Beware! Always check your receipts!

Pattayaparadise

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... and then comes the people complaining about them. Seriously... calling people "apologists" is extremely lame, especially in a thread such as this.

So in your world apologists don't exist ?

I think it's an utterly ridiculous term - so yes, in my world there are none.

Why obsess about labeling people? It serves no purpose other than getting people upset and causing arguments.

When I go shopping I have a notebook with what i want to buy,and fill

price in next to item, before going to check out,add it all up and thats

what i expect to pay.

Its very easy for the check out girl at Makro to scan things twice,BUT

they never miss and item,the biggest honest ! mistake was for 248 bht

it can also happen at Big C, Tesco s, and does more often than i like.

I am not short of a bob or two,but will never let anyone take advantage,

even if its 20bht, its the principle of the thing.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

I am not short of a bob or two,but will never let anyone take advantage,

even if its 20bht, its the principle of the thing.

regards Worgeordie

..which is probably why you're still got a bob or two - you don't throw it away.

We were in a supermarket last week (you will understand that I will not name it, for fear of them having a stampede of farangs) ......

I noticed an English brand of luxury biscuits (cookies to Americans).....down-priced from 149 baht to 16 baht.....I put one of each of the three flavours into the basket..... and queried the price at the check-out, the cashier spoke to the department manager, who checked, and then confirmed that 16 baht was the price......I was so delighted that I felt obliged to help them out with the clearing of their stock, by buying another four packs

So as I had been up-front with my query, I can now enjoy the biscuits even more

We were in a supermarket last week (you will understand that I will not name it, for fear of them having a stampede of farangs) ......

I noticed an English brand of luxury biscuits (cookies to Americans).....down-priced from 149 baht to 16 baht.....I put one of each of the three flavours into the basket..... and queried the price at the check-out, the cashier spoke to the department manager, who checked, and then confirmed that 16 baht was the price......I was so delighted that I felt obliged to help them out with the clearing of their stock, by buying another four packs

Did you check the use-by date?

My wife stands on one side of the scanner, and I stand on the other. I noticed that stores like Macro will try to scan several items simultaneously, without putting anything in the bag. I do not even know how they keep track of what has been scanned, and what has not. It would be a simple matter to scan something twice. In the meantime, there is an older lady trying to get our attention (misdirection?) so that we do not scrutinize the cashier. I have never once been given anything free by mistake, but it often happens that we pay twice for something.

My wife stands on one side of the scanner, and I stand on the other. I noticed that stores like Macro will try to scan several items simultaneously, without putting anything in the bag. I do not even know how they keep track of what has been scanned, and what has not. It would be a simple matter to scan something twice. In the meantime, there is an older lady trying to get our attention (misdirection?) so that we do not scrutinize the cashier. I have never once been given anything free by mistake, but it often happens that we pay twice for something.

Because there are no bags at Makro? (Unless you specifically buys them of course)

And they also have receipts checker when you leave, which is another can of worms altogether

Why would a cashier scan an item twice with intend ?

She can't profit from it as her cash register has to contain the amount she has scanned at the end of the day.

• Like 1

Yes I did ....they were within a couple of weeks of expiring, but they are so delicious that there is no chance of them becoming overdue.....

Having said that, expire dates are basically to cover the manufacturer, there is always leeway built in

Because there are no bags at Makro? (Unless you specifically buys them of course)

And they also have receipts checker when you leave, which is another can of worms altogether

I used Makro a lot when I was in business in England, and just like here, the "checkers" before you are allowed to leave, are a farce......to do it properly they would need to "off load" it into another trolley, .....too busy chatting for that......but "Hey Ho" at least we escape quickly

Why would a cashier scan an item twice with intend ?

She can't profit from it as her cash register has to contain the amount she has scanned at the end of the day.

Exactly. There's no motive. I don't really believe the story. If it does happen, it would be rare.

Yes I did ....they were within a couple of weeks of expiring, but they are so delicious that there is no chance of them becoming overdue.....

Having said that, expire dates are basically to cover the manufacturer, there is always leeway built in

Yes, but would you pay full price for a past expiry item?... even if you knew it would still taste ok? I only use that logic when I'm deciding whether or not I should eat an expired item in my own pantry or fridge.

Some food may not keep well in this very hot, humid climate. The supermarkets turn off the aircon at night so it's gets very hot and humid in there. I had a problem with a packet of Weetbix which had many months still to go. I couldn't eat them because of the stale smell.

At the moment I am in my country on holiday....well, it has just happened over here too.. I am not naming my country.... unbelievable!

Why won't you name your country? Are you ashamed of it... or are you worried it may get a bad name because someone made a mistake at the supermarket?

• Like 1

At the moment I am in my country on holiday....well, it has just happened over here too.. I am not naming my country.... unbelievable!

Why won't you name your country? Are you ashamed of it... or are you worried it may get a bad name because someone made a mistake at the supermarket?

