I had been expecting to pay the sticker price which said 450 baht, which was itself reduced. But I was only charged 100 baht. I realised as I was being given my change that something was amiss and sure enough the receipt did show 100 baht. I thought of this as a little payback for all the times I have paid a "falang" price in Thailand (lots of sall things, 10 extra baht here, 20 baht extra there, but it adds up to a very big annoyance)...no intention of letting them know....I saw it as a sign of good luck.

"I thought of this as a little payback for all the times I have paid a "falang" price in Thailand (lots of sall things, 10 extra baht here, 20 baht extra there, but it adds up to a very big annoyance)...no intention of letting them know....I saw it as a sign of good luck."

Very convenient moral stance. If someone discovers he was charged too much, that's an outrage, possibly an intentional scam for which one should demand an apology and refund. But if someone discovers he was charged too little he should just head for the exit and churn out some lame justification to ease his conscience.

"Just as an example to show it works both ways ..."

But it seems it works differently depending on who profits from the mistake.

• Like 2

I can just imagine posters on here paying for a trolley load of food then standing there on the spot for 10 minutes going through the receipt with a fine tooth comb.

Do you use a pen to mark each item through seperately?

Perhaps you're mentally challenged and this is a task you're not capable of, but most people can check a receipt in a minute or less.

Forgive the guy, he's the same one who didn't notice the 5 meter high inflated slide at the Jesters children charity day.

Edited by jbrain