You mean outside of Thailand they will not sue you for defamation and put a picture with 17 people pointing at you in the newspaper ? w00t.gifbiggrin.png

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 2

Just a quick update. I returned to this same shop again for a couple of bits on the way home.. Was only buying 3 items and yet again was charged more than the label price for one of the items. This time I was watching as the items were scanned and pointed it out before paying. The item was then reduced to the sticker price.

It was only a small amount but this has happened to me both times I have shopped at this place in the last few days.

It really makes me wonder how often this happens, and how many customers actually notice it. I admit it wasn't a large amount of money, however it's the principle.

Either keep an eye on the computer at the checkout or check your receipts!

• Like 1

Just a quick update. I returned to this same shop again for a couple of bits on the way home.. Was only buying 3 items and yet again was charged more than the label price for one of the items. This time I was watching as the items were scanned and pointed it out before paying. The item was then reduced to the sticker price.

It was only a small amount but this has happened to me both times I have shopped at this place in the last few days.

It really makes me wonder how often this happens, and how many customers actually notice it. I admit it wasn't a large amount of money, however it's the principle.

I think these days it happens more frequently since inflation in Thailand is so high that prices rise faster than they can adjust the labels

I think there's only a couple of place in Pattaya that still does price sticker on the products, most Big, International chains just have price on the shelves these days

It's happened twice at the same shop and no heads up on the name of the shop?

What's the point of these warnings if you cannot help out with a name?

I think there's only a couple of place in Pattaya that still does price sticker on the products, most Big, International chains just have price on the shelves these days

Yeah, gone are the days where you could compare the price of an item from your cupboard with a replacement just purchased and notice the price increase. Now they can sneak up prices without anyone noticing.

There's not many advantages to scan only pricing. It's hard work determining prices of items at Big C and Tesco. Has anyone tried working out the prices in the deep freezers at Villa? Good luck. Bring strong reading glasses.

Just name them why not.

mataleo

Because Thailand has some very draconian defamation laws.

If I could, I would. Thought 'naming and shaming' was not allowed on ThaiVisa? The point is for people to check their receipts wherever they shop - I am sure this has not only happened at this one place in the whole city.

If anyone wants to know the name of the supermarket, they are more than welcome to ask via PM.

Edited by Pattayaparadise

If I could, I would. Thought 'naming and shaming' was not allowed on ThaiVisa? The point is for people to check their receipts wherever they shop - I am sure this has not only happened at this one place in the whole city.

If anyone wants to know the name of the supermarket, they are more than welcome to ask via PM.

I don't know how many times people have made comments about how lousy food is at particular restaurants...or how bad service is at different places, or how bad internet services are by such and such a provider etc etc

It has also been discussed here on many occasions about how good or bad certain supermarkets are with comments about prices, staff service etc. Whole threads have been dedicated to "naming and shaming" hospitals.

Why must this particular supermarket be protected?

(Note: I've mentioned several establishments in post #7 & #53 - perhaps they should be deleted)

Edited by tropo

I don't know how many times people have made comments about how lousy food is at particular restaurants...or how bad service is at different places, or how bad internet services are by such and such a provider etc etc

It has also been discussed here on many occasions about how good or bad certain supermarkets are with comments about prices, staff service etc. Whole threads have been dedicated to "naming and shaming" hospitals.

Why must this particular supermarket be protected?

(Note: I've mentioned several establishments in post #7 & #53 - perhaps they should be deleted)

I like to be careful :)

My intention is not to come on here and 'name and shame', my intention is to make people aware that these things do happen, and are happening in local supermarkets here. As other people have stated, it has happened at other supermarkets around town. The whole point of my post is for people to check their receipts wherever they go.. Supermarkets, family marts, 7-11's, all shops.

It is my choice not to name and shame. If you choose to do so in your posts then that is completely up to you. I don't have to name and shame just because you feel the need to. Like I said, if anyone wants to know which supermarket it is, they are more than welcome to send me a PM.

the suspense is dreadful, for godsake tell us at least the location of this supermarket!!!!!!!!!

the suspense is dreadful, for godsake tell us at least the location of this supermarket!!!!!!!!!

Pattaya Klang

Pattaya Klang

ah you mean the supermarket at the junction of pattaya klang and 2nd road, the name contains o-p-s-t

so no surprise! few time i have been to pattaya and been there, and yes i did notice a real awful service ...

Edited by Bender

I always check my receipt before leaving the shop - helps to read Thai. Big-C has a policy if they overcharge, you get the item free (say over the info desk - in Thai). Quite often the put things on the wrong shelved so the shelf price says something like 200baht and the item rings up at 800baht (correctly) - you can return the item then too (I have in the past for just this - buying a friend (SIL) a cheap toaster shelved at 199baht, but the till rung up 999baht - I took an assistant to show him the shelf and he shrugged, but they refunded the money - and I bought a different model for about the same low price).